2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Callaway epic flash? is this legit? (New Pics added Pg 1)

kjrules

Picked up a EFSZ over the weekend after much deliberation. Had a driver testing then followed by a fitting. I tried Ping G410, Titleist TS3, Cobra F9 and EFSZ. I didn’t bother with Taylormade as I’ve never really got on with them. I currently game a 915 D3 in 9.5* with Aldila Rogue stiff. Good gains in all clubs but some better than others. Typical shot is a pull fade/straight fade.

I tried each head with the different stock shafts, all in 9*. I didn't see all the numbers as I went from feel, actual launch and flight and then asked the fitter what the carry distance was. I swing consistently around 103-105 depending on how tired I am. Swing felt good on the day and wasn’t making too many tweaks in the fitting. Range balls were ok.

F9- seemed to fly off the face with quite a flat flight in both Smoke and Atmos. Muted sound. Carry was around 253 but dispersion was poor in both shafts. I felt as though I had to force the lie open to avoid a pull draw even with it set to open (maybe my address was slightly closed?).

TS3 – didn’t get on with at all. Had a couple of hits and handed it back.

G410 – Even set to 8* it looped up in all the shafts I tried. Launched way too high and was far too spinny and its descent angle was too steep. Didn’t like. Bit too busy on top as well for my liking, especially being used to such a plain looking top line of my Titleist 915.

EFSZ – best dispersion of all the other clubs, especially in the Hzrdous Smoke. Carry distance was 257 launching at 13.4*, which was the longest of the clubs. Feel as though I could still get a bit more from it with my own balls and teeing up at my normal height, not the stock rubber things. Loved the look from above and it felt great. I must have had a muted head because the sound wasn’t too obnoxious. Flight was flat and long. Tried the Even Flow Green and it felt as though I was swinging a lump on the end of a piece of string- it was too light for me. Balls were flying in all directions. Tensei Blue was ok but dispersion slightly off. Hzrdous Smoke was where I settled, and happily to do so! Ball speeds were highest of all the clubs at 154mph.

Luckily for me I was able to trade in my old club and had store credit so it cost me around £340 ($445), and is normally £450 ($590) here in the UK. Can’t wait another 2 weeks for it to arrive!

So as I alluded to a few pages pages back I ordered my Callaway driver and received it yesterday.

I received:

45.5” stock when I ordered 44.75”

Did not include a heavier weight because they never had the correct length so it was playing at D4 as I requested

Lamkin Grip was stock and not +1/32”

Pretty crappy of a build by Callaway. I called and they offered to build me a new driver or pay for the club work to be done locally. I chose locally as I know it will be done correctly. All I asked was for a 16 and 20 gram weight to be mailed to me so that I can dial in the best SW for me.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 Tour 3 Fairway 15.0D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

So as I alluded to a few pages pages back I ordered my Callaway driver and received it yesterday.

I received:

45.5 stock when I ordered 44.75

Did not include a heavier weight because they never had the correct length so it was playing at D4 as I requested

Lamkin Grip was stock and not +1/32

Pretty crappy of a build by Callaway. I called and they offered to build me a new driver or pay for the club work to be done locally. I chose locally as I know it will be done correctly. All I asked was for a 16 and 20 gram weight to be mailed to me so that I can dial in the best SW for me.

That sucks. Looks like a good result though. I’ve had similar experiences with all the other OEMs and most provide excellent service. I will say that I was always impressed with Callaways help when I had issues with their clubs in the past.

I received:

That sucks. Looks like a good result though. I’ve had similar experiences with all the other OEMs and most provide excellent service. I will say that I was always impressed with Callaways help when I had issues with their clubs in the past.

Here’s where it gets interesting. I brought my driver to my club builders today and he cut it down to 44.75” and built a grip up to +1/32 as I wanted. I asked him to measure the SW and it came in at D5.1.... I took off the weight again to check and it’s definitely the 12 gram stock weight.

Now I’m interested to see if it’s just a heavier head they chose for me or if it was hot melted any? Standard 45.5 is supposed to be D4 so 44.75” at D5 is really interesting.

:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)

I received:

Here’s where it gets interesting. I brought my driver to my club builders today and he cut it down to 44.75” and built a grip up to +1/32 as I wanted. I asked him to measure the SW and it came in at D5.1.... I took off the weight again to check and it’s definitely the 12 gram stock weight.

Now I’m interested to see if it’s just a heavier head they chose for me or if it was hot melted any? Standard 45.5 is supposed to be D4 so 44.75” at D5 is really interesting.

Is it the SZ version? If so, did you check the front weight to see if they put a heavier weight there instead of on the slider?

I received:

Is it the SZ version? If so, did you check the front weight to see if they put a heavier weight there instead of on the slider?

Yes. 2 gram in the front and a 12 gram in the sliding track

I received:

45.5" stock when I ordered 44.75"

Lamkin Grip was stock and not +1/32"

That sucks. Looks like a good result though. I've had similar experiences with all the other OEMs and most provide excellent service. I will say that I was always impressed with Callaways help when I had issues with their clubs in the past.

Here's where it gets interesting. I brought my driver to my club builders today and he cut it down to 44.75" and built a grip up to +1/32 as I wanted. I asked him to measure the SW and it came in at D5.1.... I took off the weight again to check and it's definitely the 12 gram stock weight.

Now I'm interested to see if it's just a heavier head they chose for me or if it was hot melted any? Standard 45.5 is supposed to be D4 so 44.75" at D5 is really interesting.

Yes. 2 gram in the front and a 12 gram in the sliding track

Sounds like you got an extra Flashy head!

So Phil uses the Flash last week and and completely sucked. Back to the Rouge this week and...?

So Phil uses the Flash last week and and completely sucked. Back to the Rouge this week and...?

Why do you say everything twice ?

Why do you say everything twice ?

“And then there was Jimmy Two Times, who got that nickname because he said everything twice, like, ‘I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers.’”

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Received my custom Epic Flash Sub Zero yesterday. Order said it would take 3-4 weeks but I received it in 7 days.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

Received my custom Epic Flash Sub Zero yesterday. Order said it would take 3-4 weeks but I received it in 7 days.

Is the Evenflow black handcrafted? When you build it via callaway website and it shows a picture of the shaft when you add it to custom build, it shows the handcrafted logo

Is the Evenflow black handcrafted? When you build it via callaway website and it shows a picture of the shaft when you add it to custom build, it shows the handcrafted logo

It is not handcrafted.

On a side note, yesterday was my first chance to hit it outdoors. I’ve posted in threads that I thought the whole “loud sound” was a bit overstated. Well let me now say.....this thing is LOUD. Ear piercing actually. I think it will turn many people off.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

It is not handcrafted.

On a side note, yesterday was my first chance to hit it outdoors. I’ve posted in threads that I thought the whole “loud sound” was a bit overstated. Well let me now say.....this thing is LOUD. Ear piercing actually. I think it will turn many people off.

This the only reason the subzero will not make it in the bag. This thing is an ear ringer! Perfection was within their grasp....so close.

It is not handcrafted.

This the only reason the subzero will not make it in the bag. This thing is an ear ringer! Perfection was within their grasp....so close.

Nothing is crazy loud about my Epic SZ. Have buddies compliment the sound actually. YMMV but I wouldn’t dismiss the driver and instead give it a shot.

Did anyone going from the Rogue SZ to the the Epic Flash SZ happen to stick with the same shaft?

Titleist TSR2 10 deg with Ventus TR Blue 6

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 deg 3 wood with Ventus TR Blue 7

Titleist TSR2  18 deg 5 wood with Ventus TR Blue 7

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges ?? 

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

Nothing is crazy loud about my Epic SZ. Have buddies compliment the sound actually. YMMV but I wouldn't dismiss the driver and instead give it a shot.

I still want to know why we have such a wide discrepancy in sound from these heads. It's either a correction to the sound by Callaway, or there's considerable random variation in sound from manufacturing. But there's zero way that a Flash SZ such as my early Staff sample, which is loud as any driver I've ever heard, and the retail releases I've heard on course in my customer's hands that aren't nearly as loud can be the same. It's night and day, the same way people are giving completely conflicting descriptions of the sound in this (and other) threads and reviews online. But there is no way the loud heads could ever be described as a sound that could be "complimented". I don't quite understand it. Now I kind of wish I had stocked the Flash this year just so I could hit through the demos and see it myself.

I hit a demo epic flash head today outdoors and I really didn't think it sounded bad at all. definitely not "ear piercing" as described by others experiences. I bought a g400 max a few months ago and it is so much louder than the flash. The main reason why I am even looking at other drivers is because the max is so loud. I thought the epic flash felt really great too. I hate the green and yellow color scheme though, its terrible.

Having fit a few staffers for their specs for their orders, I agree the 'Staff' heads seem louder, tested both the head the staffer got and the demos we have and the demos are quite a bit softer sounding. I think the first run driver heads came out louder, they heard about it and did a fix on the production models actually. None of my demos are even remotely loud enough to sound much different then the cobra or 410.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Why not try the old cotton ball trick to deaden the sound a little? The front weight port should allow access into the head, right?

Cottonball trick or even hot melt is fine for the few of us that know about it, but 9 out of 10 consumers have no idea that can be done or what it is. Those are the customers that wpuodsinply buy another similarly peforming club that sounds better, unless Callaway addressed the sound issue. Which it seems like they may have.

I hit a demo epic flash head today outdoors and I really didn't think it sounded bad at all. definitely not "ear piercing" as described by others experiences. I bought a g400 max a few months ago and it is so much louder than the flash. The main reason why I am even looking at other drivers is because the max is so loud. I thought the epic flash felt really great too. I hate the green and yellow color scheme though, its terrible.

I'd make you a great deal on an epic flash 9 degree driver if interested. I'm sticking with my epic from a few years back like the look and feel of my older model better

Why not try the old cotton ball trick to deaden the sound a little? The front weight port should allow access into the head, right?

Cottonball trick or even hot melt is fine for the few of us that know about it, but 9 out of 10 consumers have no idea that can be done or what it is. Those are the customers that wpuodsinply buy another similarly peforming club that sounds better, unless Callaway addressed the sound issue. Which it seems like they may have.

Yeah I totally agree with you. I meant to aim my post at the few that have mentioned this was the only reason this club isn't making it into their bags.

Yeah I totally agree with you. I meant to aim my post at the few that have mentioned this was the only reason this club isn't making it into their bags.

Don't cotton balls make the club non-conforming ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Don't cotton balls make the club non-conforming ?

I'm not sure actually. Think it would? I just remember it being a thing over the years to deaden the sound a little.

Not a Callaway driver guy so go easy.....the D setting increases lie angle....lie angle of the Flash SZ is 56*....what will the D setting lie angle be? I hit this vs F9 and my M3...also M5....F9 certainly was more muted but the Flash SZ just sounded explosive but not SQ Sumo /LV4 loud....this was obviously a demo head so take that for what it's worth ..... I think in proper setup the gains and confidence with FSZ are high potentiality for this old guy!

The sound will take time to get used to. I had the Flash SZ for 2 weeks now, still getting used to sound. A range with a roof will make the sound amplify & loud but in actual play on the tee box, it is more subdued. Still, this FSZ is loud and I am coming from the Epic GBB and owned Sumo, L4V and other "notoriously" loud past drivers. Been thinking of cotton balls but you you put that stuff in there, you ain't getting it out...and as for hot melt, I already have a 5gm and the sliding 12gm weight to a perfect D4.1 swing weight...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing