2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Getting rid of the Speedstep shafts in my Nike Blades.

gazgolf1

Just picked up a set of Nike blades and while I really like the feel of these irons the stock shafts are just too light.

My question is what will a set of DG S-300's do to my ball flight and will they give me anymore distance as I feel like I've lost a bit from my previous X-Tours (I know this is probably due the weak lofts of the Nikes).

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I have a set of nike blades with the speedstep, I don't play them anymore, but here is what I think.

first, with my nikes, for me they play one club length shorter than most of the iron sets I have. I love the nikes, they are very forgiving for blades, and very nice to hit, also very accurate. but just not the longest iron you will hit. Keep in mind, irons are for accuracy, woods are for distance.

the swing weight will become about 30 percent less in the irons if you want them cut to the same length, so you may have to add some lead tape if you can't feel the head. If you are going to do this, I would see about hard stepping your shafts by 1 club. I wish I had mine. It's a long story, but basically when I did mine, as with all the other clubs in the past, the tape seems to weaken the tip. I know lots of guys will tell you that 1 inch of tape equals only 2 grams and it couldn't matter, but they are wrong, after 2 or 3 pieces of tape the s300 doesn't have the same tip it did.

Don't put lead powder or corks in your shafts, you will have problems.

If you are starting to "pick the club up" on your backswing, then your shafts are probably to light.

I usually go back to playing my dci 990's, but right now I am playing the 695cb

good luck

nike speed step shafts are true temper tx-90, low kick point, soft tip which equates to high trajectory, high spin.

the dgsl are equivelant to the dg, but a different alloy so that they are lighter, but perform equally, high kickpoint, firm tip which equates to low trajectory and low spin

i've used the dgsl in a v-steel 3 wood and slingshot tour hybrid and had a tendency to find the left side. i reshafted the v-steel with a rifle and all was good. i'm in the same process with the slingshot tour hybrid. i'll know if it worked later this week. mind you, i prefer heavier shafts to keep my swing in check.

as for scotte's response:

the nike forged are going to play shorter than almost any set on the market today because the lofts are one of the weakest available - 49* pitching wedge and 23* 3 iron. they have "more traditional" lofts. the shafts are also a 1/4" shorter than most iron sets - 37-3/4" 5 iron compared to most sets have a 38" 5 iron

you don't need to worry about losing swing weight as the heavier shafts (speed step/tx-90 = 98 grams and dg s300 = 130 grams) will increase swing weight. you will need to have a good clubmaker work on them to get the swingweights where you want them.

if the added weight of the dg s300 shafts, or the high kickpoint and stiff tip scare you, you can always look at going with rifle shafts instead. they have a lower kickpoint (mid in the 5.5 and mid/high in 6.0) and a mid/firm tip. they launch the ball higher than dg s300, but lower than the speed step shafts. they are also lighter at 124 grams.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Speedstep in the Blades?? Never seen that option before, only R300, S400, and X100.

Also, Nike blades have more traditional lofts, hence why they may be "shorter".

I agree with Nikemike, speed steps in nike blades huh? If you purchased them off eBay many sellers have mislabeld the shafts and called them SpeedStep becaues thats what they assumed.

Towards the tip section does it have a screen printing that says True Temper Dynamic Gold? Is so they are not The speed Step or TX90's.

If you have an Stiff set they are DGS400, which is not a light weight shaft (132 grams).

Speedstep in the Blades?? Never seen that option before, only R300, S400, and X100.

Also, Nike blades have more traditional lofts, hence why they may be "shorter".

I agree with Nikemike, speed steps in nike blades huh? If you purchased them off eBay many sellers have mislabeld the shafts and called them SpeedStep becaues thats what they assumed.

Towards the tip section does it have a screen printing that says True Temper Dynamic Gold? Is so they are not The speed Step or TX90's.

If you have an Stiff set they are DGS400, which is not a light weight shaft (132 grams).

I just checked and the screenprinting is there :),so they are S400's,just wondering why they feel so light.

Maybe teh Swing Weights are light, or maybe its mental, like you assumed that they were speed step so you mind told you they were light. I do this some times to.

The DGS400 shaft is a 124 gram shaft after being cut. I know becasue I play this shaft, its one of my all time favorites. Check the Swing weights, and if you need too slap some lead tape down behing the blade.

check the length of the club. if they are short, they will be and feel lighter. if you bought these used, check to see that the previous owner didn't counter balance them (added weight under the grip).

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]