2019 Golf Association of Philadelphia Major Schedule

Drudersh

Usually we have to wait until the Winter issue of GAP Magazine to find out where the Major's will be played the following year, however this year Christmas came early and the major venues were released on the last page of the fall issue.

Following a so-so 2018 schedule with the best of the bunch being Gulph Mills by a mile, the 2019 schedule is tougher in terms of the actual courses that will be played, and significantly better as a whole. In my opinion, it's a wonderful rota and I'll be hoping to play in as many of these events as I can.

36th GAP Mid-Am - Rolling Green Golf Club - A familiar venue for many in the GAP circuit, Rolling Green is a wonderful layout and a great mix of scoreable holes and long difficult holes. I've heard members complain about the conditioning over the last few years but have heard it's improved significantly and every time I've played there it's been excellent. I really enjoy the course start to finish and think it's a great venue especially for the Mid-Am.

119th GAP Amateur Championship - Stonewall (Old/North) - Another terrific, albeit not terribly convenient venue. I've never played the North and it's been years since I played the Old but remember it being a really strong test of golf with plenty of opportunities to post a crooked number. Stonewall was the host site of the 2016 USGA Mid-Am which saw Stewart Hagestad 4 down with 4 to play only to birdie 5 holes in a row and win on the first playoff hole.

Amazing to watch if you haven't seen the highlights - https://www.usga.org/videos/2016/09/15/usga_midam_championshiphighlight-mov-5127204981001.html

115th Open Championship - Huntingdon Valley Country Club - Another stout test of golf. If this course is firm in the middle of July it will be an absolute bear to contend with. There's a reason a lot of the best players in the region hail from HVCC as the course demands length, accurate driving, good putting and better iron play.

117th Joseph H. Patterson Cup - Applebrook Golf Club - Built in the early 2000's, Applebrook is one of the best courses you may not have played or even heard of in the Philadelphia area. It's a big, links style course with impeccable conditions and an extremely difficult test from the back tees. Plenty of space to hit the ball off the tee, but penalizes you on either side of the fairways if you're truly spraying the ball. This course in tournament condition is one of the hardest you'll find in the region.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait, i'll be playing in a lot of GAP events this year.

Titleist TSI3 10* / Ventus black 6X 
Titleist Hybrid 818 / Tensei white 90X
Titleist T-100 3-P / Modus tour 130X
Titleist SM8 chrome 50/10 wedge
Titleist SM8 chrome 54/14 wedge
Titleist SM8 black 60/8 wedge
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

• 2 months later...

Full schedule has been posted including qualifying locations for losers like me who aren't exempt this year.

Mid-Amateur - Olde Homestead Golf Course - never heard of it but from the hole by hole it looks like the hardest golf course in PA (4/13)

Coatesville Country Club - I haven't played it for a few years but I remember a mix of truly great holes and really bad holes (4/23)

North Hills - Never played it but have heard it's tight and short (4/30)

Elmhurst Country Club - Never heard of this one either but google tells me its up in Scranton (5/1)

Am Qualifying - Hartefeld National - Good layout, fun course, heard they were having a lot of trouble with conditions last year (5/7)

Glenmaura - Never played it, hear it's awesome but it's a hike, north of Wilkes-Barre (5/9)

Brookside (Allentown, not Pottstown) - Have never played or heard anything about it. Hole by hole is uninspiring (5/18)

White Manor - Awesome course, one of my favorites, will probably be the venue most of the better players choose (5/20)

Open Championship - Golden Oaks - All around decent course, always seems to give up crazy low numbers in qualifying (6/19)

Wyoming Valley - Played a GAP match there a while ago, this is Tillinghast's turd of a layout. Also in Scranton (7/1)

Bluestone - Very average course, on the tighter side but not bad overall (7/1)

Patterson Cup - Great Bear - Never heard of it, hole by hole looks pretty cool though. Poconos course and looks tight (7/23)

Green Valley - Co-host of the AM last year, supposed to be good but I haven't played it (7/24)

Riverton - Never heard of it but the hole by hole looks really, really good. Might be worth checking out (7/25)

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

For the GAP qualifiers and tournaments, do you really need a 7 handicap or lower to be able to play as the website says? With an 8 will it not let you sign up?

That’s correct you won’t be able to complete the sign up through the website.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

For the GAP qualifiers and tournaments, do you really need a 7 handicap or lower to be able to play as the website says? With an 8 will it not let you sign up?

unless you’re an 8 who can shoot +4 with tourney conditions and courses at their best, you’re wasting your time.

Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/ 

sign me up for white manor and riverton qualifying...

great venues this year! can’t wait

Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

unless you’re an 8 who can shoot +4 with tourney conditions and courses at their best, you’re wasting your time.

Haha yea I figured that, but with WM being my home course figured I’d give it a try. Is 4 over usually the cut off qualifying at these?

Haha yea I figured that, but with WM being my home course figured I’d give it a try. Is 4 over usually the cut off qualifying at these?

Heavily dependent on the venue and weather conditions/event you're attempting to qualify for. I've seen cuts as high at +10 and +11 for GAP Mid Am qualifiers that are played in bad conditions and as low as +2 - +3 for the Mid Am in good conditions. Cuts can be as low as +1/E for Am Qualifiers played in good conditions on get-table courses.

My guess is the cut line at White Manor will be somewhere in the realm of +3 to +5 depending on the weather.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Drudersh is right...

I’ve qualified being +6 and then I’ve been in playoffs shooting +1. Completely course and conditions dictate it.

Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

Drudersh- Kennett Sq seems to be in line for some nice away course matches for the GAP Team Matches this year

Ohhhh yea big time. Lancaster, Manufacturer's and Heidelberg. The only one I'm not familiar with is Heidelberg. Looking forward to Manny's though and Lancaster is one of the best courses in the US. If you haven't played Lancaster, put it at the very top of your priority list and find a way to get on.

I always play away no matter the course. I love seeing new tracks, plus when something like Lancaster pops up you've paid your dues and have priority.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Drudersh- Kennett Sq seems to be in line for some nice away course matches for the GAP Team Matches this year

Ohhhh yea big time. Lancaster, Manufacturer's and Heidelberg. The only one I'm not familiar with is Heidelberg. Looking forward to Manny's though and Lancaster is one of the best courses in the US. If you haven't played Lancaster, put it at the very top of your priority list and find a way to get on.

I always play away no matter the course. I love seeing new tracks, plus when something like Lancaster pops up you've paid your dues and have priority.

Saw that lineup and my first thought was man, Drudersh is in line to play Lancaster. I'm a big fan of Lancaster it falls under the radar in the national spotlight but I was fortunate to play it several times in college and its one of my favorite PA courses. Manny's no slouch either and yeah only one i didn't recognize right off hand was Heidelberg, seems like you always end up traveling up to that area each year for these matches.

Saw that lineup and my first thought was man, Drudersh is in line to play Lancaster. I'm a big fan of Lancaster it falls under the radar in the national spotlight but I was fortunate to play it several times in college and its one of my favorite PA courses. Manny's no slouch either and yeah only one i didn't recognize right off hand was Heidelberg, seems like you always end up traveling up to that area each year for these matches.

Yea Heidelberg won't be too bad a drive. Maybe a little over an hour. Every one of our matches is in the 50 min. to an hour range drive time which isn't horrible. Last year we had to drive up to Fox Hill which is a solid 2 1/2 hours from us. Fortunately it was a great course and worth the drive.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

119th GAP Amateur Championship - Stonewall (Old/North) - Another terrific, albeit not terribly convenient venue. I've never played the North and it's been years since I played the Old but remember it being a really strong test of golf with plenty of opportunities to post a crooked number. Stonewall was the host site of the 2016 USGA Mid-Am which saw Stewart Hagestad 4 down with 4 to play only to birdie 5 holes in a row and win on the first playoff hole.

In my humble opinion, North is much better than Old, and it's not close. Old gets the lion's share of attention because it came first and has the full clubhouse/amenities, because it's more "traditional" looking, and it is a little better maintained. However, North is much more pure Doak - he built it with the same team of associates right after Pacific Dunes - and it just fits the land better. I think both Stonewalls are underrated in the Philly area, but for my money, Stonewall North is *the* most underrated course in PA.

PM me Drudersh.

Ping G430 LST 10.5°, Fujikura Ventus Red TR 6X
TaylorMade Stealth Rescue 22° Fujikura Ventus 8X
Miura KM-700, 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 Wedgeworks: 52-12F, 56-10S, 60-04T DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx 
Vokey Limited Edition: 64-04W, DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx
LAB Mezz.1 Arm Lock LAGP White Shaft

I'm taking a closer look at Qualifying sites. Has anyone actually played Olde Homestead? The Saturday qualifier is always appealing but the hole by hole on Myphillygolf.com makes it look like the hardest course outside of Bethpage on the east coast. I don't think I can find a hole where both misses aren't penalized. Check this brute out - http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/OldeHomestead/index5.html?

Looks like 78 spots in that one, I'm saying 83 gets in.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

I'm taking a closer look at Qualifying sites. Has anyone actually played Olde Homestead? The Saturday qualifier is always appealing but the hole by hole on Myphillygolf.com makes it look like the hardest course outside of Bethpage on the east coast. I don't think I can find a hole where both misses aren't penalized. Check this brute out - http://www.myphillyg...ad/index5.html?

Hey Dan - hope all is well. I played Olde Homestead in an outing a year or two ago. Go get 1 round in before the qualifier there and you will be all good. Its a fairly straight forward course, there are a couple holes on the front that go into the woods, and 10/11 wrap around a pond, but besides that it's probably 13 really basic holes - there are definitely more holes I would describe as "wide open" than the holes I would consider "tight". I would be playing in that qualifier if it wasn't for a friends Wedding on that same date.

I have never attempted to qualify for the Patterson Cup due to a conflicts with work - that will certainly change this year. And yes, Riverton is worth checking out - PM me if you end up signing up for that qualifier.

If I end up going for the AM also, it will be at Brookside. You are correct that it is 100% uninspiring & boring. Wouldn't have much interest in playing there, except it is the site of my greatest previous qualifying success, so naturally I would have to roll with it again.

I'm taking a closer look at Qualifying sites. Has anyone actually played Olde Homestead? The Saturday qualifier is always appealing but the hole by hole on Myphillygolf.com makes it look like the hardest course outside of Bethpage on the east coast. I don't think I can find a hole where both misses aren't penalized. Check this brute out - http://www.myphillyg...ad/index5.html?

Yup; I played Olde Homestead in a college match. I'm really going back here, but I remember it being much more wide open and forgiving than what the pictures show (though I do agree with your analysis of the pics). Comparing to other Philly area publics, I remember it being like Turtle Creek in Limerick - some water here and there, and and a few tough holes but much like C-Law said, most of the holes are gettable.

Ping G430 LST 10.5°, Fujikura Ventus Red TR 6X
TaylorMade Stealth Rescue 22° Fujikura Ventus 8X
Miura KM-700, 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 Wedgeworks: 52-12F, 56-10S, 60-04T DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx 
Vokey Limited Edition: 64-04W, DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx
LAB Mezz.1 Arm Lock LAGP White Shaft

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the first hand info on Olde Homestead. I'll probably go ahead and sign up for that one when it opens to take advantage of the Saturday qualifier and save a vacation day.

I see the May 20th Am Qualifier that was supposed to be at White Manor has gone back to TBD. That's a major bummer. Really didn't want to have to go to Hartfeld but may have to make the adjustment depending on the replacement venue.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Wyncote back into the team matches for the first time in a long time and nabbing a rota with Stonewall and Wilmington (and Loch Nairn). Good for them.

I see the White Manor qualifier for the Amateur has been replaced with Trump National Philadelphia. I've never played it but it looks very good on the hole by hole.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

I hadn’t really noticed that but you’re right. And yes that is a good move. Hard to get guys motivated to drive an hour and a half or more to roll the dice on a course they’ve never heard of. I have a friend who is at Biderman and saw they have West Chester, DuPont and Radley Run and thought they had just lucked out.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Looks like they really regionalized divisions B-E...which is a great move. Also Division D has 32 sections which is not the norm. Not sure why they did that unless it was to be able to regionalize in which case it was brilliant.

GAP eliminated Division F which had 28 teams last year and added new member clubs:

Hershey (two teams)

West Shore (two teams)

Atlantic City

Bon Air

Carlisle

Chambersburg

Elmhurst

Foxchase

Frosty Valley

CC of Harrisburg

Irem

Lebanon

Olde Homestead

Out Door

Pocono Farms

RiverWinds Golf & Tennis Club

Scranton Canoe Club

Scotland Run

Scranton Municipal

Westwood

Wyncote

Looks like they really regionalized divisions B-E...which is a great move. Also Division D has 32 sections which is not the norm. Not sure why they did that unless it was to be able to regionalize in which case it was brilliant.

GAP eliminated Division F which had 28 teams last year and added new member clubs:

Hershey (two teams)

West Shore (two teams)

Atlantic City

Bon Air

Carlisle

Chambersburg

Elmhurst

Foxchase

Frosty Valley

CC of Harrisburg

Irem

Lebanon

Olde Homestead

Out Door

Pocono Farms

Scranton Canoe Club

Scotland Run

Scranton Municipal

Westwood

Wyncote

I saw that but now Division E is just the new Division F. Im guessing they made D so big just to be able to continue regionalize. Going forward it will be interesting to see how they handle these clubs. Most of those clubs would be a nightmare to have in your section.

Hershey (two teams)

West Shore (two teams)

Atlantic City

Bon Air

Carlisle

Chambersburg

Elmhurst

Foxchase

Frosty Valley

CC of Harrisburg

Irem

Lebanon

Olde Homestead

Out Door

Pocono Farms

Scranton Canoe Club

Scotland Run

Scranton Municipal

Westwood

Wyncote

I saw that but now Division E is just the new Division F. Im guessing they made D so big just to be able to continue regionalize. Going forward it will be interesting to see how they handle these clubs. Most of those clubs would be a nightmare to have in your section.

Unless they change the rules, that will be an issue next year. They placed most of the new clubs in Division C, Section1 to 5. The winners of those sections will move to B next year and as of now they do not regionalize in AA, A and B.