Jimmy Ballard

Martin Chuck and I have been friends for 35 years and his is a great product. Jimmy Ballard recently told that he liked a ball between the arms. As for the Izzo band, that for some reason makes me feel around and stuck on the downswing. Jimmy said the Swingshirt gets players swinging more around than he likes, but using it in conjunction with the Connector on the left arm solves that problem for me.

Colbert Triangle intact. Need more video on JBs most successful Senior Tour player. Rocco cant touch this

Here is the article from 1996 that JJ is referring to, I have a copy of it too....

Love that article. I wish we had ANY film of Jim Colbert swing. Ironic that the guy who epitimizes Ballards method cannot be found anywhere on youtube showing these fundaments.

Does anyone have links to Colbert swing?

One of the many Ballard threads on here has a link to a video of Colbert hitting balls while Jimmy and a woman teacher and maybe another guy watch and commentate. I'll try to find it, but just search Ballard on here.

Edit to add,

Found the thread but the video has been removed from youtube

There is a lot of discussion in this and other threads about connection and how to feel connection. The following has worked wonders for me. Try it to see if it helps you feel connected in the swing.

Unconnected, a/k/a how I was taught to set up. I stand up straight, speed my arms out and then bring my hands together out in front of me, palm to palm. I then bend over into my golf stance. I can feel my upper arms resting against my body, but I have to intentionally pinch them in to feel pressure. If I then pull my hands inward and upward to my belly button without applying pressure, my elbows move away form my body, point out, and they end up pointed directly down the target line when the bottom of my palms touch my belly button. That last part tells me that if something goes wrong in the swing, my elbows are free to fly away from the body and the only way for me to keep them tight is to consciously pinch them tight to my body.

Connected. I stand upright, spread my arms out and bring my hands together palms up, little fingers on each hand touching. I then fold my hands together like praying, but without moving or repositioning the elbows. I then bend into my golf stance. When I do this, my arms feel tight to my chest, but I don't have to pinch in. It basically pre-sets my upper arms for connection. When I pull my hands inward and upward to my belly button, my elbows slide around my lower rib cage, instead of pulling away from the body. To get my elbows pointing down the line like above, I have to hunch my shoulders forward and force the elbows out; which I am obviously not going to do when actually swinging a club.

Here is the article from 1996 that JJ is referring to, I have a copy of it too....

Love that article. I wish we had ANY film of Jim Colbert swing. Ironic that the guy who epitimizes Ballards method cannot be found anywhere on youtube showing these fundaments.

Does anyone have links to Colbert swing?

One of the many Ballard threads on here has a link to a video of Colbert hitting balls while Jimmy and a woman teacher and maybe another guy watch and commentate. I'll try to find it, but just search Ballard on here.

Edit to add,

Found the thread but the video has been removed from youtube

Many Ballard disciples are MIA regarding video footage anywhere on the web

What about :

Leonard Thompson?

Local golf club had a demo day with a ton of club companies at the range.

Oh Lord the Honma driver is awesome!!

Have a fitting tomorrow for Titleist clubs and will see how I hit the TS2, but my Lord.....that Honma ($599 brand new).

Can someone let me know how to fix a high wipe shot to the right? Seems to happen when trying to load more into the right leg than usual.

Have a fitting tomorrow for Titleist clubs and will see how I hit the TS2, but my Lord.....that Honma ($599 brand new).

Can someone let me know how to fix a high wipe shot to the right? Seems to happen when trying to load more into the right leg than usual.

If you’re forcing a big weight transfer you probably aren’t getting off your right side fast enough, hence hanging back and blocking the shot. It’s really tough to say for sure without seeing you swing though.

I am trying to force more weight to coil.......

Maybe better off coiling the upper body more and thus the bottom coils more :dntknw:

If you’re forcing a big weight transfer you probably aren’t getting off your right side fast enough, hence hanging back and blocking the shot. It’s really tough to say for sure without seeing you swing though.

Putting like an absolute DUmbWord not allowed

JB talks bak inside then toe release. I know Curtis thiught straight bak and thru in his book. Im all over the place. I could hit it great and still jackwagon it to 80 with 34 putts

Need some good ideas other than JB

Speedster.....from the look of your follow through it looks the entire upper body is moving laterally through the downswing. Is it?

Putting like an absolute DUmbWord not allowed

JB talks bak inside then toe release. I know Curtis thiught straight bak and thru in his book. Im all over the place. I could hit it great and still jackwagon it to 80 with 34 putts

Need some good ideas other than JB

Interesting how experiences vary from one person to the next. I was always a good putter. Then it started to go bad. So I went to the JB method. I think that my putting is now better than it has ever been. All I do is set up square, start it back square, and maintain connection - elbow/triangle. I don’t think about taking it back on an arc, but I’m sure that an arc is what happens. Toe automatically releases, a very different thing from the past, which means that I was always blocking it without realizing it.

What I like about this, other than dropping six foot putts on a much more regular basis, is that the feel of my upper body is similar to the feel that I have in my full swing and pitches/chips. It makes me think that I am working on exactly the same thing - connection - in every aspect of the game, total consistency of technique, simpler.

I want to share with you all one of the greatest articles, in my opinion, on the golf swing that has ever been written. It was in Golf Digest in 1981 the year after JB wrote his book. It's like a cliff notes version of his book, and definitely worth reading. It was a two part series and seeing I saved both parts, I figured I'd scan and share it with you guys seeing it is SO good. I will share part 1 today and then the rest another day, but I would rather you all had time to digest part 1 first. I also will upload some of the other great articles I have saved, but it takes time to scan and I would rather you had a little time in between each one.... Enjoy!

PART 1:

Part 2 please. :)

Interesting how experiences vary from one person to the next. I was always a good putter. Then it started to go bad. So I went to the JB method. I think that my putting is now better than it has ever been. All I do is set up square, start it back square, and maintain connection - elbow/triangle. I don’t think about taking it back on an arc, but I’m sure that an arc is what happens. Toe automatically releases, a very different thing from the past, which means that I was always blocking it without realizing it.

What I like about this, other than dropping six foot putts on a much more regular basis, is that the feel of my upper body is similar to the feel that I have in my full swing and pitches/chips. It makes me think that I am working on exactly the same thing - connection - in every aspect of the game, total consistency of technique, simpler.

In theory I agree with you, we are both trying to accomplish the same thing, but for me True Pendulum Motion has made me a much better putter than the connector ever did. This doesn’t mean I don’t like the connector, but the TPM helps more aspects of the stroke for me, and you can’t cheat it like you can with the connector. TPM puts me in the perfect set-up and posture, keeps the triangle in tact and the perfect path which is naturally straighter back on short putts inside of 6 feet and naturally arcs the path on longer strokes. If you haven’t tried the TPM, you should.... it rocks!

I have 3 putting strokes

1. TPM lock in the triangle

2. Connector triangle and fold left elbow down line

3. Trangle with shoulders and elbows folding

Anyone ine of the 3 works. But I flip flop btwn all three that seem to be generally acceptable by JB bc they all work the toe open to closed.

I usually change based on my full swing feels. Like if Im feeln like I need more triangle so be it. I want to settle on something or I might goto crazy farm!

Crazy Crazy game

Speedster.....from the look of your follow through it looks the entire upper body is moving laterally through the downswing. Is it?

After impact yes..... At impact my head is behind the ball, but after impact I am in front of where the ball was. This is also why I never flip it!

My arms go dead if I get center moving without arms. Somehow not coordinating is my flip issue bc I can snipe it w my hands 2 feet behind center of left foot.

NUTZ

In theory I agree with you, we are both trying to accomplish the same thing, but for me True Pendulum Motion has made me a much better putter than the connector ever did. This doesn’t mean I don’t like the connector, but the TPM helps more aspects of the stroke for me, and you can’t cheat it like you can with the connector. TPM puts me in the perfect set-up and posture, keeps the triangle in tact and the perfect path which is naturally straighter back on short putts inside of 6 feet and naturally arcs the path on longer strokes. If you haven’t tried the TPM, you should.... it rocks!

Actually, I'm not using the connector. I'm just applying the JB principles of connection to putting, and I am putting lights out right now. I looked at the TPM based on your earlier comments. There will be one in my future, once the placebo effect wears off with what I’m doing right now. I haven’t putted this well in years.

Actually, I'm not using the connector. I'm just applying the JB principles of connection to putting, and I am putting lights out right now. I looked at the TPM based on your earlier comments. There will be one in my future, once the placebo effect wears off with what I’m doing right now. I haven’t putted this well in years.

Please share your placebo !

I am bouncing around w too many Tin Cup gadgets and devices

call me flippy the clown ?

You need to settle your putting and ball striking and stick with it through thick and thin.... golf is a very mental game no matter how good your mechanics are.

Rocco PUTTING talks about locking in the triangle and standing taller. If I bend over while putting there seems to be no consistency. Standing taller helps work the club back on a better arc inside to out. I would have thought bending over would do this but I end up cutting putts bent over. Putted better today with posture like full swing in mind.

You need to settle your putting and ball striking and stick with it through thick and thin.... golf is a very mental game no matter how good your mechanics are.

Rocco PUTTING talks about locking in the triangle and standing taller. If I bend over while putting there seems to be no consistency. Standing taller helps work the club back on a better arc inside to out. I would have thought bending over would do this but I end up cutting putts bent over. Putted better today with posture like full swing in mind.

I disagree with standing taller.... maybe with the long putter, but not a short one. Something I learned and incorporated into my putting 25 years ago was getting into more of a sit position where my upper thigh angle matches the shaft angle.... much like a weight lifters position where there is very little pressure on my back. While using the True Pendulum Motion and looking at your side angle in the mirror this posture is easy to incorporate. This posture also includes having your eyes directly over the line/ball at address.

Yes agrred! Exactly what Archer did with that angle