Fred Couples’ New Driver

I was at the tourney yesterday and followed Fred the whole day. He was hitting an m3 with a tensei pro blue. He had seemingly no clue what the shaft was. He called a guy over to ask him about it on the putting green and was saying he loved the shaft but had no clue what it was. He was killing the driver all day though except. 30 yards past Toledo and inman

Did you get a chance to look at the model of his Titleist wedge or his hybrids??

The "SLDR is so hard to hit" trope has to be one of my favorite WRXisms. Here we have people blaming a 430cc driver head for snap hooks like it's a 1989 laminated head with a whippy senior graphite shaft in it. Just fantastic stuff.

Well of course, its all relative. I will say that on the site that cannot be linked, the sldr has the most forward cg, and lowest MOI of any club they've measured, and that spans the previous 4-5 years. So I don't think its hyperbole to call it the most unforgiving modern driver. But yeah sure, compared to drivers of the past its not crazy. It's a super niche club that should fit only a tiny segment of the golfing population, but the hype made everyone want to play it.

Enjoyed your posts in this thread..

Are you saying the Tour issue 430 is more fade biased than the Retail 430?

Thanks for your help.

PLEASE NOTE: THERE IS NO NEED TO QUOTE A LONG POST JUST TO ASK A QUESTION

However, In answer to the question you posed above, No, not at all ...In fact, as stated in the earlier post, the SLDR 430 Tour was 'draw biased', but to a much lesser extent than the Retail SLDR Drivers. I found the Retail version much more prone to 'ugly low hooks' that seemed to just come out of nowhere! (Fortunately I was able to learn the reason why).

As mentioned, the Tour-issued models use a different weighting scheme than the original Retail SLDR Drivers from 2013-2014. For more information on that, I would refer you to the 'SLDR Fix' described in Post #77, of another thread in this forum. I provided a link near the bottom of this post to that particular 'SLDR Fix' thread. Note that the 'Fix' is applicable only to the aforementioned Retail models of the SLDR. The goal of 'The Fix' is to change the weighting scheme of the SLDR Retail models to that used by Tour-issued SLDR's for more forgiveness and to eliminate the 'low hook' so common with the original Retail SLDR Drivers. You'll find out precisely 'why' the SLDR Retail models are so much less forgiving in that thread too!

Just click on the link shown below, then scroll down to Post #77.

Please note that in my earlier post, it was the the Cleveland Classic 310 Tour that had the 'fade bias'.

SLDR Anonymous Meeting - Equipment - GolfWRX - Page 3

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

I was at the tourney yesterday and followed Fred the whole day. He was hitting an m3 with a tensei pro blue. He had seemingly no clue what the shaft was. He called a guy over to ask him about it on the putting green and was saying he loved the shaft but had no clue what it was. He was killing the driver all day though except. 30 yards past Toledo and inman

Did you get a chance to look at the model of his Titleist wedge or his hybrids??

He def had a titleist wedge but I couldn’t make out what model wedge it was. As far as hybrids he had that old tm rescue he has had forever and the worn spot in the sweet spot of the club was something to behold. It looked like had hit the sweet spot and no where else on the face about 10,000 times. He hit it off the first tee. So I got a good look while they were waiting to tee off.

He hit a black hybrid from a fairway bunker but I couldn’t make out what model it was. On his Sirius radio show before the pga championship he mentioned he was at a Bridgestone photo shoot with Bryson and he stole Bryson’s cobra hybrid cuz he hit it so well that day, but I don’t think it was a cobra. Not sure what it was. Might have been a rogue but that is a guess. Dark head though.

He had 3 hybrids in the bag. The old tm, the black one and he never hit the 3rd one.

Also two other things of note, 1) he only hit maybe 5-10 iron shots with one iron on the range. The rest of the time he hit nothing but drivers. His caddie kept teeing up balls and Freddie kept hitting drivers. I guess so he didn’t have to bend over. His caddie would tee up three at a time. Then Fred would hit them. Then Fred would talk to someone while his caddie tee’d up three more, Fred would hit them, repeat. But he hit only driver and one iron the entire time at the range and his driver was 95% of the shots. That’s why it was hard to see the hybrids, the headcovers never came off.

2nd his j40 irons that he has been using for ever looked brand new. I mean the faces and backs of the irons looked like they had never been hit. Bridgestone has to be making new sets for him. No way anyone could keep irons that pristine for that many years.

Oh and just quick a side note, I got a picture with him before the round. He was my childhood hero so it was one of the coolest things that’s happened to me celeb wise. He was really nice and took the photo. Walked right by me in the parking lot. I almost fainted when I turned around and he was walking toward me haha.

He def had a titleist wedge but I couldn’t make out what model wedge it was. As far as hybrids he had that old tm rescue he has had forever and the worn spot in the sweet spot of the club was something to behold. It looked like had hit the sweet spot and no where else on the face about 10,000 times. He hit it off the first tee. So I got a good look while they were waiting to tee off.

He hit a black hybrid from a fairway bunker but I couldn’t make out what model it was. On his Sirius radio show before the pga championship he mentioned he was at a Bridgestone photo shoot with Bryson and he stole Bryson’s cobra hybrid cuz he hit it so well that day, but I don’t think it was a cobra. Not sure what it was. Might have been a rogue but that is a guess. Dark head though.

He had 3 hybrids in the bag. The old tm, the black one and he never hit the 3rd one.

Also two other things of note, 1) he only hit maybe 5-10 iron shots with one iron on the range. The rest of the time he hit nothing but drivers. His caddie kept teeing up balls and Freddie kept hitting drivers. I guess so he didn’t have to bend over. His caddie would tee up three at a time. Then Fred would hit them. Then Fred would talk to someone while his caddie tee’d up three more, Fred would hit them, repeat. But he hit only driver and one iron the entire time at the range and his driver was 95% of the shots. That’s why it was hard to see the hybrids, the headcovers never came off.

2nd his j40 irons that he has been using for ever looked brand new. I mean the faces and backs of the irons looked like they had never been hit. Bridgestone has to be making new sets for him. No way anyone could keep irons that pristine for that many years.

Oh and just quick a side note, I got a picture with him before the round. He was my childhood hero so it was one of the coolest things that’s happened to me celeb wise. He was really nice and took the photo. Walked right by me in the parking lot. I almost fainted when I turned around and he was walking toward me haha.

Thanks for the reply.

I followed Freddie, Smoltz, Janzen and Parel inside the ropes during the practice round at the Broadmoor for the Senior Open and he only warmed up hitting a TM M2 hybrid and the SLDR driver. Can't remember if he even putted prior to the practice round.

I know he's been playing a 58 degree Callaway X-Forged for at least 6-7 years and more recently a Callaway MD4 before the switch to the Titleist wedge.

Also, one of the hybrids is a 22 or 23 degree Callaway Rogue with a Steelfiber shaft.

Nice that he took the time for a picture with you. At the Senior Open he was hounded but signed autographs and wasn't chatty with anyone other than his playing partners. After seeing how people were I'm a bit more understanding of him being standoffish...

No prob...I was looking through my videos of the day and I have the vid I was talking about where he calls the guy over to look at the driver. The guys name is “georgie.” Toward the end of the video you can hear Fred say “I like the shaft...what shaft is it?” And then georgie tell him it’s a Mitsubishi.

If anyone could walk me through an “idiots guide” of how to post a video from your phone on the app, I’d be happy to share if people want to see it.

The "SLDR is so hard to hit" trope has to be one of my favorite WRXisms. Here we have people blaming a 430cc driver head for snap hooks like it's a 1989 laminated head with a whippy senior graphite shaft in it. Just fantastic stuff.

I never understood that either. It was my favorite driver since the 510 tp. Loved my SLDR

I hit my buddy's several times and I don't remember randomly snap hooking it or anything, I just remember how terrible it felt off the face. The ball would end up right next to where my other tee shot was, but it felt like hitting the ball with a trash can.

BobCat: Thanks.

The one thing I noticed with my SLDR 430 9* vs my SLDR 460 9.5*, is that my 430 feels considerably heavier when shafted up against the 460 (swing weight wise, with the same shaft, a Tensei Pro White 70s). With adding that much weight you must be raising the swing weight points 3 maybe 4 points? I but I understand everything you said and it does make sense though. I do own a roll of lead tape, I suppose cutting it to fit the small panel where you added the 2nd blue SLDR weight would work the same way. In all are you saying roughly 4-7g in that outer perimeter is where you saw the most effective results?

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

^^^lol..I echo those sentiments...290 yard bomb one hole...snap hook left out of bounds..next hole...ugh!!!

no chance it was the swing

You’re right it was the swing. The SLDR is probably still the longest driver of all time as long as you middle it every time. They went all in with low and forward CG which also means they took the MOI to the minimum and the lower the MOI the higher the gear effect. So every little bit you miss the middle by means it hooks or slices way more than other drivers. However even the best ballstrikers on the tour would give up 5 yards for way more accuracy.

BobCat: Thanks.

The one thing I noticed with my SLDR 430 9* vs my SLDR 460 9.5*, is that my 430 feels considerably heavier when shafted up against the 460 (swing weight wise, with the same shaft, a Tensei Pro White 70s). With adding that much weight you must be raising the swing weight points 3 maybe 4 points? I but I understand everything you said and it does make sense though. I do own a roll of lead tape, I suppose cutting it to fit the small panel where you added the 2nd blue SLDR weight would work the same way. In all are you saying roughly 4-7g in that outer perimeter is where you saw the most effective results?

Sorry for going a bit... :offtopic:

rymail00...With regard to your above question about applying 'The SLDR Fix'...

You do need at least 2-grams , (equal to 1-swingweight), added to both the 'SLDR Fix' locations, so you are actually adding a total of 4-grams, or (2) swingweights with 'The Fix'.

However, since your are concerned about swingweight becoming too 'heavy', I strongly recommend replacing the 16-gram silver weight beneath the blue slider with a 'lighter' silver weight from ebay or Billy Bob's Golf's on-line store. (These come in 'kits' that also contain the slider screw you'll need). I suggest you consider the 8-gram silver weight. As you probably noted from 'The Fix' instructions, all the.SLDR Tour-issued models use either a 9-gram or an 11-gram silver weight.beneath the blue slider, ;which should tell you something! Note also that those Tour'issued SLDR's also use a heavier (metal) cover plate on the sole, (not the lightweight plastic cover used on Retail models), plus a 'toe screw' to hold it down. That should also tell you something!.

Since each 2-grams of weight in the clubhead = 1 swingweight, by using an 8-gram silver weight you can reduce swingweight by a full 4-points when making that switch. (Even lighter silver weights are also available, but I wouldn't recommend going any lighter than the 6-gram silver weight)

If you choose to use the '2nd blue slider method', (these blue sliders are also available on ebay), rather than the easier black rubber/tungsten 2-gram peel-and-stick square method, (or lead tape), be advised, there actually is no 'cutting' involved with it. Just remove the little plastic cover plate and the 3M 2-sided tape beneath that holds it on. (Use a small flat blade screw driver to do this).

Once the cover plate and 3M double-sided tape are removed, you can easily switch out the silver weight, and you'll also see the pre-drilled hole that takes the same screw as the stock TM blue slider. Simply screw down a 2nd blue slider and you're done with location #1, but you'll still need to address the 2nd 'Fix' location thas is toward the rear of the sole plate, (on the fade side), with the aforementioned rubber/tungsten square, or at least 2-grams of lead tape. The rubber/tungsten peel-and-stick weights, are available from GolfWorks in Packs of 10 for $4.99...(Part Number GW0054). If you plan to use your own lead tape, be very sure it's the 'extra dense variety' so you don't have to use so much of it in such a small area. (Golfworks sells high density lead tape also).

Note: The blue slider and screw together weigh approximately 4-grams,, but when you remove the plastic cover plate and the 3M tape, you 'lose' 2-grams, so your 'net increase' is just 2-grams, (1-swingweight), in that '2nd Blue Slider' forward location.

One last thing: Once you've made all the weight changes suggested by 'The SLDR Fix remember to reset the slider mechanism before testing. Move the slider 2-clicks toward fade from the 'blue-marked neutral position'. By using this particular slider setting you are putting the sliding weight directly behind the sweetspot of the clubface, where it does the most good, (i.e.the most solid feel and best sound). That's also the lowest point on the slider track, so it can enhance, (raise), your launch angle. I further suggest that you leave the slider in this 'most forgiving' slider position unless your 'Fix; Testing' indicates that you 'need' directional bias one way or the other, (fade or draw).

Hope that helps!

For more detail and more 'SLDR Fix' illustrations, click on the 'LINK' below, then scroll down to Post #77.

SLDR Anonymous Meeting - Equipment - GolfWRX - Page 3

SLDR WEIGHT KIT (ebay)

Below is a LINK to the weight kit shown above!

US Stock10g Golf Movable Slide Weight Replacement for Taylormade SLDR Driver - eBay

Below is a LINK to Golfworks rubber/tungsten stick-on weights (1-sqaure = 2-grams or 1swingweight)

Rubber Tungsten Swingweight Tape

(SLDR FIX METHOD #2)

NOTE: THE PIC ABOVE SHOWS JUST (1) OF THE SEVERAL DIFFERENT 'SLDR FIX' METHODS AVAILABLE!

A TOUR-ISSUED SLDR DRIVER WITH 'METAL PLATE' & 'TOE SCREW'

(FREDDY'S SLDR LOOKS LIKE THIS ONE)

Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts

Ahhh the good ole SLDR. I had the white version of this. Longest Driver I ever hit. Ever! But, also the most inconsistent driver I ever hit. Like a person said in a post before, if you were off, just a little bit, nothing was safe on the left hand side of the golf course. After a year and a half, I had to get rid of it because I just couldn't take the bad days. Maybe I should've hung onto it and played it in the scrambles. The driver was like a crazy ex-girlfriend... you smiled big during the good times but wanted to rip your hair out and leave her on the side of the road during the bad.

D - Ping G430 LST 9*, PX SB HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5
3W - Titleist 915f 16.5 (set to 15.75), Aldila Rogue White 130 70x

5W - Titleist TS3 18*, PX LE HZRDUS Blue RDX PVD 80 6.5

4H - Titleist TS3 23 (set to 22), PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 85  6.5

5H - Titleist TS3 25 (set to 26), PX Evenflow White 95 6.5

6I - PW - Titleist '19 T100, Project X 6.0 Flighted
W - Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 56S (bent to 55), 60 K, DG TI S400

P - Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5
B - Titleist AVX

Ahhh the good ole SLDR. I had the white version of this. Longest Driver I ever hit. Ever! But, also the most inconsistent driver I ever hit. Like a person said in a post before, if you were off, just a little bit, nothing was safe on the left side of the golf course. After a year and a half, I had to get rid of it because I just couldn't take the bad days. Maybe I should've hung onto it and played it in the scrambles. The SLDR driver was like a crazy ex-girlfriend... you smiled big during the good times but wanted to rip your hair out and leave her on the side of the road during the bad.

You're right about the original SLDR's, and the 'SLDR Fix' was developed to prevent those very issues!... :rolleyes:

Freddie is the antithisis of a GolfWRX club ho. if his name wasn't on his bag he probably wouldn't know which clubs were his.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

To think what it could’ve been with TwistFace...

Good God please don't throw ideas like this around. Coming to pro shops in 2019...

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Came in here for the bobcat; leaving impressed.

Facts!!!!

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

<p>You're right about the original SLDR's, and the 'SLDR Fix' was developed to prevent those very issues!... :rolleyes:

Unfortunately bobcat, I never even saw that post until well after the SLDR was gone out of the bag... Wish I would've. I once shot 74 and 88 back to back days on the same golf course. You'd thought I was going to commit suicide after that 88 with how bad I hit the driver that second day!

D - Ping G430 LST 9*, PX SB HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5
3W - Titleist 915f 16.5 (set to 15.75), Aldila Rogue White 130 70x

5W - Titleist TS3 18*, PX LE HZRDUS Blue RDX PVD 80 6.5

4H - Titleist TS3 23 (set to 22), PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 85  6.5

5H - Titleist TS3 25 (set to 26), PX Evenflow White 95 6.5

6I - PW - Titleist '19 T100, Project X 6.0 Flighted
W - Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 56S (bent to 55), 60 K, DG TI S400

P - Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5
B - Titleist AVX

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't it Freddy who once said he didn't miss a shot for like 6 years? I can't go 6 swings.

Does anyone have a link to Fred's current bag, hybrids and all?

I don’t have a link but when he was in Seattle he was playing

Driver-m3 with either a tensei pro blue or the tensei blue av shaft

3 wood- Callaway squareway with the Harrison shaft

Hybrid 1- old tm rescue with aerotech steelfiber shaft

Hybrid 2- what looked like a rogue and another poster confirmed it was a rogue with aerotech steelfiber shaft

Hybrid 3- some cobra hybrid (never hit it)

5-pw- Bridgestone j40 dpc all with the aerotech steelfiber shafts

Wedge 1-titleist wedge, dynamic gold ti shaft

Wedge 2- unsure- dynamic gold ti shaft

Putter-bettinardi fcb model

During last weeks senior tourney, I caught an approach to a par 5. They said he had a 4 hybrid in hand. On the follow thru I was able to get a good look at the sole of the club and it was a 2016 M2 hybrid.

Rogue ST MAX 10.5 Kbs TD 50

Ping 425 fwy 17* Alta 

Ping 425 hyb 22* Alta

Srixon ZX5/7 KBS Tour 110

Vega vw-06 52 58

SC X6

• 4 months later...

In the pictures from Monday the shaft in his driver looks to be a Tensei Blue shaft.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime