2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus4! Read What Members Are Saying!

We have members testing out the new Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus4 grips! Read below what they are saying about these grips and please feel free to ask any questions you might have. The Testers are....

bigeasy

CaseyDan

Nelly32

Masse1369

mojo33543

texasdave

Timbo929

mr_duffer

shakey

viperstudio

Thank you to Golf Pride for putting on this review thread!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

Congrats to winners!

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

Thanks to Golf Pride and Golfwrx for the chance to try and test the new Tour Velvet +4 grip.

I got My delivery today and will be installing them tomorrow and playing Sunday.

I currently play MCC +4 with two extra wraps under the bottom hand and will do the same on these.

One thing I'm not too fond of at first glance is the "Tour Velvet" on the opposite side of the Golf Pride logo, wish it had been easier to install w/o a logo showing.

Ok I got 27 holes in today with the TV +4 on my driver, 7 iron and lob wedge.

One of the problems I’ve always had with the regular TV is they always feel slick, this is why I prefer the MCC +4, it feels more secure when I grip it....well I don’t know if it’s just me but the TV+4 feels a lot better then the stock TV, not as secure as the MCC+4 but way better then the stock TV. If I were to compare it I think it feels more like the Lamkin Crossline.

I tried to show the traction on the standard TV and +4...to my eye it seems like the traction on the +4 is deeper then the standard TV.

Overall this is a great improvement over the stock TV and may just be my future grip of choice.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9.5*
Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
TaylorMade P790 5-PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50..54..58
Scotty Cameron 009m
Bridgestone Tour Bx

A very special thank you very much to Golfwrx, Golf Pride, and podcast GOAT Knudson81 for selecting me to review the new TV plus 4's.

I wear a M/L Cadet Titleist Players glove (fits perfectly like skin) and normally get 2 to 3 extra wraps under standard GP grip. I have never used a +4 grip but love and play both TV and MCC's.

Out of the package review for Looks: TV plus 4's look BEAST ( a very clean yet aggressive look using a great combination of colors that go well with each other)

on club: I personally was never really bothered by any writing on grips, but if you are.. there's a whole lot of writing... Bellow is a comparison of the TV plus 4 and TV 360 logo down (you can be the judge and plan logo down or up when installing).

full club from front:

front close up:

back view:

Feel:

Just like the original TV 360, its very tacky and will fly in any weather. The best way to describe the lower hand, is it feels just like the TV 360 with 4 extra wraps, lol. Simply no other way to put it.

Feel/ performance per club:

This is where it got interesting. I might sound crazy but each club felt different. Below are my reviews per club:

(as someone who puts 2 to 3 wraps under standard grip's, I put 2 wraps top to bottom for each grip)

Vokey 60.12 D grind/ wedge flex - Love my wedges, wedge game, and practicing wedges.. Total feel/ tempo clubs for me.

The TV plus 4 felt great. I could barely feel the lower hand being thick at address, but during the swing you can feel it. During the swing the thicker lower hand really gave me relaxed control of my shot from the top all the way through the ball.

Close to the fringe/ no wrist hinge/ slide the club under the ball/ hop and little roll chip- When the lower hand was tapered(regular TV 360), I couldn't feel the club in the right hand which resulted in less control. With the TV plus 4's, this shot was really controllable since the lower hand is so thick. You can get aggressive and control the club with the results you want. I use to roll this shot short a lot due to fear, but now I can move it freely with confidence.

Chips and Pitches - Before, I would swing down with some force for clean contact and the landing spot I wanted (which I get most times), but my roll was unpredictable. Sometime it rolls short or long depending on my force. But, with the TV plus 4, since you can feel it in the right hand the whole time, you can just swing the club head like a weight on a string. The swing speed is naturally the same and roll is very predictable.

Full wedge shots- nothing too different in ball flight. feels, not different.

all in all: a must have for wedges :)

TMB 7 iron/ S300- Love my irons, Iron game, and practicing Irons.. set up, back swing, transition, and tension/ tempo focused... ball flight: Draw to push draw ball flight.

The TV plus 4 felt just ok (it didn't feel bad or great). My ball flight was the same and controllable. I really felt the 4 extra wraps under my right hand at the top of the back swing. Feels like you can stop the back swing length with your right hand when needed and also felt it was causing a late release through the ball. This could be a good thing or a bad thing, but will take some practice to get use too.

all in all: 50 / 50 on the irons.

Mizuno ST180 / Tensei white 70 s- Worst club in the bag but can manage on the course. Since it's the worst club, I naturally swing for the fences every time... Ball flight: Push draw to hook

The TV plus 4's on the driver was not my fit. It felt like I was holding freshly picked jumbo corn at address in my right(lower) hand. In the back-swing and at the top, same feeling of holding jumbo corn, I couldn't control the low point, couldn’t release the club so my club face was de-lofting hard at impact.

all in all: not for me (but if you have some big hands or or have a lot of force through the ball, it can be good.)

thank you so much everyone and hope this helps. Please let me know if I left out anything.

First of all thanks for the opportunity Golfpride and Golfwrx for giving me the chance to test and review the tour velvet Plus 4 grip. I have been waiting patiently for over a week when i got the email saying grips were ready to be shipped. Funny story, I did not read the full details of the contest and thought I was going to receive 13 grips, so I promptly removed all grips from my irons, haha. Anyway I have put the 3 grips I received on 3 of my irons and I am ready to go as soon as it quits raining. I currently play the MCCPlus 4s and love the taper grip. The tour velvets are the same but with the soft feel. I cant wait to play with them!

Update 3/4/ Finally got to play 27 holes this weekend and the results were fairly good-41,36,37. I am playing with three of

golfprides best grips, the tour velvet mcc plus4, the mcc and the mcc plus 4. First of all the I dont look down on my grips when I am playing so I dont care how many times they put their name on the grips. I love the taper of the mcc plus 4 grips as you can choke down on any club and get the same feel, which i think is important in shot making and keeping the hands out of the shot as much as possible. I love a tacky feel and this is where the tour velvet mcc plus 4 is lacking to me. I like all three grips, as each has a quality I like and could easily game all three.. I will play this combo set until I wear them down. Price is probably in the favor of the MCC tour velvet plus when I replace one, $6.19 vs $11.69, yes I like a good buy! Overall if I had to pick a winner it would be the MCC plus 4-tacky, taper and not hard on the hands. Thanks to Golfpride and Golfwrx for the opportunity!

Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

First of all thanks for the opportunity Golfpride and Golfwrx for giving me the chance to test and review the tour velvet Plus 4 grip. I have been waiting patiently for over a week when i got the email saying grips were ready to be shipped. Funny story, I did not read the full details of the contest and thought I was going to receive 13 grips, so I promptly removed all grips from my irons, haha. Anyway I have put the 3 grips I received on 3 of my irons and I am ready to go as soon as it quits raining. I currently play the MCCPlus 4s and love the taper grip. The tour velvets are the same but with the soft feel. I cant wait to play with them!

do you normally put any extra wraps of grip tape on your grips?

if so, did you put the same number of wraps from the top of the grip to bottom or just the top hand(since the bottom is stock plus 4)?

I normally put 2 wraps on standards and was wondering if I should put 2 wraps only on the top hand since its plus 4..

First, thank you GolfWRX and Golf Pride for a chance to try these new grips.

I have been using the Lamkin REL grip with two wraps of tape for years. The standard size in it feels like it sits between a GP Tour Velvet standard and midsize...which is about perfect for me. I've tried other grips, but never found one I like any better. When I heard about GP bringing the TV Plus 4 grips to the market, I was excited to try them and almost started doing the old Daniel Bryan "Yes" chant (WWE wrestling reference for non-fans) when I got the email saying I was selected as a tester.

I'm building a set of r9TP irons and installed the new grips on the 7 iron and the PW. Label down with two layers of tape. The third grip is going on a backup shaft for my driver.

I'll post some pics and start the review soon.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

I find it a little 'cheap' of Golf Pride, the dominant force in golf grips, to give just 3 grips away to each person. I appreciate that FREE is FREE but to be honest for what they get in return from the testers its a little poor. I appreciate that they've done the same in the Z Grip Align and very possibly others that I've not noticed but even so the actual cost to them is next to nothing and these poor testers are having to re-grip three of their own clubs, messing with the rest of their set so that they aren't matched. Come on Golf Pride give the guys a full 13 grips!

I can't fault their products, but this strikes me as a little Kuchar-ish.

Congrats! I currently play the tour velvets with +1 wrap. Curious for those that add extra tape if you will do the same for just the top half of the grip and leave the bottom half alone without adding an extra layer. I plan on buying these for sure!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

I find it a little 'cheap' of Golf Pride, the dominant force in golf grips, to give just 3 grips away to each person. I appreciate that FREE is FREE but to be honest for what they get in return from the testers its a little poor. I appreciate that they've done the same in the Z Grip Align and very possibly others that I've not noticed but even so the actual cost to them is next to nothing and these poor testers are having to re-grip three of their own clubs, messing with the rest of their set so that they aren't matched. Come on Golf Pride give the guys a full 13 grips!

I can't fault their products, but this strikes me as a little Kuchar-ish.

It was stated that the prizes for the give away were 3 grips for each winner. I wasn't interested in only 3 grips, so, I didn't enter. I think its great that there were 10 winners, and, I look forward to their reviews.

Got mine yesterday and popped them on this morning. If it will ever stop raining, I'll get out and give them a test. They do feel firmer than the CP2 Pros I've been using for a few years.

Thanks to GolfWRX and to Golfpride for the opportunity to review these new grips!

UPDATE:

Got a little range time along with 18 holes yesterday, 70 degrees and sun! Have my three grips (midsize) installed on Driver, 7i, & PW. Really, really like it on my driver. As mentioned earlier, feels a touch firmer than CP2 Pros (midsize). The Tour Velvets are actually a little bigger, which I really like. Feedback was very good and vibration dampening was excellent. Installed mine logo down, which is how used to always install Tour Velvets. A very clean look. Something the CP2's lack. I could see me using them on all my clubs except maybe my sand wedges. SM6's and CP2's feel phenomenally good to me.

Golf Pride has a winner here and I have no problem recommending these to anyone.

Thanks again to Golf Pride and to GolfWRX.

Billy

Srixon ZX5 LS 9.5* Hzrdus Gen 4 Black S

Sim 2 Titanium 15* Kura Kage Silver TiNi S 
Sim 2 Titanium 18* Kura Kage Silver Tini S
Srixon ZX 22* Graphite Design AD DI 75 S
Srixon ZX5 MkII, 5-6, C-Taper Lite S

Srixon ZX7 MkII, 7-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Cleveland RTX6 "Raw Tour Rack" 48*, 54*, 58* Dynamic Gold S400
Odyssey Eleven Tour Lined CS
Hdcp 2.1

Srixon Staff Member

I got my 13 test grips. Too much offset. Not strong enough for my swing speed. Sold them on the bay. Needed some new DG X7’s hardstepped 3x’s.....

Seriously though, I received my 3 test grips yesterday. Going to install them on my gw, 7 and driver and should be able to give them a go tomorrow. Full Review coming soon.

I’ve had a chance over this last weekend to do some testing with mine, and it’s likely that I’ll be ordering 10 more of these for the rest of my clubs.

I never really liked the MCC +4 because the bottom half always felt too soft/too squishy almost. I preferred the standard tour Velvet feel, but I enjoyed the build up on the bottom hand. The TV +4 offers the best of both worlds. To me, its the same exact feel as the standard tour Velvet, just with the thicker bottom hand. They feel great.

The one thing I wish I could change is the writing on the underside of the grip. It looks a bit strange and basically forced you to install logo up. I have no problem going logo up, but some that are picker than me may be turned off by it.

Here's a few pics of the grips installed.

Comparison pics to my Lamkin REL grips.

So far I like how the Tour Velvet Plus 4s feel. They are a little softer than my Lamkin REL grips, but not too soft. I can't stand anything that gets close to the softness of a Winn grip. I haven't dealt with any kind of slipping, but I am hitting inside a simulator in my testing so far. I'll get to hit them outside some on Thursday, so I'll report back. I'm still kind of undecided on size. I think it's ok, but I might pull one and add another layer of tape just to see how it feels.

I agree with what texasdave and Nelly32 have mentioned. I'd rather not have the tour velvet written on the bottom of the grip. I like installing my grips label down so I don't see any writing. For two straight sets, Mizuno has installed mine label up even after requesting label down, so I guess I've gotten somewhat used to seeing the Lamkin logo. Not a deal breaker, but not ideal for me.

I had a long practice session yesterday and had the TV + 4 on my driver, 7 and GW.

I’ve always preferred the texture of Tour Velvets and have played the standard size or undersized. I have small hands (Small Cadet Glove) and never liked the MCC. Last year I tried the TV align but the big red line got visually annoying so I moved back to the TV with a rib.

Looks: The Branding is so over done on this grip. Just on the grip it says “Golf Pride” 4 times!!! “Plus 4” 2 times, Tour Velvet 2 times and the size one. Very different that the traditional simplicity of the Tour Velvet. I prefer a clean look when I look down. So much so I installed the test grips logo RIGHT. See picture below

Feel: They feel great. Classic Tour Velvet feel and in my opinion the lower half is firmer than the MCC + 4 which I thought was too soft.

I really liked the TV +4 on my driver and I will be putting these grips on all my woods.

I might put them on my irons. If they come out with an undersized I would put them on my irons and wedges in a heartbeat.

All in all, I really like them and I think it will be a popular grip but, they are so over branded.

I had a long practice session yesterday and had the TV + 4 on my driver, 7 and GW.

I’ve always preferred the texture of Tour Velvets and have played the standard size or undersized. I have small hands (Small Cadet Glove) and never liked the MCC. Last year I tried the TV align but the big red line got visually annoying so I moved back to the TV with a rib.

Looks: The Branding is so over done on this grip. Just on the grip it says “Golf Pride” 4 times!!! “Plus 4” 2 times, Tour Velvet 2 times and the size one. Very different that the traditional simplicity of the Tour Velvet. I prefer a clean look when I look down. So much so I installed the test grips logo RIGHT. See picture below

Feel: They feel great. Classic Tour Velvet feel and in my opinion the lower half is firmer than the MCC + 4 which I thought was too soft.

I really liked the TV +4 on my driver and I will be putting these grips on all my woods.

I might put them on my irons. If they come out with an undersized I would put them on my irons and wedges in a heartbeat.

All in all, I really like them and I think it will be a popular grip but, they are so over branded.

I installed mine the same way as well.... as you said scripting is a little overdone

TaylorMade Sim Max 9.5*
Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
TaylorMade P790 5-PW
Scotty Cameron 009m
Bridgestone Tour Bx

Did anyone use extra wraps of grip tape?

if so, was it on the whole grip or just half?

any advise for the people installing in the future?

I did two layers. Full grip length.

Might go back and add a third. I’m gonna hit them some first though.

I added two extra wraps under the bottom hand...grips went on pretty easily; much easier then MCC +4

TaylorMade Sim Max 9.5*
Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
TaylorMade P790 5-PW
Scotty Cameron 009m
Bridgestone Tour Bx

I did two layers. Full grip length.

Might go back and add a third. I’m gonna hit them some first though.

Thanks, let us know how it works.. really curious on how your lower hand feels since its 6 extra wraps.

I added two extra wraps under the bottom hand...grips went on pretty easily; much easier then MCC +4

Thank you!

Sorry but i’ve been sick since Sunday, I did install the grips on my driver and wedges on Monday but a sour throat and fever are stoping me from properly test the grip, first impression is very good and I really like the feel of them.

I don’t know if it’s just me or if anyone else got the midsize but the butt sizes feel bigger than the tour wrap midsize.

I’ll give you more info as soon as I can swing a club.

Cheers

Any updates??? Also how is the bottom of the grip is squishy like mcc +4 or is it firmer.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]