2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Bandon Caddies

Cfrat18

We had Andy and Wyeth (sorry I don't know their last name) in late Jan and early Feb. Both were great. They were more on the laid back side, would have a cocktail with us when offered, but still took their jobs seriously. They're both senior loopers so certainly knew their stuff and were very happy we went with them.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

Here are few of the better caddies I've had or been in group with.

They cost a bit more and they can also double bag 36 holes as if it's a walk in the park

Jason Humphrey - One of the best caddies down there.

Kirin - don't know last name but he's an Irish guy, really good golfer himself

Amos Baker - taller guy, funny as hell, really good at reading greens

Burley - Think it's Burleson but another good one

Everybody relax, I’m here

Liked Jon Satterblom a lot. He used to caddy on Tour for Woody Austin and was really solid at the golf part, but was quite a character and had a droll, sarcastic sense of humor that meshed perfectly with our group. He seemed really good at knowing when to stay clear of our conversations and when to chime in, or when to try and perk up a down player or leave them alone.

Bryan Church has caddied for me a couple of times and is a great guy, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. Also, I would second desaille's recommendation of Ciaran (I think that's how it's spelled but definitely pronounced "Kirin"), from Ireland. He caddied for my buddy, nice guy and he was an absolute stick, he hit a couple of drives just horsing around.

Kent was telling me a story of how there is a group of like 40+ guys that come in once a year. Everyone of them takes a caddy and throws $100 into a pool. They have a KP contest for the caddies on Trails #17 from the blacks, winner take all.

That would be a great pay day.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

• 10 months later...

I'll be out there to take in the experience, the architecture, etc. I'm a single digit but playing alone and not for money, I'm far less concerned with score, reading greens perfectly, etc. So where I see certain value in paying extra for the caddie is not in lugging my bag or giving yardages, but in sort of being a course guide. Talking about the strategy, the design of each hole, different options of where to play. That is what gets my juices really flowing and I think I'd miss a lot of that if I was just out there figuring it out on my own.

With that said, is that unrealistic to think I will find a caddie who would be interested in that kind of role? Someone who wants to engage in those conversations? Having caddied myself and being in the yard, I can imagine this scenario is an absolute nightmare for some caddies who would just rather be out there doing their normal thing. Am I in search of a unicorn? I've left a message at the caddie services line and hope to have the convo with them, but figured you'd have thoughts.

A caddy's role is the role you ask them to perform. Good ones have no problem adapting.

And how is talking about the strategy of a hole, not one of their core functions?

Never taken a caddy at Bandon, but of the ones I've been in groups with, I'd call only 1 of them not good. The rest have been decent or better.

There should be no problem getting what you are looking for.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Bryan Church has caddied for me a couple of times and is a great guy, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. Also, I would second desaille's recommendation of Ciaran (I think that's how it's spelled but definitely pronounced "Kirin"), from Ireland. He caddied for my buddy, nice guy and he was an absolute stick, he hit a couple of drives just horsing around.

+1 for Irish. He's great. I had him on my bag last year. We have had him the last few years. Likely will see him next week while we are there! I'm going no caddies this year tho to save a few bucks.

A caddy's role is the role you ask them to perform. Good ones have no problem adapting.

And how is talking about the strategy of a hole, not one of their core functions?

Never taken a caddy at Bandon, but of the ones I've been in groups with, I'd call only 1 of them not good. The rest have been decent or better.

Thanks for this. I caddied at a high end private course in the northeast and what you're describing was not our norm. But maybe that was borne of members who knew the course as well, so it was a lot more of reading greens and almost entirely forecaddying and carrying two bags.

Thanks for this. I caddied at a high end private course in the northeast and what you're describing was not our norm. But maybe that was borne of members who knew the course as well, so it was a lot more of reading greens and almost entirely forecaddying and carrying two bags.

I think one finds the roles of caddies at a destination golf resort like Bandon or Pebble is very different than a high end private club. At the club, every member already knows the history and local gossip and tales, and has probably played the course so many times they know all the strategic tips and design concepts. The caddie’s role is more to give a playing advantage. At the resort, pretty much every player is a visitor, and most will be new to the course. The caddie’s role is much more varied, ranging from travel guide, where the player is more out for a vacation stroll, to player’s assistant where the player is focusing on their career best round. Caddies at these places are versatile and adapt to the group they have that day, and I think they’re often hired more for their personality than their extensive golf skills (although most are not lacking in the latter).

I think one finds the roles of caddies at a destination golf resort like Bandon or Pebble is very different than a high end private club. At the club, every member already knows the history and local gossip and tales, and has probably played the course so many times they know all the strategic tips and design concepts. The caddie’s role is more to give a playing advantage. At the resort, pretty much every player is a visitor, and most will be new to the course. The caddie’s role is much more varied, ranging from travel guide, where the player is more out for a vacation stroll, to player’s assistant where the player is focusing on their career best round. Caddies at these places are versatile and adapt to the group they have that day, and I think they’re often hired more for their personality than their extensive golf skills (although most are not lacking in the latter).

That's great to hear. I was talking to a friend at work (who I just found out named his first born Bandon) and that's how he described his -- like a tour guide. Never realized he was such a golf nut until he overheard I was going out there.

since 2001 I've played over 60 rounds at Bandon. Never hired a caddie but have played in many groups with caddies. From what I saw, all have been competent.

A common complaint at other resorts is that many caddies are just 'bag carrriers' rather than true 'caddies' who offer helpful insight. The Bandon caddies are real caddies.

(Only comment: if a Bandon caddie tells you that Tom Doak used a teaspoon to move very little earth to create hole #___ at Pacific Dunes, perhaps be a little skeptical.)

I've had mixed feelings with the caddies at Bandon. Overall, I've had 4 caddies at Bandon. Two were excellent and I would love to have them again. One was OK. He was basically a bag carrier and didn't know much about golf. Lastly, I had one terrible caddie that talked too much about himself, inserted himself into every conversations, gave a lot of unsolicited and unwarranted advice, etc. As has been said before, a great caddie adapts him/her self to what the group wants. Most of them are pretty good at it, but you need to be able to tell if the group wants a guy to shut up and carry the bag or if they want a guy to read every putt and pretend they're on tour.

I've had mixed feelings with the caddies at Bandon. Overall, I've had 4 caddies at Bandon. Two were excellent and I would love to have them again. One was OK. He was basically a bag carrier and didn't know much about golf. Lastly, I had one terrible caddie that talked too much about himself, inserted himself into every conversations, gave a lot of unsolicited and unwarranted advice, etc. As has been said before, a great caddie adapts him/her self to what the group wants. Most of them are pretty good at it, but you need to be able to tell if the group wants a guy to shut up and carry the bag or if they want a guy to read every putt and pretend they're on tour.

Do you remember the names of the two who were excellent? Thank you in advance.