Toulon Atlanta H4 Review?

Norboo

Toulon Atlanta H4 face plate aluminum?

Any re views on this putter?

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

I do not own one of the Atlanta models, but what I’ve always found very interesting about the Toulon mallet putters, several have the compact look of a blade. Yes, there is mass behind the face but they seem smaller in person. One of my playing partners has been an Anser putter user for years. He got along great with the San Diego for most of last year. But then the pro shop got in Atlanta and and he instantly fell in love with that putter. Not only the looks but performance. He was confident with that putter that he had it lined up properly and then got a great roll out of it. Also remember there are basically two neck options. Just find the one that looks and performs best for you

• Like 1

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

Keep in mind Ed is a Toulon spokesperson and wouldn't say a bad thing about a Toulon putter for any sum of money.

I owned one for a very brief time. I didn't like it much. I find it a very odd shape and size. It's a bit too small for a mallet imo. Imo it fits the eye of a very small few. It's shorter than a blade, smaller than a mallet, has a flat back, and a short chunky topline, just not for me...

Not to mention that nearly all of us in the Lefty Swap Shop have passed a few Atlantas around. I sold one here locally and the guy listed it the next day for less money than he paid.

I CAN however see a few people really liking it as it's a unique offering.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

• 2 weeks later...

I used a Queen B 7 all last year, and much to my bummer....just couldnt get comfy with it. I gave it alot of play because I really liked the looks of it but just wasnt feeling putting. The harder/clicky feel was something that took a while to get used to, and Im not sure if I ever really did. All the while this was going on I low key, kept creeping on the Toulon Atlanta as its more or less very similar in shape and it looked great to me. I finally made my mind up and found a like new Atlanta on CPO for a steal and went for it.

First impression:

Its bigger than the B (which was quite small), but not a giant mid mallet. The dark/graphite like finish looks great and paired with a black shaft looks dope. Also I was able to fit the Atlanta in a regular putter headcover, granted its a little snug but it does work fine.

Feel:

Ugh, makes me feel bad but the Toulon feel is so much better than the B. Its a very soft feel, and when you hit the sweet spot it feels awesome. Not overly mushy, but soft and still provides you really good feed back. Granted feel is subjective, but I think it felt similar to the white hot insert kind of soft. Which is really impressive coming from a non insert.

Forgiveness:

After all its a mallet like head, so looking for a little assistance on those mis strikes right? Here the Toulon is in another world than the B. One of the toughest things with the B is that it was straight hateful when you are a bit off. The feel is almost like a hoseled iron shot, and the putt ends up super short. The Atlanta is nothing of the sort, and really shined to me here. It provided great feel still when you were a bit off, kept the putt online and you arent penalized nearly as much.

Again, all of this is subjective as putting and whatnot is very personal. But from my experience, Im VERY impressed by the Atlanta and really look forward to using it more all this season. I also am a regular tool that has no connection to Toulon lol, so no skin in the game here.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

I have the Portland which is essential the same size as Atlanta and find it a little small but it has a wonderful feel.

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

Surprised to see Toulon leave my local golf galaxy. Does anyone know what is going on?

Unless they dropped odyssey and Callaway it is unlikely they don’t carry them anymore. The 2018 models have mostly sold out everywhere. The 2019 models will be in store next month. Pre-orders just started Friday.

All of the branding in the store was removed (signs and logos), and golf galaxy has the putters on clearance. Really surprising. I game an Indy and like it a lot.

Surprised to see Toulon leave my local golf galaxy. Does anyone know what is going on?

Unless they dropped odyssey and Callaway it is unlikely they don't carry them anymore. The 2018 models have mostly sold out everywhere. The 2019 models will be in store next month. Pre-orders just started Friday.

^^Perhaps their signage is changing with Odyssey being more prominent on the putters? The GG website has the previous models discounted but the new are all full price.

https://m.golfgalaxy.com/search/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=toulon&searchType=Keyword&wasEntered=true&noSearch=false

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

The old models are an absolute steal right now. $199 at PGASS. I love a good deal and that’s a tough one to resist.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S

Mizuno Pro 221 4-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Odyssey Ai-ONE Seven CH | KBS CT Tour
Titleist ProV1

I had one didn’t keep it long. Had a superstroke on it but swapped for a standard grip thinking that was the problem. Disclaimer* I’m an anser guy 100%. Found it to be oddly big. It’s a very compact size but it still seemed big and I just couldn’t hit the ball on line with it and had poor distance control. It felt decent for a stainless putter. It does look nice but I would definitely not buy another

I have one. My learnings with these mid mallets is that you really have to get the lie right on them or they just feel awkward.

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSI2 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

Sole plate is aluminum. Body & face are 303 stainless

The standard A7 sole plate is aluminum, but there are also s20 (steel) and t40 (tungsten) sole plates available made from heavier materials.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone compared the Atlanta and the Portland? I currently game the Portland and love it but Callaway preowned has last years Toulons cheap and was thinking of picking up an Atlanta but wanted to hear how they compare to each other, feel, alignment, etc..

Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Blue TR 6X 45.25"
Callaway Paradym 15* HZRDUS Black Gen 4 70g 6.0

Callaway Apex UW 19* HZRDUS Black Gen 4 70g 6.0

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM9 50*08* F / 54*12*D/ 58*12*D
LAB Mezz Max Broomstick 44" / 79.5* 

A few weeks update:

Spent a lot more time putting with the Atlanta in the basement and got some practice time out doors with it. Still very impressed and really looking forward to the season with it. To me, the best thing coming from the Queen B 7, has been the feel and forgiveness of the Toulon. Off center putts really do not punish you near as much and they still stay pretty true to your line, that can make a few strokes difference a round when you arent left as far out when you hit it a bit off center. The weight of it also is really nice, in that I can feel it through the swing and keep a consistent, repeatable arc going, and im not worried about where im going mid stroke. Can just focus on lines and speed.

The feel really stands out. Its very soft, and imparts a great feedback on the hands and Im really liking it. To me its not too soft like some inserts where you can sometimes lose track of where your hitting it, but just soft enough. Ive played 2 scotty newports, a queen b 5 and 7 and the Toulons feel to me ranks #1.

Still liking it very much, and really cant wait to see it in battle of competitive rounds.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

How similar is the Atlanta to this Cleveland Huntington Beach #6 in terms of size and shape? I bought this for my teenage son and have really liked it. I want to try a Toulon and am torn between the Atlanta and the Memphis but no one carries Toulon where I am so I have to fly blind if I order one.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I very much liked the feel of the Portland. Mallet like but not overwhelming. For whatever reason, to me, the Atlanta did not "feel" as nice as the Portland. Seemed more muted, less responsive. I'm sure that's in my head, but that was my experience with it.

Not a shock. Way more mass centered behind the ball w/ the Atlanta, which creates a more solid or quieter sound. They’re both great, but different.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

I very much liked the feel of the Portland. Mallet like but not overwhelming. For whatever reason, to me, the Atlanta did not "feel" as nice as the Portland. Seemed more muted, less responsive. I'm sure that's in my head, but that was my experience with it.

Not a shock. Way more mass centered behind the ball w/ the Atlanta, which creates a more solid or quieter sound. They’re both great, but different.

When you say quieter are you meaning softer? I play the Portland now and love the feel but I think the Atlanta fits my eye better for alignment. I just don’t want to give up the soft feel if the Atlanta feels harder. I’m just really trying to get opinions on the how they differ in terms of feel and alignment for people who have hit both.

• 2 weeks later...

> When you say quieter are you meaning softer? I play the Portland now and love the feel but I think the Atlanta fits my eye better for alignment. I just don’t want to give up the soft feel if the Atlanta feels harder. I’m just really trying to get opinions on the how they differ in terms of feel and alignment for people who have hit both.

I've been using last years Atlanta H4 now for about a week. I LOVE it. I think the feel and sound is perfect. It's VERY soft to me. It's softer than the Scotty Cameron X7 I was using with the aluminum insert. In fact it's the softest feeling putter off the face I've used since the Odyssey ProType that had the White Hot insert. It's very soft but not the "mushy" feel of the White Hot insert.

Love the size of this putter coming from the huge X7 I was using.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

> @cmatthews77 said:

>

> I've been using last years Atlanta H4 now for about a week. I LOVE it. I think the feel and sound is perfect. It's VERY soft to me. It's softer than the Scotty Cameron X7 I was using with the aluminum insert. In fact it's the softest feeling putter off the face I've used since the Odyssey ProType that had the White Hot insert. It's very soft but not the "mushy" feel of the White Hot insert.

>

> Love the size of this putter coming from the huge X7 I was using.

I recently switched to the Atlanta and have to agree it feels great. IMO it feels softer/better than the Portland.

> @duffputter said:

> PreppySlapCut wrote:

>

>

> BYK wrote:

>

>

>

> I very much liked the feel of the Portland. Mallet like but not overwhelming. For whatever reason, to me, the Atlanta did not "feel" as nice as the Portland. Seemed more muted, less responsive. I'm sure that's in my head, but that was my experience with it.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Not a shock. Way more mass centered behind the ball w/ the Atlanta, which creates a more solid or quieter sound. They’re both great, but different.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> When you say quieter are you meaning softer? I play the Portland now and love the feel but I think the Atlanta fits my eye better for alignment. I just don’t want to give up the soft feel if the Atlanta feels harder. I’m just really trying to get opinions on the how they differ in terms of feel and alignment for people who have hit both.

Yes. While feel is obviously personal, I can’t imagine someone hitting both and finding the Atlanta to be harder or clickier.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox