Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Irons

JHag

After reading this entire thread's hype on the J40's DPC, I pulled the trigger on a set of these I stumbled across. Love the look and feel but got them in NS Pro 950's (stiff) and currently testing against my JPX 900 Tours which are in Steelfibers i95 (also stiff), the J40's are launching much higher and spinning about 1500 rpm's more - especially in the 8-PW - than the Tours which is resulting in about 10-12 yards of distance loss. I'm not a guy who needs to hit his irons far by any means but I don't like such a high flight with those clubs, do ya'll think this is the shaft or the heads?

Titleist TSR3 9* - 46'' Tensei 1K Pro White 50 TX 

Titleist TSi3 4W 14.5* - Tour AD DI Orange 8X

Titleist TSi2 3H 18* - Orangesicle X

Srixon ZK 5 4i - Modus 120x

Srixon ZK 7 5-PW - Modus 120x

Titleist Vokeys 52*,56*, 60* - S400

Rife Bimini Blade "Belinda" - gravity grip

The Bridgestone J40 DPC launched significantly higher than the MMC. Even significantly more than I would have expected from the loft difference in the two 7 irons. The degree of this difference really surprised me. As for distance, I was hitting with a pretty stiff wind at my back and the DPC was in the air so much longer that I am sure this contributed to it being significantly longer than the MMC (even though the MMC has the stronger loft).

Just picked some up too after reading this thread and was able to compare them on a launch monitor to my JPX Tour's and found the DPC launch significantly higher as well and I'm pretty sure they are the same lofts, only difference was they were also carrying about 10-12 yards shorter so I'm thinking it may have been the wind on your part.

After reading this entire thread's hype on the J40's DPC, I pulled the trigger on a set of these I stumbled across. Love the look and feel but got them in NS Pro 950's (stiff) and currently testing against my JPX 900 Tours which are in Steelfibers i95 (also stiff), the J40's are launching much higher and spinning about 1500 rpm's more - especially in the 8-PW - than the Tours which is resulting in about 10-12 yards of distance loss. I'm not a guy who needs to hit his irons far by any means but I don't like such a high flight with those clubs, do ya'll think this is the shaft or the heads?

Must be the shafts, the DPC are one degree stronger than the J40 CB.

Can you comment on the Steelfiber i95 stiff? I have a set of irons w/ these shafts, looking for feedback before I try them...I use DG S300 a lot.

I have a nice set of J40 DPC, 4-PW, I too would love to find a DPC 3 iron.

I got on the monitor today (no wind lol) and found the same thing you found. MUCH higher launch, more spin, and significantly less distance. And, the MMC felt better. I will give them one more try to evaluate dispersion vs the MMC. In other irons I have found the Steelfiber to promote lower ball flight and less spin than the Recoil shafts. The DPC certainly nullified that.

After one outing I am disappointed, but I may keep the shafts for a later use in another combination?

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Can you comment on the Steelfiber i95 stiff? I have a set of irons w/ these shafts, looking for feedback before I try them...I use DG S300 a lot.

Not meant for me but I have played the Steelfibers in a couple of heads prior to these. My thoughts:

1. They play and feel much more like steel than graphite

2. Controllable trajectory (of course depending on head)

3. They play stout for their flex

4. Stand on them all you want, they will hold up

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

When I had mine I had DG S300 in them and didn't have any spin issues. The were a little on the high side, but not necessarily in a bad way. I found them to be a club longer than the MP62 I played prior to them. Frankly I found them to go the distance I expect from any clubs with the same lofts. On the other hand I tried to MMC as I really thought that would be my next irons when they came out and I actually hit those shorter than I would've expected them to go given the strong lofts. Most likely a combination of that head with the PX LZ shaft I was hitting it with, but I really have no idea why some things work better for some people and worse for other people.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

Not meant for me but I have played the Steelfibers in a couple of heads prior to these. My thoughts:

Thanks, that is what I need. I have an athletic swing but don't swing hard so I put a lot of meat/muscle into the shaft at impact. I just can't ease up through impact or I spray right or snap left, so I gotta go full through the shot. What an art it is for those who can take something off the shot and execute. I was advised, and successfully, to just take a bit less club on approach shots and hit a solid full shot, even if I hit the front of the green all day...

Thanks, that is what I need. I have an athletic swing but don't swing hard so I put a lot of meat/muscle into the shaft at impact. I just can't ease up through impact or I spray right or snap left, so I gotta go full through the shot. What an art it is for those who can take something off the shot and execute. I was advised, and successfully, to just take a bit less club on approach shots and hit a solid full shot, even if I hit the front of the green all day...

Those 4 points are definitely spot on from rxk9fan. I was a S300 guy as well and was super worried about the weight of the Steelfibers being too light and if they'd hold up to my swing and surprisingly they felt strangely identical but I thought the Steelfibers were slightly smoother and my numbers were just a hair better in every category so I've been using them ever since.

It's funny, nearly everybody who spots me playing the graphites (I'm 6'4, 225 lbs) is surprised and always says "aren't those too whippy for you" and the only way I can explain how stout they are is to have them try them out for themselves.

I got on the monitor today (no wind lol) and found the same thing you found. MUCH higher launch, more spin, and significantly less distance. And, the MMC felt better. I will give them one more try to evaluate dispersion vs the MMC. In other irons I have found the Steelfiber to promote lower ball flight and less spin than the Recoil shafts. The DPC certainly nullified that.

After one outing I am disappointed, but I may keep the shafts for a later use in another combination?

Glad you got some hard numbers too. I played 18 on the SIM with the DPC last night and while I did have to club up nearly every time, my dispersion seemed very tight, and I was able to flight down a couple of 3/4 swing 9 irons and PW's, so it looks like I got a little more testing to do. Potentially a spin killer shaft like a stout Project X would be a better combination with this head. I would keep the Steelfibers if I were you as I've found them to be super versatile in nearly any iron although a little harsher than the Recoil shafts, also they can be expensive and somewhat hard to find a good deal on.

I only sold my set so I could jump in the single length pool. I loved the J40 DPC's! Mine were slightly off stock - PX 6.0 Flighted and soft stepped 1. That flighted shaft worked really well in these heads, prob why they were the stock offering. I have a set of Edel CB's as a test of sorts (I'm staying SL) and I liked the DPC's a lot more. Better feel for sure..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I played the DPC for 5 years and loved them, but sold them just to try something else. Went to the J15 CBs for some time and sold them out of boredom. Still searching for something I like as much as these two sets.

Titleist TSi3 10° - Diamana R Series 60

Cobra Rad 14.5° - Diamana BlueForce 70

Cobra F9 18.5° - Diamana BlueForce 80
Taylormade P790 (4-9) - Nippon Modus 105
Vokey 46F 50F 54S 58T - Nippon Modus 115
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

I only sold my set so I could jump in the single length pool. I loved the J40 DPC's! Mine were slightly off stock - PX 6.0 Flighted and soft stepped 1. That flighted shaft worked really well in these heads, prob why they were the stock offering. I have a set of Edel CB's as a test of sorts (I'm staying SL) and I liked the DPC's a lot more. Better feel for sure..

The Stock flighted PX flighted shaft was good in the DPC’s (If you got the right flex) but the PX LZ is even better.

The combo sets are better as you get the best of both the DPC and the CB irons. I have a set of the PXLZ shafts and will never get rid of them

Those 4 points are definitely spot on from rxk9fan. I was a S300 guy as well and was super worried about the weight of the Steelfibers being too light and if they'd hold up to my swing and surprisingly they felt strangely identical but I thought the Steelfibers were slightly smoother and my numbers were just a hair better in every category so I've been using them ever since.

It's funny, nearly everybody who spots me playing the graphites (I'm 6'4, 225 lbs) is surprised and always says "aren't those too whippy for you" and the only way I can explain how stout they are is to have them try them out for themselves.

Love to hear this. I'm 6' but weighing in at 230lbs but that's because I still hit the squat rack at the gym w/ a professional trainer, and also still eat too much, hence the 230lbs.

I played the DPC for 5 years and loved them, but sold them just to try something else. Went to the J15 CBs for some time and sold them out of boredom. Still searching for something I like as much as these two sets.

Have you tried the new Tour B X CB's? They don't look as good as the J40 or J15 but I've read that they are SWEET! I have almost every iteration of BStone but haven't tried the Tour B X CB's...and I'm now tempting myself...

Have you tried the new Tour B X CB's? They don't look as good as the J40 or J15 but I've read that they are SWEET! I have almost every iteration of BStone but haven't tried the Tour B X CB's...and I'm now tempting myself...

I have been eyeing them!!

Titleist TSi3 10° - Diamana R Series 60

Cobra Rad 14.5° - Diamana BlueForce 70

Cobra F9 18.5° - Diamana BlueForce 80
Taylormade P790 (4-9) - Nippon Modus 105
Vokey 46F 50F 54S 58T - Nippon Modus 115
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

Alright, after their strong showing the other night I'm going to put them mono-a-mono against my beloved JPX 900 Tours tonight on the SIM and take extensive notes. Full 18 holes with played with their own balls to see who comes out on top. If the DPCs have a strong showing I'll practice with them more until the snow melts here in MN and then we can have a proper showdown outside between the two. Now, what course to play....

How did the test go? Those JPX look great too, I've never tried, only use Bridgestone.

DPCs beat the Tours by 2 strokes at Bandon Dunes. I hit 3 more GIRs with the DPCs too. The Bridgestones performed really well and were a blast to play with and will have to stay in contention until I can try them outside. There is more forgiveness and a softer feel with the DPC's and I feel like I'm not giving up any accuracy. We'll see how they play with some outdoor elements but I am very optimistic and am enjoying them more and more the more I get to hit them.

I am going to put mine side by side with my MMC's on a Trackman Friday. My expectations are the MMC's are currently a couple of degrees stronger than the DPC's. I will have a fitter there with me to bend as I want. My plan is to make sure the MMC's are all one degree strong from standard as ordered from Mizuno, and then bend the DPC's to the exact same. Then I will see how distance and dispersion compare while hoping not to negatively effect bounce to the point the DPC's dig (my expectations are they will need bent 2 degrees). It should be a fun!

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

• 4 weeks later...

Ha! you too huh?

I've been fighting my inner club ho, testing out different irons...I think I know why I love these so much. It's almost impossible to find another set of irons with such a thin top line that's not a total blade. Seems like literally every other iron head on the market is chunkier than hell.

Any other irons with a fair amount of forgiveness that look as sleek as the J40s from above?

I've been fighting my inner club ho, testing out different irons...I think I know why I love these so much. It's almost impossible to find another set of irons with such a thin top line that's not a total blade. Seems like literally every other iron head on the market is chunkier than hell.

Any other irons with a fair amount of forgiveness that look as sleek as the J40s from above?

To me, the only other viable candidate are the Ping i e1 irons.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

OK great, now just need some snow to melt and temps to go up about 30 degrees here!

Ping S56 are awesome irons, look much like the J40 CB at address, excellent performers...hard to find a nice set nowadays though, I had them and shot a few great rounds w/ them, then sold them to try out other clubs. If I could find a mint set of the S56, I'd consider using them again...most definitely...

Ha! you too huh?

Yup! Shoot my best scores w/ the Bridgestones, just awesome clubs.

I got a test pack of J40 DPCs back when the model was launched. I got two 5i +9i pairs, one shafted with DG SL R300 and the second with NS Pro 950 R-flex.

Both flew fairly well at practice range, but due to bad spring weather I had to return them without taking them onto course. Ended up reshafting my Calla X20 Tours two seasons later with NS Pro 8950GH (launches slightly higher than NS Pro 950)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Played someone my best rounds with my old j36 pocket cavities. Might have to pull em out soon. To bad I didnt take care of them I let the shafts get pitted.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron