2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2019 ISPS Handa Women's Australian Open

Raving Shanker

They must use a ton of water on the course to get it looking so nice and green. If you saw some of the surrounding footage of the area it was completely dry and brown. Areas of Adelaide broke 80 year old records during a heatwave just 3 weeks ago with temps hitting mid 40's to almost 50C. Nice to be able to watch a full round of Lydia's but it was pretty up and down. We get another 5 hours live coverage today...so why only 3hrs on the GC? and as usual when the GC is not the producer it's completely uninterupted and commercial free!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too know of restraining orders... ;)

Yeah BUT...Paula's not leading so.... :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Is Ariya using local caddie?

I didn’t pay attention while watching, but before the season word was she’s got Pernilla Linberg’s husband on the bag to start the year.

What happened to Su? She looked excellent last week, but she's going to struggle just to make the cut here. The afternoon scores looked much higher, no surprise.

Her swing’s too good to play like this.

Nelly having a nice morning round at -4 after 14 holes. Charlie even better at six under for 14 holes. Conditions must be fairly benign early.

On the flip side, Lydia at +4 after 14 holes, and two over the projected cut line. Gotta get moving.

Oy veh. Su is +7 after 14 holes, and +12 for the tournament. I think it's safe to say that she was pressing a bit to try to make the cut. Golf is crazy.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Yeah, ouchie :( Maybe too much pressure on herself trying to repeat last week in front of the home crowd?

I hope she is not unhappy and stays positive. If you had told me at the start that the results of these two tournies would be one MC and one T2, (that had also been a plausible chance to win), I'd have been real happy! That's way better than say two T20's or something, and gives her a much more exciting start than last season. Always another chance next time.

I too know of restraining orders... ;)

Yeah BUT...Paula's not leading so.... :)

TB's restraining orders love includes Blair, Gerina, Paula...who else TB?

There have been so many since Paula...

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

They must use a ton of water on the course to get it looking so nice and green. If you saw some of the surrounding footage of the area it was completely dry and brown. Areas of Adelaide broke 80 year old records during a heatwave just 3 weeks ago with temps hitting mid 40's to almost 50C. Nice to be able to watch a full round of Lydia's but it was pretty up and down. We get another 5 hours live coverage today...so why only 3hrs on the GC? and as usual when the GC is not the producer it's completely uninterupted and commercial free!

They said they had some good rains before the tournament.

They said they had some good rains before the tournament.

Not at all. We had some showers on the Tuesday and Wednesday, but they were a sprinkle. We've had 6.6 mm this year so far. That's about 19 points for you guys. i.e. SFA. But the course is VERY well watered. Some of the semi-rough is just well-watered, high density fairway cooch they've let grow to 5 cm. It can be incredibly gnarly, whilst appearing to be very friendly and short-cut to the eye. It's a factor you may or may not have picked up from the coverage.

Day 2.

I had a short day on the course today, covering some of the lesser known and far less supported players. I spent a bit of time watching Escallon/Daffinrud/Woods. Cheyenne looked in fine form from what I saw, but it was another missed cut for her. Tonje Daffinrud looks a player (Norwegian). Escallon had a double-bogey on 9 that was reminiscent of my own game.

Another group was Duncan/Tseng/Lee (Mi Hyang). Incredibly, when i joined them, i was the only spectator!! Quite a few more joined later on as they headed back into the hub of the course (lazy spectators), but jeez! Tseng is a powerhouse, former World No. 1. I know quite a few people rate Lindsay Duncan. And I find Mi Hyang an incredibly interesting player. Amazing that such a group was so poorly supported. Mi Hyang generates some power for a small woman, with incredible extension through the ball. She drove it about 280 m on the 11th (after birdieing 10), through the outside of a dog leg left. I caught it on video, and having looked at it about 5 times now, I still can't fathom where the power comes from. I'd do 230 m at best, and with recent swing changes, more like 190.Her caddy assured her it was OK, because it was a long way to the rough on the line she took (wrong). And anyway, it was light rough and would be fine - also wrong! Ha ha, the life of a caddy! She looked great though, and had a fine round to get well inside the cut-line at -2.

I got to see the joint leader Wei Ling Hsu birdie 18 (her 9th). It was set up by a crisp wedge approach that i also have on video. She was with Olsen, and a very powerful hitter I have never seen before, Meghan McLaren. I had the Midas touch today with birdies on handicam! Every time I pressed "record" and pointed it, birdies ensued.

That was my day. Meanwhile, elsewhere,Lydia and Su Oh were emphatically missing the cut. I didn't see that coming! But how often do we say those words with golf? I was glad Ariya had a stronger day. My tip is still Haru Nomura

Quite surprised to see Lydia, Ariya, and Georgia miss the cut. Muni is zero for two.

Nice to see Lucky 6 make the cut in her first start as a member. We'll see how she does on moving day.

Still plenty of golf to play. Nelly and Haru are both well positioned.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Quite surprised to see Lydia, Ariya, and Georgia miss the cut. Muni is zero for two.

Nice to see Lucky 6 make the cut in her first start as a member. We'll see how she does on moving day.

? Ariya made the cut.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

No worries about Muni, she seems to be getting an extra push to help her keep her card regardless of what her actual accomplishments on the course are lol. She's gotten sponsors exemption into the 2 next limited field events and I imagine she'll have tons more at the end of the season in the limited field events if she's not qualified for the events by moneylist ranking.

No real complaint, I'm one that believe the sponsors who put up the money should get a couple positions in the field that they feel will help their event. It would just suck if Muni finished 98th on the moneylist and you finished 101th and had to go back to Q-School, cause lets be honest you didn't have the look and couldn't get exemptions lol

No worries about Muni, she seems to be getting an extra push to help her keep her card regardless of what her actual accomplishments on the course are lol. She's gotten sponsors exemption into the 2 next limited field events and I imagine she'll have tons more at the end of the season in the limited field events if she's not qualified for the events by moneylist ranking.

No real complaint, I'm one that believe the sponsors who put up the money should get a couple positions in the field that they feel will help their event. It would just suck if Muni finished 98th on the moneylist and you finished 101th and had to go back to Q-School, cause lets be honest you didn't have the look and couldn't get exemptions lol

Sponsor invites for no cut events won't count as Official Money.

Lily will earn money in Thailand and Singapore; but her official earnings will still be 0.

And I find Mi Hyang an incredibly interesting player. Amazing that such a group was so poorly supported. Mi Hyang generates some power for a small woman, with incredible extension through the ball. She drove it about 280 m on the 11th (after birdieing 10), through the outside of a dog leg left. I caught it on video, and having looked at it about 5 times now, I still can't fathom where the power comes from. I'd do 230 m at best, and with recent swing changes, more like 190.Her caddy assured her it was OK, because it was a long way to the rough on the line she took (wrong). And anyway, it was light rough and would be fine - also wrong! Ha ha, the life of a caddy! She looked great though, and had a fine round to get well inside the cut-line at -2.

I like MHL too. She is cute, has a beautiful, athletic swing and is a proven winner. Evidently that's not enough for most golf fans. They demand more I guess.

Hmmm...Mrs. Ewart-Shadoff with 14/18 greens and 33 putts in round 2? Changing my middle name to Nostradameus.

Lol. C'mon, I could have predicted that with a snow globe or a Magic 8 Ball.

My bad on Ariya. The LPGA website had her listed as cut early this morning, but it has been corrected now.

And I find Mi Hyang an incredibly interesting player. Amazing that such a group was so poorly supported. Mi Hyang generates some power for a small woman, with incredible extension through the ball. She drove it about 280 m on the 11th (after birdieing 10), through the outside of a dog leg left. I caught it on video, and having looked at it about 5 times now, I still can't fathom where the power comes from. I'd do 230 m at best, and with recent swing changes, more like 190.Her caddy assured her it was OK, because it was a long way to the rough on the line she took (wrong). And anyway, it was light rough and would be fine - also wrong! Ha ha, the life of a caddy! She looked great though, and had a fine round to get well inside the cut-line at -2.

I like MHL too. She is cute, has a beautiful, athletic swing and is a proven winner. Evidently that's not enough for most golf fans. They demand more I guess.

Yup. All that! Actually, correction on that drive. I Google-Earthed it and it was more like 256 m, about 280 yards. Still impressive though.

I see Nelly having a really strong season, she has a real great shot at stealing one here, I'm kinda closet cheering for Haru to get a great comeback win after her poor season last year.

I see Nelly blowing by big sis pretty soon in the OWGR Jessica #12 vs Nelly #16. Love to see Nelly and D.K creep into the top ten, but that`s not gonna be easy.

Jessica looked great early last season, but injury has derailed her again.

Lee6 jockeying right up there...however the coverage is so disappointing as I have yet to see one single shot of hers LOL

Her still photos doesn’t do her any justice...IMHO :)

All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fujikura Speeder 65
3-Wood : Callaway FT 15° Neutral Fujikura FitOn 160
3-Hybrid : Adams XTD Dry Proto 21° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
4-Hybrid : Adams XTD DHy Proto 24° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
5-PW : Adams XTD Forged Aldila RIP Tour SLT115
Wedges : Titleist Vokey SM4 52° & 258.08 58° TT Dynamic Gold
Putter : Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade

They showed one shot from Lucky 6, her missed birdie putt on the 18th.

It looks like Nelly is wasting little time grabbing her 2nd win. I expect her to be steady on Sunday.

A handful of players are still in it, including Lucky 6, Haru, and Jin Young. I think they all have the experience of being in a chasing position, and should put some pressure on Nelly, provided they are don't press to hard too early.

Day 3.

I am not sure how you guys do it at tournaments, but this day I tried a new strategy - a 5 hour front 9 excursion. I watched some groups tee off the first, followed them for a while, looped back to the third green, picked up another group. Then I'd follow for a bit then stop at a green and watch some more groups pass through. And gradually i eked my way to to 9th green. Seemed a good strategy, except I missed Nellie's blitz.

The weather forecast has been spot it. It was warmer than the previous days, and with less wind. On each day there is no wind in the morning, and it arrives suddenly around 10 am.

So why the bad scoring? I can't say exactly - but the greens were quickening up, and some tough pin positions took a larger than expected toll. On the 3rd for instance, I watched a procession of pars and bogies, where only one out of 20 players holed a putt that wan't a tap in, and that was Dana Finkelstein, who got up and down from dead, behind the green. Some other holes had similarly tough pin positions.

Early on I watched some of the girls on the range, and Lucky 6 stood out as a superstar in the making! I didn't know who she was, but she has a striking "Who is that?!" impact. And wow, what a swing!

Out on the course I followed Mi Hyang Lee again, but got a bit frustrated with her. She started with a 3-putt par from the fringe on the 1st. Although she got a birdie in the opening holes, she left 3 birdie opportunities out there - missing putts from inside 12 feet. And again, for those interested in why the scoring was higher, this seemed to be it. Pin placements basically.

I watched the group of Minjee Lee and Angel Yin for a bit. They both looked very likely early, but Minjee struggled after some early birdies. Angel is an excitement machine, and seeing her in person, you can see why she attracts so much attention! On the short par 4 7th she bombed a massive drive down the dead middle fairway, going for the green - whilst every other player I have seen has taken a 3-wood or less (usually hybrids or even irons). Was it smart? She ended up in a green-side bunker. Still made birdie though I think!

So far as Minjee was concerned, we got to see the real artistry of the professional golfer in recovering from trouble. On the par 5 5th she hooked her drive but recovered from a hideous lie, with a snap hooked hybrid that created a roar of approval from the large and adoring gallery. It was impressive, but seriously, i could have played that. But on the 7th she hit another recovery that was awe inspiring. In trees again, in sand and pine needles, she had to hit a dart at precisely the right height to move it forward. Well, she did that, and put it inside 10 feet! I swear, a few centimetres higher or lower and that would have stayed int he trees! Great stuff! But she missed the birdie putt :(

Also caught some pretty good golf from Charley Hull, Celine Boutier (who has backed up from the Vic Open impressively), Xiyu Lin, Lindsay Weaver and others.

And how about the tournament? I was there for Nellie Korda's 3 bogies on the opening 3 holes of the tournament, and there was nothiong to suggest she would be where she is now! Haru is still looking a fair chance though. We shall see. I gotta go right now!

I think many of us forget that this is a national open. It's supposed to be tough. Once they get a feel for the conditions and the scoring, they generally get brutal in the third round.

Definitely looking forward to the finish. Lots of great stories waiting to be written.