Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

I wish I'd never looked into getting new irons

:)

not in a good way! :-(

think I'm going to have to book in for another fitting somewhere that does multiple club manufacturers and see what that fitting says.

Not many places around like that though, not that I would trust that aren't a retail shop trying to sell.

Have you tried Michael at Duncan Lamberts. West malling

Golf club

I know they have all the different manufacturers to try

My daughter was fitted for full set there

He spent about 2 hours with her. Wasn’t pushy either

Trevor

I wish I'd never looked into getting new irons

:)

not in a good way! :-(

think I'm going to have to book in for another fitting somewhere that does multiple club manufacturers and see what that fitting says.

Not many places around like that though, not that I would trust that aren't a retail shop trying to sell.

Golf club

Trevor

Try Precision Golf in Weybridge as well, have basically everything and anything you could want head and shaft wise. Can be on the expensive side but a more thorough fitting you’ll be hard to find

Try Precision Golf in Weybridge as well, have basically everything and anything you could want head and shaft wise. Can be on the expensive side but a more thorough fitting you'll be hard to find

Heard a few mixed reviews of this place so am a bit wary, same with silvermere.

Golf club

Trevor

Hi Trevor, it's a big coincidence you posting that as having a look last night this was one of the few shops locally (and this is very local to me) that has all the major brands. Good to hear they weren't pushy, think I will give them a call. Thanks.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I think Michael is the head fitter

It is certainly impressive they have every head and shaft imaginable. You go in the shop and think so what nothing special.

But it’s all down on the range. The clubs,shafts,flightscope etc

Several people from my club have gone there and been impressed and like I say He took his time with my daughter and made sure we was happy. We ended up buying from there as well. They have some kind of loyalty card. You get points on purchases which gives discount on future purchases

Let me know how you get on

Try Precision Golf in Weybridge as well, have basically everything and anything you could want head and shaft wise. Can be on the expensive side but a more thorough fitting you'll be hard to find

Heard a few mixed reviews of this place so am a bit wary, same with silvermere.

Golf club

Trevor

Hi Trevor, it's a big coincidence you posting that as having a look last night this was one of the few shops locally (and this is very local to me) that has all the major brands. Good to hear they weren't pushy, think I will give them a call. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Swing update

Been a busy last couple of months, been really working diligently on a more centered backswing pivot via more extension in my upper back. My backswing is also a touch longer now as a result. To assist with this I've also been working on posture as I had not been bending from the hips and creating a fair bit of curve in my upper back before I even get going. Which for me makes it even harder to extend correctly in the backswing.

Downswing work on left shoulder working down and forward.

I knew things were getting better as I was hitting shots with more compression than I have in a long time (and no top thin 3 woods). Not only is it looking better on camera, last night was the first time I'd recorded in a few weeks but I was able to get some numbers of trackman, and those are much better too. Start of the year with a 7 iron I was averaging -1.4* aoa and a dynamic loft of 25*. Last night I was on average, -3.9* aoa, 19.7* dynamic loft, CHS up 2mph and carry up about 8 yards. Very happy.

As of this morning I'm also 2 stone lighter (28 pounds), which I'm sure is also helping things.

33304198198_21b5ad59b0_h.jpg

46265287745_3e4f0740eb_h.jpg

47127659002_c43a7cc8fd_h.jpg

47127659092_9d1d318aa2_h.jpg

33304198218_6593b3b188_h.jpg

Congratulations on the swing changes and weight loss, both must have required a lot of work and discipline

Thanks. Still another 4 stone to go (56 pounds) but off to a good start.

After testing P770s & MP18 SCs a lot over the last couple of months I've decided to keep my old trusty X Forged 2013 in the bag for now. With the swing improvements I've made my ball flight has become a lot more penetrating so I may end up just sticking with them. Although would still like to do a fitting but perhaps in a month or 2 time once I've really got these changes down better.

One addition to the bag is a set of Vokey SM7s in tour chrome, 50F, 54S and 60L. Been after new wedges for a while and whilst I loved the mizuno T7 60* for short game I didn't like it for fuller shots, and didn't get on with the T7 in lower lofts. Milled grind and hi-toe I couldn't get on with, especially the milled grind. Did a lot of demoing of new stuff and settled on the vokeys.

The 54 S and F performed pretty similar for me but the S was just a smidge better out of bunkers. I rarely use anything other than a 60* out of the sand but on a longer shot from really soft sand the 54S worked well.

I'm very picky about my LW grind, the way the leading edge looks and the height of the leading edge, both straight faced and especially open are huge for me. The 60.04L was the clear winner for me, the M and K grinds just had a bit too much bounce and the L had a better leading edge for me.

Managed to get a good deal on each of them, the 60 was brand new and the other 2 i got from golfbidder in very good condition. they just turned up in time for my round on Saturday, very impressed with the first outing. Just need to lengthen them to my specs now.

46485052204_b502cbf43e_h.jpg

great work man, keep it up!!

thank you :)

Dave - swing is looking very nice. Congrats on the weight loss as well!

Good stuff. Out of curiosity, how have you achieved the weight loss?

thanks, PM sent

Smashing work buddy. I guess losing weight is ALOT like improving your golf swing....only those that have lost 2 stones know how hard it is and how much effort it takes. Most give up or look for short cuts.

Can't Taylor made just sell you some weight loss for $500?

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Ps, the introduction of the young family ensuring your practise time is used most effectively? Nothing like focussing the mind - take away some of the practise and play time making maintaining the handicap doubly as hard

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Smashing work buddy. I guess losing weight is ALOT like improving your golf swing....only those that have lost 2 stones know how hard it is and how much effort it takes. Most give up or look for short cuts.

Can't Taylor made just sell you some weight loss for $500?

Ps, the introduction of the young family ensuring your practise time is used most effectively? Nothing like focussing the mind - take away some of the practise and play time making maintaining the handicap doubly as hard

thanks, although losing weight and improving swing have a lot of similarities, at least with weightloss you know if you eat less calories you will lose weight, golf swing has a ton more variables :lol:

yeah very much focuses the mind, I also feel that little and often when it comes to practice is better than say a 4 hour session. Even if its 10 mins a day doing slow reps without a ball, all helps.

Was just comparing my latest swing video with one from a little while ago, even more happy with the changes I've made now:

- upper body is much more centered in backswing

- backswing is also now longer as a result

- much less tilt and lean back, with more pressure and more stacked on my left leg at impact

- therefore less tilt and hang back at P8

46504122114_0fb2d1dcd8_h.jpg

As much as I've worked on left shoulder down, maintaining left side bend etc a lot before, I never realised how much I need to feel that my left shoulder works down and forward. it feels like I move left shoulder and head down and forward a couple of feet, and FEELS like at impact my head is way infront of the ball. Also like my upper body is further forward than my lower body. This is clearly not the case but is the exaggerated feel I need to get my body working better.

Great work!

"Stone" - I love it! I've got 1.5 stone to go myself - that's been the challenging part for me. Even thought the numbers are smaller my wife cares not for the use of the term stone when referencing her weight - nor "hands" when referencing height, no idea.

haha

https://www.instagra...l6E84Mzlb2qTU0/

gone back to conventional grip and putting time in on my stroke. Whilst I had a solid honeymoon period with claw grip I had so many putts where I struggled or would have a big miss where I didn't control the face, seemingly from nowhere, which I didn't like obviously.

Dan (iteach) gave me a tip on changing where acceleration happens in the stroke and that has improved my stroke length massively (more equidistant). Using my visio mat with some barriers up I've removed the heel strike and got much less loop in transition. Got out of the habit of practicing with it and it shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked a trip to Turnberry for next month. cannot wait!

• 4 weeks later...

After another poor putting performance saturday morning I have decided to bench the Raybon, I find myself fighting the weighting of it, I've never really had much arc to my stroke and find i do with it. I was missing a lot of putts left, which is a sign of too much toe hang, and distance control was inconsistent. I happened to be in the pro shop post round browsing the putters (obviously after a bad putting round) and hit a few putts with an Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line, the feel initally was very odd, but very good. The stroke felt so stable and almost like I couldn't make a bad stroke with it. I love versa style alignment, find it makes alignment really simple for me. They had my interest piqued.

Tuesday afternoon I went back and hit some putts on the SAM and this confirmed my stroke was a lot better and more consistant with a face balanced putter. Now I love my Spider S but find the feel and insert to soft and mushy. Which I've also read the modern odyssey inserts get the same reviews. However with the stroke labs I don't find them too soft, and for some reason the putter I ended up getting felt firmer and clickier than the others. I tried the whole stroke lab range and narrowed it down to 4 putters to take out and try on the green. For me I will never buy another club with only trying it indoors. It's one thing hitting 10 foot putts on a mat thats quite fast, it's completely different hitting different breaking putts of various lengths.

The 4 I tried were the double wide, V-line, V-Line C/S and the 7. The double wide quickly got benched, didn't feel as stable and didn't like it on longer putters. The other 3 were very hard to decide between. I spent a good 90 minutes or so alternating between them and hitting the same putt which each putter. All were very good close range, the 7 seemed to give a better end over end roll with the line though. Close range with a mallet isn't the main issue with my putting though, it's distance control. Something about the shaft in these just feels really good and seems to improve my pace. On longer putts the C/S and the 7 were the best, but again I just gave the 7 the edge. As i said earlier the contact with the 7 also felt a bit firmer than the others, whether this was just in my head or not who knows.

I was surprised the 7 was the winner, not because of the shape, I used to find my 7 white ice i had super forgiving and stable, but since I've been using a line on the ball I've never putted with a putter that had a top line, always one in the flange, and this only has 3 dots on the top, but I don't find the alignment with the ball line an issue, I think i actually prefer the simplicity of it.

So here it is, Odyssey Stroke Lab 7, 34" with the stock stroke lab oversize grip (which fits my hands really nicely). It was only once I got it home did i hit some putts on my visio board, happy to report that arc and face angle are matching up so much better and easier, it doesn't feel like I'm fighting anything anymore and the stroke is a lot simpler. First use on an actual green will be at Turnberry next week, nothing like jumping in at the deep end for a good test.

2019-04-04_11-09-26

20190402_174616

20190402_174613

CE_Video_1554273733695

• Like 1

Stroke lab is the real deal.

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

> @crapula said:

> Stroke lab is the real deal.

I hope so, certainly still love the feel of it, and the stroke is technically a lot better (using visio mat for reference)

can't wait to get it out on the links thursday and use it on course

> @FullOfBrushMan said:

> Going through the same thing with the putter. Lessons has definitely helped in conjunction with SAM Putt Labs, etc. but ... you need to pick the right putter otherwise you will do some serious harm. Trust me ... I know =( PMd.

haven't received a PM?

**Swing update**

Backswing is looking much better, a touch more extension in upper spine needed as I near the top gets me in the position below, very centered and much more depth at the top. Swing is also now longer.

Downswing as a result I now have more arm depth coming down, my hands did work very out before. Now with more lead arm depth I will be able to match it up with more rotation.

*edit*- I'm also as of writing now 3 stone 2lbs lighter (44lbs), it's hard work but feel so much better for it, carrying my son around who feels heavy at around 23lbs it's hard to believe I was carrying around nearly double that on me!

IMG-20190405-WA0009

IMG-20190405-WA0012

IMG-20190405-WA0011

2019-04-09_09-39-23

IMG-20190405-WA0010

Here are av 7 iron numbers, aoa was only about 1 down before, dynamic loft lower and as a result carry is up.

jay2ndlessonnumbers

New system won't let me msg you. Odd. See if you can msg me and I can reply back.

Anyways I contacted an old putting guru in the states and am currently working on my stroke and am slowly finding out my putter is exacerbating my problems with keeping my face open due to its physical properties aka mallet heel shafted putter = very bad for my stroke and setup angles.

• 3 months later...

> @BeTheBall_ said:

> I don’t use the prayer grip but I do have my right hand entirely over my left (quadruple overlap I guess!), with both thumbs on the top of the grip, so my arms/hands/shoulders etc are level, find it much easier to get aligned properly and make a nice consistent stroke.

I've been toying with this stroke today. Put a flatso 2.0 on my new bridgestone td-01 and have been putting it well on the carpet. Super consistent with alignment and stroke. Possibly will put like this tmw

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron