El Tucan Speaks..... (NO POLITICS)

People saying this was just a business deal are completely missing the boat about the business that Kuchar and other golfers are in. The Matt Kuchar brand took a hit when the news first came out. Then after the dumpster fire interview Matt gave, his image was trashed and he needed to fix it unless it was irreparably trashed. Now good thing for Matt that most people are forgiving by nature and will take his apology at face value and go on with other more important things in life. There will always of course be that 5 percent WRXers who will never let it drop but his apology goes a long way towards salvaging his brand. I personally don't care if he crafted it or if the tour or agent had a hand in it. I just hope he's truly learned from it and this whole episode will serve as a cautionary tale for other golfers going forward.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am happy that Kuchar finally came to the table on the matter but I cannot help but wonder.... did he do too little, too late? Naturally, there are always going to be questions about his sincerity in his statement repenting his actions and I know someone somewhere is already asking the question, "If he was really sorry about what he did, why didn't he toss the guy another "XX" thousand on top of what he asked for?" My point here is not to say he should have done so, but just to ponder whether any amount of damage control at this point can exonerate his previous actions. Something like this is not that easy to wash away. Don't get me wrong as I do think there is a much better chance now that this will all die down in a few months but, there may well be a lingering after taste that take much longer to go away in the public mouth. Kuchar may well find himself under the microscope for some time to come. The public and media hounds may be out of the limelight for now but are very likely waiting for any potential curtain call. The sad part for him is, had he (Kuchar) responded instantly and positively this most likely would not be the case at all. Instead he exercised the poor choice of digging the whole even deeper with his comments and making himself look worse and worse. Hopefully moving forward this will serve as a retrospective for him, and maybe next foot can avoid mouth.

Kuchar’s caddie, John Wood, said that Matt shouldn’t forever be chastized for one mistake. True enough, but there have been rumblings that Kuchar has been a tightwad for some time.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I don’t know why people continue to say that Kuchar paid Ortiz what was agreed to. That point is very much disputed by Tucan.

Good morning M?

While I agree with your post at face value, I don’t know that I’m ready to call either guy dishonest or a “liar.”

As negotiations make up a large part of my professional life, I cannot count the times that two good honest upstanding individuals walked out of a room and when I spoke to both individually, if I taped it and played it for you or anyone else, you would say, “well, one is obviously lying,” when that was not the case at all.

What happened is that one or both had heard what they WANTED TO HEAR, which was not what the other was saying. If the one, in say Toucan’s position, was a good trusting man, and the finer points, exact percentages and/or dollar amounts, were not ironed out, then he/she usually “heard” higher amounts than what were intended. This is where I or one of my associates would come in, to clarify the exact circumstances, the exact amounts, etc.

I do not recall exactly what was said here, however with Toucan being in the position that he was in, possible language barries and I’m not just speaking to a fundamental misunderstanding, though certain nuances that you or I would pick up on that Toucan did not.

I trust my Tour Bud a lot and he said that Matt Kuchar is a good guy and that he’s an honest straight up guy, and that’s good enough for me.

I think that it’s obvious that Toucan has lil birdies chirpin in his ears so what was REALlY said, and it’s intention, could be further convoluted with every day and every conversation that he has.

I’m just not ready to call either guy dishonest or untruthful.

I really hope that this gets handled appropriately and the Toucster is back on Kuch’s bag when he defends next year!!

Now THAT would be a feel good story?

Stay well Brother?

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I’m glad that Matt Kuchar has decided to take this path, as really, more will benefit from this than they would have had he paid his caddie $50-60k initially. This does not excuse his before behavior but he made a mistake and corrected it. I think that some are being a tad harsh saying that he is a “dbag.” Absolutely no one that knows him refers to him even remotely in that vein. He’s a good guy that made a poor decision and unthinkingly compounded it when he responded. Through our lives most of us have been there done that, at least I have, and I know Richard has, hahaha :) M

I don’t know why people continue to say that Kuchar paid Ortiz what was agreed to. That point is very much disputed by Tucan.

Good morning M��

While I agree with your post at face value, I don’t know that I’m ready to call either guy dishonest or a “liar.”

As negotiations make up a large part of my professional life, I cannot count the times that two good honest upstanding individuals walked out of a room and when I spoke to both individually, if I taped it and played it for you or anyone else, you would say, “well, one is obviously lying,” when that was not the case at all.

What happened is that one or both had heard what they WANTED TO HEAR, which was not what the other was saying. If the one, in say Toucan’s position, was a good trusting man, and the finer points, exact percentages and/or dollar amounts, were not ironed out, then he/she usually “heard” higher amounts than what were intended. This is where I or one of my associates would come in, to clarify the exact circumstances, the exact amounts, etc.

I do not recall exactly what was said here, however with Toucan being in the position that he was in, possible language barries and I’m not just speaking to a fundamental misunderstanding, though certain nuances that you or I would pick up on that Toucan did not.

I trust my Tour Bud a lot and he said that Matt Kuchar is a good guy and that he’s an honest straight up guy, and that’s good enough for me.

I think that it’s obvious that Toucan has lil birdies chirpin in his ears so what was REALlY said, and it’s intention, could be further convoluted with every day and every conversation that he has.

I’m just not ready to call either guy dishonest or untruthful.

I really hope that this gets handled appropriately and the Toucster is back on Kuch’s bag when he defends next year!!

Now THAT would be a feel good story��

Stay well Brother��

Richard

I don't know if anyone is lying. Maybe none are. Maybe Kuchar thought he explained exactly what he would get to Ortiz and Ortiz didn't realize what Matt intended due to translation problems. My only point is that Ortiz has said that Matt did not let him know before the tournament what his bonus would be if Matt made the cut. If Kuchar was going to lowball Ortiz from the beginning and Ortiz agreed to it, Tucan wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Lost any interest in Kuchar after he bagged his one chance to win a major in the British Open with his ultra conservative play against a better player.

And now and forever, an outed cheapskate as well.

On what planet is he living on where he could not possible think that this wouldn't come back and bite him in the a..?

I guess the same planet where anybody with money thinks they can get away with most anything.

I think the greatest thing about professional golf is that all players, in my opinion, are judged against the gold standard.

When a player does something wrong, whether intentional or otherwise, they are, in my opinion, judged by a comparison to the gold standard.

The gold standard, in my opinion, is something really hard, but not impossible to live up to. It requires asking yourself every day, numerous times per day, "Is this the right thing to do?"

The Gold Standard, in my opinion, was, and is Arnold Palmer.

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha ll 3W & 5W
Callaway Steelhead lll 9 wood 
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4/E
Cleveland 588 TA 51* & 56* 
Ray Cook Blue Goose 

Kuchar’s caddie, John Wood, said that Matt shouldn’t forever be chastized for one mistake. True enough, but there have been rumblings that Kuchar has been a tightwad for some time.

Was he learned by the GOAT? (#popsicle)

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I think the greatest thing about professional golf is that all players, in my opinion, are judged against the gold standard.

When a player does something wrong, whether intentional or otherwise, they are, in my opinion, judged by a comparison to the gold standard.

The gold standard, in my opinion, is something really hard, but not impossible to live up to. It requires asking yourself every day, numerous times per day, "Is this the right thing to do?"

The Gold Standard, in my opinion, was, and is Arnold Palmer.

Heard some people say Arnie would tell Tour pros if you are signing an autograph make sure you can read it . take the time to do it right

Just picked up some Skechers shoes, damn they are comfy.

Funny, I heard they were a little tight.

Tightest on tour.

But you can't return them because "WE HAD AN AGREEMENT!!!!"

Hey hey hey, you quit it with that righteous condemnation, don't you know that's banned on here! LOL

I've got a working theory that Steiny took the spare cash and paid it to "a marketing agency" to run offence on here.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0