2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Garmin Approach G80

I ordered the device from Amazon a couple weeks ago.

I bought it so I can primarily use it at home. In my garage I have a mat and hit balls into a net. I'm a high handicapper (25) so I wanted something that would give me some kind of feedback as I practice. So far, I have been very pleased with it. It giving me carry distance, ball speed, and tempo is just enough data for me at this time. If I want more comprehensive data then I know i'd have to buy something like a SkyTrak. At this price point, this device is perfect for me.

I've been trying it out at my local range to see if the distances are correct and they have been. At the range, I hit off a golf mat as well. Having the device has made my range experience a lot more enjoyable with the instant feedback I get. It's helped me dial in my distances for my wedges. Also, using the tempo trainer mode has definitely helped me with my tempo.

I tried the GPS feature for a couple rounds and it also works pretty good. This isn't really why I purchased it so it's just a bonus for me to have this feature.

All in all I'd say it's been worth it.

Im very interested in purchasing one of these. I love gadgets but have held off on the inexpensive launch monitors since I have pretty easy access to a trackman. the combo function and ability to use as a warm up tool has me intrigued with this though. Does it have built in practice modes like trackman combine?

Went out to the range for some G80 testing, set it at the “Warm Up” and hit a small bucket. I found that you need to be at least 12” away from the unit for it to work properly and almost straight it line with it otherwise mine was getting “No” or “Blank” readings today, especially with the woods and it hates my driver, some of my best drives didn’t record, started to get frustrated then swinging stupid and decided to quit … gadgets!!!

I mentioned this previously, the G80 doesn't know which club your using, hope I got these right, when your retired you start to forget stuff. A few pic’s ....

For those inquiring I'll test the "Virtual Round" next time and take a few more pic's.

David

Desert Princess G&CC Range.

daT8pNW.jpg

Started with P/W.

KRGVM3k.jpg

Next = 9i

rykDQVx.jpg

Next = 8i

JQJgbSp.jpg

Next = 7i

Lh6n69m.jpg

Next = 6i

eEpozId.jpg

Next = 5i

6aCYpET.jpg

Next = 3 Hybrid

ML9hvdo.jpg

Next = 3 wood

uODEBtG.jpg

Then this started with my Driver it happened more than a few times:

q6pOkzC.jpg

w19iYvP.jpg

Finally got it to read a decent driver but not my best today.

XwNv4LE.jpg

That was enough!

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

Finally feel good enough to review unit, have had it for over a week now, but strained a back muscle so swinging still hurts a bit. The unit is the perfect size, really like the concept. I was able to book a trackman to compare the unit. The ball speed is the only measurement that really matches those of the trackman, I think due to altitude, the rest were a bit off here and there. Swing speeds were off significantly on some swings, which was odd. Without the ability to account for altitude as I'm in Denver, I know some of these distances are a bit short of my regular on course distances. In the end, I think it is a good unit, but for me, without altitude adjustments, the distances were about 1/2 to a club short. So I will be returning my unit. In general, for the pricing, it's not too bad of a variance from a Trackman, I think if there was altitude adjustment, it would be right on par with the Trackman.

See pictures below for comparisons.

PW

G80 --

TM --

G80 --

TM --

7iron

G80 --

TM --

T80 --

TM --

5wood

G80 --

TM --

G80 --

TM --

Driver

G80 --

TM --

G80 --

TM --

Titleist TS2 10.5° - Even Flow T1100 White 65 Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 60 Reg
Callaway Rogue 5 wood - Aldila Synergy 60 Reg
Mizuno JPX900f 4-PW - KBS C-Taper LITE X
Titleist Vokey SM 7 50, 54, 58
2018 Scotty Cameron Newport Select

Feb 23rd ….. went to the range today and started with the “Warm Up” mode, was hitting the ball much better, the G80 was picking up almost every shot including my driver. After warming up I tried out the “Virtual Round” mode, pressed the course search and the Desert Princess courses came up then the Cimarron Courses and there was Tahquitz and Escena, press the Escena Championship (Gold = Blues) and started my round.

Cut, Copy & Paste from the manual to give you an understanding how it works.

Virtual Round - Simulates playing a round of golf on any of the 41,000 preloaded courses. You can compete against your personal best, compete against another player, or participate in a virtual tournament.

Playing a Virtual Course

1. From the home screen, select Virtual Round > Course.
  2. Select the number of players.
  3. Select an option:
    • Select Search Near You to find a course near your current location.
    • Select Spell City to find a course in a specific city.
    • Select Spell Course to find a course by name.

• Select a tee box for each player.
  • Take a shot.
    The device displays your shot distance, where you are on the course, and how far you have left to get on the green.

Hole View - The device shows the current hole you are virtually playing.

I3g5cog.jpg

1. Displays the current hole number.

2. Displays the distance to the middle of the green.

3. Displays the par for the current hole.

4. Displays the current location and last shot distance for player 2.

5. Displays the current location and last shot distance for player 1.

6. Displays a map of the hole.

7. Displays a menu of virtual round settings and allows you to end the round when selected.

Virtual Round Scoring - During a virtual round, the device calculates your score using a method similar to stroke play. Each shot you take counts as one stroke. Hitting the ball into the water adds a penalty stroke. Because there is no putting in a virtual round, additional strokes are added based on how accurate you are with your approach shot. You can receive 0 to 3 additional strokes depending on how close your approach shot is to the tee.

Loaded a bunch of pic’s to complete the story.

D.

Escena Hole #1 – 563 Yd Par 5 – Hit 3 wood 241 yds & 321 yds to pin.

vRcQgg3.jpg

Hit my second shot - 3 wood 251 yds & 70 yds to pin.

UgiSBh3.jpg

Hit a wedge 74 yds stuck it close within the first ring.

LEogI9Q.jpg

AZ2gB8a.jpg

You don’t use a putter the system gave me a Birdie -1 to start.

VxDdrlv.jpg

System automatically takes you to the next hole - deleted Hole #2 went to # 3.

Next – Hole 3 - 163 yd Par 3 – hit a 8 iron.

fLlxG32.jpg

WlNF9Us.jpg

Bad swing came up Short

irgneDT.jpg

141 yds out plus 3 rings 22 yds to go

WAmKTiv.jpg

wDXaKw3.jpg

System gave me a Bogie back to even.

h4XJs3w.jpg

Next Hole #5 a 200 yd Par 3 - hit solid 4 iron

CND014l.jpg

On the green & stuck it close – 1st ring 5 yds/15 ft to pin.

RYabQ4h.jpg

EeiBnsD.jpg

szEXE41.jpg

System gave me 2 putts - still even

UvfQEO0.jpg

I trust you get the idea on how the Virtual Round works now, it’s a fun way to practice vs hitting the same club a number of times then the next club etc.

I then went back to the “Warm Up” mode and made a few minor adjustments on my grip, widened my stance and lowered my ball on the T and started seeing more improvements in my numbers and my ball flight matched what I was seeing. My Driver S/S, Ball speed, Smash & Tempo all were better & that’s what I was hoping for when I bought the G80.

68Ap6c4.jpg

Cheers

David

• Like 2

Ping DLX Cart Bag

So you don't have to tell it which club you are using like the SC200?

Paradym 10.5 w/Graphite Design ADHD 5S

Paradym 3WHL w/ Tensei Blue 6S

Paradym 7W w/ Tensei Blue 6S

Ping 425 4H w/Tensei Orange 80HYS at 23°

Yonex Ezone CB 301 5-PW w/ Nippon Modus TOUR125S

Mizuno Copper T22 50S, 54D, 58X w/ Project X LZ 6.0

LAB Golf B.2

So you don't have to tell it which club you are using like the SC200?

No ... the G80 standard features/modes don't ask you what club you hit.

That said it has a optional TruSwing mode but you need to buy the optional device that clips to your club shaft they sell them on E-Bay for $150.00 or less and then you need to upgrade the systems software.

YouTube Video on how it works ...

a3zwm5T.jpg

TruSwing™

The TruSwing feature allows you to view swing metrics recorded from your TruSwing device. Go to www.garmin.com/golf to purchase a TruSwing device.

You can view swing metrics on your Approach® device and in your Garmin Connect™ account. See the owner's manual for your TruSwing device for more information.

Before you can view TruSwing metrics on your Approach G80 device, you may need to update the software.

1. Verify your TruSwing device is securely mounted to your club.
    See the owner's manual for your TruSwing device for more information.
  2. Hit a shot.

Your Approach G80 device displays swing measurements after each swing.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Finally feel good enough to review unit, have had it for over a week now, but strained a back muscle so swinging still hurts a bit. The unit is the perfect size, really like the concept. I was able to book a trackman to compare the unit. The ball speed is the only measurement that really matches those of the trackman, I think due to altitude, the rest were a bit off here and there. Swing speeds were off significantly on some swings, which was odd. Without the ability to account for altitude as I'm in Denver, I know some of these distances are a bit short of my regular on course distances. In the end, I think it is a good unit, but for me, without altitude adjustments, the distances were about 1/2 to a club short. So I will be returning my unit. In general, for the pricing, it's not too bad of a variance from a Trackman, I think if there was altitude adjustment, it would be right on par with the Trackman.

See pictures below for comparisons.

PW

G80 --

TM --

G80 --

TM --

7iron

G80 --

TM --

T80 --

TM --

5wood

G80 --

TM --

G80 --

TM --

Driver

G80 --

TM --

G80 --

TM --

I dont think altitude has anything to do with it. I mean I could be wrong here but altitude is affecting the actual ball and its flight for total distance and the unit is not seeing the entire ball flight and where it lands. No? Its just making calculations based on what it read from your swing. Id keep it and try again. Maybe inside and see what happens.

I dont think altitude has anything to do with it. I mean I could be wrong here but altitude is affecting the actual ball and its flight for total distance and the unit is not seeing the entire ball flight and where it lands. No? Its just making calculations based on what it read from your swing. Id keep it and try again. Maybe inside and see what happens.

These results were inside. My assumption is the same, it takes flight characteristics from 1st couple of yards and calculate cary and roll, but the calculation takes raw numbers and calculate distance based on sea level and does not account for altitude increased distance due to air density. Maybe those 1st few yards is enough to account for air density, maybe a scientist would know.

Anyways I was out yesterday on a range with just the unit, numbers were more accurate the shorter the shot, -2-3 yards to marker on shots less than 80 yards. on shots 80-140 -5yards and on anything above that it was short about 10 yards hard to know for sure based on far the target was.

Titleist TS2 10.5° - Even Flow T1100 White 65 Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 60 Reg
Callaway Rogue 5 wood - Aldila Synergy 60 Reg
Mizuno JPX900f 4-PW - KBS C-Taper LITE X
Titleist Vokey SM 7 50, 54, 58
2018 Scotty Cameron Newport Select

Maybe those 1st few yards is enough to account for air density, maybe a scientist would know.

No. The only way it could do it automatically is to use the GPS to get altitude/elevation. But I suspect the two sets of functionality are decoupled and I wouldn't expect it to do that automatically.

• 2 weeks later...

March 12th, was out on the range this afternoon, nice sunny day with no wind, 22C or 72F, using the "Warm UP" mode, after 1/2 bucket the G80 stopped working, error message said something about the radar stopped working due to exceeding the operating temperature range ... WTF ????

Wish I had my camera to take a pic to post here, shut the unit off and put it in the shade for 5 minutes turned it back on & it worked fine. Made a few minor adjustments to my grip & widened my stance, since I purchased my unit I gained 4 mph with my driver, up to 102 S/S today, finished my range session feeling good but still needs more work.

Did a search in the manual it says the std operating temp must be between -20º to +60ºC or from -4º to 140ºF ... this hasn't happened before, hope it's only the desert sun & nothing serious.

Still liking my G80.

David

Ping DLX Cart Bag

March 12th, was out on the range this afternoon, nice sunny day with no wind, 22C or 72F, using the "Warm UP" mode, after 1/2 bucket the G80 stopped working, error message said something about the radar stopped working due to exceeding the operating temperature range ... WTF ????

Wish I had my camera to take a pic to post here, shut the unit off and put it in the shade for 5 minutes turned it back on & it worked fine. Made a few minor adjustments to my grip & widened my stance, since I purchased my unit I gained 4 mph with my driver, up to 102 S/S today, finished my range session feeling good but still needs more work.

Did a search in the manual it says the std operating temp must be between -20º to +60ºC or from -4º to 140ºF ... this hasn't happened before, hope it's only the desert sun & nothing serious.

Still liking my G80.

David

Not actually that uncommon for similar things to happen to tablet's and pads that sit out in the direct sunlight when they are being used with TM or Flightscope or other LM's. Many electronics do not like being out in direct sunlight - although usually it does need to be warmer than the 72* you were in. But the internal temp of the unit will get higher than the ambient air temp.

Tks Stuart for the info, will update if it happens again, forecast for the next week is temps up to 84F .... love it!

D.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

I just received the G80 in mail today. I sold my G8, albeit reluctantly. Here are a few observations after powering it on end playing with it.

1. The brightness on display is very poor. Even turned up all the way it is dark. Comparing it to my G8, I felt the G8 was brighter and had better contrast. The G80 appears washed out. Colors are dull and screen is dark.

2. Pleasantly, the gps on green finder is much more responsive. Much faster. My fingers moves the flag way faster than G8

3. Lack of physical buttons on screen means I have to push 2 buttons to enter a score. G8 has a dedicated score button, push it once and you are entering a score. Im hoping this doesn’t get annoying

4. G80 is very light. Super lightweight especially compared up G8. G8 felt more substantial in my hands

5. I was hoping the screen resolution would be sharper but it does not appear to be any better, at least on my naked eye.

Of course these are initial out of the box opinions. I’ll report back once I take it to the course.

I think the 'virtual round' function for outdoor range sessions is actually the most intriguing feature if it's done reasonably well.

Used that feature today at the range. perfect for practice, numbers seemed to be around what I hit.

Does it “project” the shot onto the screen when you play a virtual round. So you can “see” where your ball landed?

I think the 'virtual round' function for outdoor range sessions is actually the most intriguing feature if it's done reasonably well.

Used that feature today at the range. perfect for practice, numbers seemed to be around what I hit.

Does it “project” the shot onto the screen when you play a virtual round. So you can “see” where your ball landed?

It does, see my post #41 first hole at Escena .... the ball is the red dot at 241 yds off the T.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

It does, see my post #41 first hole at Escena .... the ball is the red dot at 241 yds off the T.

Cool. Thanks,I’ll go back and look.

D.S. ..... the elevation at my home course is approx. 3100 ft, here at the Desert Princess practice range in Cathedral City it's approx. 400 ft above sea level. I notice my range balls end up close or bit short of the pins, they have at 130, 150, 175 & 200 yds out. I can't wait to get the G80 out for a walk on my home course when I get back in mid-April and test it against actual shots. Regardless, the G80 has helped me fine tune my swing and with the minor adjustments I've been hitting the ball better and as a result increased my S/S a bit.

I'm off to the range to practice a bit, bringing the camera & will take a few pic's. It's 80F/26C, we'll see it it over heats and sends an error message.

D.

• Like 1

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Feb 16th, it was 81F/27C, after 20 or so balls it happened again, unit shut down, this was the error message, covered it up with my damp towel turned it back on worked fine, after covered it up again while I took a break/water, no further issues.

IwY9QSQ.jpg

Decided to try the “Target Practice” option, you can choose a yardage in my example 150 yds about the same as a white flag on the range, the idea is to see it you can consistently hit to that distance and the system gives/takes away points, you get 5 shots and then it calculates your score. It was a bit difficult to hit balls and try to take a pic of the screen before it moves to the next screen, this will give you a general idea of how it works. I liked this option, you get something out of your practice and start to try to score vs just hitting 5 balls with an iron. You can also play against someone or your double, too.

KYGG8zt.jpg

DXkUrGk.jpg

Yq1xvhu.jpg

0aFJlOt.jpg

yo1W1ZU.jpg

dH276Cm.jpg

8yJwyjG.jpg

Next I spent a bit of time working on my Tempo. ….. haven’t quite figured out what to do here to improve my numbers, target is 3.0 mine needs work. Any suggestions ???

vzu6rWl.jpg

COm5oBG.jpg

YQJwsET.jpg

Hope you get something from the pic's.

Cheers

David

• Like 2