Fitting Tall Golfers With NO Chart or Preconceived Ideas!

rybo

I am 6' 4” with disproportionately long legs and, towards the end of 2017, I applied Rybo's approach to fitting, i.e. take one's highest lofted wedge with an uncut shaft, establish an athletic position, measure resultant length of club, grip and test. (Rybo was kind enough to look at a photograph of me and confirm the athletic nature of my posture.)

I ended up with my 58 degree wedge being 38” long and having a lie angle of 66 degrees. With these specifications, full shots were consistently middle-of-face strikes. I then rebuilt my existing irons (3-PW Macgregor Pro Cs with DG S300 shafts and Star Tour Wrap midsize grips) as follows: 3/8” length and 7g increments from club to club. The six iron in this set is 39 3/4” long and weighs 458g.

I do not concern myself with swingweight as my specifications lie so far outside of what is considered to be normal. (Mike Tait, the founder of SMT Golf, once commented on people's obsession with SW numbers by saying, “I can swingweight a telegraph pole to D4 but this does not mean you are able to swing it.”.) Instead I focus on the heft of club. I like to hold a mid iron in my left hand and, if the grip feels right, ask myself two questions. Do I like the overall weight? Can I feel the head? I know the weight of my clubs would not suit someone with a quick tempo viz. Nick Price or Matt Fitzpatrick. Given I am a swinger of the club with a smooth, deliberate tempo, the weight does not bother me.

I played well with this set but wondered whether a lighter set would perform better. During the course of 2018 I tested three different sets of irons all with the same lengths, weight increments, lie angles and with the same model of Star grip. A set of Wishon 555 cavity backs shafted with 80g, stiff Recoil shafts (6 iron weighed 403g); a set of Mizuno T Zoid Pro shafted with DG XP95 stiff shafts (6 iron weighed 428g); and a set of Tourstage X Blades shafted with stiff, NS Pro 950 shafts (6 iron weighed 453g). As single handicap player with solid eye/hand coordination, I hit all sets either on, or very close to, to the sweet spot.

I immensely disliked the Recoil shafted Wishons. There was always a sense of vagueness to the strike. I also felt they were too light for my established tempo. The Mizunos were much better but I was more accurate with the 6-PW than I was with the 3-5 irons. The Tourstage irons were love at first swing. I did not think I would find a more playable set than Macgregors but I have. From the 3 iron to the PW, the Tourstage are the best feeling irons (heft, ball-off-face and sole-through-turf) I have ever played. The combination of lighter shafts and heavier heads, compared to the Macgregors, works wonderfully well for my swing.

As someone, like many, whose physical characteristics mean retail offerings (irons and wedges) are largely irrelevant, I am delighted to have a terrific set in play: and a great back-up set in the cupboard. I would like to end this long post by, once again, thanking Rybo for posting so much valuable information.

• Like 2

So this video was just uploaded on golfwrx and this driving range is like 20 minutes away. May need to pay them a visit and see what I can find out. Tall Man Golf clubs!!!

http://www.golfwrx.com/541532/watch-this-posture-feels-like-that/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Blogroll_Home&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to hear your opinion on how to create these long clubs pratically. I'm 6'7 and play +3 inch clubs, made my strike much more consistent. However, they are made that long by inserting another shaft into the existing shaft and cutting it. Do you recommend buying uncut shafts, plug it into existing heads and cut it to the preferred length? Does every iron have a specific uncut shaft or are all the same? And if uncut version is not long enough, then plug in another shaft in but? Seems crazy to some but my +3 inches does not feel long enough on shorter irons especially... thanks for any input!

I would like to hear your opinion on how to create these long clubs pratically. I'm 6'7 and play +3 inch clubs, made my strike much more consistent. However, they are made that long by inserting another shaft into the existing shaft and cutting it. Do you recommend buying uncut shafts, plug it into existing heads and cut it to the preferred length? Does every iron have a specific uncut shaft or are all the same? And if uncut version is not long enough, then plug in another shaft in but? Seems crazy to some but my +3 inches does not feel long enough on shorter irons especially... thanks for any input!

You need to buy new uncut shafts and cut to length. There are two types of hosel sizes which would determine what you need. .355 are taper tip and each shaft is specifically made for each iron. .370 is paralell tip, each shaft is the exact same and you cut to the right length per the companies instructions. I believe 2 inches is about the most you want to go with an extension because you risk breaking the extension.

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like it would be easier for me to go with .370 then, but I guess that is specific for each iron head? If buying new clubs, is there an idea of targeting Heads for .370?

I would choose the club you like and request 3 inches over. I think both types will work based on the uncut shaft length.

So to get the tallest clubs possible, I either go with parallel tips or buy for instance 8 2-iron shafts that are tapered. That would essentially be similar to paralllell shafts cause the weight would be smaller for each club if I shorten that 2iron to appropriate length for every iron? Also thinking about using that tapered 2-iron shaft as a single length club, which would be similar to someone else using a standard 7 iron length for entire set, given that I want clubs that are in the 3-4 inch longer range..

In this video, http://www.golfwrx.com/541532/watch-this-posture-feels-like-that/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Blogroll_Home&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused, he states Tall Man Golf is using a True Temper Long Putter shaft (1:10) as their normal iron shaft.

Using Parallel shafts with Single Length heads will get very long depending on how much or little they are tipped.

Extensions are perfectly fine and provide other benefits of stiffening the butt end of the shaft and adding some additional counter weight.

Lastly KBS Tour parallel tip shafts come in 43.5" lengths. Depending on what weight and flex you need there would be plenty of length. I'd advise not using any manufacturer tip trimming guides as these guidelines are all based on standard builds.

So to get the tallest clubs possible, I either go with parallel tips or buy for instance 8 2-iron shafts that are tapered. That would essentially be similar to paralllell shafts cause the weight would be smaller for each club if I shorten that 2iron to appropriate length for every iron? Also thinking about using that tapered 2-iron shaft as a single length club, which would be similar to someone else using a standard 7 iron length for entire set, given that I want clubs that are in the 3-4 inch longer range..

If the club heads you are using need 0.355 shafts and you are not building to single length and you are wanting 3 or 4 inch over length irons...I would NOT use all 2-iron shafts. As Rybo said, butt extensions would be fine. Buy a full set of shafts and use extensions in the case mentioned above.

Thanks for the replies again! Then I would also like to ask, if I'm going with parallel shafts to maximize length (for instance the 43.5"), should I go x-stiff if I usually play stiff? Read somewhere that soft stepping three times is more than one flex change, but that's more affecting tapered shafts I presume? And another question, to be sure that I bus .370 heads if I'm going with the parallel shafts, can i buy used clubs with graphite in them nad change to steel?

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread.

I assume I'm in the minority here in that I'm 6'3" tall with 36.5" WTF. I play my best with longer clubs but flatter lies...

Anyway, I think there are some good thoughts here, but I would agree with previous posters that adding length to a driver isn't going to help you just because you're tall. There's more to it that that; it may or may not help you. Adding length to the shorter clubs is basically a necessity for taller folks, but not as clear cut with the other ones.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

• 10 months later...

Really wish I came across this thread when it was going. Being 6'6" and not getting to play much anymore, remembering the manipulations from playing irons that are too short makes for frustrating golf. All I want to do after reading this is build irons. It makes sense. I have a video from back in the fall that shows me with a lot of waist bend and a hunch in my back. I was hitting a 4 iron and someone said it looked like I was using a kid's club.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic has set off light bulbs in my head. I'm 6'2" with a 37" WTF with golf shoes on, by no means "giant" but definitely above average. I realize that I have had these ideas bouncing around in my head for a while, but never really could put it all together until reading Rybo's posts. Now it is like a moment of clarity and I believe 100% that taller golfers should be using significantly longer clubs. I think there's a stigma around anything that's over +1/2" in length because 90%+ of golfers are 5'10" or below and could never understand unless they go try to play with Junior clubs for a whole season.

What really struck home is when I thought of a player like Rory Mcilroy. Undoubtedly, he's a fantastic ball striker and one of the best drivers of the golf ball the game has ever seen. He's 5'9" and has used anywhere from a 45-45.5" driver. I did a little different calculation of my own, and it's by no means an exact science but I think it highlights the general point all the same. Rory Mcilroy is 69 inches tall in total and uses a 45-45.5" driver. That means his driver length is roughly 65% of his total height. I am 74 inches tall, and a driver that is 65% of my height would be ~48" long! Now, I'm not advocating jumping right to 48" drivers, but I think it puts it into perspective that angles and type of swing Rory is able to achieve when his swing planes are influenced by a certain length of club relative to his frame.

There are numerous other functional swings in the professional game, so I'm not trying to pull Rory Mcilroy out as a lone example. But when you have the epitome of ball striking who is 5 inches shorter than you using the same length clubs as you do, it does make you scratch your head...

As a side story, I also remember years ago hitting my buddy's irons that were built +1.5" long. He's 6'6" or 6'7", so I didn't really think twice about why he had such long clubs compared to mine. I remember sitting on the range hitting his 5-iron which would have been 39.5" long, and I was absolutely striping it. It was genuinely the first time that I felt like Rory, having a nice tall posture, and really being able to take almost a "baseball" swing at the ball. I was hitting perfect shots, dead out of the middle, could work it any way I wanted. It was pretty crazy. Then I handed him his iron back in a "well, that was fun" moment, and went back to hitting my irons that immediately felt off and more difficult to use. As though I had to take time to "adjust" back to them.

Unfortunately, as others have said, it's not just a black and white thing to lengthen your clubs. However, I am excited to experiment with it and will have to report back as to where I end up. I'm thinking of going lighter in the shafts, like with a Steelfiber 110X or Recoil 110X, in hopes that while swing weight will go up with added length, the overall heft or feel of the club will still be in balance. I'm also going to just jump right in with a 47" driver and dial it back as needed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have just come across this thread whilst researching a new build for my irons - perfect timing for someone that's 6'6" with a 39" WTF.

Question for the OP, or anyone else that may be qualified to respond - how did you manage the swing weight progression throughout the set? I am looking to build to pretty much the same as the specs in your original post (in terms of length) however I am getting a progression of 1 SW point for every club (see attached).

DGMQQAFRH7RI.pngNow I always knew that by adding so much length that they would SW high, but I assumed there would be 2 - 3 SW points between the longest and shortest clubs - not 1 SW point PER CLUB!

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

6'2" long legs, short arms, and a wide chest.

+2" and 2-3° up. Modus 130X, 14g brass ferrules, jumbomax grips. Driver 70S tip'd 1", 20g hotmelt in head. 3w 85S tip'd 1/2", 19g lead tape, jumbomax grip.

Edited by Hack Daddy

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

• 7 months later...

Stumbled onto this thread now that I’m looking for some new irons. I’ve been told by more than a few pros that I’ll need at least 3/4”+ due to being 6’4”+ in shoes, with broad shoulders and a barrel chest from years of football, powerlifting, and strongman. I’ve played a used standard set of X2 hots since I started the game. 

Anyways, reading through, I’ve noticed all these very upright lie angle recommendations from fitters, but it seems a few of you have found that flatter is helping. I had a lesson with Dan C. a few months ago, and he also mentioned going flatter than standard (and longer) to help promote the rotational swing. Then, you’ve got this TXG video (above) that to my understanding is effectively saying that going upright in lie shortens the club dynamically - which seems to agree with @rybo and his thoughts. 

I think I’ll start with a maltby custom order to see if something in the +1” realm will feel decent, and I’ve been wanting to try some higher swing weights since I’ve really never been able to “feel the weight of the club head”. 

It’s just funny to think that I’ve been trying so hard to just swing through the ball, rotate, etc, which I’ve really come a long way with - but now my misses are thin and toe - and it seems like such a simple explanation that my clubs are too short to let my body function like I’m trying to make it. 

Edited by enormous13
Add Info
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, enormous13 said:

Stumbled onto this thread now that I’m looking for some new irons. I’ve been told by more than a few pros that I’ll need at least 3/4”+ due to being 6’4”+ in shoes, with broad shoulders and a barrel chest from years of football, powerlifting, and strongman. I’ve played a used standard set of X2 hots since I started the game. 

Anyways, reading through, I’ve noticed all these very upright lie angle recommendations from fitters, but it seems a few of you have found that flatter is helping. I had a lesson with Dan C. a few months ago, and he also mentioned going flatter than standard (and longer) to help promote the rotational swing. Then, you’ve got this TXG video (above) that to my understanding is effectively saying that going upright in lie shortens the club dynamically - which seems to agree with @rybo and his thoughts. 

I think I’ll start with a maltby custom order to see if something in the +1” realm will feel decent, and I’ve been wanting to try some higher swing weights since I’ve really never been able to “feel the weight of the club head”. 

It’s just funny to think that I’ve been trying so hard to just swing through the ball, rotate, etc, which I’ve really come a long way with - but now my misses are thin and toe - and it seems like such a simple explanation that my clubs are too short to let my body function like I’m trying to make it. 

Gripping the uncut shaft made a world of difference. Changed my game like I couldn't have ever imagined. 

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

• 2 weeks later...

Reading through some of the responses to this is interesting. I'm 6'6" and have played +3/4" over Mizuno standard for a while now (old standard, guess it would be +1/2" now). But I've been considering longer clubs because I feel as though some of my swing issues are compensations for length, though I have them with the driver as well. I went a bit longer with my last set of wedges and have liked them, but have been curious about starting with a 6 irons length and doing 3/8" gaps between clubs. It's just an expensive experiment.

Also have to get over hang-ups about swing weight as I know with the longer clubs it's going to feel heavier. I tend to fight toe hits and used to try to fix it with lie angle but I don't think that was the correct approach. Thinking of going longer when I order a new set, maybe +1" just to see how it works. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

2 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

I'm 6'6" and have played +3/4" over Mizuno standard for a while now (old standard, guess it would be +1/2" now).

Not sure if you've done any arm length measurements but depending on your ape factor (https://www.99boulders.com/ape-index-calculator) you might already be in the correct length of you have longer arms.  My ape factor is +1 (I'm 6'9") and routinely played irons from +1.25" to +1.5" - my last set of irons (MP-18 blades) I decided to go to +2" just to experiment.  It's been a good change and I've had no reason to cut them down.  I too used to get hung up on SW but I don't anymore - however, I am trying out the counterbalanced solution from Switchgrips (https://www.switchgripsusa.com/product/sgrm-blue/) because I like to tinker around like most GolfWRX'ers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toddmanley said:

Not sure if you've done any arm length measurements but depending on your ape factor (https://www.99boulders.com/ape-index-calculator) you might already be in the correct length of you have longer arms.  My ape factor is +1 (I'm 6'9") and routinely played irons from +1.25" to +1.5" - my last set of irons (MP-18 blades) I decided to go to +2" just to experiment.  It's been a good change and I've had no reason to cut them down.  I too used to get hung up on SW but I don't anymore - however, I am trying out the counterbalanced solution from Switchgrips (https://www.switchgripsusa.com/product/sgrm-blue/) because I like to tinker around like most GolfWRX'ers.

Interesting, I think I'm around a 39" wrist to floor. Not really sure about my wing span but I don't think it's drastically different than my height. I'm mainly seeing a lot of toe hits, though that's more swing than anything, but even in what feels like a very tall posture, I still feel like I look too bent over/out over the ball. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

• 2 months later...
On 11/2/2020 at 12:35 PM, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Interesting, I think I'm around a 39" wrist to floor. Not really sure about my wing span but I don't think it's drastically different than my height. I'm mainly seeing a lot of toe hits, though that's more swing than anything, but even in what feels like a very tall posture, I still feel like I look too bent over/out over the ball. 

We are about the same WTF. I think what's been found through this thread is that not having long enough shafts results in manipulations of the swing which cause the toe strikes.

I posted earlier in 2020 after finding this thread. It was very enlightening. I proceeded to extend my wedges and irons. I also switched heads. After reflecting on the season, I saw a pretty noticeable improvement in my wedges but had a real lack of consistency in my longer irons. Which was a strength in my game. The time has come to tinker! I'm going to test some larger grips and a lighter shaft and go back to the other heads. They were much more forgiving and I developed some elbow and shoulder problems towards the end of the season. 

I'm looking at a Steelfiber i110 shaft and a couple of Jumbomax Ultralites and I'm going to grab a regular Jumbo as well. May even grab a Jumbomax Tour to see what kind of effect a 105g grip has. All I know is that starting at 37" in my wedges made practicing with them way more enjoyable.

• 1 month later...

I started a separate thread on this, but thought I might get more traction here. @rybo has some great info. throughout this thread. I tried to go back and understand the measurements, but got rather confused. It seems a lot of the pictures, charts, etc. are no longer in the thread. Anyway, below is where I'm currently at.

Preparing to order a custom built set of irons from Maltby (4-GW). I'm 6'8" and after a recent fitting have determined that plus 1-1/2" on the 7i is what I need. I'm considering going 1/4" or 3/8" progression between clubs both ways from there instead of the standard 1/2" progression. Reason being is the smaller progression will get me extra length on the short irons, where I definitely need it, without getting the long irons too long. The few times I played last year, I hit my standard length 4i better than any club in my bag. Being standard it's right at 38.5", which would be the new length of my 7i at plus 1-1/2". Going 1/4" progression that gets me a 39.25" 4i and a 37.75" PW. I know this will get SW's a little whacky through the set, but I'm OK with that. Length, for me, is the most important factor. I do wonder what this will do in regards to lie angles throughout the set. I'm sticking to standard or possibly a degree or 2 flat. If I go standard lie angle with my 7i, do I need to consider something different in the longer irons and/or shorter irons to keep things fairly consistent throughout the set? Any other thoughts on having a smaller progression than the standard 1/2" across a set of irons? 

• 4 months later...

Rybo what a great thread you put together. This is exactly what I was looking to find, thanks for doing this. Unfortunately I think there was a picture in your second post into this thread that wasn't showing up.

I'm 6'5 and a very new golfer. I've taken a few lessons to figure out my swing, but every pro I spoke to said to get fitted, and that is better to get clubs that fit and build a swing from there, vs making bad habits and waiting. Especially when I'm so hunched over my $50 yard sale set of standard irons.

I got a very quick free static fitting at a golf shop(when they find out you aren't buying they really don't care too much about helping you out), they said I had a wrist to floor of 42 inches. He briefly said I'll need +2 inches and an upright lie of 3-4 degrees. I was off their chart, literally. I'm getting a secondary opinion tomorrow with a more reputable guy who will talk more about grip size actually measure my lie angle and Shaft weight and flex, but I'm beginning to get concerned about a few things, namely swing weight and overall weight of the club.

I've really been looking at maltby irons for their cheap options (relatively) for new sets that can accommodate the length i need. I can't justify spending $1000 on custom clubs, but $2-3 hundred is much more feasible for a set that fits. Also to get started on a proper lie angle(I made need to get it further angled, since the guy at maltby I spoke to said they can only go to 2 degrees upright). The same guy at Maltby instructed me in the concept of swing weights and gave me a bunch of information, but now I'm a little concerned. The potential swing weight I could have is a minimum of E1(from the added length i need, plus larger grip weight), not to mention the overall weight of an steel shafted iron is making me think. For a person who is admittedly not very strong and still out of shape, this is making me a little paranoid about what I would

need. I guess out of all this rambling I have a few questions for the more experienced tall golfers here.

For a new person starting out, is a generic steel shaft with a heavy swing weight going to mess with me? Would it be stupid for a new golfer to save weight with a graphite shaft, even though I don't have experience with one? Should I just deal with the whatever the standard weight is going to be with the length i need, and just give it time to see if I really do improve and get into it? Or preemptively try to lower it?

I was initially looking at the STi2 iron heads, but some googling I've seen said that cast iron heads can't have their lie angle adjusted more than 2 degrees. If I need more than 2 degrees, can the head be bent further, or should I go for a forged iron like the TE forged head to get the ability to bend them more?

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to slowly getting better at this game!

Unfortunately/fortunately, alot will come down to personal preference. 

But judging by your profile name, I'm guessing you don't mind experimenting?

If you are new to golf, grab whatever iron you like to hit the best. Example 7, 8 or 9 iron.  An old demo club off eBay or local, with a stiff shaft(or if lightweight steel x-flex). Throw a 2 inch extension in and a mid or jumbo grip and give it a swing. 

Put some foot spray on the face and see where you are hitting it. Search DIY fitting here and follow some of the protocols and you should be off to the races.  Air compressors, pipe cutters and lead tape are the best money spent to do your own grips and length tweaks.

The total weight and shaft choice/brand can come into effect later on down the road once you find your swing and what length, lie and grip you get the best results with.

If you are 6'5" are you are >200lbs?

Once you find a length, I like using 3/8 length increments between clubs. IMO Driver and 3 wood / hybrid are okay to be shorter than today's standard lengths to start. I like them heavier than normal too. 

These are just rough starting points that won't break the bank. Don't need to get to bogged down on all the minute details and measurements if you are just starting out. Let comfort and results guide your changes. 

Edited by trying2scratch

On 8/12/2021 at 4:40 PM, Mr. Scientist said:

Rybo what a great thread you put together. This is exactly what I was looking to find, thanks for doing this. Unfortunately I think there was a picture in your second post into this thread that wasn't showing up.

I'm 6'5 and a very new golfer. I've taken a few lessons to figure out my swing, but every pro I spoke to said to get fitted, and that is better to get clubs that fit and build a swing from there, vs making bad habits and waiting. Especially when I'm so hunched over my $50 yard sale set of standard irons.

I got a very quick free static fitting at a golf shop(when they find out you aren't buying they really don't care too much about helping you out), they said I had a wrist to floor of 42 inches. He briefly said I'll need +2 inches and an upright lie of 3-4 degrees. I was off their chart, literally. I'm getting a secondary opinion tomorrow with a more reputable guy who will talk more about grip size actually measure my lie angle and Shaft weight and flex, but I'm beginning to get concerned about a few things, namely swing weight and overall weight of the club.

I've really been looking at maltby irons for their cheap options (relatively) for new sets that can accommodate the length i need. I can't justify spending $1000 on custom clubs, but $2-3 hundred is much more feasible for a set that fits. Also to get started on a proper lie angle(I made need to get it further angled, since the guy at maltby I spoke to said they can only go to 2 degrees upright). The same guy at Maltby instructed me in the concept of swing weights and gave me a bunch of information, but now I'm a little concerned. The potential swing weight I could have is a minimum of E1(from the added length i need, plus larger grip weight), not to mention the overall weight of an steel shafted iron is making me think. For a person who is admittedly not very strong and still out of shape, this is making me a little paranoid about what I would

need. I guess out of all this rambling I have a few questions for the more experienced tall golfers here.

For a new person starting out, is a generic steel shaft with a heavy swing weight going to mess with me? Would it be stupid for a new golfer to save weight with a graphite shaft, even though I don't have experience with one? Should I just deal with the whatever the standard weight is going to be with the length i need, and just give it time to see if I really do improve and get into it? Or preemptively try to lower it?

I was initially looking at the STi2 iron heads, but some googling I've seen said that cast iron heads can't have their lie angle adjusted more than 2 degrees. If I need more than 2 degrees, can the head be bent further, or should I go for a forged iron like the TE forged head to get the ability to bend them more?

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to slowly getting better at this game!

If you really get the length correct, you don't need to start with the extra upright lie angles.

I would have the experienced club maker build you a Maltby test club or two that you can work with, before committing to a whole set.  It's well worth the cost of a club or two, to be able to use them on your own for a while, before deciding on the rest