2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The 80s Song Appreciation Thread

jackbauer

I've learned a lot from the 60s and 70s thread and figured there should be one for the 80s as well.

The first thing that came to mind was

by Baltimora, which I recognized as the oh-ah-oh-ah-oh-ah-oh-AH-OH-AH song until about five years ago. I can still see
and Casey Jones at the bar with the samurai (1:24:20 mark). Don't hate me ... I grew up in the 90s.
  • Like 1

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (34)

Literally the most fun I've ever had was playing gran Turismo 3 listening to "she sells sanctuary" by the cult back in like 2000. I am pretty sure all of our girlfriends dumped us that summer over that. But the times we had with the electronic Porsche CTR2 sport live on!

I still listen to it a lot!

I'll contribute more to this for sure

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Who's Behind The Door - Zebra

Tell Me What You Want - Zebra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCtnH4dxZxg

Both from their 1983 debut album.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

The 80s was a greatly under estimated time for music.

This is one of my favorites from this famous band. I saw them in the fall of '85 when they opened for Burning Spear, and then again on this tour in a small bar. I bet there were 200 people there, and they were absolutely incredible!

https://www.youtube....mdEOAH5xE may open up some eyes to their beginnings before Californication.

This album was unreal as a debut. I didnt get to see them for a few years, but they were amazing in concert. The first time I saw them Primus opened up for them, the second time was in a little theater around here.

I have seen some dud concerts, but these two bands delivered well above the $10 ticket price.

• Like 1

I celebrate all 80s music - rock, pop, new wave, even country-western. But in my heart I am a hair metal guy, and am a sucker for "power ballads". The old monster ballads CD was a favorite of mine... Every bad boy has a soft side. I'll pull some deeper ones to get going:

Angel Eyes - Jeff Healy Band

I'll See You In My Dreams - Giant

Carrie - Europe

Million Miles Away - Hanoi Rocks

Don't Close Your Eyes - Kix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRx0NIvwQQg

I celebrate all 80s music - rock, pop, new wave, even country-western. But in my heart I am a hair metal guy, and am a sucker for "power ballads". The old monster ballads CD was a favorite of mine... Every bad boy has a soft side. I'll pull some deeper ones to get going:

Angel Eyes - Jeff Healy Band

I'll See You In My Dreams - Giant

Carrie - Europe

Million Miles Away - Hanoi Rocks

Don't Close Your Eyes - Kix https://www.youtube....h?v=JRx0NIvwQQg

Haven't heard that Kix song in forever. Great tune. Good to hear it again.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

They sort of span the late '70s and 80s, but I think they qualify as an 80s band certainly. And completely underrated.

Lots of good tracks, but this one has always been a favorite:

220px-DevoFreedomofChoice.jpg

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

The 80's were great - everything from catchy pop and hair metal to heavy and speed metal. Most people know of Poison, Motley Crue, Slayer, etc. so here's a few lesser known 80's bands/songs.

Hair metal:

Roxx Gang - Ball n Chain https://www.youtube....h?v=Qy2WZm5OF3c

Cats in Boots - Her Monkey

Bangalore Choir - Angel in Black

Rock:

Fifth Angel - Fifth Angel

Speed/Thrash:

Dark Angel - Death is Certain (Life is Not)

(this cd is just as good, if not better, than Slayer's "Reign in Blood")

Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
Super LS/Tisi Tec/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
Halo/4DX
X-20/XL2000/EX-1/GC Mid/TFT2003
ISI W2
X-Forged Vintage/Eye2+
WHT 7H

Here's another band I picked up on in my high school career that I still listen to. They didn't put out too many duds, IMO. As with most bands I really enjoyed as a youngster, I also saw these guys multiple times in varying venues. Different energy than the bands previously mentioned, but I would absolutely do it again.

• Like 1

Find Your Way Back - Jefferson Starship (Modern Times - 1981)

You Can't Kill Rock and Roll - Ozzie Ozbourne (Diary Of A Madman - 1981)

Both require a full twist to the right for complete functionality.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Here's another band I picked up on in my high school career that I still listen to. They didn't put out too many duds, IMO. As with most bands I really enjoyed as a youngster, I also saw these guys multiple times in varying venues. Different energy than the bands previously mentioned, but I would absolutely do it again.

Michael Stipe in interviews used to make me cringe but I was able to see REM in LA in the late 80s. I gotta admit they were fantastic live. Probably the best show I'd been to.

Find Your Way Back - Jefferson Starship (Modern Times - 1981)

You Can't Kill Rock and Roll - Ozzie Ozbourne (Diary Of A Madman - 1981)

Both require a full twist to the right for complete functionality.

I saw them in middle school (I was the last kid and was raised by wolves), and besides, I was a good kid at Kansas in 5th grade. Anyway, I won’t ever forget when JS did this song.

Love threads like this,, I was still listening to CCR, Neil Young, and the like. But,, I rocked bands like The Replacements, Husker DU, and any traveling basement band..

Funny,, my memory of the 80"s is kinda hazy...

Edit: by love I mean taking time to listen to the music again...

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

The Replacements were and are still one of my favorites. Caught them live as well and they were not fall down drunk so was good show. They petered out way too quick leaving a lot on the table.

Yeah,, I almost remember the urgency of seeing them thinking it may never happen again.. Paul was wearing Green Doc's and I swear half my friend group had some by the end of the following week..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

You guys like Phil Collins? Been a big Genesis fan, ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand, any of their work, too artsy, too intellectual .. It was on Duke, where, uh, Phil Collins presence became more apparent .. I think "Invisible Touch" is the group's undisputed masterpiece .. It's an epic meditation on intangibility .. at the same time it deepens and enriches the meaning of the proceeding three albums .. listen the to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins, and Rutherford, you can practically hear every nuance of every instrument .. in terms of lyrical craftsmanship and sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism .. take the lyrics to 'Land of Confusion", in this song Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority .. "In Too Deep", is the most moving pop song of the 1980s about monogamy and commitment .. the song is extremely uplifting, the lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock .. Phil Collins solo career, seems to be more commercial, and therefore more satisfying in a narrower way, especially songs like, "In The Air Tonight" and, uh, "Against All Odds" .. but I also think, Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and i stress the word, artist .. this is "Susudeo", a great, great song, a personal favorite

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The Replacements were and are still one of my favorites. Caught them live as well and they were not fall down drunk so was good show. They petered out way too quick leaving a lot on the table.

Yeah,, I almost remember the urgency of seeing them thinking it may never happen again.. Paul was wearing Green Doc's and I swear half my friend group had some by the end of the following week..

I saw them after Bob had been fired. And, as a basement band, it was appropriate I saw them in the basement of the Syria Mosque in PGH. What a fun show.

You guys like Phil Collins? Been a big Genesis fan, ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand, any of their work, too artsy, too intellectual .. It was on Duke, where, uh, Phil Collins presence became more apparent .. I think "Invisible Touch" is the group's undisputed masterpiece .. It's an epic meditation on intangibility .. at the same time it deepens and enriches the meaning of the proceeding three albums .. listen the to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins, and Rutherford, you can practically hear every nuance of every instrument .. in terms of lyrical craftsmanship and sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism .. take the lyrics to 'Land of Confusion", in this song Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority .. "In Too Deep", is the most moving pop song of the 1980s about monogamy and commitment .. the song is extremely uplifting, the lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock .. Phil Collins solo career, seems to be more commercial, and therefore more satisfying in a narrower way, especially songs like, "In The Air Tonight" and, uh, "Against All Odds" .. but I also think, Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and i stress the word, artist .. this is "Susudeo", a great, great song, a personal favorite

I saw Phil on his No Jacket Required tour at the Spectrum. Oddly enough, I now listen to Genesis exclusively and have not heard a Phil solo song in forever. And you are correct, he/they are/were great artists.

I saw them after Bob had been fired. And, as a basement band, it was appropriate I saw them in the basement of the Syria Mosque in PGH. What a fun show.

He (Bob) must have been incredibly messed up to be fired from that band.

What cracks me up is Tommy. I mean here he is, 12 year old kid who is probably semi neglected thrust into spotlight. All he's ever really known is being in a famous band. It's like. "Uhhh... I'm just gonna pass on the formative years thing."

I got around to looking up the Syria Mosque. Granted just looked at wikipedia but was not what I expected. The name really threw me off not sounding like a concert venue lol... Quite a history there.

They sort of span the late '70s and 80s, but I think they qualify as an 80s band certainly. And completely underrated.

Lots of good tracks, but this one has always been a favorite:

220px-DevoFreedomofChoice.jpg

Along those lines, don't forget Wall of Voodoo

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

Much of my 80s was spent playing beer pong. Not the beer pong sissies play today, we played true blue beer pong with paddles. There were 4 of us, sometimes more, and we would change the album after one side, and everyone got a pick. We had about 2000 albums to choose from, and the genres were varied from 60s/70s to Zoogz Rift. This album was always on the short list for us, and it still holds up in my opinion. When you can sing, "my girlfriend asked me which one like better/ I hope the answer don't upset her" you know you have the makings for a smash hit. There were no weak songs on this album, but played some serious fast paced pong when this side was on.

Here's a couple that I remember most vividly. One of my regrets is never seeing them live.

• Like 2