Callaway ERC Soft

erock9174

I got a demo sleeve of these and liked them.

Long with great trajectory and nice feel on shorter irons.

My proshop said these are supersofts with a slightly firmer feel.

Generally, I play Chromesoft truvis in season and the supersoft when it is colder than 55 degrees.

At $40/dozen, I am not sure where the ERC fits in.

I am not sure is can replace the Chromesoft for distance/feel in season.

With supersofts at $35/2dozen, the ERC is not that good to play in the winter.

All that being said, I miss the chevron, and don't like any lines on the ball that I didn't put on.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

I generally play the Chrome Soft but thought these might be a good winter alternative. Our greens get very grabby in the winter and the CS has almost too much spin.

Seemed like a better quality Supersoft, plenty long off the tee and seemed to launch fairly high off the irons. I found it pretty disappointing around the greens, though. I obviously expected more run out on chips and pitches, but these just wanted to run. I was consistently long and the “one hop and stop” shot that I use a lot was just not going to happen.

To me, it’s a $25 ball in a $40 box. When you can buy last year’s CS for the same price, I don’t quite see buying the inferior ball just because it’s got lines on it.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I generally play the Chrome Soft but thought these might be a good winter alternative. Our greens get very grabby in the winter and the CS has almost too much spin.

Seemed like a better quality Supersoft, plenty long off the tee and seemed to launch fairly high off the irons. I found it pretty disappointing around the greens, though. I obviously expected more run out on chips and pitches, but these just wanted to run. I was consistently long and the “one hop and stop” shot that I use a lot was just not going to happen.

To me, it’s a $25 ball in a $40 box. When you can buy last year’s CS for the same price, I don’t quite see buying the inferior ball just because it’s got lines on it.

I agree. Not sure the market for these balls and price point. Other than the lines which are unique not sure why you would pay $40 for these.

Hmmmmmm now you've got me thinking....so not much better than supersoft....dang .....I'm hitting it well and longer with irons than CS.....more exploration to but done I guess

I played nine holes with this ball yesterday (Thanks TB) and I have to say I came away impressed. I’m not a big spin player so that does t effect me greatly.

I loved the feel of it, both off the full clubs and the putter. It appeared to be plenty long, although it’s difficult to tell this time of year for sure. It did appear to launch high (which I want). I’ll be looking forward to trying it out in more normal conditions.

I played nine holes with this ball yesterday (Thanks TB) and I have to say I came away impressed. I’m not a big spin player so that does t effect me greatly.

I loved the feel of it, both off the full clubs and the putter. It appeared to be plenty long, although it’s difficult to tell this time of year for sure. It did appear to launch high (which I want). I’ll be looking forward to trying it out in more normal conditions.

I've played it exclusively for past 63 holes.....I've hit 51 greens in that time....high, long(for me) a plenty of spin into the greens

#GAMER

After reading the ERC was Callaway's longest ball and low compression I got a sleeve for my wife to test.

She is distance challenged but has an extremely tidy short game. We've tried most balls for her and she had been using Callaway Super Softs which was a decent enough ball for her however control on the greens was issue.

Surprisingly its turned out that the best performing ball for her was Titlesit DT TruSoft. Not quite as long as the Supersoft but close enough however it spins so much better from 50 metres in.

We played 18 holes yesterday and for the first 9 holes she used the DT TruSoft up against the ERC. With the driver the ERC was consistently 7 to 12 metres shorter than the Titleist.

Quite surprising considering what I had read.

Results may vary with different players of course, but actually I was quite shocked given Callaway's hype.

Edit: corrected. My bad. I should really check before I post. Sorry about that!

Thought I should update this earlier post of mine.

I played a round this week with a fellow PGA senior tour pro (Australia) who I've played a lot of golf with and was surprised when he teed it up with an ERC soft.

I've got to say the ball was impressive. He remarked that it really wasn't much different for him than his usual ball the Chrome Soft.

We are usually pretty close distance wise from the tee and he was consistently 15 to 20 yards longer than me which I was not very impressed with! Pissed off would be a better description. I am using the Bridgestone XS which for me is just slightly shorter than a Chrome Soft. I actually moved from the Chrome Soft to the Bridgestone XS because of consistency. I've found that occasionally you can get a dud Chrome soft.

Back to the ERC, the ball was certainly long for him and it sat down as good as a Chrome Soft which quite surprised me. The ERC surprised me enough that I grabbed a couple of sleeves from the shop after the round.

After reading the ERC was Callaway's longest ball and low compression I got a sleeve for my wife to test.

She is distance challenged but has an extremely tidy short game. We've tried most balls for her and she had been using Callaway Super Softs which was a decent enough ball for her however control on the greens was issue.

Surprisingly its turned out that the best performing ball for her was Titlesit DT TruSoft. Not quite as long as the Supersoft but close enough however it spins so much better from 50 metres in.

We played 18 holes yesterday and for the first 9 holes she used the DT TruSoft up against the ERC. With the driver the ERC was consistently 7 to 12 metres shorter than the Titleist.

Results may vary with different players of course, but actually I was quite shocked given Callaway's hype.

I played a round this week with a fellow PGA senior tour pro (Australia) who I've played a lot of golf with and was surprised when he teed it up with an ERC soft.

I've got to say the ball was impressive. He remarked that it really wasn't much different for him than his usual ball the Chrome Soft.

We are usually pretty close distance wise from the tee and he was consistently 15 to 20 yards longer than me which I was not very impressed with! Pissed off would be a better description. I am using the Bridgestone XS which for me is just slightly shorter than a Chrome Soft. I actually moved from the Chrome Soft to the Bridgestone XS because of consistency. I've found that occasionally you can get a dud Chrome soft.

Back to the ERC, the ball was certainly long for him and it sat down as good as a Chrome Soft which quite surprised me. The ERC surprised me enough that I grabbed a couple of sleeves from the shop after the round.

Report back for sure.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Played the ERC last weekend for the first time and putted lights out with the triple track. Only hit 9 greens, but 25 putts and made a couple over 20 feet. Felt confident in the line and only had to focus on speed.

As far as distance goes, this ball is a little over a club longer in the irons than the â19 V1X Iâve been playing, which I felt like had too much spin and was fluttering at times. Spin around the greens is better than I expected, but not great.

Look forward to Cally making these lines available on more balls soon. If it isnât for you thatâs fine, but it definitely works for me.

Played the ERC side by side with the V1x and the AVX the other day. Every bit as long with irons as the AVX, with more consistent distance and much more spin around the greens. Felt like the AVX was out of control on pitch shots and was able to get much better control without having to alter trajectory with the ERC. Certainly doesn’t spin as much as the V1x, but I’m giving that up to gain a full club of distance off the irons.

Not here to say whether they are a value at $44/dozen, but my experience has been very good.

Report back for sure.

Read my review above! ;-)

Launches high, cuts through wind, bites on shots into and around the green

I've played AVX, Srixon Q star tour, chrome soft , B'stone XS/RXS .....most complete ball of the lot for an average swing speed player....

I have played this for the past few days on the simulator. First off I love the feel of the ball. From driver to wedge for me the feel is just right. The ball flys higher than my gamer TP5x and seems to be quite a bit straighter. Iron distance has been very consistent and while its only in a sim it has played very well for me. On the indoor putting green I like using the TT. I'm short putt challenged at times and I think this will go a long way to at least making sure I'm lined up. 8bee8efad5feb2f4598023e031a375f1.jpg

That's the new Maltby Moment XI Tour. Milled aluminum with stainless steel weighting. The Orange is anodized. $99 for the kit including the grip. I love this putter. Solid feel, wicked easy to align and look great. They have four versions of this style. This one is a bit smaller than the others.

Thats a nice looking putter, what brand is it?

Played 9 holes today as a practice round. I wanted to test the ERC against my gamer, Bridgestone Tour B RX. I was really disappointed in it.

Driver - Only once did the ERC go further than the RX and it was a toe hit with the RX. I was not impressed.

Pitching - I didn't not see any real difference between the ERC and the RX. I felt the RX was more predictable on the way it was going to react when hitting the green.

Irons - No real difference and the RX seems to be marginally longer.

I saw nothing to make me consider the ERC over the RX.

Played 9 holes today as a practice round. I wanted to test the ERC against my gamer, Bridgestone Tour B RX. I was really disappointed in it.

Driver - Only once did the ERC go further than the RX and it was a toe hit with the RX. I was not impressed.

Pitching - I didn't not see any real difference between the ERC and the RX. I felt the RX was more predictable on the way it was going to react when hitting the green.

Have you tried the Srixon Q star tour?

Yes, I have in the past and liked it, bu it did not give me the same distance I was getting from the RX.

If it is a Callaway it is probably a direct copy of some other companies ball.

^^^^

????

balls-2018-chrome-soft-truvis-red_3____2.png?sfrm=png&sw=700&yocs=y_B_&yoloc=us

Other than some changes to the dimple pattern the Callaway Supersoft is a Wilson Duo

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

Yes, I have in the past and liked it, bu it did not give me the same distance I was getting from the RX.

But RX doesn't perform around the greens as well....#tradeoff

I just received 3 doz ERC Soft and have putted extensively indoors (2 feet of snow in northern Michigan) and the ball feels and sounds great. Not sure about the low spin I may get off of irons as I plan to play the Rogue Pro this season. I am a believer in choosing a ball starting on the green and working back to the tee.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

• 3 weeks later...

I played 9 holes with the ERC exclusively a couple days ago. I was all but convinced that this was going to be my gamer after hitting a few shots with it a week ago while playing. But after using it exclusively, I'm no longer convinced. Just didn't like the feedback that I was getting off the driver or long irons. Seemed to check up ok on the green and putting was ok, but while it was as long as my gamer (Snell MTB Black), just didn't give me a lot of feedback like the Snell does.

I also found the lines distracting when teeing up or hitting from the fairway. I don't use lines to line up my putts so I would turn the ball over so the lines weren't facing. I think the MTB Black gives me better results when putting... could be that the MTB just responds better off my putter (on this particular day I was using a Scotty Cameron Newport 2). Sound was very muted.

I'm going back to the MTB Black because it's the best all-round ball that I have ever played. My top five are as follows:

Snell MTB Black

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Callaway Chromesoft

Titleist ProV

Callaway ERC

I keep hearing people saying the ERC soft has as much short game spin as the AVX...

I play the AVX, and while it certainly doesn't have the grab of the ProV1 inside of 20yards, it spins pretty well and has a urethane cover, which the ERC does not. Typically, no urethane = no serious spin.

Can anyone actually substantiate these claims that the ERC Soft is outspinning the AVX around the greens (IE inside of 20yards), or are we just going off what we see?

Anybody put this thing on a trackman or LM with the touch shots?

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

I played the ERC soft for a couple of holes in fairly high wind today here in Texas. Off the tee it was fine but I hit two shots with it that really turned me off to the ball. 170 yard crosswind shot that started on a great line for a fade into the green but at the top of its trajectory the ball took a really hard right hand turn and missed the green completely. The second shot was a short wedge shot of about 100 yards that was also blown off line at the top of its trajectory. No bueno.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby