side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

Shame that never made it to market. I am picturing a mountain of lead tape on that baby

My friends called it Mjolnir!

Basically I epoxted lead weights to the counterweight under the grip and the shaft was nearly full of tungsten powder. The head was the boccieri golf heavy putter head with the heaviest weights in the ports (so it was 500 grams to start) and I drilled the back of the bumpers and filled them with tungsten slugs.

It was awesome. I would probably still be using it if I wasn't so crazy bad at keeping a line while rotating my head from face on to standing sideways.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Shame that never made it to market. I am picturing a mountain of lead tape on that baby

My friends called it Mjolnir!

Basically I epoxted lead weights to the counterweight under the grip and the shaft was nearly full of tungsten powder. The head was the boccieri golf heavy putter head with the heaviest weights in the ports (so it was 500 grams to start) and I drilled the back of the bumpers and filled them with tungsten slugs.

It was awesome. I would probably still be using it if I wasn't so crazy bad at keeping a line while rotating my head from face on to standing sideways.

This Lateral Line L2 sidesaddle putter has a 620g head and another 400 g in grip. One heavy putter!

https://www.l2putter...utterspecs.html

I thought about ordering at one time - but I don't like the fact that the face has 3 degrees of loft. Too much, as with the ball in front, I already have enough upswing.

I am just starting down the SS path, but Rohlio’s way makes more logical sense to me. Easier to get eyes over the ball and easier to manipulate the lie closer to 90 degrees if the putter head it closer to center mass.

Only hurdle would be longer backswings hitting the trailing foot. I figure on longer putts the top hand can just be a little more active to add power.

If anyone wants to be brave and post a picture of their stance it would be greatly appreciated. Nice to get a roster of what putters are in play too :)

I think it's just a matter of what's most comfortable, and works for someone. Either foot forward is ok as long as you're in balance and can deliver a good stoke. The only thing to worry about with the right foot back is like in the picture Ripper posted where it looks to me as if back right foot is on the target line.

I personally have the right foot forward. Makes it easier for me to keep my weight on the right side ang get my head over the ball. I also set my right foot a little behind the ball and parallel to my target line. It then becomes my putting guide: there's no way I can pull my stroke inside or I'd hit my foot. It forces me to come straight back and straight through.

My setup:

https://www.dropbox....330493.mp4?dl=0

Wow! This is exactly the same thing I do. Same stance, grip, and stroke. I just recently started lining up my putter from behind before I get into my stance. This made a huge improvement in my accuracy.

I am just starting down the SS path, but Rohlio’s way makes more logical sense to me. Easier to get eyes over the ball and easier to manipulate the lie closer to 90 degrees if the putter head it closer to center mass.

Only hurdle would be longer backswings hitting the trailing foot. I figure on longer putts the top hand can just be a little more active to add power.

If anyone wants to be brave and post a picture of their stance it would be greatly appreciated. Nice to get a roster of what putters are in play too :)

I think it's just a matter of what's most comfortable, and works for someone. Either foot forward is ok as long as you're in balance and can deliver a good stoke. The only thing to worry about with the right foot back is like in the picture Ripper posted where it looks to me as if back right foot is on the target line.

I personally have the right foot forward. Makes it easier for me to keep my weight on the right side ang get my head over the ball. I also set my right foot a little behind the ball and parallel to my target line. It then becomes my putting guide: there's no way I can pull my stroke inside or I'd hit my foot. It forces me to come straight back and straight through.

My setup:

https://www.dropbox....330493.mp4?dl=0

Wow! This is exactly the same thing I do. Same stance, grip, and stroke. I just recently started lining up my putter from behind before I get into my stance. This made a huge improvement in my accuracy.

Great minds think alike!

I bought a juanputt in November and had plans to really practice over the winter. I never did get much practice in but still managed to play once a week as the winter has been fairly mild in Scotland.

My putting has went from truly awful to pretty good.

I rarely three putt now and sink putts of a reasonable distance fairly frequently.

I now look forward to putting rather than dreading it.

I won’t ever go back.

This thread gave me the confidence to make the change and I’d like to thank the contributors.

I bought a juanputt in November and had plans to really practice over the winter. I never did get much practice in but still managed to play once a week as the winter has been fairly mild in Scotland.

I rarely three putt now and sink putts of a reasonable distance fairly frequently.

I won't ever go back.

This thread gave me the confidence to make the change and I'd like to thank the contributors.

Wow. Great story. Thanks for the shout out.

I won’t ever go back.

This thread gave me the confidence to make the change and I’d like to thank the contributors.

I used to hate putting and be so fearful of 3-5 footers. Now That I Sidesaddle it is just like... Fun.

WITB:

I won't ever go back.

This thread gave me the confidence to make the change and I'd like to thank the contributors.

Wow. Great story. Thanks for the shout out.

This is exactly how I felt.

It was a revelation for me, in a scramble I would be a putting liability, and now I'm one of the better putters. If I miss a green and don't hit it to tap in range, I no longer feel like I'm destined to make a bogey. I think its equal parts better process and just rocking the boat enough to gain the confidence needed to be a good putter.

Just imagine if we could get Ernie Els or Adam Scott to side saddle...

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

• 2 weeks later...

So here's an on-course side saddle story for you to enjoy; add your own to the thread.

We had a rare and unexpected day of no rain on Monday, so I showed up at my course and got paired up with two very nice guys who were there on a coupon deal; one was a decent player, the other pretty good. I didn't hit the ball great, but I had a great day putting; a couple of birdies, 8 one putt greens including 4 in a row and 5 out of 6 at one point in the middle of the round, and 28 putts total.

Both were curious about what I was doing, which is common, and I answered any questions they asked without getting evangelical about it. I know all of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

But here was the good part. In the middle of the run of one putt greens, the better of the two players made this statement: "You've inspired me to work harder on my putting; I just don't practice enough, and I'm going to change that this year!"

With the irony being, of course, that I practice less BY FAR now than I ever used to putting conventionally; there just isn't much to practice. Before a round, I'll hit a half dozen or so straight, flat putts from about 4' just to make sure I'm lining up square and releasing the club, and then a half dozen or so from 20-30' (average distance for a first putt) just to try to get the green speed, and that's it; literally, there's nothing else to do.

I did, however, resist the temptation to tell the guy what I REALLY thought. Just as I (almost) always resist the temptation when somebody asks WHY I putt that way to reply, "The REAL question is why you putt THAT way!"

I had a guy question the legality of my putting style today. He was pretty adamant about it. He couldn't give me a specific reason why he thought it was illegal, but he was convinced that was. Here is how I plead my case...

I stood in a conventional stance, holding my putter away from my body like a broom as to not anchor it. I made a pendulum stroke like I would sidesaddle, and ask "is this illegal?". He said it wasn't. Then I opened my stance a little and took another stroke. "how about this?". Again, he said it wasn't. So I gradually opened my stance a little more and more and asked "at what point does it become illegal?". He couldn't tell me, and finally agreed with me, however I'm sure he was just upset that I was putting so well.

I had a guy question the legality of my putting style today. He was pretty adamant about it. He couldn't give me a specific reason why he thought it was illegal, but he was convinced that was. Here is how I plead my case...

I stood in a conventional stance, holding my putter away from my body like a broom as to not anchor it. I made a pendulum stroke like I would sidesaddle, and ask "is this illegal?". He said it wasn't. Then I opened my stance a little and took another stroke. "how about this?". Again, he said it wasn't. So I gradually opened my stance a little more and more and asked "at what point does it become illegal?". He couldn't tell me, and finally agreed with me, however I'm sure he was just upset that I was putting so well.

That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Tell him "I will stop doing this when you show me the rule that prohibits it. Until then please keep your opinion to yourself."

You are exactly right. Sidesaddle is nothing more than an extremely open stance and in the absence of standing astride the line or anchoring which is expressly forbidden by the rules is clearly legal.

WITB:

The putter fitting was the least involved part of my fit at TXG.

I roll an STX, but I had my dad's F-22 along for the fitting as I did not expect any options when there.

Ian was very honest in saying what I needed to work on (find a putter with a bit more MOI/I get too much forward rotation with the BG) , but quintic wasn't able to pull data when I rolled the ball on the machine.

The staff laughed at the first roll, started to pay attention with the second one that found the cup and started asking questions with the third one that dropped.

Enjoy your time, was a wonderful fitting. But don't expect too much insight with your putter.... you're already ahead of most people with the roll that you place on the ball :)

Question: How good of a player was this guy?

I ask because I have NEVER had a really good player question me about legality, or why, or any of that stuff. Good players are, if anything, really curious about how well it works, and often want to take a closer look at the putter itself. The legality questions and that sort of thing ALWAYS come from chops, or at least guys that think they are a lot better than they really are.

Good players, guys that play competitively especially, would do ANYTHING to get the ball in the hole; they are ALWAYS looking for something better. Lesser players are threatened because it might mean that what they are doing isn't good enough.

The funny thing is that you see guys using arm lock, claw/saw, or the long putter not anchored, all trying to find ways to putt essentially one-handed, but turned sideways. It just makes me scratch my head about why there are so few of us putting one-handed while facing the target. The analogy I sometimes use is to ask this question: "So if a basketball player shot free throws by standing sideways and shooting across their body, what percentage would they make?"

I roll an STX, but I had my dad's F-22 along for the fitting as I did not expect any options when there.

Ian was very honest in saying what I needed to work on (find a putter with a bit more MOI/I get too much forward rotation with the BG) , but quintic wasn't able to pull data when I rolled the ball on the machine.

The staff laughed at the first roll, started to pay attention with the second one that found the cup and started asking questions with the third one that dropped.

Enjoy your time, was a wonderful fitting. But don't expect too much insight with your putter.... you're already ahead of most people with the roll that you place on the ball :)

Very interesting! I have a buddy that owns a fitting shop in the area and got on his "roll mat" that they use to Trackman fit putters, and it was funny to see the side saddle have almost 0 hop to the putts, they just immediately started rolling. Its the same concept as just putting on a green with dew on it, but its always enlightening to see how pure the roll is off the side saddles.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

The funny thing is that you see guys using arm lock, claw/saw, or the long putter not anchored, all trying to find ways to putt essentially one-handed, but turned sideways. It just makes me scratch my head about why there are so few of us putting one-handed while facing the target. The analogy I sometimes use is to ask this question: "So if a basketball player shot free throws by standing sideways and shooting across their body, what percentage would they make?"

I ask people "If somebody broke into your house and you got your pistol out to defend your family, would you turn sideways point your head down at the ground and try to shoot them across your body? Or would you stand behind the weapon and point it at your target right in front of your eyes?"

WITB:

I ask people "If somebody broke into your house and you got your pistol out to defend your family, would you turn sideways point your head down at the ground and try to shoot them across your body? Or would you stand behind the weapon and point it at your target right in front of your eyes?"

Excellent! I'll use this!

Yea, I had pretty much the same experience.

Ian just couldn't get the quantic to read the weird KA shaft.

From the data he was able to gather, his only recommendation to me was I had a little too much upswing.

I play the ball pretty forward in my stance, so I'll experiment with moving it closer to my body.

He did say I wouldn't notice the issue on medium to slow greens (which is usually what I play) - but would notice it more on fast greens.

I was also a little messed up in that when placing my ball on the dot for the quantic - I was almost falling off their platform in my setup because my left foot is back and my right foot is forward.

So I had to move my left up quite a bit which got me out of my normal stance.

From the data he was able to gather, his only recommendation to me was I had a little too much upswing.

I play the ball pretty forward in my stance, so I'll experiment with moving it closer to my body.

He did say I wouldn't notice the issue on medium to slow greens (which is usually what I play) - but would notice it more on fast greens.

I was also a little messed up in that when placing my ball on the dot for the quantic - I was almost falling off their platform in my setup because my left foot is back and my right foot is forward.

I'm sure you still made the first five in a row:)

Very interesting! I have a buddy that owns a fitting shop in the area and got on his "roll mat" that they use to Trackman fit putters, and it was funny to see the side saddle have almost 0 hop to the putts, they just immediately started rolling. Its the same concept as just putting on a green with dew on it, but its always enlightening to see how pure the roll is off the side saddles.

Sidesaddle makes for a great stroke, but the F22 adds to the roll. It really does just start rolling as BG says it should.

But like anything in golf, too much of something can lead to higher scores.

... well except birdies.

I'm sure you still made the first five in a row:)

I wasn't quite "on" with my putting.

Part of that was the stance issue I mentioned.

Another part was trying our the new closer ball position.

There was also no opportunity to "warm up" with my putter.

Hmmmm….that's all the excuses I can think of for now....lol....

FInal results: 7 putts in all from 12 feet: Made 2, lipped 2, missed 3 that burned the edges.

I have putted side saddle/face on for over 12 years now. I have a bunch of putters-from making my own with components to buying a few online. Being 6ft I find 48 inches to be a good length that dosen't hurt my back. I think I may make short putts a little better but I don't like being hunched over. Current;y I am playing a GP Putter. I really like this club but it does have a tendacy to sway in my back swing, probably because it is light. I am looking a Bobby Grace F 22 with the KA shaft after reading the reviews here. I just have a hard time spending the money! I have built all of my clubs except my putter and have never spent that much for 1 club let alone one that I have never tried out. Any thoughts as to if it is worth the $500??

I have putted side saddle/face on for over 12 years now. I have a bunch of putters-from making my own with components to buying a few online. Being 6ft I find 48 inches to be a good length that dosen't hurt my back. I think I may make short putts a little better but I don't like being hunched over. Current;y I am playing a GP Putter. I really like this club but it does have a tendacy to sway in my back swing, probably because it is light. I am looking a Bobby Grace F 22 with the KA shaft after reading the reviews here. I just have a hard time spending the money! I have built all of my clubs except my putter and have never spent that much for 1 club let alone one that I have never tried out. Any thoughts as to if it is worth the $500??

I have a F22 that I currently use. I've had several of the LFI (BG) and then other long putters I've held sideways.

And to me, the F22 is by far the best of the bunch, without question. The LFIs were a bit light as well and I felt they swayed, but the F22 is heavy and very solid. It's the best putter I've ever used. I honestly like it so much I'm considering ordering one of the all black ones he has as a back up. Same putter, just another one of them. I would doubt you'd be disappointed, plus I think there would be several in this thread that would buy it off you at a slightly used cost.

I have a F22 that I currently use. I've had several of the LFI (BG) and then other long putters I've held sideways.

And to me, the F22 is by far the best of the bunch, without question. The LFIs were a bit light as well and I felt they swayed, but the F22 is heavy and very solid. It's the best putter I've ever used. I honestly like it so much I'm considering ordering one of the all black ones he has as a back up. Same putter, just another one of them. I would doubt you'd be disappointed, plus I think there would be several in this thread that would buy it off you at a slightly used cost.

Thanks For the response!! I'll probably pull the trigger on this one.

I have an F 22 prototype belly putter that is now 35”. I never had much luck after anchor ban, now considering lengthening it to arm lock or face on. I’m very poor on anything over 3’, have several putters and of course lessons over the years. Ready for a style change. I know if nothing changes, nothing changes!

Agree 100%. So much so that I DID buy a backup for my F22. I can't see myself ever moving to a different SS putter.

Agree 100%. So much so that I DID buy a backup for my F22. I can't see myself ever moving to a different SS putter.

Count me as another 100% agreement on the F22.

One of the issues with face on putting, of course, is that you can't bop over to Golf Galaxy and try out the new putters. So there's been a progression during my four years in terms of length, head weight, etc., and I have a half dozen or so face on putters in the hall closet.

I'm a year in with the F22 now, it is by far the best of the bunch. And the great thing about working with Bobby Grace is that he answers the phone and will spend as long with you working out the specs as you need. Just a super nice guy who really wants to help you get it right, and who takes a lot of pride in his products.

And FWIW, I think the F22 is the best looking of the putters I've used.

I have an F 22 prototype belly putter that is now 35”. I never had much luck after anchor ban, now considering lengthening it to arm lock or face on. I’m very poor on anything over 3’, have several putters and of course lessons over the years. Ready for a style change. I know if nothing changes, nothing changes!

If you decide to go face on/side saddle, I'd urge you to use a putter designed specifically for that purpose from the get-go. The two essentials, at least in my view, are having only a degree or two of loft, and having the shaft angle at 80*. Length is very much an individual matter, but I think most of us use a putter that is well over 40". I could be wrong, but I believe that Bobby Grace made the original F22 as sort of multi-purpose putter that could be used either for arm-lock or face on.

This is no different than any other golf equipment situation; if you use improper equipment and then attribute bad results to the swing, you may be looking in the wrong direction. I'd bet that you could call Bobby Grace directly and talk to him about "retro-fitting" your putter, or even making a trade.