New TP5 and TP5X

jwb10

So the official release has come and gone, and there's nothing on the website about the ninja star version. Wonder why.

It has a later release. March or April, I can't remember and I don't have my launch material with me at home.

I guess I'm gonna have to keep my hopes up for a yellow version, then. We still haven't seen confirmation either way on that front.

There is no yellow version slated to release this year. We (account holders) have had the info for the PIX (ninja star) ball since late summer last year. If a yellow variant was scheduled to be released, we would have already been able to prebook it by now, and have sales info on it.

Put a sleeve in play yesterday. It was a fine ball but not a lot different than the prior version. It was noticeably clicky off the wedge and putter. Think I'll stick with my CSx.

I picked up a few dozen of the new TP5's and while I've been chipping and putting in the basement the last few nights I noticed the clicky sound too. It's still a nice feeling golf ball, it just has a more distinct clicking sound than I'm used to with the pro v1's. I can't wait to get out next week and try them on the course!

Could be the acoustics in your basement. Outside on the grass it's definitely not a clicky feeling or sounding ball. Much softer feeling than the previous generation.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Put a sleeve in play yesterday. It was a fine ball but not a lot different than the prior version. It was noticeably clicky off the wedge and putter. Think I'll stick with my CSx.

I picked up a few dozen of the new TP5's and while I've been chipping and putting in the basement the last few nights I noticed the clicky sound too. It's still a nice feeling golf ball, it just has a more distinct clicking sound than I'm used to with the pro v1's. I can't wait to get out next week and try them on the course!

Could be the acoustics in your basement. Outside on the grass it's definitely not a clicky feeling or sounding ball. Much softer feeling than the previous generation.

I'll just add that chrome soft x is about as different as you can get compared to the TP5x. Chrome Soft X has the most driver and iron spin of almost any urethane ball today. Where TP5x is about the least driver and iron spin ball you can find. I would think one or the other would fit you and not both. If you made a change between these balls, you were either a bad fit with the original ball or you'd need to change your driver settings/shaft to compensate for the difference in spin. With the irons they are probably a good 10 yards different due to spin as well.

For instance, when I played P790 irons that don't spin much, I played the Chrome Soft X because I needed that extra spin and I had to play a low spin driver and shaft combo to keep the driver distance correct. When I switched to blades, I needed the TP5x so I didn't spin the irons too much and that allowed me to move away from a low spin shaft in the driver as well.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

I'll just add that chrome soft x is about as different as you can get compared to the TP5x. Chrome Soft X has the most driver and iron spin of almost any urethane ball today. Where TP5x is about the least driver and iron spin ball you can find. I would think one or the other would fit you and not both. If you made a change between these balls, you were either a bad fit with the original ball or you'd need to change your driver settings/shaft to compensate for the difference in spin. With the irons they are probably a good 10 yards different due to spin as well.

For instance, when I played P790 irons that don't spin much, I played the Chrome Soft X because I needed that extra spin and I had to play a low spin driver and shaft combo to keep the driver distance correct. When I switched to blades, I needed the TP5x so I didn't spin the irons too much and that allowed me to move away from a low spin shaft in the driver as well.

Actually there is virtually no difference with the driver. The Chromesoft X off the irons spins where they should and the TP5X spins low off irons.

So the official release has come and gone, and there's nothing on the website about the ninja star version. Wonder why.

It has a later release. March or April, I can't remember and I don't have my launch material with me at home.

I guess I'm gonna have to keep my hopes up for a yellow version, then. We still haven't seen confirmation either way on that front.

There is no yellow version slated to release this year. We (account holders) have had the info for the PIX (ninja star) ball since late summer last year. If a yellow variant was scheduled to be released, we would have already been able to prebook it by now, and have sales info on it.

Well.....f***.

Thanks, TM. Missed opportunity. You can make fancy ninja stars but can't make it in a solid color. Makes sense. Not.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

Actually there is virtually no difference with the driver. The Chromesoft X off the irons spins where they should and the TP5X spins low off irons.

Fair enough, but I've done similar tests like this on GCQuad (and with more than just me) as well as on course testing and that's where I got my information. So really the only certainty we can say that it's different based on different swings. In the end, the point is you need to be fitted with the equipment you are playing to find the right ball for you. Changing equipment can mean you should also look again at the golf ball as the equipment can change the requirements you need out of a golf ball.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

Chrome soft x isn’t a high spin ball for me either. Not even close to tour B rxs which with a wedge is nasty. It’s also consistently lower spin and longer for me than 17 prov1x.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Well.....f***.

Thanks, TM. Missed opportunity. You can make fancy ninja stars but can't make it in a solid color. Makes sense. Not.

What is this ninja star version you speak of? How ill it be different?

Ping G400 LST 8.5 w/ Tensei Orange 70TX tipped 1" 
Titleist 917 F3 15 w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.2TS X tipped 1"
Callaway X Forged UT 18 w/ KBS $-Taper X
Mizuno MP-25 4-W w/ C-Taper X
Taylormade Tour Preferred EF Chrome 52/56 w/ KBS Tour S
Taylormade High Toe 60 w/ KBS 610
Odyssey 7

sometimes i wished TM would just leave the TP5's alone. you like it you buy it, you dont like it, dont buy it. You made a ball so good that made everyone and their mother switch. Now stop f**king tinkering..

Now i have to go test again and im not good enough to tell what changed. smh

Andddd, you hit the nail on the head as to why I have 16 dozen of the 2017/2018 model.

Not even interested in trying the new version

Titleist TSR3 Ventus TR Blue 6X
Titleist TSi3 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Mizuno MP20 HMB 18* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
Kyoei KK Black MB 4-PW KBS Tour 125 S+
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 50/9
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54/11
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 58/11
TaylorMade Tour Preferred Bandon 3
TaylorMade 2021 TP5X

What is this ninja star version you speak of? How ill it be different?

"Ninja star" refers to the ChromeSoft TruVis (aka the soccer ball) competitor that TaylorMade will be debuting in about a month. The pattern on in resembles a ninja star. Otherwise, its a standard TP5. It's name is the TP5 PIX.

The new TP5 and TP5x feel like range balls around the green. Have not gotten them onto the course yet but not impressed so far.

I'm half wondering what could impress you with not even using the ball extensively yet?

Are you like me? One of those guys that looks at somethings packaging and dismisses it instantly?

The new TP5 and TP5x feel like range balls around the green. Have not gotten them onto the course yet but not impressed so far.

I'm half wondering what could impress you with not even using the ball extensively yet?

Are you like me? One of those guys that looks at somethings packaging and dismisses it instantly?

Performing around the green is far more important then any other aspect of the ball.

I’ve put these balls through the paces on the course now if it makes you feel better.

Performing around the green is far more important then any other aspect of the ball.

I’ve put these balls through the paces on the course now if it makes you feel better.

It doesn’t. I rarely take what other people say at any value. I’m more of a self reliant tester. I’ll judge what works for me and give it’s due process.

I've put these balls through the paces on the course now if it makes you feel better.

How did they perform for you?

would love to hear

thanks

* Close to same distance, I would not say TP5X is longer without taking a good shot average off Trackman. If it is longer it’s a handful of yards.

* TP5 launches lower but not by mouth.

* Hard to tell a difference driver - 7iron

* Short irons and drown TP5 spins quite a bit more.

* Full shots X is more one bounce and stop. TP5 you really have to control spin on full wedges. I spun a few back over 30 feet.

* Both feel clicky and harder than other premium balls around the green.

* IMO both new Titleist balls are superior as they are just as long, perform the same driver to green (minus the crazy spin of the TP5). But around the green spin better, feel better, and don’t spin back like the TP5.

* IMO both new Titleist balls are superior as they are just as long, perform the same driver to green (minus the crazy spin of the TP5). But around the green spin better, feel better, and don't spin back like the TP5.

interesting. thanks for posting that.

I am down to TP5X, Pro V1 and XV, tried the first two. just going to get a sample 6 pack of the XV.

How is the wind performance? that's what matters a lot for me.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

* IMO both new Titleist balls are superior as they are just as long, perform the same driver to green (minus the crazy spin of the TP5). But around the green spin better, feel better, and don't spin back like the TP5.

I am down to TP5X, Pro V1 and XV, tried the first two. just going to get a sample 6 pack of the XV.

I played the PV1 in some wind and rain and shot even par. Ball did fine....

I played the PV1 in some wind and rain and shot even par. Ball did fine....

Since Rory made his negative comment about his golf ball after the Masters a few years back there seems to be this notion that the Pro V1/V1x balls are not good wind balls. I just don’t get this; it was one comment made after a crap round. He left the Pro V1x for the TP5x and he left that ball for the TP5. I’d love for an independent testing n golf balls wind performance. Use a wind tunnel and ball cannon to keep things equal.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Since Rory made his negative comment about his golf ball after the Masters a few years back there seems to be this notion that the Pro V1/V1x balls are not good wind balls. I just don't get this; it was one comment made after a crap round. He left the Pro V1x for the TP5x and he left that ball for the TP5. I'd love for an independent testing n golf balls wind performance. Use a wind tunnel and ball cannon to keep things equal.

agreed my current ball to play on Scottish Links is Pro V1 but always looking for better. heard nothing but good things about the XV in the wind but have never really hit one.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Since Rory made his negative comment about his golf ball after the Masters a few years back there seems to be this notion that the Pro V1/V1x balls are not good wind balls. I just don't get this; it was one comment made after a crap round. He left the Pro V1x for the TP5x and he left that ball for the TP5. I'd love for an independent testing n golf balls wind performance. Use a wind tunnel and ball cannon to keep things equal.

agreed my current ball to play on Scottish Links is Pro V1 but always looking for better. heard nothing but good things about the XV in the wind but have never really hit one.

It’s a good ball but really doesn’t feel nearly as soft or spin as much of the V1 and V1x around the greens. You won’t know the difference unless you hit alternate shots between the XV and Titleist balls and then the difference is obvious.

It's a good ball but really doesn't feel nearly as soft or spin as much of the V1 and V1x around the greens. You won't know the difference unless you hit alternate shots between the XV and Titleist balls and then the difference is obvious.

perfect thanks.

might try and do that this Friday, buy a trial pack t compare with the pro vs I have bought.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

It's a good ball but really doesn't feel nearly as soft or spin as much of the V1 and V1x around the greens. You won't know the difference unless you hit alternate shots between the XV and Titleist balls and then the difference is obvious.

perfect thanks.

might try and do that this Friday, buy a trial pack t compare with the pro vs I have bought.

I have not tried the new XV, only the prior generation. Someone told me the new one is softer.

perfect thanks.

I have not tried the new XV, only the prior generation. Someone told me the new one is softer.

2019 XV felt a bit softer than the 17 TP5x to me off the putter. I haven't tried the 19 TP5x so can't compare.

perfect thanks.

Do it, I found the XV to be quite a bit better wind ball than the Pro V1. I just don't find the pro V1 to be a great wind ball compared to TM, Srixon, or Bridgestone.

New TP5x:

- Just as long as the previous TP5x. Any extra yardage should really be considered negligible.

- Still has the same style finish. Not matte but not shiny.

- New alignment aid isn't that great. I don't use them personally as I am always second guessing myself with them but, I still think this could have been different. It is better than the last version.

- Feel off wedges was very consistent with old style ball

- Feel off putter face was the same as old style ball

- Feel off driver was same.

- Ball flight was the same as prior version. Good high launch off the face.

- Stopping power was also consistent to the prior version.

- Durability is much much much more improved but, there was still some light gashing / scuffing from wedge shots. No cart paths were damaged, nor rocks, nor bunker shots. To me, this is not a big deal. Prior generation showed a lot of bad marks quite easily for me and I was very turned off at that. The new version, I can totally live with it. It seems far far more durable.

Overall, I wouldn't say run out and grab it. They will be well in stock at your local store, I'm sure. I still need to try out the new TP5 (not X) as I liked the original feel a lot more. It's a good ball. The major requests seem to have been fixed and worked on substantially but, there is always room for improvement.

• Like 1

Any data on that Stanks? Or just more of an observational on course type testing?

On course observational testing. Luckily, the course I played was quite dead today so I was playing both versions TP5x pretty side by side (2 balls a whole). In terms of trackman or any other launch monitor data, nah. I don't sport that kind of $$$ unfortunately.

I'll always use a ball for feel instead of distance. I have distance. Ball go far for me. I like the lower compression balls in general but, was happy to play these today.

Anything else you'd like me to comment on?