High end shoes: How long do you keep them in the rotation

I have several pairs of the first and second generation Adida Adipure Leather shoes. ( retail $240)

There's a pair that I've had probably 5-6 seasons, and while the body and sole are still in great shape, but seem to have lost their support this year.

I've tried some insoles, but I think they're done, unfortunately.

By comparrison, My pro SL's only lasted a year or so.

How long would you expect "Good" shoes to last if you play and practice all year round?

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two years so that's about 100 rounds - mostly walking. After that, they start to look a little ragged and they become my "mudders." I see no reason to make a shoe last longer than that. (wearing Adidas Tour 360 Boosts and Puma Titan Tour Ignite)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I have several pairs of the first and second generation Adida Adipure Leather shoes. ( retail $240)

There's a pair that I've had probably 5-6 seasons, and while the body and sole are still in great shape, but seem to have lost their support this year.

How long would you expect "Good" shoes to last if you play and practice all year round?

The AdiPure were a great shoe. Quality materials in the 1st generation. But once the support is gone, they are done.

Pro SL's are good, but I put them in the same vein as all the other lightweight shoes. One year (maybe two if you don't play much) and then they are ready for the garbage. The Pro's love them, but they get new shoes every couple of weeks.

MCC Align Midsize

The AdiPure were a great shoe. Quality materials in the 1st generation. But once the support is gone, they are done.

Pro SL's are good, but I put them in the same vein as all the other lightweight shoes. One year (maybe two if you don't play much) and then they are ready for the garbage. The Pro's love them, but they get new shoes every couple of weeks.

The adipures are the best, most comfortable golf shoes I ever had. This one pair is done I guess. Still have 3 more thatwerent worn as often.

The SLs are pretty comfy, but they just don’t last that long. Especially for the price.

I play at least once a week, usually twice and the range at least once.

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

The difference between FJ Icons and Adipure is about the same as your SL's to the Adipure.

I try and clean them often, take good care of the leather with shine and wax, and they can feasibly last many years even playing twice a week year round.

I never found the icons that comfortable. Always required a break in period .

Adipures were awesome right out of the box. I guess I should be happy with 5-6 years outta them.

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Mine the leather just wasn't that great of quality.

The Icons may have to be broken in, but they also last.

Also, you might be a narrow if you like the Adipure, so maybe try an E in Icons.

Liked the Icons. Just aren’t a shoe to wear if you are wearing shorts. So my Icons sit in the box 99% of the time.

MCC Align Midsize

I walk exclusively. Wet, dry, all weather.

Before shoes really got crappy, I'd usually get two years out of a pair. (Walking a LOT of rounds.) First year, I'd rotate with the previous years pair. Second year, wear another new pair, along with last years. In third year, or late second, the shoes leaked or became uncomfortable. Replaced spikes as necessary.

Now, shoes are garbage in the first year. I've had "waterproof" shoes leak, within 200 yards of first wear. Golf is now mostly a riding sport. Majority do not walk. Shoes are designed accordingly.

Note: Dunham Sports stores do not honor any warranty. If you wear the shoes once, they refuse to take them back for any reason.

Currently I rotate 6 pair of Dryjoy Tours and 4 pair of Icon Blacks. I wear the Blacks in drier conditions as they have leather inserts on the soles and leather heels. The Tours are for all-weather conditions. They are all over three years old now and going strong. That said I still have 6 pair of Footjoy Classics Dry that I wear every now and then. Some of them are over 15 years old and still going strong. They just aren't as comfortable as the other 2 models. In their day they were very comfortable but technology has passed them by. I've always purchased my shoes two pair at a time so they could be rotated from day one. Buy a good quality shoe, rotate usage, use proper leather care and place in wooden shoe trees after use and it should be easy to get several years out of them.

I have 2 pair of FJ Classics that are about 12 years old; cleaned well and gently after each use and stored with cedar shoe trees. Granted, I only wear them a few times a year, but there's no reason a high quality shoe can't last for a looooooong time. I have a pair of the white/white original Adipure that are still going strong, again, only worn a couple times a year. I have about 25 pair in my rotation, so they all tend to last a fair amount of time; probably 5 years on average. Much longer for the higher quality pairs like G/Fore, Icons, Classics, etc.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

All of the higher end shoes built off of dress shoe platform look a little unusual these days with shorts. I stick to the white ones, or at least white with a contrast saddle when I wear shorts. In my mind the brown Adipure didn't click that box either, for me at least. But, I rotate through a few "athletic" shoes for summer shorts weather in addition to my more classic shoes. The athletic shoes, I've been particular to the Nike Tiger Woods line, I don't really expect too much in the way of longevity. About the same as a pair of sneakers, one maybe two seasons. But, I am like Wriggles and walk 90% or more of my rounds.

I agree with you Matt, my golf shoes built on a more athletic/running shoe model don't last as long. My Pumas (Pwradapt) / Nike's (Lunar Control Vapor and Vapor 2's) / FJ (DNA's and Pro SL) I only hope to get a couple of seasons out of before they just seem worn out and tired, no matter how much you clean them up and take care of them. I've had good luck with Adidas though: Tour360 boosts and even the crossknit boosts seem to wear quite well and last a bit longer.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

I agree with you Matt, my golf shoes built on a more athletic/running shoe model don't last as long. My Pumas (Pwradapt) / Nike's (Lunar Control Vapor and Vapor 2's) / FJ (DNA's and Pro SL) I only hope to get a couple of seasons out of before they just seem worn out and tired, no matter how much you clean them up and take care of them. I've had good luck with Adidas though: Tour360 boosts and even the crossknit boosts seem to wear quite well and last a bit longer.

I just struck a deal with the boss of the household that if I take 4 pairs of old golf shoes to Goodwill then I can buy 1 pair of "athletic" golf shoes for my upcoming travels. I'm one hell of a negotiator. :)

Interesting topic. I've got high end dress shoes that are going on 10 years old and still kicking (no pun intended). Obviously golf shoes endure much more harsh use. For quite a while I wore nothing but Icons and would usually get 2ish seasons out of them. I always used shoe trees and treated them with leather conditioner every could of rounds. Considering the amount of golf I was playing in those days (I'd also teach in them) I always felt i was more than getting my moneys worth.

About 5-6 years ago I switched to the modern sneaker/comfort type golf shoe and was never impressed with how long they lasted. Most of the time I was buying two pair of the same shoe as I'd burn through two a season. Last year early in the season I bought a pair of sketchers and they were the worst pair of shoes (golf or other wise) I have ever owned. About a month into ownership one of the seams started to rip apart. Sketchers owned it and sent me a new pair but I donated them to a local junior golf program. Immediately bought a pair of G/Fore Galivators. They're amazing. Wore them about half of last season and they still look almost new. No reason I shouldn't be able to play this season and well into next with them.

Currently I rotate 6 pair of Dryjoy Tours and 4 pair of Icon Blacks. I wear the Blacks in drier conditions as they have leather inserts on the soles and leather heels. The Tours are for all-weather conditions. They are all over three years old now and going strong. That said I still have 6 pair of Footjoy Classics Dry that I wear every now and then. Some of them are over 15 years old and still going strong. They just aren't as comfortable as the other 2 models. In their day they were very comfortable but technology has passed them by. I've always purchased my shoes two pair at a time so they could be rotated from day one. Buy a good quality shoe, rotate usage, use proper leather care and place in wooden shoe trees after use and it should be easy to get several years out of them.

I have 2 pair of FJ Classics that are about 12 years old; cleaned well and gently after each use and stored with cedar shoe trees. Granted, I only wear them a few times a year, but there's no reason a high quality shoe can't last for a looooooong time. I have a pair of the white/white original Adipure that are still going strong, again, only worn a couple times a year. I have about 25 pair in my rotation, so they all tend to last a fair amount of time; probably 5 years on average. Much longer for the higher quality pairs like G/Fore, Icons, Classics, etc.

10 pairs. 25 pairs. I think my spouse would have fit if I had that many pairs of golf shoes. They must feel neglected sitting in the closet for months at a time waiting for their turn. :)

MCC Align Midsize

2 years or less if I get tired of looking at them. Realistically new shoe styles each year means new shoes each year. Not exactly a big expenditure.

$200 + is a big expenditure for some....especially for something that doesn’t last.....

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

2 years or less if I get tired of looking at them. Realistically new shoe styles each year means new shoes each year. Not exactly a big expenditure.

$200 + is a big expenditure for some....especially for something that doesn’t last.....

That's for sure. Just ask Robert Kraft.

MCC Align Midsize

That's for sure. Just ask Robert Kraft.

LOL...he can afford it...

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

One idea...cedar shoe trees. if you're spending money on high end shoes, then shelling out for some of these would be well worth your while. My brother in law has still has some late 60's FJ Classics that are in terrific condition. He keeps them in cedar shoe trees; they pull out extra moisture. He also cleans/polishes them on the regular. Basically, treating them like an expensive pair of dress shoes.

Second idea, rotate your pairs. Don't play two days or rounds consecutively with the same pairs. Clean them and allow to dry completely before gaming them again. Also, based on my experience, I would strongly suggest to designate a "range-only" if you can. Think about it, you're subjecting the shoes to full-swing forces from 60 to 120 times. For an average player, that could be about 3-rounds' worth of wear in one practice session, without any walking in between

TaylorMade M4 (9.5*) -- w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+60 (X-stiff)
TaylorMade M1 3HL (17*) -- w/ UST Mamiya Proforce V2 7F4 (stiff)
Titleist 913F (19*) - Mitsubishi Diamana BB S+ 72 (stiff)
TaylorMade Tour Preferred (4-PW) -- w/ TT Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey SM6 M Grind (54*) 
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind (60*)
Odyssey Stroke Lab - One - w/ Super Stroke Flatso 2.0

One idea...cedar shoe trees. if you're spending money on high end shoes, then shelling out for some of these would be well worth your while. My brother in law has still has some late 60's FJ Classics that are in terrific condition. He keeps them in cedar shoe trees; they pull out extra moisture. He also cleans/polishes them on the regular. Basically, treating them like an expensive pair of dress shoes.

Second idea, rotate your pairs. Don't play two days or rounds consecutively with the same pairs. Clean them and allow to dry completely before gaming them again. Also, based on my experience, I would strongly suggest to designate a "range-only" if you can. Think about it, you're subjecting the shoes to full-swing forces from 60 to 120 times. For an average player, that could be about 3-rounds' worth of wear in one practice session, without any walking in between

Yeah, already been using cedar shoe trees for years.

And I do rotate my shoes, although I must say I don't have a designated range pair.

I have 4 pair of the original Adipure leather, but one is about done ( white with brown stripes) since I really wore those the most. I have black/white stripes, tobacco/white stripes and Caramel (reddish Brown) that I've only worn on course a few times since they're so nice and don't really go with shorts or muddy days.

Just from the feedback in this thread, it seems the expected lifespan is 2-3 years if you play year around and take care of them properly. Some may get a year or 2 more if they are able to rotate more pairs.

It seems that good leather shoes used to last longer than they do these days, at least the support. My white/brown Adipures look pretty good, it's just that my feet are sore at the end go the round walking now and they did used to be.

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

I never do anything other than walk and usually get over 100 rounds a year without little issue - I would say it's fair to say that I get about 5 years out of a top end shoe. To be fair, I have have had a minimum of 4 pairs on the go at any one time and I am sitting at 7 pairs at the moment although after this winter season the oldest pair of those will be done.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I walk about 40 rounds a year, ride another 15-20. I have the Nike Vapor II's, Roshes and an old pair of Lunar Control 4's that may already be toast. Rotate 2-3 pairs each year and they last me 2-3 years. If I were to use one pair exclusively, they'd last me the season and maybe 3 months into the following season if I put in new spikes.