I don't want to quit golf...

lhhoff

I have been struggling with making any type of decent contact for probably about a year now. Tops, shanks, you name it. I'm at the range 2-3 times a week and I just cannot get any type of consistency in my swing. I'm on the verge of hanging the clubs up because it's just not fun to go to the range and shank/top 75% of the balls, much less pay for a green fee to shank it around the course. Can anyone provide some guidance?

Okay swing - DTL https://www.youtube....h?v=Q1o6VRs0rjM

Okay swing - Face On https://www.youtube....h?v=t7SpPnss3EM

Bad swing - DTL https://www.youtube....h?v=3E38lRj8Zoo

Bad swing - Face On https://www.youtube....h?v=Hi5UlHyIRX0

Driver - https://www.youtube....h?v=UD0oosPH5jc

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you taken any videos of your practice swing? I’m curious how those look compared to these videos. It looks like you’re ‘impact minded’ (which is easy to do when you’re not striking the ball well) based on how your hips pause thru impact. IMO if you focused more on your finish -or what I bet your swing looks like without a ball present- you’ll have solid results.

The brains a funny thing.

Have you taken any videos of your practice swing? I’m curious how those look compared to these videos. It looks like you’re ‘impact minded’ (which is easy to do when you’re not striking the ball well) based on how your hips pause thru impact. IMO if you focused more on your finish -or what I bet your swing looks like without a ball present- you’ll have solid results.

The brains a funny thing.

Thanks for the reply, Michael! I don't have any videos of practice swings at the range but here's one I took just messing around in the house the other day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJdbKjylDss

If I am "impact minded" are there any drills you recommend to fix that?

I see a few things, but honestly...I think you'd be better off just going to visit a teaching pro for a half hour lesson. The club is getting super vertical at takeaway and then you're trying to drop it in. Your hips seem a bit off. The sequencing of the downswing seems off.

First thing is work on, if you're not going to go take a lesson, is to try and add width to your takeaway... Meaning... Keep that club head closer to the ground as it comes back, instead of taking it straight up to the sky right away.

An idea is to take your setup and just turn your belly button away from the target to start the back swing. The rest should follow suit.

But again.... Take an in person lesson.

I see a few things, but honestly...I think you'd be better off just going to visit a teaching pro for a half hour lesson. The club is getting super vertical at takeaway and then you're trying to drop it in. Your hips seem a bit off. The sequencing of the downswing seems off.

First thing is work on, if you're not going to go take a lesson, is to try and add width to your takeaway... Meaning... Keep that club head closer to the ground as it comes back, instead of taking it straight up to the sky right away.

An idea is to take your setup and just turn your belly button away from the target to start the back swing. The rest should follow suit.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll start looking at taking a lesson if things continue to get worse. Today I tried working on adding width to the takeaway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WvS9RhyWh8

Thanks for the advice! I’ll start looking at taking a lesson if things continue to get worse. Today I tried working on adding width to the takeaway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WvS9RhyWh8

That actually looks better already! How did it feel? Can you see a difference when you look at the video?

Take the advice NOW. A good instructor should be able to fix you fairly quickly. I was way more broken than you are and 30 minutes with a good Pro showed me where I was I where I should be. Then we made a strategy to fix it. I would never had been able to fix it on my own and I know a lot about the swing.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

That actually looks better already! How did it feel? Can you see a difference when you look at the video?

Today was a bit better than it has been. Still some tops and shanks out there. The takeaway feels good but I still feel cramped at impact like I’m standing up and flipping the face closed.

Take the advice NOW. A good instructor should be able to fix you fairly quickly. I was way more broken than you are and 30 minutes with a good Pro showed me where I was I where I should be. Then we made a strategy to fix it. I would never had been able to fix it on my own and I know a lot about the swing.

You’re absolutely right. I’ve just been holding out hoping I could fix it on my own. Would you recommend I use an online service first like Monte’s or Chris Ryan’s? I’ll start looking around for some local instructors as well. I’m in the East Bay Area about 15 minutes east of Oakland if anyone can recommend an instructor.

Today was a bit better than it has been. Still some tops and shanks out there. The takeaway feels good but I still feel cramped at impact like I’m standing up and flipping the face closed.

Yeah face certainly looks a bit closed, which is why that ball launched so low. But I like how the backswing looks compared to the other videos you posted. Have you seen the Power Package Golf training tool? Seems like it would be a positive decide for you I use it a lot myself. Take a look at the videos. Helps you get into all the correct positions. And of course I'd highly suggest a 30 minute lesson as well.

You’re absolutely right. I’ve just been holding out hoping I could fix it on my own. Would you recommend I use an online service first like Monte’s or Chris Ryan’s? I’ll start looking around for some local instructors as well. I’m in the East Bay Area about 15 minutes east of Oakland if anyone can recommend an instructor.

I'd say an in person instructor is much better than an online guy. Then you can ask questions and get real time interaction and answers. I don't know any instructors out there unfortunately. I'm sure there's a thread somewhere with guys in your area that could make a recommendation.

Face to face. One of the big things I see, is weight on your right side as soon as you take it away and the corresponding reverse pivot. Dead from there. I good Pro will get you set up correctly and build from there. My pro only shows gives me what I need to know. For example he showed me my setup and where I was at the top and at impact. Then he showed my where I should be. Fixing the setup was key to anything else he told me. Fixed me in 30 minutes. Of course it took me over a year to do it all without him whacking me with a 5 iron every 30 seconds. I was a 4 hcp that couldn't break 90 before he worked with me. I got it back to a 4, so there is hope if I can be fixed.

MCC Align Midsize

2/24 update:

-Continued adding width to takeaway

-Worked on reverse pivot by trying to stay centered in the backswing

-Tried to keep wrists from flipping/rolling at impact. Use body rotation to square up the club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwdD9jN9Ijk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yZFhp5eo40

Swing felt a lot better today. Thanks for all of the advice so far.

You need to extend in the backswing and regain flex in the downswing. You are doing the opposite.

Jeff, could you be a bit more specific? I just want to be sure I'm clear on what you're saying. Are you talking about extending and regaining flex in the legs?

Spine and hips.

In the backswing you bend more as you turn, which is why your head lowers as you go back. Then on the downswing you "stand up" or extend well before impact.

Think more sternum facing the sky in the backswing and the ground in the downswing.

Regaining flex in downswing will give you room to swing through instead of forcing hands outwards to the ball which results in heel and shank hits.

It will take some getting used to. You will be in a very different spot trying to hit the ball, so go slow, 1/2 speed swings.

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

I will say this again. See a Professional. Stop listening to advice that may or may not be helping (I get the irony - feel free to ignore my observation). Get in front of a real Pro and get it fixed right - the first time.

MCC Align Midsize

I will say this again. See a Professional. Stop listening to advice that may or may not be helping (I get the irony - feel free to ignore my observation). Get in front of a real Pro and get it fixed right - the first time.

I 100% agree with this guy. I pretty much had the same issues as you and after 1 lesson and a week of work my swing changed a lot for the better. We had similar issues and once you find the root cause you'll be surprised that the other issues work themselves out. Go see a reputable teacher.

I have been struggling with making any type of decent contact for probably about a year now. Tops, shanks, you name it. I'm at the range 2-3 times a week and I just cannot get any type of consistency in my swing. I'm on the verge of hanging the clubs up because it's just not fun to go to the range and shank/top 75% of the balls, much less pay for a green fee to shank it around the course. Can anyone provide some guidance?

Okay swing - DTL https://www.youtube....h?v=Q1o6VRs0rjM

Okay swing - Face On https://www.youtube....h?v=t7SpPnss3EM

Bad swing - DTL https://www.youtube....h?v=3E38lRj8Zoo

Bad swing - Face On https://www.youtube....h?v=Hi5UlHyIRX0

Driver - https://www.youtube....h?v=UD0oosPH5jc

Hi, I would get yourself a 2m length of yachting rope at least 2 cm thick, fold it in half, and practice swinging the rope over your left shoulder and then over your right shoulder in a continuous movement. Your video shows a much too dominant left arm causing an issue with your takeaway and shoulder rotation. This continuous movement will also help your weight transference,as you seem to have too much weight on your right side at the top of the backswing.

What are your goals? This is a pretty good swing... you should be able to shoot even, as it is. There are guys on tour with worse swings.

Taylormade M4 10°, Oban Revenge

Yonex eZone St 15º, Oban Revenge

Tour Edge CB4 19°, Tour AD
Mizuno MP-20 MMC, 4-PW, $ Taper
Callaway Jaws, 50º, 55º, & 60º, KBS Tour
Taylormade Spider