2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Breaking....Kuchar Calling Ortiz and Paying Up- 2/15

If I was Kuchar I'd fire Steiny. Steinberg could have made this go away before it escalated. That's what a good agent does, protects his brand.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just stopping in here to re-check on the guys who were absolutely certain this was a "non-story" that would never get beyond golf sites like ours. That "nobody cared."

Might want to recalibrate your Care-O-Meters, boys.... ;-)

It really gained traction when kuchar said “For a guy who makes $200 a day...” that poured gasoline on it.

I used the "free pass" Kuchar got at Scottsdale as the indicator nobody cared. Oh well, bad read...thought it was breaking right!

And remember the initial coverage on golfchannel? The media not wanting to give in to Twitter? But somehow a couple of writers decided to dig in and go for the kill. It may not have worked but then Matt went public with his completely out of touch nonsense statement. Oops. Avalanche! So close to getting away with it... But no.

Now look at the backstroke! Who is the real Matt Kuchar?! What a dummy.

if Matt Kuchar thinks this takes him off the hook then he really IS in denial!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Congrats to the SJWs for acting like a bunch of little Bolsheviks to bully and extort money from Kuchar. With that said 5k was way too low but cheap isn't a crime. Where Kuchar lost me was his own words "For a guy who makes $200 a day..." that is offensive and most damaging.

Really wish you wouldn't chalk this up to "SJW's." I'm guessing that the percentage of people on this site who you would consider SJW's if you met them in person is ridiculously small. It's easy to call someone a Bolshevik SJW when you haven't had a beer with them and talked about life, my friend. And I'm not even denying that there are true SJW's out there whose lives are constantly miserable because they read the news every day looking for potential slights. They do exist.

This Kuchar thing may have turned into an SJW thing, but it started with a groundswell from regular people who though it was unconscionable. You yourself admit to thinking it was far too little. That's all this was, and then that grew and grew because enough people saw it that way. Now Kuchar is doing "the right thing" because enough people saw it as "the wrong thing." Pretty simple when you look at it that way, which is how I choose to look at it.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

All these comments about SJWs...

1. Isn't that political? Not what we're here for.

2. Wouldn't you want society to have your back if you were wronged?

No, if I'm wronged I deal with it myself, not social media. And Tom Gillis is still the biggest scumbag in all of this.

Gillis is two for two though in his call outs....

Tom Gillis is one bad mutha...

I wonder if he wants a cut now? LOL

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

The greedy SOB paid up. I guess he knew he would have to either not turn up to defend his title or keep getting dragged in the media . If there was no social media etc he would had got away with it just like thousands of rich exploitative people had done in the past. Those days when you feel you can do anything publicly and get away with it are over!

Congrats to the SJWs for acting like a bunch of little Bolsheviks to bully and extort money from Kuchar. With that said 5k was way too low but cheap isn't a crime. Where Kuchar lost me was his own words "For a guy who makes $200 a day..." that is offensive and most damaging.

You should look up the definition of extortion.

Does being rich make you an (expletive) rich , bad person? Logic then would conclude being poor makes you virtuous and good. Matt May very well be a stingy tight-a**. I agree that the internet outed him, and he probably will suffer from his own selfish decision. I’m glad El Tucan got a more reasonable paycheck.

I think you can assume that the Tour had a little word in their ears and advised them to pay . Now if they helped pay is another matter ! But I doubt it .

Possibly they tossed in a little money for a community project ...might be just advance spending of some tour money they would put in during next years tourney anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if the release was heavily co-drafted by the Tour based on what happened previously. But who knows.

Glad hear Kuchar finally paid up. Absolute disaster. Hope it stings for a bit, he deserves it.

Was never a big fan of the Koooch chants, Matt always smiled and waved like he was on a parade route. Golf world mentioned, All around Riv there were more than a few sarcastic calls of "Mooch!" from the gallery. Ouch, that would sting. Probably bat phoned Steinberg on the spot Pay the man what ever it takes. While I'm in a giving mood, remember that caddie kid I didn't buy an ice-cream at the turn years ago, well get him case while your at it.

Really wish you wouldn't chalk this up to "SJW's." I'm guessing that the percentage of people on this site who you would consider SJW's if you met them in person is ridiculously small. It's easy to call someone a Bolshevik SJW when you haven't had a beer with them and talked about life, my friend. And I'm not even denying that there are true SJW's out there whose lives are constantly miserable because they read the news every day looking for potential slights. They do exist.

This Kuchar thing may have turned into an SJW thing, but it started with a groundswell from regular people who though it was unconscionable. You yourself admit to thinking it was far too little. That's all this was, and then that grew and grew because enough people saw it that way. Now Kuchar is doing "the right thing" because enough people saw it as "the wrong thing." Pretty simple when you look at it that way, which is how I choose to look at it.

Obee, I don't consider those writing on this site to be SJWs as this is very small niche. Wrx doesn't have the exposure. I would also say that I'd probably enjoy having a beer with a disproportionately large number on this site. However those taking to Twitter and writing articles with opinion based headlines and content are the SJWs and are part of the problem. SJW Tom Gillis is ground zero on this one.

Obee, I don't consider those writing on this site to be SJWs as this is very small niche. Wrx doesn't have the exposure. I would also say that I'd probably enjoy having a beer with a disproportionately large number on this site. However those taking to Twitter and writing articles with opinion based headlines and content are the SJWs and are part of the problem. SJW Tom Gillis is ground zero on this one.

Not to mention by the same token it's easy to call anyone who didn't condemn Kuchar a "cheap $%%$" as was done several times in the 3 threads (one guy literally said he was keeping an excel spreadsheet of the members so he knew going forward who these people were, i actually don't think he was kidding).

I think as you say, if beers were had one might also find that it's possible to both think Kuchar probably screwed up a bit and could've given more, but still be at least open to the question of why someone should "have" to give 50K ~ to someone under the circumstances which have been discussed so much already (why does the tour even mandate caddies? It feels like in this case Matt could've just used a push cart and saved us all from this)

Regular people can disagree on things too, even passionate topics

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Just stopping in here to re-check on the guys who were absolutely certain this was a "non-story" that would never get beyond golf sites like ours. That "nobody cared."

I’m still here :). I didn’t think it was a nonstory, but it was going to go away until Kuchar lit it up when he basically urinated on folks who make $200/day. That’s pretty much......... everyone. If he hadn’t done the recent interviews this probably dies. Both feet went in his mouth when he said that.

Ok, #1, WTF is a “SJW??”

#2, I’ve been told by a guy who knows him, has Played many rounds with him and says that he’s “one of the good guys out here,” and I know this guy pretty well, so I’m goin with him that this was just the case of a good guy, and maybe a guy who isn’t “up to par” on all things, including caddie compensation, making a boneheaded decision and then instead of talking with those in his inner circle(I refuse to believe, and so does my Bud, that Kuchar ran his post-tourney statements by those close to him cuz my Bud said that if he were in Kuch’s shoes and going to say that and ran it by either his wife or agent, they both woulda said “WTF is wrong with you???),” he reacts defensively, poorly, and posts these thoughts, further burying himself.

And finally, Obe’s is one of the 2-3 Classiest Guys in the virtual world and though I don’t knowWTF a “SJW” is, I’m with him, that we don’t have to try to make this any more than it is, a case of a guy just being out of touch with reality, and I know some guys, pretty good guys as a matter of fact, who make and are worth a hell of a lot less than Kuch(Though I don’t know him, my disdain has for all things Kuchar has dissipated, so unlike when I just refer to someone by their last name, he’s back to “Kuch”?), who are out of touch with reality on matters like this.

I’m sure that Obe’s and many of ya also know some~

If ya don’t, you’re gonna have to trust us(or not?) that sometimes good guys make poor decisions, however the one thing that they ALWAYS do is that they always right a wrong.

It sounds like that is going to happen.

#4, I’ve said from the get go that I would give 10%, had this been I, and for those thinkin “yea right, that’s easy to say sitting in a chair typin on your phone,” the fact that I did indeed give $750+ of a $7500+ payday when no one was lookin gives me more cred to say that than it does you to doubt me?

However, that being said, I can see Madison’s and those who are in the 5% camp, as that is basically the rule of thumb had this occurred on Tour in the US.

So if someone is saying that ole Matty Boy was “bullied” into doing the right thing, well, to that I say simply that sometimes “why” and “how” don’t mean a damn thing!!

The ONLY thing that matters is the result, that the RIGHT THING GETS DONE!!

And that also goes for judging Kuch~

When this is all said and done, WHY he did what he did, either initially or his end game, doesn’t matter~

Only that he RIGHTED a wrong and that he learned from it~

To go deeper than that is a waste of time, thought and emotions and you’re trying to fit this to your agenda.

That’s ok, cuz that’s your privilege, until the mods get tired of reading your stuff, but I sureTF hope that you don’t raise your kids, lead your employees or influence anyone in your life with that type of thinking.

All’s well that ends well?

WTF is a “SJW??,” lolol

I’m soooo outa touch, lmao?

Stay well Gents?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Oh, and for what it’s worth, I know as many poor jerk-offs(in my bar, ie., how they tip, carry them selves, treat others, both men and Ladies, etc.) as I do well to do wealthy jerk-offs so let’s just leave this at the species level, lolol

Cheers

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I don't think it was ever a "non-story" - it was being viewed by more than golf sites the minute Gillis started up and after, maybe some felt that way, but they were wrong if they thought it was just a story on wrx or some other forum.

I agree - if Kuch had just left it alone with the $50,000 demand and awkward emails, the $15,000 offer being turned down flat, he'd have been in a lot better position. Could have even said, "hey, nothing but the arbitrary $50k will satisfy them, ball was in his court, he turned down $15k with no strings attached, so I'll take that and send it to the club for the benefit of junior golf in the area". Just a thought.

In the end, I would have liked to have seen more paid up front, most of us agree we think we would have done the same (again always easy to say, but I believe that), but he didn't, some others got in the caddie's head and here it is.

Still was nobody's business to butt into in the first place and it's disappointing to see the pure enjoyment some folks get out of trying to out-camouflage their obscenities and insults (or not) directed at Kuchar from the keyboards, just not warranted.

Curious where the Kucher backed sheeple are now that Matt acknowledged his misstep (whether forced to announce or not)?

"But is was a deal! El Tuc shouldn't have taken the bag if he wasn't happy! SJW's are the decline of my 'merica!"

I'd like to think they are choking on their own arrogance and self reflecting in the mirror. We can dream, right?

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

I’m still here :). I didn’t think it was a nonstory, but it was going to go away until Kuchar lit it up when he basically urinated on folks who make $200/day. That’s pretty much......... everyone. If he hadn’t done the recent interviews this probably dies. Both feet went in his mouth when he said that.

It wasn't going away. It was already on ESPN, Washington Post, Golf Channel, etc. Etc. before Kuchar made the comments you're referring to. His comments made it worse but it was already having a big impact otherwise he would not have commented. I'm sure he and his team did not foresee this getting picked up by mainstream media. Otherwise he may have addressed it months ago.

People would not have forgotten. He would have potentially gotten booed in Mexico (he still may if he goes) and El Tucan wasn't going to let it go by the sound of his text messages.

I saw a post earlier (can't remember if it was this or one of the other threads) saying it wasn't Kuchar's fault and I'm still trying to get my head around it. Even if his agent was "handling' it, you'd have to be one really thick person to not see what was coming. It shouldn't have happened in the first place. £5k was never enough, local caddy or not.

Two goods came out of this. El Toucan got paid and Kuchar got exposed to be an elitist who isn’t the philanthropic guy he pretends to be.

I’m just curious as to what Matt Kucher has said, posted or done specifically where he has put himself out there as a “philanthropic guy???”

If you could please provide quotes, articles, etc. that would be greatly appreciated?

We tend to make a lot of broad stroke statements around here, and I’m as guilty as the next guy, though when I hear word like “elitist” thrown around, and I know a few guys that I’d put in that category, and though I don’t know Matt Kuchar personally, as I stated earlier, I do know a guy who does know him pretty well, and he said that he’s a good guy, down to earth & kind hearted, at least from what this guy has seen of him since he’s been on Tour.

Ya wanna call him an idiot, ok, I’ll bite, lol

However, to call him an “elitist,” well, there are a few other guys in that word Top-10 that I’d definitely put there, though I just don’t think that Matt Kuchar falls into that bucket and I’ve never recalled him tooting his philanthropic horn, however I’ve gotta be honest, Kuch wasn’t really on my radar till this whole brouhaha exploded, lol

Stay well SF & have a great season?

Cheers?

RP

Will people STFU about it now? I doubt it, but I can hope

The nice thing about internet forums is that you can easily scroll by a topic you dont want to read about, you aren't forced to click on the topic and view it.

Circ has a great idea and it’s guaranteed 100% to work for you to avoid seeing and reading this stuff which obviously is tippin ya over the edge, or at least annoying you to the point of hoping for something that is border line delusional~

Scroll on by Brother?

However Jokester, ya have to admit that with this being a forgiving society, Kuch finally throwing himself on his sword and taking full responsibility and going beyond to make it right, this has the makings of the feel good story of the year?!!!

And we’ve got 3-4 threads in which you can partake in the merrymaking if you so choose!!!

Wait!!!

I just thought of a better idea??!!!

Start a thread “Why can’t people just STFU and forget this now??”

That thread alone should be good for another one or two offspring threads!!!

I mean for me, it’s this or I go back to posting pics of my YES & Kevin Moore putters or talkin about the importance of developing a mental game for a golfer wanting to go from bogey to scratch, lol

This is a lot more fun and brings out my creative juices?

Stay well Jokester & I hope that ya find a thread to your liking?

RP