FrankenTyne - It's Alive!

FAbb ·  
FAbbFAbb  16406WRX Points: 1,595Members Posts: 16,406
Sometime last year, when I was looking for a putter change, I rolled everything Golf Galaxy had to offer and walked out with a PING Sigma Tyne H. I really enjoyed it, but did find it a bit heavy, and aesthetically wished the fangs were just a bit shorter. I did a crappy MS Paint rendering of what it would look like with shorter fangs, and actually inspired at least one person on here to take a band saw to theirs.

A friend in my club is a professional machinist, and said he could shorten the fangs for me if I was interested. After much waffling, I decided to give it a go. He did superb work, and trimmed them down just enough to get the headweight bang-on at 350g. I believe he said it ended up being right at about .5" trimmed.

Next it went off to a certified cerakote applicator, to be finished in the socom blue color.

I just got it back yesterday, and it turned out fantastic. I can't wait to have it all re-assembled and give it a roll!

2trg5b.jpg

2trg74.jpg

2trg99.jpg

2trbzt.jpg

2trc0v.jpg

2trc1t.jpg
Posted:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche  11801WRX Points: 380Members Posts: 11,801
    Like to reply ratio is strong.

Cerakote is completely maintenance free, that putter should hold up for a long time.
    Posted:
    SIM 9.0°, AD-GP
    Flash SZ 18°, VTS Silver
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

X Forged '18  5-P, PX 6.5
    MD Forged 50/54/58
    SM6 62M

Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT 11s
    Tour BX

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MattMoMattMo  2387WRX Points: 124Handicap: 8Members Posts: 2,387
    My beef with the Tyne is the heavy weight. This looks like a win-win all around: the shorter fangs look great and it's lighter. Well done!
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10.5* w/ Rogue Black
    Ping G25 4W w/ TFC
    Ping G25 20* Hybrid w/ TFC
    Ping ie1 4-U w/ CFS
    Ping Glide 54* WS
    Ping Glide Stealth 58* ES
    Ping BeNi Scottsdale Anser
  • SkhackerSkhacker The Minimalist Golfer  1561WRX Points: 158Handicap: 6Members Posts: 1,561
    Lots of guys doing this. Maybe Ping will take notice. Looks much better when it's a bit more compact. Looks good!
    Posted:
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OH 4127WRX Points: 233Handicap: 10.5Members Posts: 4,127
    Looks a lot like the Cleveland putter with the short wings
    Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Exotics Xrail 3h | 4h | 5h

Cleveland  588 Altitude 6-PW

Cleveland CBX 50*/56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 8.5

• PreppySlapCutPreppySlapCut This is just babytown frolics...  6555WRX Points: 241Members Posts: 6,555
    Very well done!
    Posted:
    Ping G410+ 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6 (X)
    Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Tour 80 (X)
    Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Kuchar Proto 85 (X)
    Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox
  • semarlorsemarlor Charlotte, NC 844WRX Points: 218Members Posts: 844
    I feel like "FrankenTyne" is a very underrated title here...well done, lol.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Smada962Smada962  81WRX Points: 58Handicap: 2Members Posts: 81
    Very nice. Does the cerakote affect the feel of the insert at all?

Here is mine. I had my step dad cut 5/8” off of each fang in a mill, bringing it to 351grams just like yours. I then attempted to touch up the ends but couldn’t find a paint that matched to my liking, so I decided to go a different route and went with white. I was a little sloppy on my masking so it isn’t perfect but I still really like it.
    Posted:
  • FAbbFAbb  16406WRX Points: 1,595Members Posts: 16,406
    The cerakote doesn't have any noticable impact on the feel.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.