who has actually played with a legit scratch golfer/pro level player?

NM44

Basic, all those players you played with that played/won those events that are now 60 and older, do they still have the PASSION for the game? They have played, and won, at the highest level. Are they out there because they want to be, or "someone told them" to be out there? I tend to think Arnie was the former and Jack "tends" towards the later.

I ask because this months (February 2019) Undercover Pro in Golf Digest says that he (assuming) lost his passion for the game long ago and it's just a job. When he retires, he will never pick up a club again. I understand this but still think it's sad, because I see some of it in my own endeavors, both golf and other things.

Have been extremely fortunate to have played with all four major champion winners, US and British am champion, Walker Cuppers and regular and senior tour winners. They all are so much better than most everyone thinks. Even in their sixties and seventies they can still really play.

��������

Yes indeed. Tom Watson damn near WON The Open Championship at 59 years old!!!!

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Played golf with Shawn Stefani ( on/off tour ) for years at Eagle Pointe in Mount Belview Tx. Really a good guy and works hard on his game. Has had the same swing forever and flushes his irons.

I love Eagle Pointe. If you aren't hitting your tee shots straight, you're screwed. Also cheer for Shawn every tournament, fellow Lamar Graduate! Peck Em' Cards!

In high school the top player on the golf team was a guy who went on to play D1 golf and compete in US amateur match play rounds. I got to play a few practice rounds with him because for whatever reason he wanted to hang around the smokers.

He was so far beyond everyone else on the team it was ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

Basic, all those players you played with that played/won those events that are now 60 and older, do they still have the PASSION for the game? They have played, and won, at the highest level. Are they out there because they want to be, or "someone told them" to be out there? I tend to think Arnie was the former and Jack "tends" towards the later.

I ask because this months (February 2019) Undercover Pro in Golf Digest says that he (assuming) lost his passion for the game long ago and it's just a job. When he retires, he will never pick up a club again. I understand this but still think it's sad, because I see some of it in my own endeavors, both golf and other things.

Sorry it took so long to reply. Some do still have passion and some don't because they can't play to the same high standard they are used to. I'm really having a hard time accepting 12 bogeys and 6 pars as my standard now. Even tho I'm 77 it is hard to accept.

My best friend who was the most successful on tour still plays 5 times a week.

Legit scratch and Pro level are 2 very different things. I am a legit scratch, have a few under par rounds this year on a 75/140 course and 7-8 other 72's.

Amen! I play a bit with a couple of guys in my age group who are legit scratch players. However, a couple of weeks back I was paired for a tournament with two young guys who are significantly better. One is 23, just graduated from Virginia Tech, and is playing off +4. The other is just 17, playing off +3, and is coming off a top 10 finish at the Virginia Open. The younger gent had a rough day, shot 74 or 75. On the other hand, the older guy shot a smooth and easy 66. (72.0/135) Both great young men, both fine players, fun to watch real golf being played. And neither one is anywhere near tour pro level, at least right now.

Virginia State Open has a quality history in terms of who's competed and won the event. People not familiar with it would be surprised if they reviewed the history.

I've played with Tom McKnight a few times although, not since I was a kid. I've played with Lanto Griffin probably a dozen times over the years.

The chasm between scratch and Tour level is about as wide as the chasm between a 20 handicap and scratch.

Seems the OP is asking mostly about driving distance.

The ex-pros and better Am's I've played with can all hit the ball pretty far. The big difference off the tee is that they play a shot.

Occassionally a hole will suit their eye and they'll really go after cutting a corner or carrying a sand trap and it is impressive.

Pros and top Am's play less than driver off the tee more than a mid cap player. They are hitting spots, not standing on each tee looking at it as an opportunity to out drive the rest of the foursome.

• 2 weeks later...

PGA/LPGA-Morgan Pressel, Lexi Thomas, Bud Cauley, Hunter Hamrick, Justin Thomas.

Pro Athlete outside of Golf-Zach Grienke, Aaron Hicks

Zach Grienke and Aaron Hicks could play on the PGA tour right now

Ping G400 LST 9.5 w/ Rogue 125 TX
Ping G30 13 w/ Tour AD-DI 8x
Ping S55 (3-P) w/ Tour Issue DG x100 +.5
Ping Tour Gorge 52/56/60 w/ DG TI S400
Scotty 009/ Scotty FB+ Circle T
Titleist Pro V1x

PGA/LPGA-Morgan Pressel, Lexi Thomas, Bud Cauley, Hunter Hamrick, Justin Thomas.

That's a cool list of PGA/LPGA players. I'm surprised by your last comment though, considering the talent you've played with.

I gotta say, they're both good players but, no, they could not.

Aaron Hicks

aaronhicks.png

Zack Greinke (impressive list of clubs to play though).

greinke.png

Actual PGA Tour player Paul Casey

paul-casey.png

Played with a few guys who were scholarship players at D1 programs, a couple guys who were able to make some money playing on the mini tours and a couple high level club pros. I’ve been between a scratch and a 5 handicap for a long time now and those guys were all on a different level. Made the game look effortless and very humbling.

To play with someone like this on happenstance is rare. As one post indicated, most of these guys are playing money games. My best, years and years ago was 9 under Par taking my 10 best out of the last 20. I got down to scratch. I do not pound the ball but keep it in play and I have a fairly good short game.

I have played with and followed guys that have played on tour and were club pros. They make my game look sick

Callaway XR 9.5 degree
Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
[url="Seemore%20Putter"]WITB Link[/url]
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron

I’ve played a few rounds and some range sessions with division 1 turned mini tour/aspiring pga tour pros. Playing with and watching talented golfers isn’t that different to me (if you are watching close enough) it’s awesome to witness how pure they strike it consistently especially when playing with them. They really do make it look easy and my goodness it is not easy. I’m a single digit handicap - got a few compliments when playing with these guys. That’s always promising. Minimize mistakes and play smart

I wonder if this it how people feel when they play with me? HAHAHAHAH

Driver: Ping G410 LST 8.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Whiteboard 60X
3w: Ping G400 Tour XStiff
Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
2i: Mizuno MP-20 Steelfiber
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-20 AMT X100
50*, 55*, 60*: Mizuno T20 TT Dynamic Gold Tour S400
Putter: Toulon Design Stroke Lab Le Mans

I have a friend who was a scratch golfer. He and his wife had a baby and he took a lot of time off golf and didn't pick up a club for nearly 2 years. He finally came back out to play and shot a 2 over on a very difficult course. As he continued to play, his scores were up and down as to expect. He would shoot an even round on week and shoot a 5 over the next. So far, he's at a -1.6 after just 3 months back, but has played to a +2 in the past.

A long time ago, a single joined our group and he was just ripping it. Got to talk to him and asked what he does and he said that was on the Web.com tour. He shot a -3 that day.

Played with scratch and played with a +5 pga club pro that has won mini tour purses of about 200k.

The +5 had the ability to go long and high with a driver. Came in handy for carrying par 4 greens. Neither player ever really gave me that feeling that they were amazingly good. The +5 still made bogeys, even a double. The difference is that he would birdie every par 5 and a few par 4's. In my mind I expect a good birdie opp on every par 5, the par 4's are 1 per round. Neither player would card a triple or higher. I might have 1-2 per 18 and that's why Im a 6!!! Haha

I used to be a good standard, and got the chance to play with some great players.

For me, when I was at my best the difference with the very top players was all in the short game. While I was good and if I missed a green I would maybe get up and down 7 out of 10 - they were all generally 9 out of 10. Now the reason for that was because they missed in the right areas; there short game was probably not much better than mine - but they knew where to miss; I was always too aggressive!

That was the difference for me, they didn't hit it much past me or hit any more greens. What they did do was always make a score at every hole, by giving themselves the best chance to do so.

One of the guys I play with runs between a +2 and +0.5. He’s not long (actually he’s short) and he only plays once or twice a week. However, he’s rarely in a bad spot and when he is in a bad spot the damage is minimized. If he’s ballstriking is on then he can expect maybe 7 or 8 birdie putts inside 30’. Maybe he makes a few and shoots 69... at worst he’s looking at something around even par.

Maybe that’ll be me one day ;)

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

That's a cool list of PGA/LPGA players. I'm surprised by your last comment though, considering the talent you've played with.

I gotta say, they're both good players but, no, they could not.

Aaron Hicks

aaronhicks.png

Zack Greinke (impressive list of clubs to play though).

greinke.png

Actual PGA Tour player Paul Casey

paul-casey.png

Good post. The Whisper Rock guys seem to be pretty good about posting scores and keeping a cap. No idea why, maybe its required to be a member or maybe its required to play in the Club Championship. Anyways, Phil, Rahm, Casey, Ogilvy, Kaymer all keep handicaps.....

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

In answer to your question, I have Played wirh all that you asked about, for a long time and on a routine basis. I myself Played at +2.8, my best was +3.5 and I was at Plus for 17 of 20 years from 1992-2012. The ironic thing is that I was never a “scratch” as I went from 1.2~ to Plus and never looked back until football injuries caught up to me though I came back from the surgeries(4) to get to Plus again both times. It was a fun run, lol.

If you’re asking about pure distance, the longest that I Played with were World Long Drive Champions Evan “Big Cat” Williams, Jason Zubak and from the Tour, Lon Hinkle, who I believe is the only PGA Pro to have won the World Long Drive Title(in the early 80’s). Also in the long ball group would be John Daly and surprisingly to some, though he took third in the World Long Drive, Payne Stewart. He wasn’t at JD’s or Lon’s level, but he could send it deep.

One that I forgot about because he was older when I first Played with him(64yo) through his mid-80’s, and that is Sam Snead, as when we first started Playing together, he could send it 280+ is his mid 60’s and I was in his group when, at the age of 85yo, he shot a 78 at The Old White Course at White Sulfer Springs, WVa. His Bro and my Teacher for 32+ years, Pete, was also in the group.

The longest woman would be hands down, Michelle Wie. When she wants to, she has a fifth gear and sends it 300+ no problems. It’s an awesome sight to see, and she’s easy on the eyes, lol.

Stay well NM👊

RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I use to play with a few Pepsi tour and D1 college players quite a bit....we started playing with them when they were in high school and they got to a decent level thru school....

Still play with them once in a while but none made it past local professional and some Canadian tour stuff........one of em just won Asia tour event last year

They all shooting 63-68....par is bad day for them at my local track.....but yeah we had our group of about 10 and rarely played with randoms....3 or 4 of us are late 40's to 50's and we can hang in ok...69 being my lowest, 74 or so avg (not lately)

I got alot better faster tho I believe than if I hadn't have played wit em so much....but nowhere near them, lol

They all moved away now so now it's just us old farts, when they come back into town well play with em.....but for like 3 or 4 yrs it was 3 or 4 times a week.....