Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro Series.

Comments

• dhen9dhen9  692Members Posts: 692
    Looking at Mizuno Europe site they emotion wedges. I'm curious if there is a G wedge as on EU site there's no specs for a G wedge on either 919HM or HM Pro.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • tbonetwtbonetw  387Members Posts: 387
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Diamana D+ Whiteboard
    Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ Whiteboard
    Ping G410 Crossover 3
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4 iron KBS Tour 120
    Ping S56 5-PW KBS Tour 120
    Ping Glide 2.0 52*
    Titleist Vokey SM7 58*
    Wilson Infinite West Loop Putter
    Snell MTB X
    mtex22 wrote:

tbonetw wrote:

I got a set early (shhhh). I'm playing 4 rounds over the next 3 days so I'll respond back on Monday with a review for those of you interested. I can also post a few more pics as well. As for looks I think they look great. Offset is minimal. I agree the blade length is a little longer in the long irons (think Srixon 785). However the topline, offset, and overall size don't look much different from my Titleist TMBs even though they are slightly longer. I'm looking forward to seeing what the performance and feel is like compared to my current irons.

Lucky man!! Please report back asap with a review and some pics of them in the wild!!

I should have taken pictures out there! Particularly when we were playing in a sleet storm!

So I played 4 rounds. Unfortunately in 32-40 degree weather in a myriad of cruddy conditions. However, I'll give my initial impressions.

First I didn't buy the GW as it is a standard Hot metal. And frankly I prefer my Vokey gap wedge so I wouldn't use it anyway. A 4-Pw set is $875.

I bought them with the stock C Taper Lite shafts. When I did the Swing DNA thing last year it was one of the shafts I tried and I liked it. I was testing the JPX Forged.

One thing I like that Mizuno is doing is putting the MCC on standard as that's what I use so it saved me $80.00 in grips.

I haven't been on a launch monitor as I didn't even get a chance to hit them before I bought them. I got a chance to see them early and I just really like the way they look. I figured if I don't like them I can always use the policy that allows you to return them for a different set. And because it was so cold I really don't know about distance with any detail. It was freezing and I had 3 layers on so I hit a lot of 3/4 shots. I'll have to get on a launch monitor to see what distance gains I might have so I won't really comment on distance except to say that even in those conditions I didn't see a drastic drop off in distance from my current gamers in good weather so I suspect they will be longer than my TMBs.

I like my TMBs. I hit them well and I've played some solid golf with them. Essentially there are only a couple of things I don't like about them which is why I've been looking at new products. First is the feel/sound. They definitely have a louder sound and a more firm feel than most clubs I've owned . I've historically been an MP player. The TMBs are really loud on marginal strikes. That's when you hear the hollow clanky sound from them. Second is I still think they have some work to do on the COG. If I could give Titleist feedback it would be to get the COG higher in the shorter clubs. I hit my 7-PW very high and I'm not a high ball hitter. I'm a mid-flight player and that's what I prefer. I had 716 TMBs originally so I've been playing the T-MB full set for a long time. I've just tolerated the high ball flight in the shorter irons because as I said I've played some good golf with them. Last, while they are forgiving for their size I definitely was looking for a little more forgiveness and something that 'looks' more forgiving as I only play about once a week now and I rarely practice.

Appearance:

I really love the way they look which is why I bought them. Very modern and sleek. Similar to the Forged, but it looks like they may have slightly less offset than the Forged. I prefer very little offset. As for the overall design I find the size to look similar to the I210. Slightly longer blade length in the 4 and 5 irons. They were exactly what I was looking for. I was also looking at the i210, the i500 and the new Apex. My 2 favorites from an appearance point of view were the i210 and now the HM Pro. The Apex has too much offset (or they do a bad job of hiding it). The i500 is nice, but looks like an iblade to me at address and again I was looking for something slightly more forgiving looking. So to me the i210 and the HM Pro are very similar at address.

Feel:

This was the biggest surprise. I wasn't sure what to expect. I hit the Hot metals one time. The regular ones as a buddy bought a set. But literally I hit 2 balls. I've hit the Forged quite a bit as I considered buying them. Obviously none of these feel like an MP and at this point I'm okay with that. I will sacrifice some feel for performance. To a point. For a cast club the i210 feels about as good as anything I've hit. I find these to be similarly solid, yet soft. They say they put some kind of sound ribs(I have no idea what that means) to hit specific vibration patterns(again, no idea). However I think they feel great so whatever Mizuno actually did, they did a really good job at making these have a really nice feel. Again I was playing in just miserable weather. I was using a Pro V1X. The sound is just really solid and powerful. Not sharp at all. They don't feel or sound like the Ping. But they both felt very solid to me and certainly on the soft side for a cast club. The HM Pro feels much better than I expected so from that point of view I'm ecstatic. That's basically a bonus.

Performance:

Just like with the feel/sound I had no idea what to expect. They're Mizunos so I knew they'd be good clubs. But I had no idea how they'd perform. Particularly ball flight which is near the top of my list for reasons to buy new clubs. As I mentioned I have no idea how far I will inevitably hit these, but I anticipate hitting them 6 or 7 yards farther than my TMBs given the lofts in the long and mid irons. I hit a fairly straight ball so I'm rarely trying to move the ball a lot. If I do I'm typically hitting a little cut. I had no issue moving the ball the way I prefer. There are a few holes on this course (Pine Dunes in Frankston, Tx. The middle of nowhere, but a great golf course) where you can drive the ball on the wrong side of the fairway and depending on the pin get stuck behind big tall trees and be forced to move the ball substantially to hit the green, much less get near the hole. On those occasions I was able to move the ball quite a lot which I didn't expect. I can move them substantially more than the T-MBs. My opinion is that the HM Pro spins more. Which is a good thing. Something I didn't mention is the TMBs don't spin enough. They stop because of the height. The HM Pro definitely has more spin, but not too much which brings me to ball flight. I find the new 'player's distance' irons don't spin enough. I was really happy to see that my standard ball flight was a strong mid trajectory. And I could easily knock them down when needed. Frankly the versatility with the ballflight is exactly what I was looking for and my biggest question with them before I hit them. Particularly with the short irons. The 4 iron is going to kick my Callaway UT out of the bag. It is an awesome tool. It feels as forgiving as the Callaway and again I was able to flight is much more easily. As for stopping, I had no issue stopping the ball. They did exactly what I want them to do. One hop and stop. Also, the distance control is outstanding. I never had one get away from me. The distance was very predictable. I had a number of 115-120 yard punch/knockdown pitching wedges I hit for example and the ball consistently went exactly the distance I expected. Additionally given that we played the same course 4 straight rounds in the same conditions I had basically a lot of the same distances round to round and the clubs consistently produced the same result.

Overall:

So far I'm really pleased and looking forward to hitting them indoors with a launch monitor as well as in good weather on my home course. At this point they've checked every box that needed to be checked to get me to put the TMB away and potentially sell them. They look great, they feel great, and the performance is just fantastic. I'm not sure exactly why Mizuno felt the need to add this set to the mix given they have the Forged, but I'm glad they did. I was told they didn't know if they would initially bring them to the US market which is why most people had no idea they were coming. But basically if you're looking for a powerful, forgiving, great looking players club you should look at them. I would, and did, choose them over the Forged. They're a little more forgiving, they (to me) look slightly better to me at address. AND they're $300 cheaper. Feel wise they aren't better or worse to me. Just different.

After I get some time on a launch monitor this week I'll report back.
    Posted:
    Ping G410 Crossover 3
    Ping Glide 2.0 52*
    Titleist Vokey SM7 58*
    Snell MTB X
  • goheels11goheels11  406ClubWRX Posts: 406
    Thanks Tbone! Great summary. Your feedback has me intrigued. What shaft in your TMB’s?
    Posted:
  • nDroid3nDroid3 USA 106Members Posts: 106
    thanks Tbone!. I guess you confirmed my biggest question on these...which was if it had a matching Gap wedge. With it being the standard HotMetal, I'll likely pick up a 52 and 58 wedge set.
    Posted:
    Yeh I may look at the Mizuno wedges also as mine are about 2 years old now. I've played Vokeys for a long time, but the Mizunos look good. Once I confirm I'm selling both my other sets of irons I'll probably get some. Gotta do it without her knowing lol image/nono.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':nono:' /> . She doesn't know I bought these lol. Or the driver. She knows I bought my Wilson putter a while ago because it was $79.99 image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Posted:
    Ping G410 Crossover 3
    Ping Glide 2.0 52*
    Titleist Vokey SM7 58*
    Snell MTB X

Advertisement
  • SCOTT4099SCOTT4099  1018Members Posts: 1,018
    Sorry if already asked but does anyone know the retail price for a set?

Thanks
    Posted:
    Callaway epic 9.0
    Cobra bio cell 3/4
    Ping G 19 degree hybrid
    Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
    Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
    Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 2800Members Posts: 2,800
    SCOTT4099 wrote:

Thanks

4-PW + AW on Dick’s is $1000

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/mizuno-jpx-919-hot-metal-pro-irons-steel-19mizmjpx919htmtlirn/19mizmjpx919htmtlirn
    Posted:
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • SCOTT4099SCOTT4099  1018Members Posts: 1,018
    noodle3872 wrote:

SCOTT4099 wrote:

Thanks

4-PW + AW on Dick’s is $1000

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/mizuno-jpx-919-hot-metal-pro-irons-steel-19mizmjpx919htmtlirn/19mizmjpx919htmtlirn

Thanks
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Callaway epic 9.0
    Cobra bio cell 3/4
    Ping G 19 degree hybrid
    Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
    Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
    Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35
  • liptrotliptrot  169Members Posts: 169
    I was told that back of 5 iron and even 6 iron was visible at address. Wondering if that is the case for those who have had them in hand. Thx
    Posted:
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster  6692Members Posts: 6,692
    Where do these fall in terms of categorization? Players, players distance, game improvement?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • otwotw Doug Ferreri  332Members Posts: 332
    liptrot wrote:

I was told that back of 5 iron and even 6 iron was visible at address. Wondering if that is the case for those who have had them in hand. Thx
    4 iron yes , 6 iron no Didn't hit the 5 at PGA Demo day.
    Posted:
    "Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.paulbertholy.com

www.dougferreri.com
  • goheels11goheels11  406ClubWRX Posts: 406
    You can see the back in the 4 and 5 iron if you are looking.
    Posted:
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm  1978Members Posts: 1,978

Where do these fall in terms of categorization? Players, players distance, game improvement?

"players game improvement"

Someone who is not just a one round a quarter hack, trying to improve their game, who wants a nicer looking iron and has a ~15hcp. Along those lines.

Basically someone who cant play a 'tour' MB blade type club but needs a little bit of the GI aspect of CB irons, but doesnt want a huge chunky shovel.
    Posted:

Someone who is not just a one round a quarter hack, trying to improve their game, who wants a nicer looking iron and has a ~15hcp. Along those lines.

Basically someone who cant play a 'tour' MB blade type club but needs a little bit of the GI aspect of CB irons, but doesnt want a huge chunky shovel.

As a 5, these should be right up my ally if I'm looking for something workable, high and low flighting, but forgiving? I won't be purchasing without demoing, but want some feedback in regards if I should give them a look?
    Posted:
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan  6800Members Posts: 6,800

As a 5, these should be right up my ally if I'm looking for something workable, high and low flighting, but forgiving? I won't be purchasing without demoing, but want some feedback in regards if I should give them a look?

Maybe a combo of HM Pro in the long irons and 919F would be suitable for you. Best of both worlds - the sole in the HMPro is still fairly wide, which usually works well in long irons as well as offering additional forgiveness.
    Posted:
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8

Advertisement
    SwingMan wrote:

Maybe a combo of HM Pro in the long irons and 919F would be suitable for you. Best of both worlds - the sole in the HMPro is still fairly wide, which usually works well in long irons as well as offering additional forgiveness.

That could be an option as well.
    Posted:
  • rfarrell51rfarrell51  1349Members Posts: 1,349
    Sorry but when are these due for release? March?
    Posted:
    Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
    TM M2 3 wood
    King Cobra F6 5 wood
    Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
    Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
    Mizuno T7 56
    Evnroll ER1
  • SFargoSFargo  7Members Posts: 7
    rfarrell51 wrote:

Today’s the day. Check the Mizuno USA website. ����
    Posted:
  • mtex22mtex22 San Diego, CA 2235Members Posts: 2,235 BST Banned
    rfarrell51 wrote:

I thought it was today. You can actually buy them online but I called the stores in town and nobody has inventory on the irons or the woods. Very strange!
    Posted:
    CLEVELAND CLASSIC 310 9.5 - LA Golf Shafts Tphde
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    SRIXON Z585 4-PW - Modus 105
    TITLIEST SM7 54/58
    CARBON HOLLIDAY - 303 GSS Flowneck
  • cbbaroncbbaron Quincy Mass 1077Members Posts: 1,077
    mtex22 wrote:

rfarrell51 wrote:

I thought it was today. You can actually buy them online but I called the stores in town and nobody has inventory on the irons or the woods. Very strange!
    My friend that owns a range and is a Ping and Mizuno fitter got his demo heads today
    Posted:
    Driver Ping G400 Max Hzrdas Yellow
    3w Titleist 915 Aldila Silver
    19 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    22 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    5- GW. Mizuno Hot Metal Pro Series Nippon Modus 120
    Sw Vokey 54 SM7 S grind
    LW Vokey 58 SM5 S grind
    Putter Scotty Cameron Newport Select Fastback 2

Advertisement
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro AL 3282ClubWRX Posts: 3,282
    I saw these today st my local Edwin Watts. I think they look great. I like the black logo in the cavity. May paint my SC to match.

The comparison to the TMB, ap3, apex is spot on. I think mizuno has a hit with these.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Titleist TS3 19 hybrid
    Titleist T200 4-gap
    Vokey SM7 52/58 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
    Hit the 7 iron at my buddies shop today. Very nice. Surprising amount of spin. Started w modus 105, switched to dg 105, and ended up on c taper lite to bring down spin. Tight dispersion. I’d like to hit them off grass to see sole interaction
    Posted:
  • soap1984soap1984  729Members Posts: 729
    The article I read did say these would be available in lefty but given mizuno I wouldn't be shocked if the information was wrong and they don't make lefty. Mizuno is the worst in that regard, their best irons never get made in lefty it sucks.
    Posted:
    Epic Flash - Diamana BF 
    Ping G - 17 Hybrid
    Ping G410 - 19 Hybrid
    Titleist TMB 4 Iron, AP2 5-PW (modus 105)
    Vokey SM7 50, 56, 62
    Spider x
  • reider69reider69  615Members Posts: 615
    soap1984 wrote:

The article I read did say these would be available in lefty but given mizuno I wouldn't be shocked if the information was wrong and they don't make lefty. Mizuno is the worst in that regard, their best irons never get made in lefty it sucks.

Irons on Mizuno website. No lefty.
    Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
    liptrot wrote:
    Hit the 7 iron at my buddies shop today. Very nice. Surprising amount of spin. Started w modus 105, switched to dg 105, and ended up on c taper lite to bring down spin. Tight dispersion. I’d like to hit them off grass to see sole interaction

Where they all stiff flex? How did the DG 105 feel? Is it soft to flex?

Thanks
    Posted:
    Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
    TM M2 3 wood
    King Cobra F6 5 wood
    Mizuno T7 56
    Evnroll ER1

Advertisement
    All stiff flex. I’m usually not an xstiff guy. Could have been the way I was swinging. As I said, dispersion was ridiculously tight. Current shaft is modus 105 stiff in my srixons.

Dg 105 felt fine. I typically prefer the profile of the modus
    Posted:
    Anyone try these with the PX LZ 5.5? Thoughts?
    Posted:
    Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
    TM M2 3 wood
    King Cobra F6 5 wood
    Mizuno T7 56
    Evnroll ER1
    Anyone else see these in person? For a product to be out for the public to purchase, I haven’t found any local shops carrying them yet, not even for demo purposes.
    Posted:

Advertisement

Players Distance Irons.

Similar to the TM p790, Cobra Forgetec, and its own brother, 919 Forged Irons.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file