Your Best Round Ever....What Stands Out?

Skippy405

My new personal best is a 62 (-10). Main takeaway is that i left a 15ft birdie putt on 18 about an inch short in the heart ? but seriously, i remember bogeying the 9th hole after being -4 thru 8, and i was so livid with myself i went into a little zone of anger/determination... Resulting in 6 straight birdies, a 10ft missed putt on 16, birdie on 17 and the aforementioned missed putt on 18. Probably the closest to being in "the zone" I've ever been. I also remember coming out the next day and needing to absolutely grind my a** off to shoot level... 10 shots worse but really felt pretty similar to me, funny how golf works

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zero anxiety or stress. Felt like I could visualize every shot before I hit it. Never had a putt I felt unsure about. Had things go my way (holed a bunker shot). 6 birdies and 1 bogey, which was a missed 3' putt. Felt like the course was "in front of me" all day. Knew I had a great round but didn't know the actual score until I added it up at the end. Actually walked away disappointed because of the missed putt, but snapped out of it later as I reflected on the round. It didn't feel like I did anything special, just played boring, consistent golf and made putts (except that stupid 3-footer, lol).

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

I remember putting in from off the frnge on the 9th hole, a par five, for eagle to shoot 31 on the front and then birding 10. Then it sunk in that was 6 under and the didn't make anythign the rest of the round. I was 16, shot 65, I got looping into a big money game by another memeber. He told me that he would back me. I won like $500 and went an bought new irons that afternoon.

I played my best round on a links style course I didn’t know. I’m an 18, so I was focused on breaking 90 for months. I skipped my normal warmup (just hit a few chips) and went to the first tee.

By the turn my friends knew I was having a round and sort of left me alone. Short of two errant drives, I was in or near the fairway and pin high most of the day. Short game was on point too and I made a few putts.

A few things I can remember:

- it’s the first time I played a round without hitting driver

- I braved poison oak and hit a crazy recovery shot to save one stroke

- I didn’t want anyone to tell me my score. I made a double on 16 and was worried my goal was out of reach

- 18 requires a tee shot over a canyon to a blind, elevated fairway. When I hit that fairway, I was confident I could get my number

When all was said and done, asked my buddy if I broke 90. He told me I killed it and was mid 80s. I shot a 85 (7 strokes under my personal best). I was over the moon when we finally added them up in bar. One of my favorite days ever on a course.

Second-last year of high school. Shot a 5-under 61 at my school's "home course". We didn't host tournaments there, because it was a shorter course and only par 66, but we practiced there every day.

Two things stood out on that round:

1) I bogeyed the easiest hole on the course. Like, it's a stupid easy par 3. Straight & flat. I chunked my tee shot, flubbed a chip, got it on, and one putted for a 4.

2) I eagled the 15th hole in spectacular fashion. It's about a 260 yard par 4 from the back tees, and it's a pretty daunting approach, regardless of whether or not you try and go for it in 1. I striped a 2 iron and landed it about 20-25 feet from the hole. Unfortunately, my ball came to rest on a really slippery ridge on the green, and my put had to go uphill and almost away from the hole before it could snake its way down...but I somehow dropped it.

Haven't come even remotely close to that score since then. I think my next best round was 75 or 76

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS w/Tensei Orange // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Adams Idea Pro a12 w/UST VTS //

Callaway X Forged 2018 5-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* & Full Toe 64* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

I can very honestly say that I don't even remember my best round, score or anything. I can remember a handful of really good, or really bad shots over the years, not much more than that. If I think hard, a few random rounds come to mind, mostly if I was playing with my dad, or won a tournament in high school, or something like that. I have never really been one of those guys who can remember shot by shot rounds, or that course you played once a few years ago, stuff like that doesn't stick in my head. Hell, I have a hard time remembering what my score was on the last hole, (seriously)

My best round ever started out with wicked shanks on the practice range. Not just a couple hozel rockets, but every shot! One of those “what is going on here” moments and after a dozen or so that seemed to be headed dangerously sideways across the range, I decided it would be safer to putt a little. I had absolutely no expectations for my round.

When the marshal called for our tee time, I stepped up on the tee box and ripped a drive leaving a wedge and 2 putts for par. Ok, not sure where that came from, surprising but I’ll take it! Fast forward through the round and I shot 35-38 for a score of 73!

I think I missed 2 fairways, had 13 GIR, and my short game and putting was on fire.

I learned a valuable lesson that day of my best round that if I can get out of my own way (over-thinking/over-trying) and just let things happen, the results can be pretty satisfying.

So I just crunched some data on my best & worst 20 rounds recorded. I currently play off of 8. My scoring average in my best 20 rounds was 79.1, compared to 90.2 in my worst 20 rounds.

BIGGEST DIFFERENCES:

- In my 20 best rounds, I averaged 46% GIR (~8/rd.) compared to 23% (~4/rd.) in worst - I thought my GIR % in my best rounds would be higher

- In my 20 best rounds, I scrambled at a rate of 34%, compared to 13% in my worst 20 rounds

SOME SURPRISES:

- In my 20 best rounds, I averaged 32 putts/rd., compared to 34 putts/rd. in my worst 20 rounds - I thought this discrepancy would be larger

- In my 20 best rounds, I made 54% FIR, compared to 47% in my worst 20 rounds (further proof this statistic is borderline useless)

No triples, no lost balls, no hero shots, took an extra club on danger holes, no four putts, stayed in the short grass - drove it straight all day ... the few times I have broken 100 from the blue tees.

The Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max 10.5° Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 Max 5w/7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h/5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 5-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS Z-115

Oddysey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie 33"

No double bogeys, hit most fairways, chipping and putting game was beyond reality. Had some good luck as well. Shot a 3 under 68 as an 11 handicapper. The cup looked like it was 3' in diameter. I was playing a set of Adam's max game improvement irons too, which I promptly sold in WRX fashion.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

In our little weekly men's league this past week, a couple of us got to talking about our best round of golf.

Immediately, I thought back to the 13th hole. It's par 3, the #1 handicap hole on the course, with a couple front bunkers, OB right, trees left. It measures at 190 to the middle. That day there was a pretty good breeze, probably 10-12 mph coming into our face and left to right, pushing any ball that gets hung out right, OB. I was vividly aware of my current lifetime best score within grasp, and frantically attempting not to visualize it disappearing with a push/fade that drifts OB, carrying my tears of despair with it. I pulled a 5 iron, I remember thinking to myself that it is definitely a full, hard 5 with the wind, maybe even a 4. If I go with the 4, and try to make a nice, easy swing, the chances of me blocking it increase, whereas my miss when I try to jump on one is almost always a pull hook. Obviously not the best line of thinking when trying to make a golf shot, I'm aware. I pure the 5 with a gentle draw, landing it softly on the center of the green. I wish I could end this tale with a 18' right to left breaker that died in the center of the cup, but I was completely satisfied with a two putt par. Of all the golf shots that day that led to my best round ever, that 5 iron sticks in my mind the most.

I would like to hear some of your stories, what shots did you make, or maybe you caught a good break on a bad swing, that eventually led to your best round?

Hit terrible and made everything I looked at. -7

Shot level par. And honestly nothing really stood out apart from the fact I remember not having 1 single Technical swing thought.. I accepted everything that came my way. Got up and down a bunch of times. Didn't bother me if I missed greens and I wasn't striking it all that well.. but I kept it in play.. suffice to say it's been a while but I'm slowly learning to play like that again.

• 2 weeks later...

I can’t call it a best round, but I had a pretty good stretch today. With the unseasonably warm temperatures this week in NC, it seemed a good time to get out and play with shorts on. Was able to get in a late afternoon nine with some friends. We didn’t tee off until almost 4:30, so getting done before dark was almost out of the question. I bogeyed the first hole and made double on the last (a downhill par 3 in easily the darkest conditions I have played in—it wasn’t pitch black yet, but it was awfully close to it).

My scores on holes two through eight were as follows: par - ? - ? - ? - par - ? - ?. I have never had a barrage of birdies at one time like that before. What was most notable is something I have gleaned from my best previous rounds—they almost always come when I have really good iron and wedge play. I was able to get into decent positions off the tee, and then stuck my wedges and irons close. The longest putt I made in that stretch was around 15 feet. Everyrhing else was inside 10. Ended up posting 34, which I have done a few times before (but certainly never with a double bogey on the card).

I got to the 18th tee at my club (par 70) with a gross score of 74. I was looking at breaking 80 off the standard tees for the first time ever.

The 18th at my club is a little tricky. It's a long(ish) par 4 and the green is narrow front to back and on a slight platform. As a result I have to lay up just before the bunkers so that I can attempt a wedge in. It is also tree lined and a bit narrow initially so you have to be careful with your drive.

It's typically a double bogey for me but on this particular day my ball striking had been phenomenal. I'd hardly put a foot wrong and in fact had pulled off several great shots. I was in the zone! So I rocked up to the tee with my driver in hand, and decided to go for it. Maybe I'd actually be able to attempt a GIR for once but at least I'd finish with another great drive.

So I let fly..and put a lovely push fade on the ball sending it towards the trees on the right :(

That cost me a punch out then I had to do my usual layup and I two putted out for a double bogey.

So I walked off with 80. Still a very nice score - and the joint best ever. But I failed to break 80 because I got too cocky. Hey ho :)

I don't remember too many details from my best round, it was pretty boring. Just remember trying to make smooth swings and good contact and not worry about where the ball ended up. I was taking an extra club on almost every approach shot and hitting it easy all day.

TaylorMade M5

Titleist 917F3
Cobra King F6 Baffler
Cobra King Forged MB 4-P
Cobra King Raw 50 • 54 • 58
Scotty Cameron IBDD
Titleist Pro V1x

Calmness, never felt pressure

Clarity, did a lot better job of placing my shots for a better next shot

Confidence, birdied 1, which is the number 1 handicap and usually gives me problems

Cart Partner, playing with a 2-3 HC guy that really helped me stay on track

Lastly a little good luck! Shot a 76 that day it was maybe my 10-11th time ever in the 70’s

Mizuno jpx. 900 driver 661 stiff
Titleist 910 3H
Mizuno JPX 825 4-gw project X 5.0
Hogan Apex GW 50 bent to 52
Mizuno ,jpx 58 sw
Odyssey o works Tank 1
Ball , Srixon zstar or zstar vx

It an club tournament series scored like the FedEx cup playoff. I can't forget lipping out an 18" tap in because I was too casual about the putt. That still bugs me.

Biggest and best memory is the Ace on our 17th hole. Never saw it go in because the setting sun was creating a glare off the green. Helped me win the "net" division that year.

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

It's usually putting. When I have days where I make literally effing everything, its game over.

To be honest, the combo of finding fairways off the tee and getting up and down/putting puts me in the low 70's or better. You won't be pin hunting on every approach shot so that wedge and putter game around the green needs to be strong.

You want low scores, find fairways, and get up and down around the green.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist 716 MB PW-6i / T100 4i-5i Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

• 1 month later...

Not my best 9, but my most memorable. I shot 37 and had 8 putts. I chipped in twice and got it up and down from a creek 40 yards away from the green.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff D9 forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

Shot 73 (+1) from the tips at OCN Panther Lake course. I spent all night with a stomach flu and had very little energy to start the day. I didn’t think I had a chance of playing a round like that when I teed it up. Made par on 1 and 2 headed to hole 3 which was a 470yard par 4 straight into a 15mph wind. Nutted driver like 245 and had 3 wood into the green over bunkers and elevated a bit. Nutted 3 wood to 15 ft and sank the birdie. That sequence alone propelled me to a great round. Not my best score to par ever but under the conditions I consider it my best round.

Played Pebble Beach on my honeymoon for the first time ever and shot even-par 72 from the tips on really sandy aerated greens, two birdies two bogeys, 17/18 GIR.

Myself and two strangers walked the course with three caddies, it was not busy at all, never had to wait to hit a shot, was a beautiful sunny ~70 degree day with a very light breeze, and we all had a great time.

I played very well and was able to soak in every single amazing step of that course and the surroundings.

I've had many great scoring rounds, but that's a round I'll remember forever.

Not by best round ever but last weekend was my best 9-hole score. I had a Par on the first 6 holes, birdied 7, par on 8. I was 4 strokes away from being 1-under par for 9 holes. I've never done that before, nor did I. I missed an 8 footer for par. Shot even par 36 on my outgoing 9. What stands out was the back nine. Where I went Double, Par, Par, Bogey, Par, Par, Bogey, Bogey, Bogey for a whopping 43. Just barely broke 80. SMDH!! Oh golf!

My only round ever under par...I shot 69 on a par 72 course but it was a weird one. It was one of those days I was just going to go out and play as many holes as I could in a couple of hours because I had to pick my son up from daycare by 5:30. Well, I get to hole 12 and I'm -2 and I start trying to figure out how I can finish the round. I called my wife to see if she'd be able to pick up my son but forgot she had an appointment and couldn't. At that point, I drove the cart to my car and went to pick up my son (almost 4 at the time) and told him we're heading to the golf course because I had to finish a round. Luckily a buddy and his son around the same age showed up when I got back so I finished out the round. Had a bogey on 13 with a 3 putt. Birdied 14, 15, 16 and another bogey on 17 and a par on 18 to finish with a 69. It was surreal. Obviously not the ideal way to shoot your lowest score but sometimes you just have to do whatever it takes just in case you can pull off a miracle on the course haha. That was in October of 2017 and unfortunately the closest I've gotten to doing it again was an even par 72.

I guess what stood out most to me was that I was able to keep it together while also keeping tabs on my son and it may have actually helped me since I was half focused on that and I didn't let as many bad thoughts creep into my head.

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch