Srixon Cleveland one company

rkelso184

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brand recognition perhaps. Cleveland more well known in the US and for wedges. Srixon more known for balls especially overseas.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Same reason why Footjoy and Titleist or Addidas and Taylormade (before they were split apart) have kept their names separate. Brand Recognition.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I think so many people know they're the same company. Also it's not uncommon in golf and other sporting goods either. You have the ones mentioned above but don't forget Callaway, Odyssey and OGIO are all under the same company.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Yeah Cleveland clubs have the perception in America as being a budget brand. Perception is hard to break. A company like Wilson would do well to use this model imo

Budget brand? If you said niche brand known mostly for wedges it would be easy to agree. They have never been a budget brand as I recall.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Yeah Cleveland clubs have the perception in America as being a budget brand. Perception is hard to break. A company like Wilson would do well to use this model imo

Budget brand? If you said niche brand known mostly for wedges it would be easy to agree. They have never been a budget brand as I recall.

For better or worse, their irons have gotten to the point where they are thought of a budget/gimmicky. It's a bit of a shame. The TA5s and TA7s were fantastic game improvement irons. (The TA6's were sneaky good as well.) They had a really good players offering in the TA3 (I believe) Then it felt like they lost their way across the board. They went into hibore hybrid sets and other gimmicky irons. It seemed like the wedge market got a bit more crowded at that time and their overall brand image wasn't as strong. It's hard to be a premium wedge company when your other offerings aren't premium.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

For better or worse, their irons have gotten to the point where they are thought of a budget/gimmicky. It's a bit of a shame. The TA5s and TA7s were fantastic game improvement irons. (The TA6's were sneaky good as well.) They had a really good players offering in the TA3 (I believe) Then it felt like they lost their way across the board. They went into hibore hybrid sets and other gimmicky irons. It seemed like the wedge market got a bit more crowded at that time and their overall brand image wasn't as strong. It's hard to be a premium wedge company when your other offerings aren't premium.

They also lost their golden goose when Roger Cleveland moved to Callaway. I think that may have been the biggest hit to the image.

Considering the parent company for both is Sumitomo Rubber, let’s just keep it separate!

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S))

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 17* (stock HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

RTX ZipCore 52* Mid (DG Tour Issue)

SM9 58-10S (DG)

HiToe 64* (HiRev 2.0)
Eleven CS

Any urethane “X” ball

As a Srixon/Cleveland retailer, pretty much ever since Sumitomo acquired Cleveland, they've positioned Cleveland as their budget or "value" brand. And this is basically their own wording. Except for Cleveland wedges, which really makes it a bit weird as a retailer. We are selling/marketing Cleveland as budget/value in every other category aside from wedges.

As a Srixon/Cleveland retailer, pretty much ever since Sumitomo acquired Cleveland, they've positioned Cleveland as their budget or "value" brand. And this is basically their own wording. Except for Cleveland wedges, which really makes it a bit weird as a retailer. We are selling/marketing Cleveland as budget/value in every other category aside from wedges.

I went to one of their demo days last week and that’s what their rep said. He was showing me the CBX irons and then he brought me a Srixon iron ( I don’t remember the model ). He said they were basically the same except the Srixon was forged. The Srixon definitely felt much softer. My results were pretty similar with both. There was a pretty big difference in price.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I went to one of their demo days last week and that’s what their rep said. He was showing me the CBX irons and then he brought me a Srixon iron ( I don’t remember the model ). He said they were basically the same except the Srixon was forged. The Srixon definitely felt much softer. My results were pretty similar with both. There was a pretty big difference in price.

j

You can definitely see where they are related. They both use the same v-sole and have similar designs. On another board, a lot of guys talk about pairing CBX wedges with their Srixon irons...especially the gap wedge.

But the feeling is what makes the Srixons so great. Cleveland has a tough job of finding place in a crowded market of very good cast GI irons. They just aren't on the top of people's mind anymore when they are shopping for irons.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

Cleveland has a distinctive name and reputation for wedges - don't muddy the brand name. Srixon currently relies on Cleveland for specialty wedges.

Pre-2010, Srixon had a line of specialty wedges such as the WG-504 and WG-706. Not since then. Even within iron models, the Z785 and Z585 offer a PW and GW, but nothing higher. The Z965 stopped at PW, as most players iron models do.

The Golf Channel interviewed the S-C-X CEO at the 2019 PGA Show. CEO Mike Powell explains the distinctions between the three brands: https://www.golfchan...eland-golf-xxio

---------------------

Note: In 2015, Srixon came out with its Z355 (GI) and (SGI) Z155 irons. This was a shortlived bid to reach the full spectrum of golfers. Not sure what happened with the Z155, but the Z355 survived about three years; Srixon, however, never upgraded the Z355 model - it was discontinued. So, Srixon will focus on elite/competitive...

Then boom! Cleveland reentered the mainline club market with new woods and its irons, the GI Launcher CBX and the SGI Launcher HB. I hit the CBX at the St. Louis Golf Expo, and it is a decent iron, with crisp businesslike head design and solid launch feel (...although I would opt for a shaft a bit heavier than the stock one.)

I talked to a top St. Louis area clubfitter who has been able to move the Launcher CBX model. He said several Callaway and TayorMade fans walked in for a fitting, and then after side-by-side tests opted for the Launcher CBX instead.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I completely understand why FJ and titlesit are separate or Callaway and ogio as someone may have a club contract but this way can still wear FJ apparel.

I also understand putters as again people may sign a 13 club contract and by playing a putter without a big club branding isn't as bad as a full ping bag with a Callaway putter.

I'm just stumped on the Cleveland srixon deal as some say Cleveland are budget but why can't srixon just have a broader range of products including starter packs like the Cleveland.

In Aus right now a launcher driver is $399 whilst a srixon z585 is $499

Why not just have a z385 for 399, a z585 for 499 and a z785 for 579.

I understand the issues with having consumers try something new and the transition would be hard but imagine every cleaveland and srixon club, bag, product out there having the one label it would have the affect of there being so much more and so much more popular i feel.

Because Cleveland has brand name recognition in wedges that they could never recover under Srixons name. But as a club company otherwise they got no recognition with great items, something that Srixon has been able to do in a fairly short period of time.

But by just having a Cleveland wedge line would this not fix that issue?

Have your standard srixon wedges

Then have a srixon Cleveland rtx5.0 for example

It's definitely one of the weirdest multi-brand strategies i can think of. I understand the Callaway position of using Odyssey as a strictly "putter" brand for example. Or what Titleist does with Footjoy and Cameron being very similar...

This is strange because Cleveland is 2 things that dont jive....they are a tour caliber wedge-maker, but are basically a "value" brand for everything else.

I can't imagine this continuing for too much longer. Would imagine they do a re-branding of some sort next few years

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I think srixon should come out with a forged line of wedges similar in shape to the clevelands and see how the market reacts.

Dr: LTDx LS 9 Paderson Velocity D20
FW: LTDx 14.5 Accra FX200F m3
FW: Radspeed 18.5 Motore F3 Regular 
Irons: Forged UT 24 hzrdus 5.5; 6-gw Pro 223 5.5 LZ
Wed: RTX-6 56.12 60.06
PT: 2014 Scotty Newport 1/500 custom

Because Cleveland has brand name recognition in wedges that they could never recover under Srixons name. But as a club company otherwise they got no recognition with great items, something that Srixon has been able to do in a fairly short period of time.

But by just having a Cleveland wedge line would this not fix that issue?

Have your standard srixon wedges

Then have a srixon Cleveland rtx5.0 for example

This would be needless duplication - you would lose economies of scale which you achieve by having just one specialty wedge brand with multiple models.

I think srixon should come out with a forged line of wedges similar in shape to the clevelands and see how the market reacts.

Pre-2010, Srixon had a line of specialty wedges such as the WG-504 and WG-706. Not since then. Reviews on the WG series noted they were a rather ho-hum offering.

Golf manufacturers commonly have marketing split-outs into multiple brands.

Examples of budget clubs would be some of the lower-end boxed sets: Callaway owns TopFlite, and Tour Edge has three levels of club brands.

In 2012, TaylorMade bought Adams Golf. Game plan: Adams for recreational golfers, and TM for competitive golfers. Then Adidas in turn sold TM to KPS Capital in 2017. (Along the way, Adams was shut down).

Anyway, back to Srixon-Cleveland. The resurgent Cleveland woods and irons are not budget models as are the boxed sets above. For pricing:

• SGI: Launcher HB (4-AW) = about $900
  • GI: Launcher CBX (4-AW) = about $900

These are clearly not budget models. These offer more general-purpose irons as compared to the Srixon Z-family.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |