Jupiter & Palm Beach Gardens Private Membership Options

You’re not going to like the food in south Florida, especially coming from jersey.

Have some mutual friends at Jupiter hill. They rave about it so something to look at.

when i used to go down to jupiter to visit friends, i'd go with all seafood (grouper and mahi in particular). but yeah, the food down there isn't all that great outside of seafood. decent thai and cuban places though, but forget about italian or chinese...or decent deli sandwiches. why does the bread baked down there taste like sawdust?

it lacks a lot of the international flavor the northeast has to offer. it's also a reason why i've decline to go down there when asked. we take my friends boat out if we want grouper and i think the cuban sandwiches in tampa taste better.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

You’re not going to like the food in south Florida, especially coming from jersey.

Have some mutual friends at Jupiter hill. They rave about it so something to look at.

when i used to go down to jupiter to visit friends, i'd go with all seafood (grouper and mahi in particular). but yeah, the food down there isn't all that great outside of seafood. decent thai and cuban places though, but forget about italian or chinese...or decent deli sandwiches. why does the bread baked down there taste like sawdust?

It's the water. NY/NJ has some of the best tasting public water in the world and it's perfect for baking bread.

I do have to acknowledge that food down here is WAY better than it was 25 years ago.

Separate note...playing Fox Club tomorrow in their weekly Stableford game. Still unsure of where I'm going to join, but housing prices are certainly much more attractive up in Stuart & Palm City.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Well, finding the right club to join down here is a bit more challenging than I'd initially imagined. I've been a private club member in NJ for many years so I'm pretty set in terms of my criteria. My wife is pretty set on living in the Jupiter area and housing is really expensive which is going to be a challenge as I'm trying to downsize my monthly nut. Most important to me in terms of a club are as follows:

1. Good group of guys, diverse in age, and easy to get a regular game. I never play alone and prefer the camaraderie of playing four-ball matches and a group throw-in game plus club tourneys. We had a great men's group at my previous club in NJ

2. A private club with a true championship caliber course with good greens and overall good conditioning. I'm 50, and not as long as I used to be so don't play 7000+ much that often, but I still like a good test and have no problem getting it around at 6700 or so. I'll take an average-type layout with excellent conditioning over a phenomenal layout with mediocre conditioning.

3. Close proximity to my house. I like the convenience of living close to where I play, but don't necessarily need to live on the course or in a closed golf community. In fact, I prefer clubs that do not require members to be "inside the gate" property owners as you tend to get a more diverse group of guys in terms of age, etc. and also better players when guys come in from all around the area.

4. I don't enjoy playing early. If the regular men's game is at 8:30 a.m. that's not for me. I prefer to get things done (work, errands, banking, etc.) in the morning and play between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. This way when your done it's happy-hour and I don't have to worry about going back to work or whatever.

5. Cost. I'm not interested in places with massive initiation fees or equity buy-ins. I don't want to be running with a crowd that is beyond my pay grade...lol. I'm OK with dues up to around the $12k mark and a moderate equity buy-in ( if required).

I played Fox Club on Wednesday and had a great time. Super-challenging track, good guys, decent conditions (though not as good as last year when I played there), and membership is currently a great deal. Problem is that it's a good 35 minute commute from my rental (in Abacoa) and I don't think my wife would enjoy living up that way as it's pretty remote and farther from the airports. I'd also be concerned about the future viability of the club so would never make a home purchase with the idea of being close to the club.

So far Tequesta CC is tops on my list. It ticks off most of the boxes for me. They've got a great group of guys, a game nearly every day, they play at around mid-day during the week and not too early on weekends either, and the course is typically in superb condition with fast greens. I inquired about a preview membership where you pay just the annual dues for a trial year then if you decide to stay you come up with the initiation. Unfortunately Tequesta has a a pretty full membership and they're no longer offering a preview deal. I'd take the plunge, but finding a house in the area that will please my wife and still be affordable may be a challenge, so I've got to hold off. I may do their off-season membership in the spring.

I played Abacoa yesterday with my daughter and we had a great time. The course is pretty wide-open, but the conditions were good for public and the greens rolled true. It's expensive to pay per diam though at $100+ per round in-season, so I'd have to join. It's a good deal, just not fully private. So far everyone I've met there has been great and the staff is excellent and super-friendly! It's a one-minute commute from my rental, so I think that's my best option until we figure out where we're going to buy our permanent place.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Yeah I think your wife's insistence on Jupiter is going to add several $$ to anything you do. Just a fact.

I guess I would ask how often you fly. Are the 15 minutes between PSL and Jupiter really that important for airport proximity? PBI is less than an hour, and there is a large selection of clubs in PSL/Stuart area that are much more reasonable in terms of cost, without sacrificing quality I would say.

check out johnathans landing!

Nice community with multiple courses, but pretty expensive with an equity buy-in of over $50k, an additional non-refundable initiation fee, dues north of $12k, plus pretty high HOA fees. Average age of membership is also on the older side.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I love the Fox club. Great course but has slid a little over the years. Saw IBF there one winter. A bud's dad used to me a member before he passed

I agree with BNGL on Legacy. Loved it. The morning Bloody Mary is something else !

PSL courses .. they were in garbage shape a few years back when I was there and then I had a fire ant attack in the parking lot ... good times

PGA National ? The Champion course is awesome

Dewey, seeing this post reminded me about how much we have in common !!!

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

check out johnathans landing!

Nice community with multiple courses, but pretty expensive with an equity buy-in of over $50k, an additional non-refundable initiation fee, dues north of $12k, plus pretty high HOA fees. Average age of membership is also on the older side.

Agree. I have family with membership there and have enjoyed playing every course and have met some other younger people playing. The hills course is such a fun course

My daughter and I got invited to play Pine Tree down in Boynton Beach today with a buddy of mine and his son. Great course...and pretty darn exclusive. Plenty of room to drive it but good strategic bunkering along with some ponds and other water hazards. The green complexes are some of the best I've seen in FL. All are elevated, well bunkered, and undulating with some run-off collection areas. You pay if you miss greens in the wrong spot!

I joined Abacoa yesterday for the year. I would prefer a fully private club over semi-private, but it's so darn convenient being 1 min from my house, the greens are good, the guys (and staff) seem cool, and the price was right!

I'll probably do a summer membership at Tequesta to try to get the lay of the land over there as well and then reevaluate a year from now.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

My daughter and I got invited to play Pine Tree down in Boynton Beach today with a buddy of mine and his son. Great course...and pretty darn exclusive. Plenty of room to drive it but good strategic bunkering along with some ponds and other water hazards. The green complexes are some of the best I've seen in FL. All are elevated, well bunkered, and undulating with some run-off collection areas. You pay if you miss greens in the wrong spot!

I joined Abacoa yesterday for the year. I would prefer a fully private club over semi-private, but it's so darn convenient being 1 min from my house, the greens are good, the guys (and staff) seem cool, and the price was right!

I'll probably do a summer membership at Tequesta to try to get the lay of the land over there as well and then reevaluate a year from now.

There is another course in WPB called Mayacoo(sp). Every time I have played it the condition has been really good. Challenging and it has other amenities, pool, tennis, and dinner. I dont think the cost is over the top. Also there are a bunch of sticks there.

mayacoo lakes is the name. super challenging early nicklaus course, one of his best IMO. worth checking out, not far from the WPB airport. and i believe the prior poster is correct on cost as they've struggled to maintain membership w/ the rise of other options nearby sapping their intended clientele (trumps 2 places, bears club, floridian, dye preserve have all taken members that 20-30 years ago wouldve joined mayacoo)

PSL courses .. they were in garbage shape a few years back when I was there and then I had a fire ant attack in the parking lot ... good times

FWIW, this could not be further from the case currently. PGA Village' courses may have previously been in not-great shape but they are uniformly excellent now.

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

I love the Fox club. Great course but has slid a little over the years. Saw IBF there one winter. A bud's dad used to me a member before he passed

I agree with BNGL on Legacy. Loved it. The morning Bloody Mary is something else !

PGA National ? The Champion course is awesome

Dewey, seeing this post reminded me about how much we have in common !!!

Thanks for the post Cardoustie!

We are gradually getting settled here and getting familiar with the lay of the land. We're really enjoying the neighborhood here in Abacoa. This place has a great vibe. Practically anything you could want or need is within minutes and it's a young and vibrant community.

I played Abacoa today with my daughter and her college teammate. The wind was brutal with gusts up to 50 mph. I hit it well and still shot 81 to tie my daughter in score but lost to her in match play. The wind was so tough I'd say par was about 78...lol...so we weren't too bad. I definitely need to get better at reading Bermuda greens and judging how chips and pitches will react!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I am right behind you and following this thread closely! Having lived in northern NJ for many years and now the wife and I downsizing or right sizing with both kids now out of college. Looking to move to either Jupiter, West Palm or somewhere close to the two. Wife is a big equestrian so proximity to Wellington would be good and prob going to rent year one.

Tough for me to figure all this out.

PGA Golf Club checks all the boxes golf wise. Initiation under 20K, full golf dues around 8K, private cart trail fee $2300.00 annual or $25.00 per round. Walking allowed. PGAoA has spent close to 20M on courses and clubhouse in last 5 years. Poster above slamming the conditioning is way off the mark, conditions rival the best privates in south Fla. Diverse membership with range of weekly games and full slate of club events.

My door to PBI...50 min zero traffic, 55 moderate, 60 busy.

Gated community, reasonable HOA fees. 1750 to 2000 SF pool and Lanai 350K to 400K. 2000 to 2500 SF 375K to 500K. 2500 sf and up 450K and up.

Wannamaker and Dye courses are Championship caliber, Ryder is a touch softer.

Admittedly Saint Lucie West doesn't measure up to Jupiter/West Palm in most categories. Stuart is a manageable drive with a decent downtown restaurant/theatre/bar scene. Same for Vero and Ft. Pierce.

PM me if you want to tee it up.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

PGA Golf Club checks all the boxes golf wise. Initiation under 20K, full golf dues around 8K, private cart trail fee $2300.00 annual or $25.00 per round. Walking allowed. PGAoA has spent close to 20M on courses and clubhouse in last 5 years. Poster above slamming the conditioning is way off the mark, conditions rival the best privates in south Fla. Diverse membership with range of weekly games and full slate of club events.

My door to PBI...50 min zero traffic, 55 moderate, 60 busy.

Gated community, reasonable HOA fees. 1750 to 2000 SF pool and Lanai 350K to 400K. 2000 to 2500 SF 375K to 500K. 2500 sf and up 450K and up.

Wannamaker and Dye courses are Championship caliber, Ryder is a touch softer.

Admittedly Saint Lucie West doesn't measure up to Jupiter/West Palm in most categories. Stuart is a manageable drive with a decent downtown restaurant/theatre/bar scene. Same for Vero and Ft. Pierce.

PM me if you want to tee it up.

OP, listen to this man. He knoweth of which he speaks.

How is the golf and what are the costs at Admirals Cove?

Pretty exclusive/high-end. The initiation is $175k with annual dues around $21k plus some substantial HOA fees. Way more than I'm interested in paying...

I just dont think its necessary to spend that kind of money and in all honesty I'd be worried about the future viability of these exclusive type club communities as the baby boom generation begins to die off.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

How is the golf and what are the costs at Admirals Cove?

Pretty exclusive/high-end. The initiation is $175k with annual dues around $21k plus some substantial HOA fees. Way more than I'm interested in paying...

I just dont think its necessary to spend that kind of money and in all honesty I'd be worried about the future viability of these exclusive type club communities as the baby boom generation begins to die off.

Thanks for the information, I have been casually growing the area. That is too steep for me as well....

I am right behind you and following this thread closely! Having lived in northern NJ for many years and now the wife and I downsizing or right sizing with both kids now out of college. Looking to move to either Jupiter, West Palm or somewhere close to the two. Wife is a big equestrian so proximity to Wellington would be good and prob going to rent year one.

Tough for me to figure all this out.

Wellington National is a wonderful course I just joined

• 1 month later...

Just reporting back on life in Jupiter. So far we have really been enjoying the area and the weather. We're renting in Abacoa and are very pleased. It's a massive "master-planned" community with 17 different sub-divisions each with it's own clubhouse, pool, and unique architectural style.

HOA fees are very reasonable and include cable plus all outside landscaping maintenance. The community is not gated, and I actually like that. The location is ideal for us given family and airport needs. The only down side is that housing is extremely high right now, with most places in Abacoa selling for ~$300 per sf!

I've played some great courses so far, including Adios down in Coconut Creek yesterday and Trump Jupiter later today. Good stuff!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Hey DPB -

I'll be moving down to Jupiter in the next few weeks. I'm really looking into joining the Fox Club as I am looking for a good/great course, competitive play, and competitive rates. It's $5k/year with $750 min F&B and a $27 cart fee/round. The cart fee I really hate, but I think the cart fee will follow you anywhere, no?

Like you, I am trying to weigh my options. So you ended up joining Abacoa - how did you do that? I thought the wait-list was hundreds of people deep... I've played there three times and love the track/it seems like the best bang for your buck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey DPB -

I'll be moving down to Jupiter in the next few weeks. I'm really looking into joining the Fox Club as I am looking for a good/great course, competitive play, and competitive rates. It's $5k/year with $750 min F&B and a $27 cart fee/round. The cart fee I really hate, but I think the cart fee will follow you anywhere, no?

Like you, I am trying to weigh my options. So you ended up joining Abacoa - how did you do that? I thought the wait-list was hundreds of people deep... I've played there three times and love the track/it seems like the best bang for your buck.

Sorry I missed this...been traveling. Fox Club is good...challenging course, nice conditions and good guys. ...was just too far for me.

They did a lottery drawing for membership at Abacoa off of the waiting list and apparently I got lucky! It's convenient, has nice/fast greens, is a challenging course and the people are super-nice!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Dye Preserve. My favorite course in Palm Beach County.

Dye Preserve is a great & challenging course; I've played there about a half dozen times over the years. I like that it's a true golf club, not a community country club. There are a bunch of Tour players there almost daily. It's fairly expensive though at around $75k up front (last I checked) and definitely over $12k annually.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball