Have you ever had the feeling....

Pooh_Bear

that you're basically cattle being led to a slaughter in a match? Club match play event, full handicap, and I'm going up against a 14 who shot even gross in his first match and closed the guy out after nine holes. Was nine up and the guy didn't bother going down ten since he was giving a shot. I've seen his scores on GHIN and I've been told he's had his career round but sometimes you just have a feeling. He's getting 11 blows from me this coming weekend. Wish me luck lol.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve seen it both ways. I played a guy that was supposed to be a 14 and he hit his 3 wood farther than my driver dead center every time. And he could putt, had short game, etc. He beat me badly.

I played a guy as a 14 and I shot what would have been about an 80 if we had finished, and he spent the entire match complaining that there was no way I was a 14 handicap and how the matches are annoying because people sandbag. If anything, my 14 was a vanity handicap at that point. I just had a really good round. It happens.

that you're basically cattle being led to a slaughter in a match? Club match play event, full handicap, and I'm going up against a 14 who shot even gross in his first match and closed the guy out after nine holes. Was nine up and the guy didn't bother going down ten since he was giving a shot. I've seen his scores on GHIN and I've been told he's had his career round but sometimes you just have a feeling. He's getting 11 blows from me this coming weekend. Wish me luck lol.

No way a 14 shoots even over 18..... Can happen over nine, but then reality will hit......

I've played front 9's @ par or +1 or 2 (& once was -2), but then the back nine did me in......

From your post it appears that the even par was through 9?

Just go out and play. Expectations will kill your game before you tee off. I played a match recently with some good buddies I do business with. It was a 2 on 1, where I gave one guy 12 strokes and the other guy 9. They should have beaten me handily, but instead they both played horribly, and I shot 75. Ended on the 16th.

You never know what version of your golfing-self will show up that day.

Channel your anger into playing better golf. You can use this mentality to create an "us vs. them" way of thinking that really focuses your attention.

"Use the force"

Or, you could just enjoy the walk :golfer:

He's not angry. He's just questioning the other guy's ethics.

I agree that he's not angry. I'm suggesting he use a mental trick for motivation & focus for the task at hand.

Or do as I posted in another thread....

Fart in his backswing on the first hole. If it works out for you, repeat on every tee shot until he threatens to beat you physically with his wedge.

Or try what David Feherty suggested: Wear all white shoes, stand close to your opponent, and then just slightly move one foot while they swing. And then do it again later in the round...Or do you??? :taunt:

No way a 14 shoots even over 18..... Can happen over nine, but then reality will hit......

I've played front 9's @ par or +1 or 2 (& once was -2), but then the back nine did me in......

This is correct. It was for nine holes. I appreciate all the posts lol. Believe me I'm not worried either way. I will go out and have a good time regardless. He's 75 years old. He's not a bagger from what I've been told just had one of those days. Seems like a real nice guy from the two seconds I've talked to him. I'm a new member at the club and don't know anybody. My first round match was against a 4 cap so I only had to give one blow. My game is bomber, long and wrong. I intend to blow it 100 yards by him on the first hole. If that doesn't get in his head maybe I'm toast. A 15 is waiting for whoever wins our match so there's only so many bullets you can dodge in a tourney like this. It's all in good fun. The real club championship is next month so I think I'll have a better shot then. I'm really looking forward to the match though.

Just go out and play. Expectations will kill your game before you tee off. I played a match recently with some good buddies I do business with. It was a 2 on 1, where I gave one guy 12 strokes and the other guy 9. They should have beaten me handily, but instead they both played horribly, and I shot 75. Ended on the 16th.

You never know what version of your golfing-self will show up that day.

I'm less than an hour from you. Do you play any FSGA events?

I totally agree with this. I'm between a 12 and 14 at any given point in a year. I can pretty regularly string together 4 or 5 really good holes (like even or +1) and on a really good day put together a good 9 hole score (say +3). But I'm a 13 for a reason and it will show over 18 holes. A string of bogeys and doubles mixed together for about 6 holes (or a 6 on a par 3) usually takes care of any really good stretch of holes for me. I've seen some mid-caps shoot some good 9 hole scores and take down a low-capper before but almost never on an 18 hole match.

Ping G400 LST 8.5*
Ping G400 3W
Srixon Z U85 3 & 4 
Srixon Z585 5-AW
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* & 58*
Odyssey Black Series TD #1W

Play but dont think you are in a hole. Did that once and it cost me. Next time i didnt and watched the guy melt.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

As for the “blow it 100 yards past him” strategy...

I played an 86 year old man with a 27 cap once. He had one of the ugliest swings I’ve ever seen and hit his driver about 120-150...dead straight every time. I was 100 yds past him but he didn’t care. He hit his hybrid 100 yds and it never got more than 6 ft off the ground. Every hole was driver-hybrid-hybrid, two putt (bogey), or one putt par. This day he probably shot gross 85 and with 27 cap and all of the extra strokes he killed me.

Point being, I thought that my 250+ yard drives and wedges into greens would make it tough on him mentally. He didn’t care...just played “old man golf” all day and kicked my rear.

As for the "blow it 100 yards past him" strategy...

I played an 86 year old man with a 27 cap once. He had one of the ugliest swings I've ever seen and hit his driver about 120-150...dead straight every time. I was 100 yds past him but he didn't care. He hit his hybrid 100 yds and it never got more than 6 ft off the ground. Every hole was driver-hybrid-hybrid, two putt (bogey), or one putt par. This day he probably shot gross 85 and with 27 cap and all of the extra strokes he killed me.

Point being, I thought that my 250+ yard drives and wedges into greens would make it tough on him mentally. He didn't care...just played "old man golf" all day and kicked my rear.

This is pretty much what I'm expecting with his game. He's 75 or so, I'm thinking he probably tops out 220 but straight. Doesn't seem to be the type to make a bunch of doubles or worse. If he is I might as well not show up. I need a guy who bogeys the course to death. A 12 bogey six par round I feel I have a decent shot of winning. 14 and 4 would be better.

Baaaad situation. (Kick his a** anyways Pooh Bear!)

But you've got to play.

And you can't be a lil Bih about it. Sadly as it is it will reflect poorly on your if you are. Pretend you're braver than you are it will pay off big time later, I promise!

You can absolutely FIGHT back though even if he is bagging like Loki himself or if he is improving incredibly things you can do to fight

Be nonchalant because ain't shite he can take from you nothing!

Shoot a good round put SOME pressure on him.

Make as many pars as possible.

Stay in the hole as long as possible you'll see him exposed if he has some pressure on him.

Another effective strategy here is to get OTHERS talking about how incredibly sandy this dude is and how crazy it will be if he comes anywhere NEAR his performance in the last match. Insight the convo but try and stay above it. Not at all gentlemanly but aye sometimes that's how we fight. And all this is really is just a phallic clash it ultimately doesn't mean much.

A tactic that can be utilized during the match

Pretend you really respect his career round last week how clutch he ALWAYS is, how hard he practices etc all. Remember you're peers and he has already given you the dominant position by the normal scores he posts for himself.

(Maybe) Talk about how others in the event don't even care about winning/preparing etc all then start asking questions about his normal group level of play etc all. Baggers often feel this way and it is a good way to draw them out.

If he loosens up he may reveal himself to be a genuinely nice guy OR he may reveal himself to be a dirtbag sandbagger. But he will have told you to your face and you'll get some satisfaction from that.

Fight though and don't let anyone else aside from us know your being lead to slaughter.

The facts of the case aren't even going to matter and we won't know them until after a few more matches anyways. It's really embarrasing when the biggest sandbagger in the world has you psyched out and then shoots 86-90 in the next 2 matches and you realize your average score would've given him a game.

Here's a lil story that happened to me once a few years back

Biggest $$$ medal play event of our year coming down 17 day 2 I was a newish 7 cap and scratching and clawing for a 78-82 after a decent day 1 every shot was huge in my mind.

One of the golfers in my group mid 50's short straight hitter, tidy short game very experienced and a 14 cap or so. His son is still a club pro golfer you know the type.

Anyways he was cruising to an easy 80-82 or something we'd just avoided water on the right on 17 and 18 was a straightforward par 5 he never missed fairways he was incredibly buoyant and started talking a lil shite to me even though we were in different divisions.

I actually said something cool in real time LOL!

"Look, you can either be good or you can win but you can't do both."

LMAO he STFU after that one. You can do it!

Shouldn't be a problem for you.

After all, you've been playing golf for longer than Jordan Spieth has been alive.

Every summer my town puts together a team to play matches against a nearby town's team. One year its here, the next it's there. Well last year I qualified for the team for the first time; I was elated. Last year the matches were at their course; its far enough away to justify a hotel so I got one. The course it was at is one of those old-school super tight courses with trees everywhere (not good for my game!!!) and I've never played it before... unfortunately they don't allow practice rounds since it's a private course.

I Drove down the night before, went to the banquet. Got up the next morning and drove to the course. We had had quite a bit of rain in the days leading up to the matches... Well right before the tee times were to start... The heavens absolutely opened up. After the captains consulted the club staff, they decided to postpone.

Fast forward several weeks to the reschedule date. More rain and more rain. I drive down (about an hour and a half) to a course that is very wet. So wet in fact that they aren't allowing us to hit balls before the round. So there I am, been in the car for an hour and a half, haven't played for over a week because of work/the weather, on a course that doesn't fit my game and that I've never played before.

Not a good set up for me to be successful. I putted a lot and hit some chips and putts. I tried my best to loosen up but it wasn't working. THEN I met my opponent. He's a +2 and worked maintenance at the course for well over a decade. He's played it several hundred times. I normally have a pretty good mental game but I stepped on the first tee knowing I'd already lost.

I started with 4 straight bogeys..which actually wasn't that bad considering I was so stiff and out of sync. Of course he parred all 4. Finally on hole 4 I made my first par, he birdied. 5 down 5 holes in. Hole 6 I finally made a birdie, so did he. Then he birdied 2 more holes, I made 2 pars. 7 down on hole 8. By this time I knew I had to get after it every shot. I made another bogey and he made a long par putt. I made the turn down 8.

The match ended on 11 green.

Luckily he was a cool guy and we started buying each other beers as we played out the last few holes.

I was definitely cattle being led to slaughter that day!

Nothing like having a couple too many vodka gimlets the night before a big match. Post drinking shakes started around an hour ago. Had a baileys and coffee. Think I'll make a bloody for the shower. I'll take some xanax and I'll be good to go. Played 8 holes last night and besides putting like helen keller, which is normal for me, it didn't go too bad. Will report back.

Nothing like having a couple too many vodka gimlets the night before a big match. Post drinking shakes started around an hour ago. Had a baileys and coffee. Think I'll make a bloody for the shower. I'll take some xanax and I'll be good to go. Played 8 holes last night and besides putting like helen keller, which is normal for me, it didn't go too bad. Will report back.

Ugh that sounds awful

Jesus sounds like that movie where Denzel is the airline pilot

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying