Iron head covers! Yay or Nay?

GL3

Forged clubs or black cast clubs get them period. I can’t stand hearing sticks slamming together while driving the cart around. The little neoprene ones work just fine. It doesn’t extend or slow down a round any more than taking off a Fwy cover for a par 5. And it most certainly does keep clubs looking better longer.

I ALWAYS (unless playing partners ball is nearby) hit my shot, hop in the cart with my club, and wipe down/recover on the way to the next ball/shot.

I’ll do what I want to my clubs and if anyone has a problem on the course with headcovers they can step up if they think it slows the round down. No ones said squat yet. Iron covers and staff bags are the “2019 politics” of golf on this forum and have always been LOL.

Cobra F9 TL 10.5 Atmos Black 7x
Cobra F8+ 3/4 &/or 5/6 Tour Blue 85x
Cobra F8 2H Element EarthX &/or Cobra F9 4H PX6.5
Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0
Ping Stealth 2.0 50/54/58 LZ 6.0

Some form of a Scotty, Betti, Spider

Protect my $1k investment? Hell yes!

I don't give a rat's A&& what other people think about it.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Personally, I don't like them at all. That being said, I always use a good 14-way bag to stop chatter and stay organized.

I don't mind some bag chatter but iron covers are ridiculous to me and 4/5 way dividers are a pain for sticking clubs and bag chatter.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

I cant live with out them. Walking, clanking, chattering, denting, just bug the S out of me. So I primarily do it for that, but then when you pull the iron out and it looks as good as when you spent 1K plus, you know they are spot on great. I don't really care if they match the bag per say, just go neutral as stated above black are great for the dirt etc...

This. I first bought covers when I bought my mp 67's brand new. Solved my worry about bag chatter and removed my hate for the sound of clubs clanking all down the fairway. I had tried a towel, and that does work some to reduce the noise.

I'm pretty surprised with all the "yes" responses. Very un-wrx like imo.

Don’t be this is a club enthusiasts site and these sticks continue to be more and more expensive. A good set of new forged irons are well north of 1k. For me at least that means showing exceptional care and pride for my clubs. Last I checked not a single person who has purchased from me on BST has ever had a complaint. When I’m ready to move on from a club or set and I can sell well cared for super clean equipment. Really takes the sting out of my next purchase. Hey, some folks have unlimited resources and simply don’t care that’s fine too!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Do all you headcover guys intentionally not take divots every time you swing? Banging the ground with the iron is going to beat the club up. Simple as that. I don’t beat the ground with my driver or putter.

When you play a ball off a cartpath do you just cry or faint?

If you’re dedicated enough to miss the ground intentionally when you swing, then absolutely use iron headcovers. If you’re willing to use the irons the way they were designed, to hit down on the ball and take a divot, iron headcovers are just another way to slow down a round.

And what is all this “resell” talk? Why not just get fit for the correct clubs in the first place? I don’t have to worry about looks or resale value because I bought clubs fit to me.

I personally would never even consider iron covers, but I'm more of a "whatever floats your boat" kind of person, as long as it doesn't adversely affect me (I'm certainly not waiting on someone to trudge back to find their lost "gap wedge cover"). But I also find it ironic that the same folks that use iron head covers are some of the same folks that talk about the importance of how a club looks from any angle other than address when purchasing. As vain as it is, I wouldn't buy irons or wedges that look hideous in my bag. But I couldn't care less how the soles of my woods look, because they're sitting under a cover all round!

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

Do all you headcover guys intentionally not take divots every time you swing? Banging the ground with the iron is going to beat the club up. Simple as that. I don’t beat the ground with my driver or putter.

If you’re dedicated enough to miss the ground intentionally when you swing, then absolutely use iron headcovers. If you’re willing to use the irons the way they were designed, to hit down on the ball and take a divot, iron headcovers are just another way to slow down a round.

And what is all this “resell” talk? Why not just get fit for the correct clubs in the first place? I don’t have to worry about looks or resale value because I bought clubs fit to me.

You are entitled to your opinion 100% but I think it’s a stretch to say guys like myself are somehow scared to play our clubs. What’s that all about? What does a simple headcover have to do with using a golf club in play? Golf is a hobby for many of us so using or trying different equipment can be fun. Who said it’s not properly fit? So many holes in your reasoning it’s confusing. BB

Do all you headcover guys intentionally not take divots every time you swing? Banging the ground with the iron is going to beat the club up. Simple as that. I don't beat the ground with my driver or putter.

If you're dedicated enough to miss the ground intentionally when you swing, then absolutely use iron headcovers. If you're willing to use the irons the way they were designed, to hit down on the ball and take a divot, iron headcovers are just another way to slow down a round.

And what is all this "resell" talk? Why not just get fit for the correct clubs in the first place? I don't have to worry about looks or resale value because I bought clubs fit to me.

Afraid to hit clubs? Take a divot? The only wear marks on my custom fit irons are on the soles and the faces, where they should be. I can and have actually played of the cart path, though considering I hit 75% of my fairways it isn't required often.

I also rarely take a practice swing, so I'll wager I'm out of the cart, lasered the distance and played my shot AND have removed/replaced my headcover after brushing off the dirt. By the time you have taken you're likely, 5 practice swings, reset up twice and Sergio your grip, I'm already putting for birdie.

Because some people take care of their toys shouldn't bother you at all.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

May just be me, but there is something majestic about the sound of irons clicking in your bag when you’re walking around the course. So for that reason (and others) I do not use iron covers on the course. I do, however, use them while transporting my clubs in my Jeep, traveling, etc. (except for my MP69s cause they’re already beat up). No judgement either way though. If you want your clubs to keep resell value then use them.

I’m over 50 and a hack and use them because I love when my partner has to wait until I clean them with a towel after I chunk a 5 iron 50 metres and I put the cover back on and hop in the cart and move to my ball and repeat the process.

awesome

don't really care if anyone uses them

but slow play is really great for the game lol

Yadi for President

Do all you headcover guys intentionally not take divots every time you swing? Banging the ground with the iron is going to beat the club up. Simple as that. I don't beat the ground with my driver or putter.

If you're dedicated enough to miss the ground intentionally when you swing, then absolutely use iron headcovers. If you're willing to use the irons the way they were designed, to hit down on the ball and take a divot, iron headcovers are just another way to slow down a round.

And what is all this "resell" talk? Why not just get fit for the correct clubs in the first place? I don't have to worry about looks or resale value because I bought clubs fit to me.

I dunno about you, but I don't play golf on a goat track.

And I don't play off the cart path, since I don't do this for a living.

• Like 1

Amen! I will gladly take an unplayable.

• Like 1

Amen! I will gladly take a uplayable. No biggie!
  • Like 1

I'd put our course up against several private and most public courses in the region.

We, well I, have play off the cart path if we're playing serious golf and it's better than where had to drop, but only had to like 4 times in 30+ years of golf. Each shot came off nicely too. One battle scar that will be remembered. Like a Seve shot of your own.

Play it off the path it's where it lies, if you can :golfer:

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I would never use them, and would ridicule you constantly if you do and we happened to get paired together! But seriously, it's your stuff, do whatever you want with it.

Just make sure if you are using them this doesn't happen to you:

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Just make sure if you are using them this doesn't happen to you:

CPG's post round interviews are always awesome, but on this particular topic I can't help but think of the tape dispenser cozie from this classic SNL piece: https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/anal-retentive-chef/n9695 (worth the entire watch, but 2:50 is the bit I'm talking about.)

^That's like the people that only use them for air travel. The only rattling around they do is when you're actually out walking around or carting with them. They hardly rattle at all during travel.

If you don't believe me, throw your clubs in the backseat and listen when you drive; compare that to the sound of the rattling when you're huffing it around the course.

• 3 months later...

Iron head covers is like putting plastic bags around the wheels of your car when not driving it.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?