Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

Had a guy behind me at the range talking to his buddy and proceeded to tell his friend "My wife's t**** are sagging worse than a head liner in an '85 Grand National.

ROTFLMAO!!! It ain't just a 85 Buick Grand National it is on anything made in the 80s by GM. But I guess he got his point across

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Set up at the range and start warming up. Hear a guy behind me go:

"Oh look a lefty" and proceeds to set up behind me with many open spots.

I respond with a simple "Uh yeah" (I'm in Canada, lefties are not uncommon)

After a few more swings the questions begin,

- "So why are you a lefty?"

"I don't know just comfortable and I played hockey as a lefty, just easy for me"

- "Have you tried playing right handed? Would be easier for you"

"I'm not sure how that would work but I can't do much outside of chip and putt right handed."

- "Ah so you can play right handed!"

"No I can just do basic stuff and I don't want to buy all new clubs for something that won't work for me."

At this point I drowned the guy out and just continued my range session.

-----

But I think this guy got to someone cause 2 weeks later I played a round at the same course with 2 randoms. Walk up to the first tee and one guy goes

"Oh we got a lefty with us, watch out." in my head I'm 'Oh f*** not this again' but they weren't bad. Exchanged the usual pleasantries waiting to tee off and one guy goes:

"Yeah I use to be a lefty but recently switched to right handed, I think it will be better for the long run." - Insert a blank stare from me here for maybe 30sec

Well throughout the round this guy couldn't put a single ball in play, couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. He's just fuming, cursing, I'm enjoying this more than my round which was s*** anyways so might as well get a show. Finally I say "hey want to give a go with my driver? Couldn't get much worse" His buddy laughs and agrees with me. Dude tees off and hits one just off the fairway, I toss him 2 more balls and say hit both. First was a mishit but in the fairway and second in the fairway.

I just go "yeah I think you should switch to lefty, it will be better for you."

Wonder how many 'converts' that dude on the range has gotten to?

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I find it extremely funny that our club uses boditrak for our membership in their lessons. It’s funny to see a 75 year old on the pressure mat with the instructor telling them to shift their weight more or less, increase body tilt or whatever. I’m often thinking, they’re gunna fall over if they do that.

They all want the one thing money can’t buy...a good golf game.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0
3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
Wedges - Vokey SM5 50°, Cleveland Zipcore 54°, Cleveland Zipcore 58°
Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab 3

While talking to some random guy at the range he told me that "white golf balls naturally fade and that yellow balls draw, and that´s why it´s important to match the color of the ball to your swing".

Not sure if this guy was trolling me or if he´d read some april fools-article somewhere.

Now there’s one that is going to be hard to top!

Actually my home course switched range balls two years ago and the new ones really do go dramatically shorter than a normal golf ball. They got tired of losing range balls so they went to a limited distance range ball. Anything hit that would go more than 175 in the air with a normal ball falls out of the sky like a wounded duck.

Yeah, the range I go to doesn't have limited flight balls but it's obvious that they just don't fly right. The longer the club the shorter the flight and the faster they fall from the air and the more they tend to move offline quicker than a standard ball.

I find it extremely funny that our club uses boditrak for our membership in their lessons. It’s funny to see a 75 year old on the pressure mat with the instructor telling them to shift their weight more or less, increase body tilt or whatever. I’m often thinking, they’re gunna fall over if they do that.

When we had the golf shop I had one of my regular customers come in one morning. He was griping about he had spent $29.95 or whatever for the Stack and Tilt tape which was the rage at the time. Now remember I am not a swing guru. I looked at him and told him you should have seen me first. He was in his late 70s I told him he could not do the stack and tilt if someone held a loaded .38 to his head. He should have asked me first and saved those $$$$$. Like PT Barnum said " there is a sucker born every minute"

While talking to some random guy at the range he told me that "white golf balls naturally fade and that yellow balls draw, and that´s why it´s important to match the color of the ball to your swing".

Not sure if this guy was trolling me or if he´d read some april fools-article somewhere.

I'd bet he was seeing how fast his comment would show up in this thread.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

When we had the golf shop I had one of my regular customers come in one morning. He was griping about he had spent $29.95 or whatever for the Stack and Tilt tape which was the rage at the time. Now remember I am not a swing guru. I looked at him and told him you should have seen me first. He was in his late 70s I told him he could not do the stack and tilt if someone held a loaded .38 to his head. He should have asked me first and saved those $$$$$. Like PT Barnum said " there is a sucker born every minute"

Stack and Tilt has been done for decades, Ben Hogan for one.

This was a few years ago after i had been in the game for maybe a year or two. At the time, I'm hitting my driver about 250, maybe a little more on good days. I am at the range hitting my driver, and this guy sets up next to me, and starts talking to me. Super nice guy, and wasn't terrible at all. He then pulls out one of those infomercial drivers, i can't remember the name, but it was the same one with the guy that yells "POW" when he hits it, the one that has been banned from numerous driving ranges... He clearly loves this driver, and yells after each shot.

So he wants me to hit this thing, and I happily oblige. Not gonna lie, it wasn't the worst thing i've ever hit, felt kind of like an old persimmon.

It was almost like i was in the infomercial myself.... I would hit a shot, and he would yell "POW!" for me, and would say how far it went, "that one hit the back fence!!!" (the back fence is over 300, and this thing at best went maybe 225...) This went on for about 5 shots, all of which hit the back fence, in case you're wondering... lol

Easily one of the funniest/strangest times I've had at the range.

This was a few years ago after i had been in the game for maybe a year or two. At the time, I'm hitting my driver about 250, maybe a little more on good days. I am at the range hitting my driver, and this guy sets up next to me, and starts talking to me. Super nice guy, and wasn't terrible at all. He then pulls out one of those infomercial drivers, i can't remember the name, but it was the same one with the guy that yells "POW" when he hits it, the one that has been banned from numerous driving ranges... He clearly loves this driver, and yells after each shot.

So he wants me to hit this thing, and I happily oblige. Not gonna lie, it wasn't the worst thing i've ever hit, felt kind of like an old persimmon.

It was almost like i was in the infomercial myself.... I would hit a shot, and he would yell "POW!" for me, and would say how far it went, "that one hit the back fence!!!" (the back fence is over 300, and this thing at best went maybe 225...) This went on for about 5 shots, all of which hit the back fence, in case you're wondering... lol

The HAMMER!

The HAMMER!

Thats it! it was so funny to hear him talk about the shaft because it was more aerodynamic than a regular driver shaft... I hope that dude is still playing golf and still having just as much fun.

Heard this recently.

"Yeah Tiger is definitely playing a non-Bridgestone ball"

"Tiger has never played one in the past so who believes he's actually playing one"

"Yeah Bridgestone has never made a good ball, He should have stocked up on Nike's"

Lol. Didn't Bridgestone make Nike's balls for them?

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

Heard this one today (names have been redacted);

Member 1: “Hey...did you hear about so-and-so?”

Member 2: “No I didn’t what happened”

Member 1: “He got into Augusta a couple weeks ago”

Member 2: “No way...I’ll never hear the end of that”

I thought it was funny, because this guy hardly plays anymore but was dying to be a member for as long as I had known him.

I thought it was funny, because this guy hardly plays anymore but was dying to be a member for as long as I had known him.

Somebody at your club is now a member at Augusta?

Or got into Augusta State U?

Yes. If I had to put a number on it there’s probably at least a dozen. They’re not really famous either, one guys father was an original member which is pretty cool to sit and talk with him. He estimated that he and his family have walked the distance from Boston to LA at ANGC alone.

Either one is great lol

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Heard this recently.

"Yeah Tiger is definitely playing a non-Bridgestone ball"

"Tiger has never played one in the past so who believes he's actually playing one"

"Yeah Bridgestone has never made a good ball, He should have stocked up on Nike's"

Lol. Didn't Bridgestone make Nike's balls for them?

Yes. Hence the ridiculousness. Love when people that don't really golf try to speak on the great one

I find it extremely funny that our club uses boditrak for our membership in their lessons. It's funny to see a 75 year old on the pressure mat with the instructor telling them to shift their weight more or less, increase body tilt or whatever. I'm often thinking, they're gunna fall over if they do that.

Stack and Tilt has been done for decades, Ben Hogan for one.

True but trust me this guy could not do it

Was at the indoor range sunday. I'm a lefty so took a spot facing three righties having a group lesson. After about 30 minutes, the pro said "ok guys, same time next week?" They were all high fiveing, laughing, having a great time.

During that thirty minutes, all they did was chat about last summers golf and drinking beer. There was no instruction. Other than a few "good shot"

Goes to show that a lesson to one, is not a lesson to another.

Maybe it's because we've rejoined the country club that I haven't had the occasional person come up to me at the driving range to give unsolicited advice (that alone was worth the price of admission). Anyone ever have that happen? As if they were the 'lifeguard instructor' at the driving range overseeing the hitters to give unsolicited advice. Used to be one at the public course I was at before the private course, and no matter how far away I tried to stay from him (other side of the range), he'd find a way to work himself over and just stand there watching me hit balls and I'd be waiting for the "why don't you try this..... " suggestion. I finally figured out how to relieve myself of him.... I engaged him, let him give me a suggestion, tried it while he stood there, and say "I think I got it now, thanks", and he'd walk away.....and if he'd yell something to me from 10-15 bays away, I'd just say, "oh, it's working much better now, thanks" (even though I wasn't doing what he offered).

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Maybe it's because we've rejoined the country club that I haven't had the occasional person come up to me at the driving range to give unsolicited advice (that alone was worth the price of admission). Anyone ever have that happen? As if they were the 'lifeguard instructor' at the driving range overseeing the hitters to give unsolicited advice. Used to be one at the public course I was at before the private course, and no matter how far away I tried to stay from him (other side of the range), he'd find a way to work himself over and just stand there watching me hit balls and I'd be waiting for the "why don't you try this..... " suggestion. I finally figured out how to relieve myself of him.... I engaged him, let him give me a suggestion, tried it while he stood there, and say "I think I got it now, thanks", and he'd walk away.....and if he'd yell something to me from 10-15 bays away, I'd just say, "oh, it's working much better now, thanks" (even though I wasn't doing what he offered).

That is polite of you. I would do the exact opposite honestly. I am a bit of an introvert and don't really like people...call me an Word not allowedhole, whatever. It has never happened to me but if some random person came up to me and started telling me what to do, I honestly don't know what I would do. I would want to tell him off, but I probably wouldnt. I would honestly probably just look at them, pack up my stuff and leave.

I like golf. A lot.

That is polite of you. I would do the exact opposite honestly. I am a bit of an introvert and don't really like people...call me an Word not allowedhole, whatever. It has never happened to me but if some random person came up to me and started telling me what to do, I honestly don't know what I would do. I would want to tell him off, but I probably wouldnt. I would honestly probably just look at them, pack up my stuff and leave.

Hey, we’d get along really well. Although we’d never know since we’d never speak to each other.