Mizuno 919 JPX HM Pro Initial review

tbonetw

Hi all,

I posted this in the pre-release thread, but I thought some of you might be interested as there is starting to be a buzz about these. I managed to get an early set site unseen and happened to be playing 4 rounds in 3 days with 31 other guys on a really great golf course in the middle of nowhere. The weather was miserable. But I did get 4 relatively competitive rounds in (Ryder Cup type event) and wanted to help anyone considering these.

So I played 4 rounds. Unfortunately in 32-40 degree weather in a myriad of cruddy conditions. However, I'll give my initial impressions.

First I didn't buy the GW as it is a standard Hot metal. And frankly I prefer my Vokey gap wedge so I wouldn't use it anyway. A 4-Pw set is $875.

I bought them with the stock C Taper Lite stiff shafts. When I did the Swing DNA thing last year it was one of the shafts I tried and I liked it when I was testing the JPX Forged.

One thing I like that Mizuno is doing is putting the MCC on standard as that's what I use so it saved me $80.00 in grips.

I haven't been on a launch monitor as I didn't even get a chance to hit them before I bought them. I got a chance to see them early and I just really like the way they look. I figured if I don't like them I can always use the policy that allows you to return them for a different set. And because it was so cold I really don't know about distance with any detail. It was freezing and I had 3 layers on so I hit a lot of 3/4 shots. I'll have to get on a launch monitor to see what distance gains I might have so I won't really comment on distance except to say that even in those conditions I didn't see a drastic drop off in distance from my current gamers in good weather so I suspect they will be longer than my TMBs.

I like my TMBs. I hit them well and I've played some solid golf with them. Essentially there are only a couple of things I don't like about them which is why I've been looking at new products. First is the feel/sound. They definitely have a louder sound and a more firm feel than most clubs I've owned . I've historically been an MP player. The TMBs are really loud on marginal strikes. That's when you hear the hollow clanky sound from them. Second is I still think they have some work to do on the COG. If I could give Titleist feedback it would be to get the COG higher in the shorter clubs. I hit my 7-PW very high and I'm not a high ball hitter. I'm a mid-flight player and that's what I prefer. I had 716 TMBs originally so I've been playing the T-MB full set for a long time. I've just tolerated the high ball flight in the shorter irons because as I said I've played some good golf with them. Last, while they are forgiving for their size I definitely was looking for a little more forgiveness and something that 'looks' more forgiving as I only play about once a week now and I rarely practice.

Appearance:

I really love the way they look which is why I bought them. Very modern and sleek. Similar to the Forged, but it looks like they may have slightly less offset than the Forged. I prefer very little offset. As for the overall design I find the size to look similar to the I210. Slightly longer blade length in the 4 and 5 irons. They were exactly what I was looking for. I was also looking at the i210, the i500 and the new Apex. My 2 favorites from an appearance point of view were the i210 and now the HM Pro. The Apex has too much offset (or they do a bad job of hiding it). The i500 is nice, but looks like an iblade to me at address and again I was looking for something slightly more forgiving looking. So to me the i210 and the HM Pro are very similar at address. Some people mentioned that on the 4 and 5 iron you can see a little of the back of the club at address. While that is true in my living room on wood floors I never noticed it on the golf course playing off grass.

Feel:

This was the biggest surprise. I wasn't sure what to expect. I hit the Hot metals one time. The regular ones as a buddy bought a set. But literally I hit 2 balls. I've hit the Forged quite a bit as I considered buying them. Obviously none of these feel like an MP and at this point I'm okay with that. I will sacrifice some feel for performance. To a point. For a cast club the i210 feels about as good as anything I've hit. I find these to be similarly solid, yet soft. They say they put some kind of sound ribs(I have no idea what that means) to hit specific vibration patterns(again, no idea). However I think they feel great so whatever Mizuno actually did, they did a really good job at making these have a really nice feel. Again I was playing in just miserable weather. I was using a Pro V1X. The sound is just really solid and powerful. Not sharp at all. They don't feel or sound like the Ping. But they both felt very solid to me and certainly on the soft side for a cast club. The HM Pro feels much better than I expected so from that point of view I'm ecstatic. That's basically a bonus.

Performance:

Just like with the feel/sound I had no idea what to expect. They're Mizunos so I knew they'd be good clubs. But I had no idea how they'd perform. Particularly ball flight which is near the top of my list for reasons to buy new clubs. As I mentioned I have no idea how far I will inevitably hit these, but I anticipate hitting them 6 or 7 yards farther than my TMBs given the lofts in the long and mid irons. I hit a fairly straight ball so I'm rarely trying to move the ball a lot. If I do I'm typically hitting a little cut. I had no issue moving the ball the way I prefer. There are a few holes on this course (Pine Dunes in Frankston, Tx. The middle of nowhere, but a great golf course) where you can drive the ball on the wrong side of the fairway and depending on the pin get stuck behind big tall trees and be forced to move the ball substantially to hit the green, much less get near the hole. On those occasions I was able to move the ball quite a lot which I didn't expect. I can move them substantially more than the T-MBs. My opinion is that the HM Pro spins more. Which is a good thing. Something I didn't mention is the TMBs don't spin enough. They stop because of the height. The HM Pro definitely has more spin, but not too much which brings me to ball flight. I find the new 'player's distance' irons don't spin enough. I was really happy to see that my standard ball flight was a strong mid trajectory. And I could easily knock them down when needed. Frankly the versatility with the ballflight is exactly what I was looking for and my biggest question with them before I hit them. Particularly with the short irons. The 4 iron is going to kick my Callaway UT out of the bag. It is an awesome tool. It feels as forgiving as the Callaway and again I was able to flight is much more easily. As for stopping, I had no issue stopping the ball. They did exactly what I want them to do. One hop and stop. Also, the distance control is outstanding. I never had one get away from me. The distance was very predictable. I had a number of 115-120 yard punch/knockdown pitching wedges I hit for example and the ball consistently went exactly the distance I expected. Additionally given that we played the same course 4 straight rounds in the same conditions I had basically a lot of the same distances round to round and the clubs consistently produced the same result.

Overall:

So far I'm really pleased and looking forward to hitting them indoors with a launch monitor as well as in good weather on my home course. At this point they've checked every box that needed to be checked to get me to put the TMB away and potentially sell them. They look great, they feel great, and the performance is just fantastic. I'm not sure exactly why Mizuno felt the need to add this set to the mix given they have the Forged, but I'm glad they did. I was told they didn't know if they would initially bring them to the US market which is why most people had no idea they were coming. But basically if you're looking for a powerful, forgiving, great looking players club you should look at them. I would, and did, choose them over the Forged. They're a little more forgiving, they (to me) look slightly better to me at address. AND they're $300 cheaper. Feel wise they aren't better or worse to me. Just different.

After I get some time on a launch monitor this week I'll report back.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for taking the time. ^^^^^ I play the 919F and with the right shaft, they are phenomenal for me. Looking at specs, not much difference in offset between the 919F and HMPro. Was thinking about the HM Pro in a 4i even though the 5i in the Forged are very easy to launch high and I find them very forgiving. Will hit the HM Pro soon.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I’ll get some pics up tonight. Any specific requests? I can do a side by side to my T-MB’s if anyone wants to see them next to that.

And yes I agree on offset. It’s very close. If someone is comparing against the forged basically the deciding factors would likely be if you need a little more distance in a players profile. More forgiving although the forged is pretty forgiving. Then the preference in the feel. And last would be the cost savings if you happen to like them both around the same.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

I’ll get some pics up tonight. Any specific requests? I can do a side by side to my T-MB’s if anyone wants to see them next to that.

And yes I agree on offset. It’s very close. If someone is comparing against the forged basically the deciding factors would likely be if you need a little more distance in a players profile. More forgiving although the forged is pretty forgiving. Then the preference in the feel. And last would be the cost savings if you happen to like them both around the same.

Thanks for the write up! I would be interested in seeing the comparison's sole to sole and top line to top line. Not from eye level but from really close up to see the offset differences and blade length differences. Thanks for this!

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

great thanks. id love topline, sole, and rear comparisons if thats ok - thx!
  • Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

I hit them yesterday at the Great Plains golf expo and they felt great but I didn't see much of a forgiveness difference between them and the 919F.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

Asked this on the other thread so sorry for the repeat. I had heard back of 5 and 6 iron are visible at address. Is that the case?? Thx

From what I saw the 5 is not and the 4 is sligjtly visible....

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

Hi all,

I posted this in the pre-release thread, but I thought some of you might be interested as there is starting to be a buzz about these. I managed to get an early set site unseen and happened to be playing 4 rounds in 3 days with 31 other guys on a really great golf course in the middle of nowhere. The weather was miserable. But I did get 4 relatively competitive rounds in (Ryder Cup type event) and wanted to help anyone considering these.

So I played 4 rounds. Unfortunately in 32-40 degree weather in a myriad of cruddy conditions. However, I'll give my initial impressions.

First I didn't buy the GW as it is a standard Hot metal. And frankly I prefer my Vokey gap wedge so I wouldn't use it anyway. A 4-Pw set is $875.

I bought them with the stock C Taper Lite stiff shafts. When I did the Swing DNA thing last year it was one of the shafts I tried and I liked it when I was testing the JPX Forged.

One thing I like that Mizuno is doing is putting the MCC on standard as that's what I use so it saved me $80.00 in grips.

I haven't been on a launch monitor as I didn't even get a chance to hit them before I bought them. I got a chance to see them early and I just really like the way they look. I figured if I don't like them I can always use the policy that allows you to return them for a different set. And because it was so cold I really don't know about distance with any detail. It was freezing and I had 3 layers on so I hit a lot of 3/4 shots. I'll have to get on a launch monitor to see what distance gains I might have so I won't really comment on distance except to say that even in those conditions I didn't see a drastic drop off in distance from my current gamers in good weather so I suspect they will be longer than my TMBs.

I like my TMBs. I hit them well and I've played some solid golf with them. Essentially there are only a couple of things I don't like about them which is why I've been looking at new products. First is the feel/sound. They definitely have a louder sound and a more firm feel than most clubs I've owned . I've historically been an MP player. The TMBs are really loud on marginal strikes. That's when you hear the hollow clanky sound from them. Second is I still think they have some work to do on the COG. If I could give Titleist feedback it would be to get the COG higher in the shorter clubs. I hit my 7-PW very high and I'm not a high ball hitter. I'm a mid-flight player and that's what I prefer. I had 716 TMBs originally so I've been playing the T-MB full set for a long time. I've just tolerated the high ball flight in the shorter irons because as I said I've played some good golf with them. Last, while they are forgiving for their size I definitely was looking for a little more forgiveness and something that 'looks' more forgiving as I only play about once a week now and I rarely practice.

Appearance:

I really love the way they look which is why I bought them. Very modern and sleek. Similar to the Forged, but it looks like they may have slightly less offset than the Forged. I prefer very little offset. As for the overall design I find the size to look similar to the I210. Slightly longer blade length in the 4 and 5 irons. They were exactly what I was looking for. I was also looking at the i210, the i500 and the new Apex. My 2 favorites from an appearance point of view were the i210 and now the HM Pro. The Apex has too much offset (or they do a bad job of hiding it). The i500 is nice, but looks like an iblade to me at address and again I was looking for something slightly more forgiving looking. So to me the i210 and the HM Pro are very similar at address. Some people mentioned that on the 4 and 5 iron you can see a little of the back of the club at address. While that is true in my living room on wood floors I never noticed it on the golf course playing off grass.

Feel:

This was the biggest surprise. I wasn't sure what to expect. I hit the Hot metals one time. The regular ones as a buddy bought a set. But literally I hit 2 balls. I've hit the Forged quite a bit as I considered buying them. Obviously none of these feel like an MP and at this point I'm okay with that. I will sacrifice some feel for performance. To a point. For a cast club the i210 feels about as good as anything I've hit. I find these to be similarly solid, yet soft. They say they put some kind of sound ribs(I have no idea what that means) to hit specific vibration patterns(again, no idea). However I think they feel great so whatever Mizuno actually did, they did a really good job at making these have a really nice feel. Again I was playing in just miserable weather. I was using a Pro V1X. The sound is just really solid and powerful. Not sharp at all. They don't feel or sound like the Ping. But they both felt very solid to me and certainly on the soft side for a cast club. The HM Pro feels much better than I expected so from that point of view I'm ecstatic. That's basically a bonus.

Performance:

Just like with the feel/sound I had no idea what to expect. They're Mizunos so I knew they'd be good clubs. But I had no idea how they'd perform. Particularly ball flight which is near the top of my list for reasons to buy new clubs. As I mentioned I have no idea how far I will inevitably hit these, but I anticipate hitting them 6 or 7 yards farther than my TMBs given the lofts in the long and mid irons. I hit a fairly straight ball so I'm rarely trying to move the ball a lot. If I do I'm typically hitting a little cut. I had no issue moving the ball the way I prefer. There are a few holes on this course (Pine Dunes in Frankston, Tx. The middle of nowhere, but a great golf course) where you can drive the ball on the wrong side of the fairway and depending on the pin get stuck behind big tall trees and be forced to move the ball substantially to hit the green, much less get near the hole. On those occasions I was able to move the ball quite a lot which I didn't expect. I can move them substantially more than the T-MBs. My opinion is that the HM Pro spins more. Which is a good thing. Something I didn't mention is the TMBs don't spin enough. They stop because of the height. The HM Pro definitely has more spin, but not too much which brings me to ball flight. I find the new 'player's distance' irons don't spin enough. I was really happy to see that my standard ball flight was a strong mid trajectory. And I could easily knock them down when needed. Frankly the versatility with the ballflight is exactly what I was looking for and my biggest question with them before I hit them. Particularly with the short irons. The 4 iron is going to kick my Callaway UT out of the bag. It is an awesome tool. It feels as forgiving as the Callaway and again I was able to flight is much more easily. As for stopping, I had no issue stopping the ball. They did exactly what I want them to do. One hop and stop. Also, the distance control is outstanding. I never had one get away from me. The distance was very predictable. I had a number of 115-120 yard punch/knockdown pitching wedges I hit for example and the ball consistently went exactly the distance I expected. Additionally given that we played the same course 4 straight rounds in the same conditions I had basically a lot of the same distances round to round and the clubs consistently produced the same result.

Overall:

So far I'm really pleased and looking forward to hitting them indoors with a launch monitor as well as in good weather on my home course. At this point they've checked every box that needed to be checked to get me to put the TMB away and potentially sell them. They look great, they feel great, and the performance is just fantastic. I'm not sure exactly why Mizuno felt the need to add this set to the mix given they have the Forged, but I'm glad they did. I was told they didn't know if they would initially bring them to the US market which is why most people had no idea they were coming. But basically if you're looking for a powerful, forgiving, great looking players club you should look at them. I would, and did, choose them over the Forged. They're a little more forgiving, they (to me) look slightly better to me at address. AND they're $300 cheaper. Feel wise they aren't better or worse to me. Just different.

After I get some time on a launch monitor this week I'll report back.

What would you say about the turf interaction on these? I play a 919 hm 4 iron but find it ugly. Might justify the pro purchase if narrower sole cuts through the turf better

Ping G430 Max 10K Tour 2.0 Black 6X

Titleist TS2 16.5 Diamana S+ 80TX

Titleist 818H1 19, 23 Atmos TS Blue 8X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-SW Modus3 120S

Taylormade MyHiToe LW Hi-Rev 2.0 115

Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Triple Wide 

Thanks for the write up OP! I’m going to hit the 4iron with the Modus 105/120 to see how it stacks up to my gamer P790 4iron which is just so easy and forgiving. Then I go 5-9iron 919Forged and a 919T PW. On paper it looks like the one.

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Thanks for the write up! I would be interested in seeing the comparison's sole to sole and top line to top line. Not from eye level but from really close up to see the offset differences and blade length differences. Thanks for this!

https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

Try this link. Gives comparison specs on the different models for head length, top line, sole width, offset. I wish more companies did this, it's pretty great to see.

I recently visited Golf Headquarters in Louisville, KY to try some new irons. I'm getting older and just can't get the distance anymore. I started playing forged irons as a kid and young adult, then switched to cavity-backs. For the past few years I've been playing Titleist AP1s with regular Kuro Kage shafts.

I hit them okay but not great so I decided it was time for something new.

After hitting a few the rep recommended the Taylor Made P790s. I really hit them well. They looked good and gave me a confident feel. They were about 15 yards longer than my AP1s. I was made aware that they were stronger lofted. Even though I was impressed with the P790s I owed it to myself to hit a few others. I tried several before hitting the Hot Metals. I was getting about the same performance from them as I did the P790s, but I didn't care for the oversized head.

I hit the 919 forged version and while it looked better to me and felt nearly the same, they're not lofted as strong so I lost distance. It was then that the rep said that the demos of the new "pro" version hot metals were coming in very soon. The Mizuno rep was there last Saturday so I dropped by and went through a fitting session with him.

After hitting the "Pro" I was was in love. He matched me up with the KBS 90 gram reg steel shaft and told me I needed 2 degrees upright.

These clubs brought me back to the look, size and feel of my old forged clubs with some forgiveness.

I'm sold and ordered them today.

I recently visited Golf Headquarters in Louisville, KY to try some new irons. I'm getting older and just can't get the distance anymore. I started playing forged irons as a kid and young adult, then switched to cavity-backs. For the past few years I've been playing Titleist AP1s with regular Kuro Kage shafts.

After hitting a few the rep recommended the Taylor Made P790s. I really hit them well. They looked good and gave me a confident feel. They were about 15 yards longer than my AP1s. I was made aware that they were stronger lofted. Even though I was impressed with the P790s I owed it to myself to hit a few others. I tried several before hitting the Hot Metals. I was getting about the same performance from them as I did the P790s, but I didn't care for the oversized head.

I hit the 919 forged version and while it looked better to me and felt nearly the same, they're not lofted as strong so I lost distance. It was then that the rep said that the demos of the new "pro" version hot metals were coming in very soon. The Mizuno rep was there last Saturday so I dropped by and went through a fitting session with him.

After hitting the "Pro" I was was in love. He matched me up with the KBS 90 gram reg steel shaft and told me I needed 2 degrees upright.

These clubs brought me back to the look, size and feel of my old forged clubs with some forgiveness.

Tony and his crew at Golf Headquarters are great to work with. I've never felt like they pushed a specific product. Only what works for you.

Titleist TSi2 9 - Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TSi2 16.5 - Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSi2 21 - Ventus Red 8x
Titleist T200 / T100 - KBS Tour X

Vokey SM8 Raw 50F, 56D, 60M - s400
SC Newport 2 SS / Pro Platinum Mid-Slant

Can I ask you to compare the forgiveness of the HM Pros to your AP1s? Thanks.

I'm curious as to how these might be blended with the 919 Forged and/or 919 Tour.

I'm going to replace my irons this year and I'm basically looking to primarily get as much distance as I can out of my 4-6 irons, while keeping the precision I have with my current irons from 7 on down. The other caveat is that I don't want a jarring transition from one iron to the next.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Had a chance to hit these and compare to my 919F (well, just the 7-iron anyway). They felt great, but I was getting essentially the exact same results in both distance, ball speed, and backspin: 182yds-ish, roughly 123MPH, and 7500RPM or so. Launch angle was about 1° different, but not enough to make me take notice. Was afraid I'd like them more, but the 919F set isn't going anywhere soon. Nice club still, and probably will be ridiculously popular.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg