Cobra F9 irons!!!!!!

collingsom1a

Are the 9s that much an improvement or better than the 8s??

I don't think the 8s had a forged face, did they? If not, would make a difference.

I really loved playing the original Forged TEC irons, and those also had the forged face in a multi material head.

Really glad to see Cobra irons generally being well reviewed. I've liked them for a while, but something about a giant KING being on them really turned me off of their newer stuff visually. I know that's where they decided to focus branding and marketing. Just not for me.

Wondering if anyone has compared these to the Mizuno 919 Hot Metals?

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (11.5d) - UST Lin-Q M40X Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - UST Lin-Q M40X Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Project X Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Aldila Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO MP 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - KBS Hi Rev 2.0 

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

Great review here. Very consistent yardages.

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

Just got my F9 irons. I was curious to see if the gap wedge & sand wedge were different from the F8's. I could not find any specific images of them. The F8's had that specialty wedge look going for them which I really didn't care for at all. Didn't like them one bit really. Looks as though they have gone away from that look.

I think they fit better in with the rest of the irons. I had the same problem with the F8 gap wedge as I did the Mizuno JPX900 gap wedge. Seemed to lose distance & have to big a gap between the PW & GW. Have to test them out but I certainly like the looks of the F9 gap & sand wedge better than the F8's. Just my opinion.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

Just got my F9 irons. I was curious to see if the gap wedge & sand wedge were different from the F8's. I could not find any specific images of them. The F8's had that specialty wedge look going for them which I really didn't care for at all. Didn't like them one bit really. Looks as though they have gone away from that look.

I think they fit better in with the rest of the irons. I had the same problem with the F8 gap wedge as I did the Mizuno JPX900 gap wedge. Seemed to lose distance & have to big a gap between the PW & GW. Have to test them out but I certainly like the looks of the F9 gap & sand wedge better than the F8's. Just my opinion.

Any chance you could post some pics of the GW and SW?

I’ve had a set of F9 OL for a few weeks now (ordered direct from Cobra and they actually showed a few days before the official release) and I really like them. The clubs are a thousands times more durable then the F8s. I’ve hit a lot of balls with them and they still look like new.

In terms of on course performance, how do you compare and contrast the F9 and F8 OL?

I’ve had a set of F9 OL for a few weeks now (ordered direct from Cobra and they actually showed a few days before the official release) and I really like them. The clubs are a thousands times more durable then the F8s. I’ve hit a lot of balls with them and they still look like new.

In terms of on course performance, how do you compare and contrast the F9 and F8 OL?

It’s winter here and I haven’t hit them on a course yet. Just practicing on my mat and net.

It’s winter here and I haven’t hit them on a course yet. Just practicing on my mat and net.

Ok, thanks. I have had the F8 OL since fall and like them more and more. Wondering if an upgrade is worth it.

Also curious on the shafts. I went with my previous iron shaft in the F8’s and wondering if anyone is seeing benefit from the stock flighted shafts made for the OL’s.

Any chance you could post some pics of the GW and SW?

Here are some pics showing the difference.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

Went back and hit the f9 for a second time. Being a graphite player, I really didn't like the Atmos R flex shaft. To me it was real whippy compared to my Recoil R flex in my CF16. That said, I tried the club but with a steel shaft and really liked the feel and distance, but I need/want graphite. Still on the fence, we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see I was not the only one with the F8's having a big gap between PW and GW. ARCCOS tells me smart distance of 110m (at altitude) for the GW and 130m for the PW. All other gaps in the 10m range (140m 9i, 151m 8i, 161m 7i).

I'm choking down a bit on the PW for a 120m shot (with mixed results) but would definitely prefer a full shot for this as I'm just about now getting the right swing mechanics going. I've been thinking about dropping a hybrid and reconfiguring my wedges to do this.

As this is the F9 thread, I hit them at the shop on GC2 over the weekend side by side with my F8's. Didn't mind the chunkyness and the performance was slightly better than the F8 - slightly higher ball flight and 2-3m longer carry on the 7i in the stock shafts (F8: TT XP 90 and F9: KBS Tour 90) . I loved them, but for the marginal improvement and the local price of R16,500 (USD 1150) it's not worth it right now. I'm pretty happy with my bag as it is (swopping in the F8 4i/5i in place of one of the hybrids every now and then).

Glad to see I was not the only one with the F8's having a big gap between PW and GW. ARCCOS tells me smart distance of 110m (at altitude) for the GW and 130m for the PW. All other gaps in the 10m range (140m 9i, 151m 8i, 161m 7i).

I'm choking down a bit on the PW for a 120m shot (with mixed results) but would definitely prefer a full shot for this as I'm just about now getting the right swing mechanics going. I've been thinking about dropping a hybrid and reconfiguring my wedges to do this.

As this is the F9 thread, I hit them at the shop on GC2 over the weekend side by side with my F8's. Didn't mind the chunkyness and the performance was slightly better than the F8 - slightly higher ball flight and 2-3m longer carry on the 7i in the stock shafts (F8: TT XP 90 and F9: KBS Tour 90) . I loved them, but for the marginal improvement and the local price of R16,500 (USD 1150) it's not worth it right now. I'm pretty happy with my bag as it is (swopping in the F8 4i/5i in place of one of the hybrids every now and then).

I've have been all over the place with what irons to get this year.

I had it narrowed down to the F9 and Callaway std Rogue. I eliminated the Ping G410 and Mizuno 919 HM and 919 Pro. For me, the Cobra and Callaway were just longer and more consistent for my swing.

Today I wanted to make my mind up and spent 2 hours hitting balls and comparing stats. I averaged a full club longer with the F9's, but to be fair, I was using a different shaft between the 2 clubs. The Rogue had a 760 Recoil in it, the F9 had Recoil 460 ES in it. So, my clubhead and ball speed was higher with the F9, mainly because I think of the difference is shaft weight. So, tomorrow I am going to hit the 460 ES Recoil in both clubs and make a final decision after that.

Hey man, I'm the dude

I like the f8's and could have bagged them. I would not be able to play f9 though solely for aesthetic reasons. The sole is visible on the 7 iron at address. They are near-hybrid in size.

For those being critical of the sizeof the F9, just cool it. It's the ultimate outcome that matters. Take your smug attitude somewhere else, please. Tired of reading where people turn their noses up at different clubs, as if they have the corner on the market of what looks new. In other words, if you cant say something nice, get out of here!!!!

The person who will enjoy this club is the person who is vertically challenged with ball flight. They could care less what the club looks like if it hits shots they never dreamed they could hit.

Hey man, I'm the dude

I like the f8's and could have bagged them. I would not be able to play f9 though solely for aesthetic reasons. The sole is visible on the 7 iron at address. They are near-hybrid in size.

For those being critical of the sizeof the F9, just cool it. It's the ultimate outcome that matters. Take your smug attitude somewhere else, please. Tired of reading where people turn their noses up at different clubs, as if they have the corner on the market of what looks new. In other words, if you cant say something nice, get out of here!!!!

The person who will enjoy this club is the person who is vertically challenged with ball flight. They could care less what the club looks like if it hits shots they never dreamed they could hit.

Someone asked if they were an improvement over the F8 and I shared my view. I was very excited to hit F9 as was a huge fan of the F8 but I was disappointed that they made it bigger, as F8 was a sweet spot in size IMO. It messed wth my head and I couldn’t hit them well. If these work for you then enjoy!!

Someone asked if they were an improvement over the F8 and I shared my view. I was very excited to hit F9 as was a huge fan of the F8 but I was disappointed that they made it bigger, as F8 was a sweet spot in size IMO. It messed wth my head and I couldn't hit them well. If these work for you then enjoy!!

I think allot of the builders are going to the wider bottom to get the ball airborne easier because of the trend toward stronger lofted irons. What amazed me about this iron is that I got amazing, towering height, but I also hit the club a long way.

I'm 71 years old and am hitting the 7 iron 165-170 yards. That's crazy long. It's a nice problem to have. When most seniors my age are moving forward with their tee selection (to white or senior), I'm moving back!

Ping, Mizuno, Callaway are all doing this as well.

Hey man, I'm the dude

You may want to check your smug attitude. EveryonEmis entitled to their opinion and we need to respect that

Has anyone checked swing weight of their f9 irons? Just curious, because mine are coming in at E0. To be fair I opted for a heavier shaft - 125 gram c-taper s+ at 1 inch over standard. I didn't have the swing weight of my prior set, AP1 714 with dg x100 at 1 inch over standard checked. The f9 feel noticeably heavier and not sure if its static weight, balance of the different shafts, or a combo of the two.

I love the shots these are producing, so I don't plan to alter anything, just worried about fatigue on those marathon golf days. If any of you played/are playing irons in this weight range I would be curious of any feedback.

Rogue ST Max 9 Degree Tensei AV White 65x
G400 3 Wood Tour75x

Sub70 699U 2 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
PXG 0211DC 5-GW Tour Elevate x
PXG 0311 52 & 58 Tour Elevate x
Taylormade Spider X