Grandpa Syndrome

When did you first have your grandpa-syndrome moment with your junior in golf and how do you keep it in check, intentionally or otherwise? Or let's talk about any grandpa-syndrome moments as it has happened to me multiple times only to remind to check myself.

What is it: that moment when your junior hits an amazing tee shot or otherwise (can be a long putt, bunker shot, chip, punch shot...) and your hopes/focus on your junior's golf game changes. The grandpa-syndrome happens when you think you are raising the next Tiger or something similar to that effect and the time and investment keeps growing. The check happens when you realize there's a lot of growing to do.

I've had many and need to constantly check myself, but I think my first was when my son was 5 and won his fourth ever tournament start at a local event shooting a 44. It got checked quickly as he shot a 52 at the next event. Then it happened again at a regional only to be checked at world's. Then it's a shot here and there, only to remind myself that one shot doesn't define his ability or potential. One was at IMG when he was 8 and he had like 80-some yards over hanging branches and hit this towering 8 iron to 8 feet.

I call it grandpa-syndrome because the grandparents (especially since they never saw juniors play so well at a young age, even if they are knowledgeable golfers themselves) always seem to pour out the praise and expectations.

I know we've all experienced it and thought it would be fun to share and reminisce about those moments.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of the reasons why winning at 9 doesn't matter. Winning too early and too often can give unrealistic expectations for the future. In sports there are two careers for most male athletes, before puberty and after puberty. What you do before puberty doesn't matter.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

This is one of the reasons why winning at 9 doesn't matter. Winning too early and too often can give unrealistic expectations for the future. In sports there are two careers for most male athletes, before puberty and after puberty. What you do before puberty doesn't matter.

Thanks goodness. Hopefully by puberty my son hangs it up.

This is a big thing a lot parents do not understand with young kids. In golf I view 12 as the last of the kiddie age tournaments.

Having a 12 year old and looking at tournaments my kid will play is a sobering effect. The yardages jump and courses get much harder.

The kids who won at 12 in many cases do not win or even perform in 13-18 age group. Kids who used to break par when they were 10 and 11 can’t break 90 now.

On the flip side some kids get a lot better and suddenly are winning.

Thanks goodness. Hopefully by puberty my son hangs it up.

Happens to a lot of kids in a lot of different sports.

I still think there’s a stronger correlation between juniors that did well before 12 and their high school rankings than the ones that did well and fell off that projected growth chart. While winning at 12u may not mean anything as you say, didn’t someone post that 75% of the US Kids world field over the past 10 years played collegiate golf. I don’t remember the exact stat but if it’s anything close to that, there is a strong correlation of doing well at 12U and going on to do well in high school; much more so than it being meaningless.

Also - if you look at the top 10 boys on the Rolex rankings for AJGA, a lot seemed to have played US Kids Worlds which means they were winning at younger ages.

I still think there’s a stronger correlation between juniors that did well before 12 and their high school rankings than the ones that did well and fell off that projected growth chart. While winning at 12u may not mean anything as you say, didn’t someone post that 75% of the US Kids world field over the past 10 years played collegiate golf. I don’t remember the exact stat but if it’s anything close to that, there is a strong correlation of doing well at 12U and going on to do well in high school; much more so than it being meaningless.

Also - if you look at the top 10 boys on the Rolex rankings for AJGA, a lot seemed to have played US Kids Worlds which means they were winning at younger ages.

Your confusing the part that a lot kids may play US Kids worlds but it by no means they won them. There is a big difference plenty of kids win at 12 because they simply developed early both physically and mentally more then other kids. By the time there 14 or 15 the other kids have caught up or surpassed them.

Also the courses get much harder so just having a good short game is not going to work anymore you actually need a good iron game.

Your confusing the part that a lot kids may play US Kids worlds but it by no means they won them. There is a big difference plenty of kids win at 12 because they simply developed early both physically and mentally more then other kids. By the time there 14 or 15 the other kids have caught up or surpassed them.

Also the courses get much harder so just having a good short game is not going to work anymore you actually need a good iron game.

If they are playing us kids worlds, they at least won multiple events on their local tour. They have status. The point wasn’t winning worlds doesn’t matter it was winning at a young age doesn’t matter. In either case, don’t take the few that didn’t succeed at an older age and look at the overwhelming percentage that did have success in the high school years and that also won at some level when they were young.

If they are playing us kids worlds, they at least won multiple events on their local tour. They have status. The point wasn’t winning worlds doesn’t matter it was winning at a young age doesn’t matter. In either case, don’t take the few that didn’t succeed at an older age and look at the overwhelming percentage that did have success in the high school years and that also won at some level when they were young.

Winning at locals is not the same as winning at worlds. For some local events you just need to show up. This especially true of regions that are not competitive.

Some the best kids out there never pick up a club until there 12 or 13 and in a year two win a lot tournaments. Happens all the time.

They still have to meet the scoring average. I think you just like to conform opinions to your personal situation. Are you saying that there are more juniors ranked in the top 100 of any given class that didn’t pick up a club until they were 12-13 than there are kids that played tournament golf and had success when they were much younger?

Don’t say it happens all the time. That’s like saying there are plenty of high school junior golfers that are awesome and can only drive it 240. Of course it happens. That doesn’t mean that distance isn’t a huge advantage and the correlation between distance off the tee and the ceiling to go low is much higher than someone who lacks power.

Or are you saying winning at a young age is not predictive of future success. This I agree with. However, you can’t deny the correlation.

Why do I feel this is Nth time we are having the same discussion on the forum. I think everyone should just agree to disagree on this topic.

Winning at a young age helps but does not guarantee success.

It runs in six month cycles. We'll be talking about it again in August.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Why do I feel this is Nth time we are having the same discussion on the forum. I think everyone should just agree to disagree on this topic.

HH is hard up on saying that winning early doesnt mean anything and doesnt guarantee success down the line. I agree with the latter only. I havent heard anyone say that their kid is winning everything as an 8 y/o and is destined to be the next Tiger so Im not sure why he keeps on with the broken record.

HH is hard up on saying that winning early doesnt mean anything and doesnt guarantee success down the line. I agree with the latter only. I havent heard anyone say that their kid is winning everything as an 8 y/o and is destined to be the next Tiger so Im not sure why he keeps on with the broken record.

#golfprodigy

I wasn’t the one that brought it up. It was brought up in another thread.

Secondly, I am right.

In my short time at golfwrx I have noticed that this juniors area of the site routinely has threads that turn into shite shows. That's unfortunate.

That is because of the "Grandpa Syndrome". Parents don't want to hear what the reality is and we have all been there.

In my short time at golfwrx I have noticed that this juniors area of the site routinely has threads that turn into shite shows. That's unfortunate.

That is because of the "Grandpa Syndrome". Parents don't want to hear what the reality is and we have all been there.

This forum is so cyclical... There will be a ton of posts for a couple days and then someone will get butt hurt, a fight will break out and then the forum goes silent for a week. Rinse and repeat the next week when someone else asks a weird question.

They’re trying to make my grandkids into soccer or hockey players. I don’t know anything about those sports. They’re going to take away my “Grandpa Moment”opportunities!��

Hockey looks like a fun sport to play. Growing up in the 80's in south Florida it wasn't something I had the opportunity to try. Kids now in metropolitan areas of Florida can play. Wish I knew more about the game.

Soccer is as fun as watching paint dry. My daughter was 5 and came home from preschool. She told us at the dinner table that she wanted to play a sport. My wife, without blinking and eye, said "I can tell you one sport your not playing and that is soccer." Made me fall in love with her all over again. We gave her a list of sports to play and she picked tennis. She took lessons for a couple of years until she decided she was going to be a dancer.

They’re trying to make my grandkids into soccer or hockey players. I don’t know anything about those sports. They’re going to take away my “Grandpa Moment”opportunities!��

Hockey looks like a fun sport to play. Growing up in the 80's in south Florida it wasn't something I had the opportunity to try. Kids now in metropolitan areas of Florida can play. Wish I knew more about the game.

Soccer is as fun as watching paint dry. My daughter was 5 and came home from preschool. She told us at the dinner table that she wanted to play a sport. My wife, without blinking and eye, said "I can tell you one sport your not playing and that is soccer." Made me fall in love with her all over again. We gave her a list of sports to play and she picked tennis. She took lessons for a couple of years until she decided she was going to be a dancer.

not to mention womens soccer is one of the leading sports for concussions.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

My son's golf coach is also a HS girls soccer coach. The concussion problem is for real.

It is also high on torn ACL’s for women.

My boy played soccer. It was interesting. He grew tired of the team sport dynamic...where the coach's kid gets to try to score a goal over and over. After a season and a half of begging the coach (I didn't get involved) the coach put my son at forward. 20 seconds in...goal! Then, back to fullback for another couple weeks. Then, begging, 20 to 30 seconds on offence and...GOAL! My son inherited the sprinter gene in our family. Fast kid, just flew past the opponents. He'd get a pass and all our parents would jump up and say, "There he goes!"

He stood there, 11 years old, in front of the other parents at a practice and said, "I've decided to retire from soccer to focus on golf." It was cute. The problem with kids sports is the parents...

I hope I get to be a sports grandpa...

My boy played soccer. It was interesting. He grew tired of the team sport dynamic...where the coach's kid gets to try to score a goal over and over. After a season and a half of begging the coach (I didn't get involved) the coach put my son at forward. 20 seconds in...goal! Then, back to fullback for another couple weeks. Then, begging, 20 to 30 seconds on offence and...GOAL! My son inherited the sprinter gene in our family. Fast kid, just flew past the opponents. He'd get a pass and all our parents would jump up and say, "There he goes!"

He stood there, 11 years old, in front of the other parents at a practice and said, "I've decided to retire from soccer to focus on golf." It was cute. The problem with kids sports is the parents...

This is awesome.

The happiest day of my parenting career is when my kid decided he didn't want to play baseball anymore. I was tired of being around the other parents who wanted Johnny to play baseball year round. They were doing it for coach pitch so their kid could earn a scholarship at 18. I still laugh about it. Now they are playing travel tee ball in Florida. It blows my mind. The entire dynamic of travel baseball has ruined all of youth sports. Too many people trying to make a dime off of kids and sports in general. It honestly makes me sick.

I taught and coached basketball in an inner city school in Orlando 25 years ago. Had 4 kids from my team get involved with an AAU coach. He had asked them for $500.00 each to go to a tournament. I told the kids and their parents to watch out from this guy because he was a crook. Sure enough, they all payed the $500.00 and the coach never showed up to pick them up. These were kids that couldn't afford the $500.00. The guy left town and no one ever heard from him again.

This is awesome.

The happiest day of my parenting career is when my kid decided he didn't want to play baseball anymore. I was tired of being around the other parents who wanted Johnny to play baseball year round. They were doing it for coach pitch so their kid could earn a scholarship at 18. I still laugh about it. Now they are playing travel tee ball in Florida. It blows my mind. The entire dynamic of travel baseball has ruined all of youth sports. Too many people trying to make a dime off of kids and sports in general. It honestly makes me sick.

I taught and coached basketball in an inner city school in Orlando 25 years ago. Had 4 kids from my team get involved with an AAU coach. He had asked them for $500.00 each to go to a tournament. I told the kids and their parents to watch out from this guy because he was a crook. Sure enough, they all payed the $500.00 and the coach never showed up to pick them up. These were kids that couldn't afford the $500.00. The guy left town and no one ever heard from him again.

Wow the "crook coach" is terrible. Hope the karma caught up with him.

With Little League baseball, I talked with a baseball dad about why his kid stopped playing LL at age 9-10 (AAA level here) and started playing travel ball. He said it was because of the LL coaches playing favoritism to their own kids and the other asst coaches kids. He said at least with travel ball you have a "professional" (his words not mine) that doesn't play favorites like the "dad coaches" do. Good old fashioned LL is dying here. For A-Ball through Majors, there are only 5 teams per level. We have had to coordinate with a neighboring LL (which also only has 5 teams per level) to schedule out a season. I'm surprised these two LL's haven't merged, but that is probably more politics and power hunger.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.