Callaway ERC Soft

erock9174

I want to see someone throw it on track man or GCQuad and hit full and partial wedges.

You hearing me Rick sheils and you tubers???

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

Two rounds in now with the Callaway ERC Soft. It is the real deal. Distance is very good. Granted it is not a Urethane ball, but does behave well on the greens. I was using it previously only to putt as I was given a two ball pack. Definitely like this ball as it helps line up my putts. The Triple Track is great at helping me line up. I will play this ball for the season and beyond.

For being a non urethane ball, did you see any short game faults? How was the flight of the ball? What other golf ball would you compare it to?

I played the ERC soft for the first time on Sunday. It is long off the Driver. I saw very good height on my iron shots which negates the lower spin. I only had one 7 iron, from about 165, that I thought “released” too far on the green.

I loved the alignment aid; a definite help.

Still too early to make declarative statements, but so far so good on the ball.

PXG Proto +, 10.5 turned to 9; Ventus 
PXG Gen4 3 metal ; Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4  5 metal;  Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4 hybrid; 21 degrees
PXG Gen4 Ps; 5-Gap with Nippon 950gh S
PXG Sugar Daddy wedges; 54 and 58; Nippon 950gh S

PXG 38” counter balanced, PXG Mustang

Titleist Pro V1x

I am an AVX player and was also fond of the Mizuno RB Tour (see Mizuno thread). I have a low trajectory window and like to play balls which don't spin excessively, but have a nice, soft feel to them.

Anyway, I took a sleeve of ERC's out during lunch today and here are my thoughts:

1) Ball is definitely a higher tracjectory ball

2) Ball is a touch too clicky for me and has a "heavy" feel to it. Not sure how else to describe it.

3) Spin is a touch lower with this ball and it doesn't check as well as I would like (60 yard pitch shot). I prefer a hop and stop type shot and this ball hoped and rolled out about 3 to 5 feet. It was consistant though and that is always a good thing.

4) Slight distance loss with all clubs in the bag (hitting into a 15 mph wind and the higher trajectory of this ball hurt distance).

5) Thought the alignment aid for putting was kind of cool. I prefer nothing showing on my ball (or putter head) when I putt, but still made 8 of 10 10 footers with the aid.

Overall, it's a nice ball and will fit alot of golfers needs. I would like to spend more time putting with this alignment system to see if it could be a major improvement for me, but do not want to putt with this ball because of the sound and it is a little "too fast" off the putter head.

Driver- TM 510 Tour
4 Wood- Titleist 970 Silver 17
Irons- PGA Diamondback Blades (RAW) 2 (20)- PW (52)
Sand Wedge- Scratch Don White 56
Lob Wedge- Scratch Don White 60
Putter- Titleist Bullseye (Cameron WGC Special)
Ball- Titleist Tour Speed

I dunno. Marketing’s a pretty special thing.

I thought Titleist was getting away with ridiculousness offering a high-priced non-urethane ball in the NSX. Now Callaway is in on the game.

And all this in an era where we’re starting to get decent priced urethane balls in the Project A and Q Star Tour.

It’s a strange game and not a game I’ll be playing.

I thought Titleist was getting away with ridiculousness offering a high-priced non-urethane ball in the NSX. Now Callaway is in on the game.

There is no such golf ball as a Titleist NSX. Titleist has the AVX ball which is a urethane covered ball. The competition for the Cally ERC Soft is the Titleist Tour Soft. The ERC Soft is more expensive than the Tour Soft by $5/dozen.

There is no such golf ball as a Titleist NSX. Titleist has the AVX ball which is a urethane covered ball. The competition for the Cally ERC Soft is the Titleist Tour Soft. The ERC Soft is more expensive than the Tour Soft by $5/dozen.

I think PorscheFan meant NXT which has been replaced by the Tour Soft as you mention. I guess for the $5/dozen Callaway is giving you graphene in the core, the hybrid cover which could spin more and the triple track alignment.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I think PorscheFan meant NXT which has been replaced by the Tour Soft as you mention. I guess for the $5/dozen Callaway is giving you graphene in the core, the hybrid cover which could spin more and the triple track alignment.

You got it! Sorry - I had just moved the spare tire from my NSX before I typed this... Clearly on my brain!

I don’t know how these balls with compete in a world that now includes the Snell, Project A, etc. Excellent no-excuses urethane balls.

I love the alignment aid on the ERC, but my guess is since they’ve invested in the printing that it will turn up on the Chromie at some point. Now that I’d be interested in...

The ERC is an interesting ball. I can't tell if I'm hitting it farther than the Chrome Soft. The 3-bar alignment aid is good, but you can buy a tool to do that on any ball. It is soft, but not noticeably more so than the Chrome Soft. It seems to have a bit less spin on chips, but that might be me expecting it.

The Chrome Soft will come out with the same alignment as the ERC. At that point, I simply don't see any advantages over the Chrome Soft. It's better than the Titleist AVX, but that's not the point. I just don't see the niche it fills at nearly the same price as the Chrome Soft. I'm not price-sensitive about balls anyway, so saving a few bucks doesn't matter.

I wonder what Snell is about to introduce?

The ERC is an interesting ball. I can't tell if I'm hitting it farther than the Chrome Soft. The 3-bar alignment aid is good, but you can buy a tool to do that on any ball. It is soft, but not noticeably more so than the Chrome Soft. It seems to have a bit less spin on chips, but that might be me expecting it.

The Chrome Soft will come out with the same alignment as the ERC. At that point, I simply don't see any advantages over the Chrome Soft. It's better than the Titleist AVX, but that's not the point. I just don't see the niche it fills at nearly the same price as the Chrome Soft. I'm not price-sensitive about balls anyway, so saving a few bucks doesn't matter.

I wonder what Snell is about to introduce?

Try original soft. Wilson Duo Pro. Have to trust Frank.

I grabbed a sleeve and played them Thursday. Not bad. The greens were soft but they definitely checked better than you would see on a normal surlyn covered ball. Distance was good, particularly into the wind compared to a Chrome Soft. There were several holes where I didn't think I had hit the ERC very well but had hit the CS very solid. When I got to the balls there wasn't much difference between them. Hit a few with the ERC that were long for me.

Feel wise I thought it was much softer and more muted than the CS. Definitely not mushy like the Supersoft, but no click like the CS. Not bad at all.

So performance wise they were pretty close to the CS, QST. For the price though I certainly prefer the Snell balls.

I played the ERC today. A great ball all around. It is longer for me with the irons and driver. Didn’t hit any fairway woods with it. Soft feeling for sure but not marshmallow soft. Zero issues with it around the green. I played very hard greens today and it was good enough. The lines on it rock. Only one thing I disliked.... The price!

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

$45/dz. here, same as Tour Softs. Pro (a) and QST are same price or cheaper and are urethane. ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Can anyone confirm what the cover is? I am not sure I understand this ball. Spins more than Sutton but less than urethane. Not sure if a big market for that. There are plenty of “lower” sponningnurethane available. As stated the price point is high- there are urethane balls for cheaper and sled cent suyln balls cheaper. I am not sure that 3 painted lines in a ball is “technology” or worth the cost. It may be a decent ball but for the price I cannot see really using on a regular basis. I just wish Callaway would tell us what the cover is made if. Seems they are trying to not tell us which makes me skeptical.

Can anyone confirm what the cover is? I am not sure I understand this ball. Spins more than Sutton but less than urethane. Not sure if a big market for that. There are plenty of “lower” sponningnurethane available. As stated the price point is high- there are urethane balls for cheaper and sled cent suyln balls cheaper. I am not sure that 3 painted lines in a ball is “technology” or worth the cost. It may be a decent ball but for the price I cannot see really using on a regular basis. I just wish Callaway would tell us what the cover is made if. Seems they are trying to not tell us which makes me skeptical.

They are saying what exactly the cover is because it is proprietary. They claim it is as if urethane and surlyn had a baby.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Played the ERC today and it was at minimum 10 yards shorter with the driver than 1vx for me. Irons weren’t as bad but still shorter. I loved the feel but was shocked at lack of distance. I’m curious because every thing I have read is that they were longer for others. Really enjoyed the triple track. Definitely less spin on approach shots but not lacking.

They claim it is as if urethane and surlyn had a baby.

Only from the standpoint of performance. It is a surlyn base but you need a soft cover to get spin around the green but if you make surlyn soft it becomes "dead" and is not very durable. So two components are added to surlyn to add speed and endurance. In regard to the Triple Track Technology, hyperacuity / vernier acuity isn't just the idea of three parallel lines but the color contrast, thickness and distance apart that the lines are is what is at the heart of the science.

Some take issue with the ball because the lines make it look "cheap". That doesn't seem to bother Phil using the technology on his CS-X. Also, Callaway has spent a number of years thinking outside the box and not just developing another urethane or another surlyn ball. Why should they get grief for that?

I've played it quite a bit now but am not 100% sold on it. I find it launches high and flies high and that steep angle of decent is a positive in that holding greens is not an issue. Chips and pitches have not been an issue as I have never been a high spin player on those types of shots to getting used to a little extra roll out has been easy for me. Those that play hard checking shots will probably have an issue with the ball. However, although I don't have the same sense with the ball off the irons I do feel I lose some distance with this ball off the driver if into the wind. I've used lines on the ball infrequently in the past but wanted to test out this Triple Track technology and I do feel it works.

I want to see someone throw it on track man or GCQuad and hit full and partial wedges.

I got a sleeve of these ERCs, E12S and BXS to compare against the Chrome Soft, SoftX that I play. I just have to arrange some time at the indoor golf place (trackman) near me to see what happens (I have a 3 hour round tomorrow, with no available slots before hand on their 4 bays, all booked solid). No, I will not be going on youtube (I'd break your screen) and their reservations are all booked this weekend.

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I got a sleeve of these ERCs, E12S and BXS to compare against the Chrome Soft, SoftX that I play. I just have to arrange some time at the indoor golf place (trackman) near me to see what happens (I have a 3 hour round tomorrow, with no available slots before hand on their 4 bays, all booked solid). No, I will not be going on youtube (I'd break your screen) and their reservations are all booked this weekend.

I played the ball this past weekend and it was great. I do have a hard time with the price point based on the fact that I can get what in theory are better priced urethane balls and even the ZStar performance packs at $20 per dozen. I have yet to find someone that does a full in-depth review on a lauch monitor. I’m really interested to see what you come up with in your testing.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

Talked with the manager at the Edwin Watts store in Destin, FL today. The ERC Soft is flying off the shelves.

PXG Proto +, 10.5 turned to 9; Ventus 
PXG Gen4 3 metal ; Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4  5 metal;  Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4 hybrid; 21 degrees
PXG Gen4 Ps; 5-Gap with Nippon 950gh S
PXG Sugar Daddy wedges; 54 and 58; Nippon 950gh S

PXG 38” counter balanced, PXG Mustang

Titleist Pro V1x

I grabbed a sleeve and played them Thursday. Not bad. The greens were soft but they definitely checked better than you would see on a normal surlyn covered ball. Distance was good, particularly into the wind compared to a Chrome Soft. There were several holes where I didn't think I had hit the ERC very well but had hit the CS very solid. When I got to the balls there wasn't much difference between them. Hit a few with the ERC that were long for me.

Feel wise I thought it was much softer and more muted than the CS. Definitely not mushy like the Supersoft, but no click like the CS. Not bad at all.

So performance wise they were pretty close to the CS, QST. For the price though I certainly prefer the Snell balls.

Agree on all fronts except snell....haven't tried before ....which model is as compressible, high launching and long?

Talked with the manager at the Edwin Watts store in Destin, FL today. The ERC Soft is flying off the shelves.

Same thing at my local PGATSS. Sold out of the white ones but have about 10 dozen yellows left.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Played the ERC last weekend for the first time and putted lights out with the triple track. Only hit 9 greens, but 25 putts and made a couple over 20 feet. Felt confident in the line and only had to focus on speed.

As far as distance goes, this ball is a little over a club longer in the irons than the ‘19 V1X I’ve been playing, which I felt like had too much spin and was fluttering at times. Spin around the greens is better than I expected, but not great.

Look forward to Cally making these lines available on more balls soon. If it isn’t for you that’s fine, but it definitely works for me.

So based on all the feedback so far, would the ERC be a good ball for someone with a driver SS of about 102-105, who is a high trajectory player with irons and likes a soft ball that only needs a lot of spin around the green?

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime