2019 Taylormade Spider X

Mabyboi

How's everyone liking the new spider?

I'm loving mine. It has everything that I liked about the black whilst probably being a little bit better in every regard. No transition pains at all and might be putting better with it. Something I will say for all the concern about the increased cost is that thankfully to me it feels like a more premium putter. The sound is better, it's more pleasing to look at etc. At 34" I think its a bit heavier and benefits from that and I like and prefer the face feel a lot. I'm also sold on the white alignment for the improvement it makes for centered face impact. I could live without the sight line down the middle.

Hell ya it’s easy to Libe up at your target?

I'm loving mine. It has everything that I liked about the black whilst probably being a little bit better in every regard. No transition pains at all and might be putting better with it. Something I will say for all the concern about the increased cost is that thankfully to me it feels like a more premium putter. The sound is better, it's more pleasing to look at etc. At 34" I think its a bit heavier and benefits from that and I like and prefer the face feel a lot. I'm also sold on the white alignment for the improvement it makes for centered face impact. I could live without the sight line down the middle.

Hell ya it’s easy to Libe up at your target?

Out of curiosity, has anyone found a good replacement headcover for these? I haven't owned a mallet like this before, so I am not sure if there is just a standard mallet cover you can use, or if you need to get something specific to size. Because, let's be honest, these headcovers are pretty hideous. They are good quality, but so white. There is no way it doesn't turn a shade of yellow and dirty this season. It will drive me crazy.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Out of curiosity, has anyone found a good replacement headcover for these? I haven't owned a mallet like this before, so I am not sure if there is just a standard mallet cover you can use, or if you need to get something specific to size. Because, let's be honest, these headcovers are pretty hideous. They are good quality, but so white. There is no way it doesn't turn a shade of yellow and dirty this season. It will drive me crazy.

Not everybody's cup of tea, but the Seamus mallet cover fits fine on my black spider. Probably more pricey than most want to do though.

Usually around Master's time or most majors TM will release a "themed" putter cover both in blade and mallet style. I believe last year it was green exterior with the Georgia Peach interior to the cover. I am waiting to see what they have in store this year and will probably grab one for my X. Tbh though the Spider X was is much better quality than the Spider Tour covers but as you mentioned its the color that is hard to keep tidy.

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I wouldn't mind this cover

94b042338564e5939ba758866b9470d0.jpg

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I ordered the blue but TM sent me the copper my mistake. So, I tried it anyway and man this thing is so easy to line up! Instead of sending it back for the blue I'm thinking about keeping this one. I did get mine with the Lamkin deep etched grip though. I don't care for the SS stock grip.

Something must be up with TM...I ordered a blue/white with the red/silver Winn grip and they sent me a blue/single line with Superstroke Grip!!!

The box and invoice had the right putter listed but they put the wrong one inside.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9.5*
Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
TaylorMade P790 5-PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50..54..58
Scotty Cameron 009m
Bridgestone Tour Bx

I ordered the blue but TM sent me the copper my mistake. So, I tried it anyway and man this thing is so easy to line up! Instead of sending it back for the blue I'm thinking about keeping this one. I did get mine with the Lamkin deep etched grip though. I don't care for the SS stock grip.

Something must be up with TM...I ordered a blue/white with the red/silver Winn grip and they sent me a blue/single line with Superstroke Grip!!!

The box and invoice had the right putter listed but they put the wrong one inside.

Yeah this isn't the first, but I think maybe Taylormade knows me better than I know myself. Once before I ordered a custom driver and they sent me the wrong one, so while I waited for the right one to get delivered I played with it and was crushing it. So they ended up correcting it and sent the one I ordered, I sent the other back with the return label and played with it for a few rounds. I didn't hit it near as good as the first one they sent.. lol

I'll probably just order a blue one anyway and have a little competition. Loser goes to BST.

I like the navy single sight line and copper/white, but not the other way around. Also find the slant neck to be much better incorporated than previous Spiders or any of the Odyssey's.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

Got to try these out today, tried all available versions and found the copper with the white was my favorite just after a few quick putts. Face felt nice, bit firmer than last version at least to me.

Visually I think they're a step up, performance wise I can't really say. I'll let others answer that.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

For those with the X already in play, please give us a heads up if you experience any paint chip issues.

I was just looking on the bay at all the Spider Tours and there is not one on there (besides brand new ones) that wasn't chipped all over.

Both black and red versions. I think the paint is too hard or the metal is not prepped correctly prior to paint and they chip really easily.

It seems that even with a head cover on if they get bumped or knocked the paint would chip just from the contact.

Maybe TM has improved their paint process but I think I'll wait to see how the new X fairs with a little bit of use before pulling the trigger.

I'd be highly upset if my new $350 putter looked like a rental club after just a few weeks/months.

For those with the X already in play, please give us a heads up if you experience any paint chip issues.

I was just looking on the bay at all the Spider Tours and there is not one on there (besides brand new ones) that wasn't chipped all over.

Both black and red versions. I think the paint is too hard or the metal is not prepped correctly prior to paint and they chip really easily.

It seems that even with a head cover on if they get bumped or knocked the paint would chip just from the contact.

Maybe TM has improved their paint process but I think I'll wait to see how the new X fairs with a little bit of use before pulling the trigger.

I'd be highly upset if my new $350 putter looked like a rental club after just a few weeks/months.

Not going to lie. That's a concern of mine too. I've done really well in keeping my milled putters in very good shape. Paint chips bother me for some reason. I won't have mine outside for quite a while.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Does the Deep Etched grip have copper accents like in the pic below?

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I struggled with mine on the course yesterday. It was probably just me though.

Playing faster greens then I'm used to omg the Florida trip though and they have a lot more break. Will be back out there today playing Championship gate.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Playing faster greens then I'm used to omg the Florida trip though and they have a lot more break. Will be back out there today playing Championship gate.

Orlando golf trip, nice. I'm going down there myself next week, running away from the freezing temperatures in Quebec City.

When you order it on the web site, there is an upcharge, so I would think it is a Lamkin branded grip and not TM.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

When you order it on the web site, there is an upcharge, so I would think it is a Lamkin branded grip and not TM.

Correct, the TM branded one with copper accents would look good with it though.

Orlando golf trip, nice. I'm going down there myself next week, running away from the freezing temperatures in Quebec City.

I suck. Lol greens were really fast and tough. I didnt make anything.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Not going to lie. That's a concern of mine too. I've done really well in keeping my milled putters in very good shape. Paint chips bother me for some reason. I won't have mine outside for quite a while.

Concerned about this as well. It's what kept me from buying a black spider. Every single person I played with that had one always had chips in the paint. I get that a lot of people leave it in the back of their cart without a headcover and it gets beat up. Yet, a couple of guys that walk said the paint chipped off the bottom because of sand on the greens, then got chipped more from taking the head cover on and off.

Does anyone know when or if the versions without the black line down the middle are going to be released?

Picked up a Spider X Copper/White yesterday and really looking forward to putting it in play this weekend!

My only issue is that none of the ones I’ve seen so far seem to have the grip fitted correctly...when I hold it with the grip what feels like square then it sits a good 5’ open

I guess it shouldn’t really matter as I’ll get used to it and the only option really is to try and remove/reset the shaft as the grip certainly isn’t going to be pullable!!

Picked up a Spider X Copper/White yesterday and really looking forward to putting it in play this weekend!

My only issue is that none of the ones I've seen so far seem to have the grip fitted correctly...when I hold it with the grip what feels like square then it sits a good 5' open

I guess it shouldn't really matter as I'll get used to it and the only option really is to try and remove/reset the shaft as the grip certainly isn't going to be pullable!!

Is it visually not lined up when you hold the putter and look down the shaft or does it just not feel lined up when you think your hands are square?

I'd check to make sure its visually lined up, if so that grip may just feel that way in your hands. The spine on the back is very pronounced and if your hands don't line up with it it may make it feel off line. I tried the previous version of this grip and got rid of it because of the very pronounced spine, I like a more gradual radius around the back. I actually really, really like the grips on the new Stroke Lab putters... I wonder if I could get one without all the Odyssey graphics?

Why wouldn't you be able to pull the grip and reinstall it? It should be pretty easy to do. Or at least get some solvent in there and loosen it up and twist it until you're comfortable with it.

Rolled a blue with white today. Never thought I would like the white alignment enhancement but I’m sold on it and the putter. It just all worked so nicely! Birthday is coming and now I know what I will be asking for!

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Concerned about this as well. It's what kept me from buying a black spider. Every single person I played with that had one always had chips in the paint. I get that a lot of people leave it in the back of their cart without a headcover and it gets beat up. Yet, a couple of guys that walk said the paint chipped off the bottom because of sand on the greens, then got chipped more from taking the head cover on and off.

Does anyone know when or if the versions without the black line down the middle are going to be released?

Ive played a black spider for 2 years, and no paint chips at all. I carry my bag and always use the putter cover, and never had any issues with paint chipping.

I've played a black spider for 2 years, and no paint chips at all. I carry my bag and always use the putter cover, and never had any issues with paint chipping.

Same, my black is two years old and hardly has a mark. Pictures posted a few pages back and play 2-3 times a week on less the perfect greens. I have however seen others with the paint is worn down to bare metal at the back weight bumpers. I can only assume the owner makes significant contact with the ground when he putts. I hover my putter slightly. Overall the paint seemed very robust and I certainly haven't treated the putter with utmost care and its taken a few solo flights through the air.

After 3 weeks my Spider X has no sign of wear, I could return it brand new. The white cover also had some black marks from the dirty glove I was wearing and it cleaned right off with a damp cloth.

Is that the one from Rorys bag? I was trying to find that online somewhere.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

I am not sure it was posted in another thread. I'm just hoping they release these specialty covers soon

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I am not sure it was posted in another thread. I'm just hoping they release these specialty covers soon

If my memory serves me well, I think TM has done some nice majors themed headcover releases. I am really eager to see what they have for The Masters or the US Open. Probably cost an arm and a leg, but it may be worth it for something like that.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

If my memory serves me well, I think TM has done some nice majors themed headcover releases. I am really eager to see what they have for The Masters or the US Open. Probably cost an arm and a leg, but it may be worth it for something like that.

Ya I remember them with the Green and Peach themed masters mallet and blade covers last year

https://community.taylormadegolf.com/t5/Blog/2018-MAJOR-EDITION-STAFF-BAGS-AND-HEADCOVERS-SEASON-OPENER/ba-p/2905

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Hated the flange model on the older ones. Always felt like the head wanted to rotate closed on all but the shortest putts.

But this flange nodel feels different. I seem to be able to keep the face square through the ball.

And distance control with these is exceptional.

Guess I'll have to work with them a bit and see.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X