Can Dustin Johnson's swing hold up in his later years?

NachosgrandeNachosgrande Members Posts: 256 ✭✭
Today's deeper fields aside, can DJ match Phil in win totals by the time he reaches 50 years of age? He's on pace to do so, but it just seems that age would have a detrimental impact on that swing.

Comments

• SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,224 ClubWRX
    There is a greater likelihood that a jealous husband or a crazy girlfriend will get to him first.

I see nothing in his swing that will hurt him long term.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,211 ✭✭
    edited Feb 27, 2019 3:19am #3
    His swing has never been a favourite of mine from an aesthetic point of view but he has such an amazing impact position. The control and precision he has developed is so impressive.

I don't see any issues for him. At this moment I can only see him getting better.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,779 ✭✭
    DJ will be just fine for years.

They were talking about him on NLU and whether he gets to 30 wins. I think that's a no brainer. You could see him picking up another 3, 4 or even 5 this year without too much hassle. The thing he needs to do for his legacy is to make one of those a major. Way too good to be on the same number of majors as Shaun Micheel.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,434 ✭✭
    Is he actually on pace to match Phil? DJ has 20 wins at age 34. The second half of his career will be more proficient than the first half? Phil won the Masters at age 34 for win #23. I guess that is close, but is not on pace to pass or match PM unless he wins two more times before Augusta and then wins again there.

I’m in the camp that DJ gets derailed by a wife/girlfriend/both before getting to 40 wins.
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 4,996 ✭✭
    The guy has never been hurt, so i think his swing will last
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • 3whacker3whacker Members Posts: 410 ✭✭
    the TW era spawned a whole generation of actual athletes like DJ taking up the game of golf and flourishing at it, DJ and Brooks put in time at the gym and the results are proof that their work pays off...
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,495 ✭✭
    I would be interested in hearing just exactly what it is about DJ's swing that OP thinks will make him break down? I'm all for discussion, but people are just inventing things at this point.

"Shock journalism making it's way into forums: Is it a bigger problem than slow play on tour making it's way into the munis across the land?" (wow that was easier than I thought)
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,221 ✭✭
    With absolutely nothing scientific to back it up, when I watch his swing its one of those that looks like its got a lot of moving parts so if he ever got out of sync with any of that I could see some problems. OTOH he hasn't done it so far and is keeping it together nicely so barring injury I'd say he's got a good shot at reaching Mickleson's win total and beyond.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    W/S C300 15* - Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S C300 20*/23* - Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S FG Tour Forged - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    W/S Bucktown
  • dropkickeddropkicked TorontoMembers Posts: 493 ✭✭
    While I constantly poke fun at DJ, for his dopey character and behavior, I truly love his ability to rotate freely. Dude has incredibly great flexibility and his body is almost ideal for maintaining that type of dexterity for many decades to come.

The only thing I can see stopping him is the nose candy.... aka: rails.. aka: yayo... but hopefully Gret's was able to impart some of his wisdom from his days partying with the Oilers..
  • Cincy_KenCincy_Ken Members Posts: 72 ✭✭
    DJs swing is long and smooth. There's not exact science but much like Phil I see it as a swing that will not cause injuries. I agree with those that say the biggest threat to his long term longevity would more likely be off the course stuff rather than injury.
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,629 ✭✭
    Vindog wrote:

I would be interested in hearing just exactly what it is about DJ's swing that OP thinks will make him break down? I'm all for discussion, but people are just inventing things at this point.

"Shock journalism making it's way into forums: Is it a bigger problem than slow play on tour making it's way into the munis across the land?" (wow that was easier than I thought)

6VGzSV3.gif
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,629 ✭✭
    edited Feb 27, 2019 8:20am #13
    the bishop wrote:

With absolutely nothing scientific to back it up, when I watch his swing its one of those that looks like its got a lot of moving parts so if he ever got out of sync with any of that I could see some problems. OTOH he hasn't done it so far and is keeping it together nicely so barring injury I'd say he's got a good shot at reaching Mickleson's win total and beyond.

i agree with that take ... natural swings hold up, imo ... not sure his is natural ... no logic for thinking that; however, i've got more evidence of your opinion than the evidence backing the accusations of dj's off the course behavior, so there's that ...
  • cwglumcwglum Members Posts: 1,556 ✭✭
    DJ will be around as long as he's interested in competing. Long fluid swings last longer & cause less harm than shorter violent changes of direction. He definitely puts in the work at the gym to support healthy frame and core.
  • stanger37stanger37 Members Posts: 355 ✭✭
    cwglum wrote:

DJ will be around as long as he's interested in competing. Long fluid swings last longer & cause less harm than shorter violent changes of direction. He definitely puts in the work at the gym to support healthy frame and core.

Agreed with you. I think he is more interested than we all think, and there is an article on Golf Digest on wondering and giving reasons on why he is a golf savant because he is the opposite of what we expect out of an athlete in a sport that we all make harder than it has to be. He boils it down to the point where golf is boring when he talks about it, but I believe that is what has helped him never really fall into the younger generation of their mind getting in their way. Rory, JT, Spieth, Rahm, Bryson, they all get in their way in the mind. I think DJ as much as we poke fun as his demeanor on the course is the reason he was able to overcome blowing majors early in his career and keep winning year after year. In terms of his swing, being long like he is, he doesn't ever seem to muscle a ball further and can be smooth about it. Smaller guys you see them giving a little extra which could wear down a body quicker than someone who using the length of their body to create power.
    Nike Vapor Fly Driver 9.5*
    ]Nike Vapor Fly 3W 15*
    Nike Vapor Fly 7W 21*
    Taylormade PSI 4-PW
    Cleveland RTX 52/10
    Cleveland CG15 56/14
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60
    Odyessy O-Works #7
  • Dr. BlockDr. Block Members Posts: 610 ✭✭
    edited Feb 27, 2019 11:40am #16
    Vindog wrote:

That super shut face and bowed wrist position he gets to at the top of his swing requires incredible athleticism to create the necessary body turn through the ball to accommodate it. As it stands now its a swing that is almost infallible, but what happens when he gets a few more years on him and loses a fraction of that athleticism? We all go "out of warranty" at some point.
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,686 ✭✭
    3whacker wrote:

the TW era spawned a whole generation of actual athletes like DJ taking up the game of golf and flourishing at it, DJ and Brooks put in time at the gym and the results are proof that their work pays off...

Truth.

20 years ago DJ isn't playing golf, he's playing Basketball.

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

• golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,434 ✭✭

3whacker wrote:

Truth.

I think 20 years ago DJ was playing golf.
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,832 ✭✭
    age plays cruel tricks on us. His reverse C will look like an exclamation point in 15 years.
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,686 ✭✭

3whacker wrote:

Truth.

I think 20 years ago DJ was playing golf.

If he was an adult 20 years ago. Obviously, he was playing golf as he was 15 during the Tiger boom.

Point being, if Tiger isn't around, I don't think someone like DJ is playing professional golf.

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

• hdr_richdr_ric Members Posts: 1,469 ✭✭
    I don’t think DJ, matches Phil’s win totals.

But he does has a better shot than Spieth. At least that nonsense has gone away temporarily.
  • Aaronwilson_95Aaronwilson_95 Members Posts: 829 ✭✭
    hdr_ric wrote:

I don’t think DJ, matches Phil’s win totals.

But he does has a better shot than Spieth. At least that nonsense has gone away temporarily.

Does DJ match Spieths major total tho.
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,386 ✭✭
    2putttom wrote:

age plays cruel tricks on us. His reverse C will look like an exclamation point in 15 years.
    Reverse C?

http://www.golf.com/news/2019/02/23/watch-dustin-johnson-drives-367-yard-par-4-makes-eagle/
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • scottyc15scottyc15 Members Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I don't see why it wouldn't last and don't really understand the comments from guys saying it won't. Sure the face is shut at the top, but that just allows him to rotate freely in the DS and as long as the COM follows the same path he has it on now he's a walking stripe show. Just watch a slow motion face on view of him and his body movements. It doesn't get any better in my opinion.
    Taylormade M3 9.5 - Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 - Tensei Pro White 70TX
    Taylormade P790 UDI - Oban Kiyoshi Purple 100 05
    Srixon Z 765 4-PW - DG TI X100
    Taylormade MG 52,56,60 - DG TI S400
    Piretti Tesora GSS
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,376 ✭✭
    Doesnt' even seem like he's trying

bb0b2f107a3a66c257886143c90546e5.gif
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,843 ✭✭
    DJ's been doing the same thing for a long time. If something was going to go sideways, there would be signs right now. If he takes care of himself and Paulina doesn't go off the rails, he'll be fine. The meme that he could have been a great BB player is right there with the "Tiger is built like a LB".
  • stanger37stanger37 Members Posts: 355 ✭✭
    Shilgy wrote:

2putttom wrote:

Reverse C?

http://www.golf.com/...-4-makes-eagle/

His grip is the biggest question I have. his thumbs are barely on the grip, it feels so goofy to even hold the club that way.
    Nike Vapor Fly Driver 9.5*
    ]Nike Vapor Fly 3W 15*
    Nike Vapor Fly 7W 21*
    Taylormade PSI 4-PW
    Cleveland RTX 52/10
    Cleveland CG15 56/14
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60
    Odyessy O-Works #7
  • youdamantigeryoudamantiger Members Posts: 411 ✭✭
    edited Feb 27, 2019 4:53pm #28

Is he actually on pace to match Phil? DJ has 20 wins at age 34. The second half of his career will be more proficient than the first half? Phil won the Masters at age 34 for win #23. I guess that is close, but is not on pace to pass or match PM unless he wins two more times before Augusta and then wins again there.

I'm in the camp that DJ gets derailed by a wife/girlfriend/both before getting to 40 wins.

That's where I'm at. DJ has had a stellar career so far but putting him in Phil's category is at least 10 years premature. Phil is not only one of the top ten golfers of all time, but he's probably one of the top three old golfers of all time. What he's accomplished over the age of 40 is unreal. Phil is a huge outlier for over 40 Tour pros. I'm not comfortable assuming DJ will get there just because he's roughly on the same trajectory as Phil at age 34. Who could've predicted in 2008 that Phil would win more majors than Tiger over the next ten years? Golf is unpredictable. Will DJ have a Phil level career by the time he's done? Maybe, but the odds are against it.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,109 ✭✭
    Dr. Block wrote:

Vindog wrote:

That super shut face and bowed wrist position he gets to at the top of his swing requires incredible athleticism to create the necessary body turn through the ball to accommodate it. As it stands now its a swing that is almost infallible, but what happens when he gets a few more years on him and loses a fraction of that athleticism? We all go "out of warranty" at some point.

yeah, it reminds me a bit of Duval, super strong grip and a lot of rotation can put a toll on the body. That being said DJ seems to be in a little better shape than DD physically. ......but man the way DJ swings it looks like it really buts a lot of torque on the back/spine and wrists.

Phil's swings is long and loose, but it seems like it puts less strain on the body in general with a more neutral grip and angles.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,089 ✭✭
    As someone who deals with a cranky back I've got concerns. Just watching him swing sometimes makes me wince. At some point flexibility begins to wain for everyone. But he's as athletically gifted and works as hard to be fit as anybody out there. If anybody can do it it's him.

He has had 2 supposed back injuries already, the stair slipping accident before The Masters in 2017 and (if you believe his story) the "jet ski" incident from several years back. Neither were golf induced though, but any back injury doesn't bode well for a golfer.
  • darredondo09darredondo09 Members Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Depends on how often he takes the stairs