Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro Series.

vanya

I hit both side by side and didn't notice much of a difference in forgiveness, BUT I was not on a launch monitor and hitting off mats. Add to the equation that I really, really like the Pros so some bias may be in play as well. I hit the 5/7/PW of the HM, HM Pro, and forged.

I am surprised by the lack of reviews out there. Only 1 or 2 that I have seen so far.

edit: i'm a 9 handicap but tend to use a lot of the club face :swoon:

I had probably commented in another thread, but hit the HMPro 7-iron compared to my 919F 7-iron (Modus120 shafts in both) and the results were essentially the same.

Club speed 92-93MPH, ball speed right around 122-123MPH, launch 17-18°, carry around 181-182, and backspin in the vicinity of 7,500RPM (all with my new ball). Probably 8-10 balls each on the monitor, and weird how close they all were. I'm sure the Pro's would be a touch more forgiving - and they did feel nice - but it made me glad that I wasn't going to regret the 919F purchase. May think about a 4-iron from the Pro line down the road, but there is no big hurry.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

Is anyone gaming the generic Gap Wedge with the HM Pro (or even I guess the regular HM)?

Getting close to ordering a set of the HM Pro but it seems strange to me to have three different types of clubs at the bottom of the bag -- HM Pro PW, generic 919/HM GW, then specialty wedges.

So probably going to go 4-PW in HM Pro, and then just a set of "matching" 50/54/58 wedges (still deciding what these will be, but probably Ping Glide 2.0 Stealths, SS grinds in the 50 and 54, ES grind in the 58). I'd prefer to go 4-GW in the same set of irons (since GW is still a "full swing" club for me 90%+ of the time and I use the 54/58 for different specialty shots), and will do that if I end up going with a different set of irons with my fitting, but it seems strange to do it when the GW is so different from the set PW (i.e. GW has MORE offset than the PW, and then just my OCD kicking in on the paint fill).

Is anyone gaming the generic Gap Wedge with the HM Pro (or even I guess the regular HM)?

Getting close to ordering a set of the HM Pro but it seems strange to me to have three different types of clubs at the bottom of the bag -- HM Pro PW, generic 919/HM GW, then specialty wedges.

So probably going to go 4-PW in HM Pro, and then just a set of "matching" 50/54/58 wedges (still deciding what these will be, but probably Ping Glide 2.0 Stealths, SS grinds in the 50 and 54, ES grind in the 58). I'd prefer to go 4-GW in the same set of irons (since GW is still a "full swing" club for me 90%+ of the time and I use the 54/58 for different specialty shots), and will do that if I end up going with a different set of irons with my fitting, but it seems strange to do it when the GW is so different from the set PW (i.e. GW has MORE offset than the PW, and then just my OCD kicking in on the paint fill).

i am but i only have some range time and about 3 rounds in with it. i love it. feels great. distance is reliable for me and it's pretty forgiving. i thin you should go hit one for sure

The HM GW does look a little funny compared to the Pro PW since it’s bigger. Visually, the forged GW looks more in place and blends better but I can’t speak to performance differences. I put both GW next to the Pro PW and would probably order the forged GW if I had to without actually testing performance differences. Specialty GW obviously is a 3rd option.

The HM GW does look a little funny compared to the Pro PW since it's bigger. Visually, the forged GW looks more in place and blends better but I can't speak to performance differences. I put both GW next to the Pro PW and would probably order the forged GW if I had to without actually testing performance differences. Specialty GW obviously is a 3rd option.

That is a good idea I hadn't thought about, blending in the Forged GW instead of the HM GW. Will definitely have to do some testing with that, the HM GW and then just a Specialty GW and see what feels good and looks good in terms of actually filling the gap as well.

I've hit the forged extensively. I hit the hot metal pro 4-5 different times on launch monitor. I liked the feel and consistency of the forged and didn't see much of a difference in forgiveness with the HM Pro. Ordered regular Hot Metal 4 iron and 5-9 in forged. I didn't love the look of the pitching wedge so ordered Ping 46 degree stealth glide 2

I just bought the Ping Stealth 54 SS and 58 ES to go with my 900 forged. I use the 900 forged gap wedge at 50 degrees and transitions very nicely into the Pings. The 900 forged wedge and gap wedge are compact with a thin top line and look great. You could probably pick one up for a song on the bay to match your set.

Does anyone know if they are going to do a 2 / 3 iron so we can have a driving iron? Like the idea of a my 919 tours with a hot metal pro 2 iron.

99% they wont.

Mizuno has the FliHi UDI for that dont they?

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Does anyone know if they are going to do a 2 / 3 iron so we can have a driving iron? Like the idea of a my 919 tours with a hot metal pro 2 iron.

99% they wont.

Mizuno has the FliHi UDI for that dont they?

I think the only chance for some type of new 2-iron would be around the British Open when more players start wanting a 2-iron or some type of driving iron.

The HM GW does look a little funny compared to the Pro PW since it's bigger. Visually, the forged GW looks more in place and blends better but I can't speak to performance differences. I put both GW next to the Pro PW and would probably order the forged GW if I had to without actually testing performance differences. Specialty GW obviously is a 3rd option.

That is a good idea I hadn't thought about, blending in the Forged GW instead of the HM GW. Will definitely have to do some testing with that, the HM GW and then just a Specialty GW and see what feels good and looks good in terms of actually filling the gap as well.

I had my first look at the HMPs yesterday and came to the same conclusion. GW just looks off and the forged seems like a better fit, even with the regular HMs IMO.

The offset progression looks like it would be tough to blend these with the Forged and/or Tour. Seems a bit weird that the offset is les than the both the Forged and the Tour, but it's a really good looking club. Definitely planning on adding these to my testing list for the upcoming season.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Ordered a set of HMP's yesterday, should be here in time for a quick trip to Phoenix in a couple weeks. I went through a fitting last fall when the 919 line was released and was fitted into the Tours but I didn't want to get new irons heading into winter, so I waited. I had also heard the whispers of the the HMP's being released later and I was curious to see this "players" distance iron. IMO they were worth the wait. I thought I would not like them immediately because they were not forged and I have play forged Mizuno's for a long time (except for a brief PXG experiment last year). I could tell the difference but it was not as big as I thought. All the numbers were good, so that was that.

5-GW Modus Pro 120...I was also hesitant regarding the GW in the HMP but decided to give it a chance. I play S18 wedges already so a 50 could be inserted easily if needed.

Ping G430 LST (GD AD IZ} 10° 
Titleist TSr 2 FW (GD AD DI) 14.5°
Titleist TSr 2 Hybrid (GD AD DI) 18° 
Ping i530 5-UW (KBS Tour S 120)
Ping S159 52° & 57°, Glide Pro 62°
Ping PLD Anser D 

That’s what I did. Went with forged gap wedge with my HM pro set. Visually it made more sense and I really like the forged any way. Love the extra ball speed from the pros.

Current Gamers
TBD 10.5*, Tour AD IZ 5R
ROGUE MAX 3HL, Heavenwood

PING G410  22*, 26* Hybrids 

PXG Gen5 0311P 7-GW, steelfiber 70
CALLAWAY  MD5 - 56*, 60*
Tour Issue Evnroll ER8 Black, 355 g
2021 Maxfli Tour
2021 PROV1

I was going back and forth with either the Pros or the forged...but you’re right, I didn’t notice a big difference in feels. The minor difference in feel was not worth the difference in cost.

You could get an extra club or two with that cost difference.

Mizuno may have created a product that will cannibalize its higher priced and more premium offering. Who knows, margins may be much much higher on the cast Hot Metals so it may not matter from a financial perspective.

The offset progression looks like it would be tough to blend these with the Forged and/or Tour. Seems a bit weird that the offset is les than the both the Forged and the Tour, but it's a really good looking club. Definitely planning on adding these to my testing list for the upcoming season.

https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

The HMP has slightly more offset than the Tour.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Titleist U*505 ('23) 4i

TaylorMade P790 ('23) 5-AW

Taylor Made MG4 56*
Titleist SM8 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

TaylorMade TP5x Pix

Vessel Lite Lux

It would have made more sense to have the offset be more than the forged, less than the Original HM, but it looks likes it’s between the tour and the forge.

It would have made more sense to have the offset be more than the forged, less than the Original HM, but it looks likes it’s between the tour and the forge.

Agree. Saw these today and I didn't like the look at address. The combination of minimal offset, but chunky lines looked weird to me. I actually liked the looks of the regular HM better. Didn't hit either of them though.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

https://golf.mizunoe...mparison-table/

It would have made more sense to have the offset be more than the forged, less than the Original HM, but it looks likes it's between the tour and the forge.

Agree. Saw these today and I didn't like the look at address. The combination of minimal offset, but chunky lines looked weird to me. I actually liked the looks of the regular HM better. Didn't hit either of them though.

I think you guys are spot on. Really want to like the HM Pro but I don't think the look matches the target player. Offset should have been between Forged and regular HM.

Mizuno should have followed Titleist' lead a little more where they put the AP3 directly between the AP2 and AP1, that's how the HM Pro should have been designed. HM Pro has been going back and looking at the AP3...

Does anyone remember the Mizuno MX-20/MX-23 design? Why can't miz bring this back? A forged GI with medium offset...919 forged is close but I still think the MX-20/MX-23s were more forgiving...