Early extension (Goat Humping)

Hello GolfWRX Community,

My golf swing has been causing me a lot of wrist pain lately (right wrist, right handed golfer). I don't have arthritis or any other physical ailments.

I'm pretty sure I have a case of early extension which causes me to flip the club at a steep angle, causing the wrist pain.

If anyone has any pointers on how to "cure" this I would appreciate it.

Video:

Regards

GP

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A large reason why you stand up is bc you have way too much forward bend at address and especially at the top of your backswing.

Stand taller, get your arms in sooner and set your wrists earlier.

Hi Ryan,

I took screenshots on an app I have with angles. I've attached them. So it seems my forward bend is around 50*. One of the first google results I found suggested using 25* as a general number (adjustable depending on height and such). So I would guess I've got close around 25* of room to play with.

I will try to make this adjustment.

Thanks!

A large reason why you stand up is bc you have way too much forward bend at address and especially at the top of your backswing.

Agreed 100%. You have a ton of pressure/weight forward which means you have to pull your head backwards on your way to impact thus your pelvis stands up/moves forward/ yada yada. You can see this from 0:06 to 0:09.

Also it's a bad video. You need to take it where the camera's line of sight is through your upper-most rib or at worse the area between your elbow to shoulder. People need to stop doing down the ball's line.

Your takeaway is decent.

You're going to have to learn to get comfortable with your shoulders rotating, specifically your right shoulder lowering towards the ball while the left side of the hips move towards the tush line. Also not pulling on the handle and nor using your arms mostly to hit the ball.

Agreed 100%. You have a ton of pressure/weight forward which means you have to pull your head backwards on your way to impact thus your pelvis stands up/moves forward/ yada yada. You can see this from 0:06 to 0:09.

Also it's a bad video. You need to take it where the camera's line of sight is through your upper-most rib or at worse the area between your elbow to shoulder. People need to stop doing down the ball's line.

I appreciate the feedback.

I see from your example that my camera angle is off. I will be sure to keep this in mind in the future.

Thanks!

Your takeaway is decent.

You're going to have to learn to get comfortable with your shoulders rotating, specifically your right shoulder lowering towards the ball while the left side of the hips move towards the tush line. Also not pulling on the handle and using your arms to hit the ball.

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you know any drills that can help to create this feeling?

Your takeaway is decent.

You're going to have to learn to get comfortable with your shoulders rotating, specifically your right shoulder lowering towards the ball while the left side of the hips move towards the tush line. Also not pulling on the handle and using your arms to hit the ball.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes.

Your takeaway is decent.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes.

https://www.instagra.../p/BinjVCwgc5-/

Appreciate it!

Hello GolfWRX Community,

My golf swing has been causing me a lot of wrist pain lately (right wrist, right handed golfer). I don't have arthritis or any other physical ailments.

I'm pretty sure I have a case of early extension which causes me to flip the club at a steep angle, causing the wrist pain.

Video:

Regards

GP

You're certainly not steep. In fact, your downswing is underneath the impact plane. You're a little laid off and shut at the top, and you're really deep into your right hip. It's a tough position to get out of without a lot of lower body power. With respect to wrist pain, I'd like to see your grip. Something's wrong with the way you're hinging at the top, and your hands are fighting each other.

Too much forward bend and right shoulder dropping too much. You need less forward bend at address and stay in left tilt longer (left shoulder needs to stay down longer).

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Hello GolfWRX Community,

Video:

Regards

GP

You're certainly not steep. In fact, your downswing is underneath the impact plane. You're a little laid off and shut at the top, and you're really deep into your right hip. It's a tough position to get out of without a lot of lower body power. With respect to wrist pain, I'd like to see your grip. Something's wrong with the way you're hinging at the top, and your hands are fighting each other.

Maybe I'm getting my terms mixed up, when I said steep I was referring to the shaft being flatter on the backswing than on the downswing. I've attached images to illustrate what I was talking about.

I'm guessing the "underneath the impact plane" you mentioned can probably be resolved by the shoulder rotation that everyone else has mentioned?

I don't have any pics of my grip otherwise I would attach it. I'll see if I can get a pic later when I get my clubs out again.

I appreciate your feedback!

Backswing Parallel:

Downswing Parallel:

Too much forward bend and right shoulder dropping too much. You need less forward bend at address and stay in left tilt longer (left shoulder needs to stay down longer).

Hi Monte,

I'm happy to hear that you're in agreement with everyone else about the forward bend. You mentioned the right shoulder dropping too much, and then mention the left shoulder needs to stay down longer. Are these one and the same? I interpreted this as a counter balance where if the right shoulder doesn't drop as much, then the left shoulder would also not raise up.

Thanks for the feedback!

GP

Hi Monte,

I'm happy to hear that you're in agreement with everyone else about the forward bend. You mentioned the right shoulder dropping too much, and then mention the left shoulder needs to stay down longer. Are these one and the same? I interpreted this as a counter balance where if the right shoulder doesn't drop as much, then the left shoulder would also not raise up.

Thanks for the feedback!

GP

Yes same thing.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Hi Monte,

Thanks for the feedback!

GP

Here is a good thread to read on left shoulder. http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1608380-lead-shoulder-in-transition/

Couple of instrgram to demonstrate https://www.instagram.com/p/BqYLDStl_fy/ https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs9FLhIlmbU/

Important to not let that lead knee drift too much in toward the trail knee - move it out over the toes. Lead side is lower than trail side at end of backswing -ankles, knees, hip, shoulders - then go downhill from there.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

Hi Monte,

Thanks for the feedback!

GP

Here is a good thread to read on left shoulder. http://www.golfwrx.c...-in-transition/

Couple of instrgram to demonstrate https://www.instagra.../p/BqYLDStl_fy/ https://www.instagra.../p/Bs9FLhIlmbU/

Important to not let that lead knee drift too much in toward the trail knee - move it out over the toes. Lead side is lower than trail side at end of backswing -ankles, knees, hip, shoulders - then go downhill from there.

Ah. This is a good thread with good videos. Appreciate it!

Your takeaway is under plane. Get it steeper and you'll start making changes to accommodate this.

Interesting... I drew a line from the shaft through the butt of the club up through my body and when I watched the backswing the clubhead was just a tad below that. I think once I get myself standing more upright as suggested my swing will naturally become more steep.

Thanks for the feedback!

hard to tell from the video but for me having a square to slightly closed clubface at p6 allowed me to continue turning through the shot and not need to feel the last minute flip with the hands that often cause me to stand up prior impact. i just felt my left forearm begin to rotate a little sooner after the transition.

if you pause the video right before impact you can see your left wrist is into ulnar deviation. check out tour striker impact strap or at least the videos on what it intends to teach.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Your takeaway is under plane. Get it steeper and you'll start making changes to accommodate this.

Interesting... I drew a line from the shaft through the butt of the club up through my body and when I watched the backswing the clubhead was just a tad below that. I think once I get myself standing more upright as suggested my swing will naturally become more steep.

Thanks for the feedback!

You just want the takeaway steeper, this should promote a shallower downswing. It's a loop, if you start steep, you end up shallow, if you start shallow you end up steep

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Hello All,

I was able to take a few swings at Golf Galaxy yesterday and as suggested, I tried standing more upright. It felt awkward, like I was setting up to do a barbell squat but I experienced very little wrist pain that eventually subsided as I continued swinging. The contact was pretty pure too for the majority of shots, however it seems I was struggling with a fade (per their simulator, which who knows how accurate that actually is). I'm going to hit the range tonight to get some actual results.

I appreciate everyone's feedback!

You don't want to stand upright, you want the golf shaft to be more upright during the take away

from the down the line view, you want the club head first cross your body at the bicep or higher during your backswing

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

You don't want to stand upright, you want the golf shaft to be more upright during the take away

from the down the line view, you want the club head first cross your body at the bicep or higher during your backswing

Hi BottleCap,

Everyone suggested less forward tilt, which I understand is to stand more upright (more knee flex, less hip bend). I understand the concept you've described of steep up/shallow down and I think it would help my game. But are you suggesting I not reduce forward tilt? I'm not standing upright, when I took another video while putzing around my house, the angle was reduced from 50* (pictured above) to probably 35* - 40*.

regards

i'd like others to comment, but if viewing the setup on the target line behind the golfer, if we draw a line from the back of the shoulder socket am i correct in that it should intersect just forward of the center of feet.

Proper-Golf-Stance-Day.jpg

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

i'd like others to comment, but if viewing the setup on the target line behind the golfer, if we draw a line from the back of the shoulder socket am i correct in that it should intersect just forward of the center of feet.

Proper-Golf-Stance-Day.jpg

This is a good reference, it'll be easier for me to immediately tell if I'm too far forward rather than check a picture/video after the fact.

Thanks for posting it!

In addition to HoosierMizuno's example I also do this - I check pretty often at home in a mirror, practice range, sometimes even when playing (though more the hand test than getting out an alignment stick)

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified