2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

SC300 coming in January!?!?

I think limited flight balls does affect the numbers, but I could be wrong.

I have used mine 3 times now, I really like this, especially the app, tracking data.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

I have used mine 3 times now, I really like this, especially the app, tracking data.

I emailed customer support and got the following response, but am still wary:

“Hello,

Range balls or is worst case "range rocks" are able to be accurately recorded.

Swing speed and ball speed are measured independently to give best reading.

We also see massive improvements regarding wedge shots due to launch angle and apex height.

We also lowered shot minimum to 15 yards so even chip shots can be recorded. “

“Hello,

We also see massive improvements regarding wedge shots due to launch angle and apex height.

It does say on the website that limited flight or almost golf balls are not accurately measured.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

“Hello,

It does say on the website that limited flight or almost golf balls are not accurately measured.

I do see that now; thanks! Think I’ll be holding off for now.

I haven't gotten to compare it against GC2 yet but it does seem fairly accurate. I have tested it and had some friends test it. It does misread some shots that are hit really thin with irons. There is no spin numbers, hoping that gets added at a later date.

Overall it's a great tool for working on your swing, but it's not a replacement for a GC2 or Flight Scope. If you're using a home range or indoor range, the Mevo may be a better value if you place the dots on the balls to get spin reading. If you're at an outdoor range or on course, I don't see much difference but I do like the built in screen and ability to use it without an app over the Mevo.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Unless I am completely mistaken, there is no way they are "measuring spin" with this and there is no way they are going to be eventually. There is a reason mevo uses dots. Its the only way to read spin without trackman level radar sofistication. It absolutely has to be a calculation. There are ways this can be done decently well, and I am not trying to pretend I am an expert I just know enough about these things to be dangerous.

If it directly measures apex of the ball flight somehow, it should be able to back calculate spin much more accurately but again, ball behavior doesn't play by the rules of chart interpolation. There are always areas where this style of calculation breaks down. 2 things that come to mind are modern hollow iron heads and purposeful knockdowns other special shots. With the irons, they can productle similar apexes to traditional clubs from what I have observed but the spin is much lower. Maybe that is something they can counter act when they combine apex data to club loft input idk. Highly doubt they can capture special shots accurately.

Interested though to read about more tests as they come in. Would love to be wrong about this device.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Unless I am completely mistaken, there is no way they are "measuring spin" with this and there is no way they are going to be eventually. There is a reason mevo uses dots. Its the only way to read spin without trackman level radar sofistication. It absolutely has to be a calculation. There are ways this can be done decently well, and I am not trying to pretend I am an expert I just know enough about these things to be dangerous.

If it directly measures apex of the ball flight somehow, it should be able to back calculate spin much more accurately but again, ball behavior doesn't play by the rules of chart interpolation. There are always areas where this style of calculation breaks down. 2 things that come to mind are modern hollow iron heads and purposeful knockdowns other special shots. With the irons, they can productle similar apexes to traditional clubs from what I have observed but the spin is much lower. Maybe that is something they can counter act when they combine apex data to club loft input idk. Highly doubt they can capture special shots accurately.

Interested though to read about more tests as they come in. Would love to be wrong about this device.

I'm assuming SC300 will have to use dots in order to read spin as well, if it's even possible. I have no interest in using dots as it's only feasible hitting into a net and I'd prefer the feedback of ball flight over what a device is estimating or calculating.

I also agree about the specialty shots, it's a tool that can be made more accurate but it's never going to be 100%. I'm more interested in the feedback from a grass range and seeing how swing changes affect the data along with the ability to observe ball flight. I'm fortunate to have access to a GC2 when I need more accurate data off of mats.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I have the SC300, and have a few sessions under my belt. I did have some trouble with the unit resetting club head loft degrees each time I used it u til I set the app up right. I spoke to them at Voice Caddie about it and there is a few bugs in their app software (for example the 5 iron setting in the app doesn’t have a 25* setting, just two 24* in the drop down choice, likely the person coding missed this value). But in the unit you can adjust manually each time you hit it (not a problem if your 5i isn’t 25*).

It does not measure spin, in my conversation they are waiting to add that, as they are working on an upgrade to the firmware. The Mevo does measure spin, and the folks at Mevo told me that you only need the dots inside, as it accurately will measure spin outdoors with out dots (this is an area that has me doubting whether to return the sc300 and go Mevo, or wait and hope with the sc300).

As far as accuracy I have found that the SW is not accurate, I was hitting one the range this AM in 70* temps no breeze and was measuring each shot’s total flight with a laser. The SC300 came up short with each shot by anywhere between 8-12 yards. I found the 9 iron on down very accurate though. The 9 iron was scary accurate ever on mis-hits. The driver was accurate for the most part, it when I hit a double cross or hard hook, it often would misread distance. (Ball would go 240-250 and would register 270-280). On solidly hit shots I found it accurate with woods and hybrids.

**All shots were on a grass range**

I will have a few more range sessions while I’m down here in Florida and then decide. I wish I had a Mevo for a side by side comparison .

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

Regarding spin, the sc300 does measure it but they temporarily disabled the ability to see the reading on the app. Before the first firmware update you could see it. I emailed them and they said they working on spin accuracy and the feature would come back in the future.

Been trying to decide between this and the Mevo. Spin was a big reason for Mevo, but I really liked the display of the SC300 and not having use an iphone to see results. Will you need to use silver dots to get spin on the SC300?

Eric

I don't think you will have to use dots since it was displaying spin prior to the most recent update and there was no mention of dots in the original manual posted online. I really don't know for sure though. You could email swing caddie to check

Does anyone know how it supposedly measures spin? I think it would take a pretty sensitive radar and clever programming to actually measure it. I have seen devices like these in the past say they "measure" something but actually don't. They back calculate it.

Bought one for our golf team. Used it yesterday for the first time, and we were pleased. Thin shots were not accurate, but well struck balls seemed to be pretty accurate when we lasered them by having a player stand where it landed. Really like the target feature for our players, we would set it to certain distances and have wedge contests.

For those that are buying or interested in any of these swing caddie products, I thought I would give some hopefully helpful consumer advice because it seems a lot of people I run into are naive about the device limitations. My advice would be to research the thing thoroughly regarding what it can and cannot do. Decide also how worth it is to you to have ACCURATE carry distance vs ESTIMATED which is what these things do.

If buying the SC300, make sure you know what it directly measures and what it doesn't. I hate to see people waste money on things they think are more than they are. I see people "tricked" all too often in the golf industry.

I have an SC100 but really only own it for ball speed and club speed, which it does decently well (plenty of misreads but often gets it close to right, especially with ball speed). The carry distance and stuff is worthless to me because it is not accurate.

I think something needs to be pointed out.

The SC300 (and most other low-end launch montitors) use radar to actually track the golf ball and are fine for outdoor use; there is no distance estimation made based on ball speed and clubhead speed unless you are hitting indoors. The reason that the high end monitors offer so much more is that, besides this same radar-tracking technology, they also have high-speed cameras that record the clubhead and ball departure at 1000 frames per second and extrapolate things like spin from that. These are better for hitting indoors as there is much more information available with which to accurately predict ball flight; in other words, even high-end monitors give estimates versus actuals when used indoors but they do so with more data points as inputs.

For those that are buying or interested in any of these swing caddie products, I thought I would give some hopefully helpful consumer advice because it seems a lot of people I run into are naive about the device limitations. My advice would be to research the thing thoroughly regarding what it can and cannot do. Decide also how worth it is to you to have ACCURATE carry distance vs ESTIMATED which is what these things do.

If buying the SC300, make sure you know what it directly measures and what it doesn't. I hate to see people waste money on things they think are more than they are. I see people "tricked" all too often in the golf industry.

I have an SC100 but really only own it for ball speed and club speed, which it does decently well (plenty of misreads but often gets it close to right, especially with ball speed). The carry distance and stuff is worthless to me because it is not accurate.

I think something needs to be pointed out.

The SC300 (and most other low-end launch montitors) use radar to actually track the golf ball and are fine for outdoor use; there is no distance estimation made based on ball speed and clubhead speed unless you are hitting indoors. The reason that the high end monitors offer so much more is that, besides this same radar-tracking technology, they also have high-speed cameras that record the clubhead and ball departure at 1000 frames per second and extrapolate things like spin from that. These are better for hitting indoors as there is much more information available with which to accurately predict ball flight; in other words, even high-end monitors give estimates versus actuals when used indoors but they do so with more data points as inputs.

None of the good radar units combine high speed cameras for indoor use. Strong emphasis on the word good. Other than trackman and flightscope, no launch monitor tracks ball flight all the way outdoors. Trackman and flightscope are known for not being very good indoors compared to a gc2, gcq or even skytrak. They are designed to measure entire flight which they are very good at and why outdoors they are the best. Indoors, you have to model ball flight no matter what. So high speed cameras are best.

The SC100, SC200 were no able to measure launch angle, or spin, or launch direction or spin axis so they just took ball speed, and then guessed at carry distance based on some kind of chart for typical spin and carry distance with said club. SC200 let you choose loft which can help but it still is only going to be somewhat accurate if you pure the shot, aren't using the new hollow low spin irons and don't hit anything too crooked.

SC300 claims to measure launch angle, apex and spin. Those can certainly help backsolve a somewhat accurate carry distance and for more shot types but it is still not going to be good enough, at least for me.

I want to know how they "measure" things. I am very skeptical that it can actually measure spin. That is hard to do with radar without some kind of highly reflective sticker given what I know about radar.

I just want to issue caution to people buying these things expecting manufacturers claims to be real. The golf industry doesn't work that way. They live off of vaguery and misinformation. I also see a lot of unbiased reviews that show a golf product in a truly honest light, not stay visible for long on the internet.

Hmmm. I read somewhere that the radar tracking in the low-end units was good up to about 300m. Is that not the case, then?

Also, I'd have thought that launch angle was measurable with any radar device? You only need to know the direction of travel for a few feet after impact to work that out, no? Surely, if a device is capable of knowing where an object is (in order to measure the speed of that object), then it knows where that object is relative to it's starting position.

I wish all this "how-type" information was readily available as, like you, I'd like to be better-informed about what each device actually does.

Totally with you on spin, by the way...

Hmmm. I read somewhere that the radar tracking in the low-end units was good up to about 300m. Is that not the case, then?

Also, I'd have thought that launch angle was measurable with any radar device? You only need to know the direction of travel for a few feet after impact to work that out, no? Surely, if a device is capable of knowing where an object is (in order to measure the speed of that object), then it knows where that object is relative to it's starting position.

I wish all this "how-type" information was readily available as, like you, I'd like to be better-informed about what each device actually does.

I am not aware of any good radar unit other than trackman and flightscope that track the ball for anything other than a few feet. ES junk I do not even consider. Their stuff is garbage and they have over promised and under delivered with ES16 and will do the same with 2020. You don't see much for technical information of these devices but their really should be. If I had the money to do so, I would do a youtube channel that gets to the bottom of all of these golf devices and aids. No nonsense open, honest and detailed reviews are few and far between in the golf world.

SC300 may very well track the ball for a ways, it would have to in order to get apex. I ask myself though, what is its radar beam width, will it capture abnormally high or low shots with accuracy? Does it miss a lot of shots? Does it have trouble seeing ball amongst turf chaff?

My apologies regarding my attitude about this stuff. I have been burned too many times by golf stuff that promises a lot and does not deliver. A lot of these companies could and should be sued for false and misleading advertising imo.

All I got to say is it pays to research the crap out of any golf related device before buying, or at the very least, make sure the return policy is bullet proof before you buy.

If I had the money to do so, I would do a youtube channel that gets to the bottom of all of these golf devices and aids. No nonsense open, honest and detailed reviews are few and far between in the golf world.

Takes very little to get a YT channel up-and-running. I'd subscribe :)

My apologies regarding my attitude about this stuff.

None detected!

If I had the money to do so, I would do a youtube channel that gets to the bottom of all of these golf devices and aids. No nonsense open, honest and detailed reviews are few and far between in the golf world.

None detected!

Ha thanks, but I meant the money to buy the stuff to review. Nobody in their right mind would want to give me a product to review lol. I will find any and all flaws it has.

None detected!

Ha thanks, but I meant the money to buy the stuff to review. Nobody in their right mind would want to give me a product to review lol. I will find any and all flaws it has.

Yeah, after I'd posted it occurred to me where you were coming from...

Maybe a neighbourly fellow WRXer will let you have access to their stuff for that purpose?

I am not aware of any good radar unit other than trackman and flightscope that track the ball for anything other than a few feet. ES junk I do not even consider. Their stuff is garbage and they have over promised and under delivered with ES16 and will do the same with 2020. You don't see much for technical information of these devices but their really should be. If I had the money to do so, I would do a youtube channel that gets to the bottom of all of these golf devices and aids. No nonsense open, honest and detailed reviews are few and far between in the golf world.

SC300 may very well track the ball for a ways, it would have to in order to get apex. I ask myself though, what is its radar beam width, will it capture abnormally high or low shots with accuracy? Does it miss a lot of shots? Does it have trouble seeing ball amongst turf chaff?

My apologies regarding my attitude about this stuff. I have been burned too many times by golf stuff that promises a lot and does not deliver. A lot of these companies could and should be sued for false and misleading advertising imo.

All I got to say is it pays to research the crap out of any golf related device before buying, or at the very least, make sure the return policy is bullet proof before you buy.

The SC300 has issues providing accurate data on very thin shots and it does miss a few that are hit too close to the toe or heel. That said the GC2 isn't perfect on those shots either.

I think with any purchase there's always a trade off. I am in no way touting the SC300 as a perfect device but it provides a lot of the data I'm interested in relatively accurately at a price that seems fair given the price of a Flightscope or GC2. If they add spin without the need for dots and it's close to accurate then it's really a great deal.

I wouldn't suggest it for a club fitting unless spin is added and accurate but for range work it's been very helpful in working on my swing.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Interesting. Although he gets a Smash Factor of 1.86 with his driver (timestamp 8:08)

I’ve just bought this. The numbers seem spot on except if it’s a terrible shot, but I don’t want numbers for my mishits.

I’ve only been playing two years and am working on my swing, so the I’m really benefiting from the extra feedback on distance, calibrating which club I should be hitting as I improve, and helping me focus on the range with the target mode

There is a bug which I have reported which I imagine will be corrected in the next firmware update...it’s exactly the problem described above. The numbers on the main screen don’t show the correct smash factor average. If you go onto the club data or the individual shots the numbers are correct, but just not on the first page that shows all your clubs. It was fairly obvious to me that it was a maths coding problem when I saw I was getting an average smash factor if 8.83 with my 7 iron

I got a reply to my email to voice caddie (below), I don't think they fully understood my issue with the summary screen showing the wrong average for smash factor, but I'll reply with screen shots to illustrate it.

I thought the info was interesting, at least I now know whats measured, but I'm not sure how accurate the calculated results are likely to be, and how this compares with other launch monitors

Hello,

Smash factor is calculated by ball speed divided by swing speed in our units.

This is main reason we see high smash factor readings compared to other launch monitors.

Spin was removed due to inconsistence as we are not going to add special stickers to the ball.

At this time we are fixing app to include showing difference between carry and total.

Total is estimated by yardage and club selection.

Swing speed, ball speed and launch angle are being measured.

Yardage, apex height, and smash factor are calculated off primary measurements.

"Smash factor is calculated by ball speed divided by swing speed in our units. This is main reason we see high smash factor readings compared to other launch monitors."

That makes no sense. Smash factor is swing speed divided by ball speed. If they are seeing high numbers for SF it isn't because the maths is wrong, it's because BS is overstated or SS is understated.