Can Dustin Johnson's swing hold up in his later years?

Nachosgrande

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DJ has had 2 supposed back injuries already, the stair slipping accident before The Masters in 2017 and (if you believe his story) the "jet ski" incident from several years back. Neither were golf induced though, but any back injury doesn't bode well for a golfer.

I'm guessing a lot of people don't believe the official story on either of those situations.

I doubt the cupped wrist will have much on an effect on the potential for rotational injury. Just my opinion.

Bowed not cupped. Extension would be cupping and DJ is in Flexion.

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9º (at 8º) Accra TZ5 65 M5

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Ti 15º Accra TZ5 75 M5

3i/4i: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus 120X (4i 1º weak)

5i-PW: Srixon Z-Forged Modus 120X

50º/54º/60º: Cleveland RTX 4 (Mid Bounce) Modus 120X (50º/54º) & DG TI S400 (60º)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2 (33.75", 70º lie, 2.5º loft)

I doubt the cupped wrist will have much on an effect on the potential for rotational injury. Just my opinion.

Bowed not cupped. Extension would be cupping and DJ is in Flexion.

I doubt the position of his wrist will have much of an effect on the potential for rotational injury.

Everybody happy now?

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I would be interested in hearing just exactly what it is about DJ's swing that OP thinks will make him break down? I'm all for discussion, but people are just inventing things at this point.

"Shock journalism making it's way into forums: Is it a bigger problem than slow play on tour making it's way into the munis across the land?" (wow that was easier than I thought)

That super shut face and bowed wrist position he gets to at the top of his swing requires incredible athleticism to create the necessary body turn through the ball to accommodate it. As it stands now its a swing that is almost infallible, but what happens when he gets a few more years on him and loses a fraction of that athleticism? We all go "out of warranty" at some point.

yeah, it reminds me a bit of Duval, super strong grip and a lot of rotation can put a toll on the body. That being said DJ seems to be in a little better shape than DD physically. ......but man the way DJ swings it looks like it really buts a lot of torque on the back/spine and wrists.

Phil's swings is long and loose, but it seems like it puts less strain on the body in general with a more neutral grip and angles.

Phil's swing is all about releasing the club head. He releases it so much that his left hand actually comes off the grip. Vijay's move is similar. Both swings have aged well.

DJ's swing is about holding the club-face shut and turning the body through impact to a degree that I've never seen before (if you think his swing is athletic at regular speed, watch it in slow motion!). I don't think injuries will plague DJ, but I wonder what becomes of a move like his when age limits his ability to produce that dynamic turn through impact.

My guess is he works on getting that wrist and club-face closer to a neutral angle as he approaches 40 years old.

DJ has more of a sideways C..

Here is the best breakdown of the old school Jack style reverse C vs modern...

DJ is somewhere in the middle of these two...

FWIW Vijay can still swing smooth as silk with this exact move...

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

DJ has more of a sideways C..

Here is the best breakdown of the old school Jack style reverse C vs modern...

DJ is somewhere in the middle of these two...

FWIW Vijay can still swing smooth as silk with this exact move...

[media=]

[/media]

-Chris

If you wan't to understand the unique things going on in Dustin's swing, this guy does a fantastic job of explainint it.

I think his wrists could start to give him trouble as he gets older, who knows. I still have no idea how he does that thingy with his wrists and manages to get the club face square.

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

It’s never been a secret that DJ has always been arguably THE most talented individual Player in any and every tourney that he has ever entered as a Pro, barring those that had Pre-2014 Tiger in em.

As we’ve also learned, no matter the sport, activity or task, that while talent/ability is a factor, and if the other factors, ie., drive and focus, which I have always called the “Performance Triad,” and the textbook human example of this is Jack & Tiger, are in place, then Talent/Ability will be the icing on the cake and allow the individual to crush his/her competitors, as both Jack and more often Tiger proved.

The latter two components in my Triad are where DJ has often been lacking, and I used to rag him for this perceived lack of focus and drive because to see someone with THAT much Talent, and even though he has always had a streaky putter, he has all of the shots, just go through seasons and win a tourney in a dominating fashion as he did most recently, and then settle back into the pack, just blew my mind.

I questioned his mental toughness as I would sometimes mix this up with focus and while I do not think that you can have one without the other, DJ put all questions regarding mental toughness at the highest level and under the ultimate pressure cooker to bed with his performance at Oakmont under the brightest of lights in the game and being THE show pony in a six ring friggin circus that Sunday. I was there and that was a clusterf***, and he got the job done. He didn’t back into it. He crushed it & he owned it!!

In another thread, basically about deciding between two sets of irons for one’s bag, I could not understand how someone could want to Play this game and not try to be the very best that they could be, to get the lowest cap possible, to shoot the lowest scores possible and to hopefully compete and win in whatever competitive money games and tourneys that they Played in.

Prior to my health issues, that’s the only reason that I Played this game. Though I Played since I was 7yo, it was not until I walked out of a football stadium for the last time at the age of 23yo, that it took on a whole different meaning to me, in essence replacing football. I needed that. Badly!

My Teacher & golf Mentors reinforced this thinking.

There is nothing wrong with this thinking.

However it lead me to be myopic in my thinking as I just assumed that everyone Palyed the game for the same reasons.

I mean, if ya keep score, if there are winners and losers(I never Played in a tourney where every Player receives a trophy. My step daughter, 8yo, has Played in four such tourneys. She won one, took a second in another and was middle of the pack in the other two. She only has two trophies on her dresser. She literally threw the other two in the garbage. Madison and I have never said a single word to her about trophies, “everyone’s a winner,” yada yada yada, not a single word), what other reason word ya Play this game for???

That’s the question of an arsehole and one with extremely myopic thinking for which I was guilty.

So what does this derailed novella have to with DJ?

Tiger Played this game to win every single time that he planted the peg.

DJ does not.

There is nothing wrong with that.

Just as there are many reasons to Play this game as an AM, so to are there myriad reasons to compete and Play as a Pro.

Does DJ want to win every time out?

Sure he does, you betcha

I wanna win the lottery?

However, he seems to be having fun, enjoying life and content with his path.

So, whether he puts together 20+ more victories or not is anybody’s guess.

I believe that his swing will be fine as like most, it will change and he will adapt as he ages. I don’t know of anyone who swings the same way every time at the age of 40yo as they did at 20yo.

But he’ll be fine?

I see him at 30-35 Victories with 2-3 more majors.

He’s a Monster~

The Players should just thank God that he doesn’t see himself that way, lolol

Thanks for reading?

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I'm buying most of this, Richard. Good insight.

Hard to say what goes on in the heads of these guys, not too much in DJ's case (sorry DJ fans, it's true).

I don't like him although is one of the best on tour.

He's not a bright guy, cupped wrist and all.

He's not a businessman - so he better keep winning to keep up with his lifestyle (and keep that "partner" in high fashion).

He's not an outwardly expressive player but that doesn't mean he is not driven to win.

Re: the cupped wrist

Just read an article where Butch commented that "he left it alone" because it works for DJ.

Fergusson, I really like GolfWRX because of people like u and Richard...

Different opinions from people I really respect...

And y’all are nice...which is rare on the internet..

Heck, I once created a thread asking GolfWRX to hire Richard to be the GolfWRX on site tournament reporter...

Anyhow, nothing to say other than users like you and Richard are why I come to forum

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

Heck, I once created a thread asking GolfWRX to hire Richard to be the GolfWRX on site tournament reporter...

Anyhow, nothing to say other than users like you and Richard are why I come to forum

-Chris

Very Kind. Thank you. The same can be said for you.

That's why "we golfers" are a different breed.

It's never been a secret that DJ has always been arguably THE most talented individual Player in any and every tourney that he has ever entered as a Pro, barring those that had Pre-2014 Tiger in em.

As we've also learned, no matter the sport, activity or task, that while that is a factor, and if the other factors, ie., drive and focus, which I have always called the "Performance Triad," and the textbook human example of this is Jack & Tiger, are in place, then Talent/Ability will be the icing on the cake and allow the individual to crush his/her competitors, as both Jack and more often Tiger proved.

The latter two components in my Triad are where DJ has often been lacking, and I used to rag him for this perceived lack of focus and drive because to see someone with THAT much Talent, and even though he has always had a streaky putter, he has all of the shots, just go through seasons and win a tourney in just dominating fashion, as he did most recently, and then settle into the pack, just blew my mind.

I questioned his mental toughness as I would sometimes mix this up with focus and while I do not think that you can have one without the other, DJ out all questions to bed with his performance at Oakmont under the brightest of lights in the game and being the show pony in a six ring friggin circus that Sunday. I was there and that was a clusterf***, and he got the job done. He didn't back into it. He crushed it & he owned it!!

In another thread, basically about deciding between two sets of irons for one's bag, I could not understand how someone could want to Play this game and not try to be the very best that they could be, to get the lowest cap possible, to shoot the lowest scores possible and to hopefully compete and win in whatever competitive money games and tourneys that they Played in.

Prior to my health issues, that's the only reason that I Played this game. Though I Played since I was 7yo, it was not until I walked out of a football stadium for the last time at the age of 23yo, that it took on a whole different meaning to me, in essence replacing football. I needed that. Badly!

However it lead me to be myopic in my thinking as I just assumed that everyone Palyed the game for the same reasons.

I mean, if ya keep score, if there are winners and losers(I never Played in a tourney where every Player receives a trophy. My step daughter, 8yo, has Played in four such tourneys. She won one, took a second in another and was middle of the pack in the other two. She only has two trophies on her dresser. She literally threw the other two in the garbage. Madison and I have never said a single word to her about trophies, "everyone's a winner," yada yada yada, not a single word), what other reason word ya Play this game for???

That's the question of an arsehole and one with extremely myopic thinking for which I was guilty.

DJ does not.

Just as there are many reasons to Play this game as an AM, so to are there myriad reasons to compete and Play as a Pro.

Sure he does, you betcha

I wanna win the lottery

So, whether he puts together 20+ more victories or not is anybody's guess.

I believe that his swing will be fine as like most, it will change and he will adapt as he ages. I don't know of anyone who swings the same way every time at the age of 40yo as they did at 20yo.

But he'll be fine

He's a Monster~

The Players should just thank God that he doesn't see himself that way, lolol

Thanks for reading

Cheers

RP

This is a brilliant post RP. Something I've been learning slowly through my years on this Earth is wanting to be something you're not is a sure fire way to unhappiness. That doesn't mean a person can't improve themselves. Certainly we should all try to be better versions of ourselves. Maybe if DJ really tried to be the blood and guts type of competitor rather than how he naturally is he'd be giving golf lessons and coaching beginner basketball somewhere instead of winning at the highest level. That was not meant as an insult to golf or basketball coaches.

I think DJ's swing will be fine through the years. It will evolve with age. He has smooth tempo and power. That seems to be the recipe for a long career.

It's never been a secret that DJ has always been arguably THE most talented individual Player in any and every tourney that he has ever entered as a Pro, barring those that had Pre-2014 Tiger in em.

As we've also learned, no matter the sport, activity or task, that while that is a factor, and if the other factors, ie., drive and focus, which I have always called the "Performance Triad," and the textbook human example of this is Jack & Tiger, are in place, then Talent/Ability will be the icing on the cake and allow the individual to crush his/her competitors, as both Jack and more often Tiger proved.

The latter two components in my Triad are where DJ has often been lacking, and I used to rag him for this perceived lack of focus and drive because to see someone with THAT much Talent, and even though he has always had a streaky putter, he has all of the shots, just go through seasons and win a tourney in just dominating fashion, as he did most recently, and then settle into the pack, just blew my mind.

I questioned his mental toughness as I would sometimes mix this up with focus and while I do not think that you can have one without the other, DJ out all questions to bed with his performance at Oakmont under the brightest of lights in the game and being the show pony in a six ring friggin circus that Sunday. I was there and that was a clusterf***, and he got the job done. He didn't back into it. He crushed it & he owned it!!

In another thread, basically about deciding between two sets of irons for one's bag, I could not understand how someone could want to Play this game and not try to be the very best that they could be, to get the lowest cap possible, to shoot the lowest scores possible and to hopefully compete and win in whatever competitive money games and tourneys that they Played in.

Prior to my health issues, that's the only reason that I Played this game. Though I Played since I was 7yo, it was not until I walked out of a football stadium for the last time at the age of 23yo, that it took on a whole different meaning to me, in essence replacing football. I needed that. Badly!

I mean, if ya keep score, if there are winners and losers(I never Played in a tourney where every Player receives a trophy. My step daughter, 8yo, has Played in four such tourneys. She won one, took a second in another and was middle of the pack in the other two. She only has two trophies on her dresser. She literally threw the other two in the garbage. Madison and I have never said a single word to her about trophies, "everyone's a winner," yada yada yada, not a single word), what other reason word ya Play this game for???

That's the question of an arsehole and one with extremely myopic thinking for which I was guilty.

DJ does not.

Sure he does, you betcha

I wanna win the lottery

So, whether he puts together 20+ more victories or not is anybody's guess.

I believe that his swing will be fine as like most, it will change and he will adapt as he ages. I don't know of anyone who swings the same way every time at the age of 40yo as they did at 20yo.

But he'll be fine

He's a Monster~

The Players should just thank God that he doesn't see himself that way, lolol

Thanks for reading

Cheers

RP

Great post Richard, and I think it speaks to more players then just DJ. It seems to be the mentality now.

Don't you cool cats recall these factoids / snippets?

Longer swings last longer. His release style is like VJ and Phil ... long swingers as well that won - and are still winning - deep into their careers

He is long/lean athletic like a Sammy Snead ... more longevity again (RPIII will have more on this)

Trevino always said the guy to fear the most was the guy with the bad swing AND the bad grip ... because he's grooved it (not that DJ's are bad .. but it is relateable)

he's getting 2 more majors and likely a dozen more wins by my count. His biggest danger is maintaining interest

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Longer swings last longer. His release style is like VJ and Phil ... long swingers as well that won - and are still winning - deep into their careers

He is long/lean athletic like a Sammy Snead ... more longevity again (RPIII will have more on this)

Trevino always said the guy to fear the most was the guy with the bad swing AND the bad grip ... because he's grooved it (not that DJ's are bad .. but it is relateable)

he's getting 2 more majors and likely a dozen more wins by my count. His biggest danger is maintaining interest

DJ's swing and release is quite a bit different then Phil and Vijay. He creates that bowed wrist and shut clubface then holds on to it and uses his incredible flexibility and athleticism to pin his arms and release his body to get to the ball. His right arm is so far in front of him at impact that it doesn't even look possible in slow motion. And it wouldn't be for 98 percent of other golfers without his athleticism. But when you add it all up, you can see why butch didn't mess with it. It's an incredibly efficient way to go about things.

Phil and Vijay are classic swingers with in to out paths and quite a bit of clubface rotation at and through impact (especially Phil). DJ has very little rotation (and that's why he's a fairway finding machine).

If you guy's really want to learn about DJ's swing, check this video out by Wayne DeFrancesco.

Like he does with so many other great tour player swings, he really breaks it down and highlights the strengths. Or in the case of Dustin, the highly unique strengths

If you watch the video you'll see more then a few body positions that look like a tremendous display of flexibility that are also likely taxing on his joints.

He'll win 35 times.

I'm buying most of this, Richard. Good insight.

Hard to say what goes on in the heads of these guys, not too much in DJ's case (sorry DJ fans, it's true).

I don't like him although is one of the best on tour.

He's not a bright guy, cupped wrist and all.

He's not a businessman - so he better keep winning to keep up with his lifestyle (and keep that "partner" in high fashion).

He's not an outwardly expressive player but that doesn't mean he is not driven to win.

Re: the cupped wrist

Just read an article where Butch commented that "he left it alone" because it works for DJ.

Out of curiosity, the characteristics of him that you listed, are those reasons you are not a fan of his? Not asking to explain your stance, not everyone is going to like everyone.

-Chris

You both are two of the Classiest guys on this or any board!!

Lolol, Madison just read these posts and said she likes it better when we’re “edgy” & “chippy,” lolol.

Women?

Yea, my thing is that while I don’t believe that DJ is the most driven guy on tour, he’s by no means the Carolina beach bum that some try to portray him as, lol

He’s a Closer for sure, as I believe that he learned from his early career blow-ups, which made Oakmont all the more amazing. I can’t tell ya the number of guys, though they don’t have the stones to admit it, that thought that he was gonna implode after that delay and subsequent ruling.

Yea, I was one of em, though I was glad that he responded like a Champion, as I’ve got no grudge against the guy. While I don’t agree with some of his life style choices, actions & activities, I’ll give credit where credit is due.

Again, thanks for the kind words Gents?

You Gals & Guys are the Best!!

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

And y'all are nice...which is rare on the internet..

-Chris

You booth are two of the Classiest guys on this or any board!!

Lolol, Madison just read these posts and said she likes it better when we're "edgy" & "chippy," lolol.

Women

Yea, my thing is that while I don't believe that DJ is the most driven guy on tour, he's by no means the Carolina beach bum that some try to portray him as, lol

He's a Closer for sure, as I believe that he learned from his early career blow-ups, which made Oakmont all the more amazing. I can't tell ya the number of guys, though they don't have the stones to admit it, that thought that he was gonna implode after that delay and subsequent ruling.

Yea, I was one of em, though I was glad that he responded like a Champion, as I've got no grudge against the guy. While I don't agree with some of his life style choices, actions & activities, I'll give credit where credit is due.

Again, thanks for the kind words Gents

RP

Guys... Guys! Could we please get back to discussing whats best for DJ....

-Chris

Lolol, Madison just read these posts and said she likes it better when we're "edgy" & "chippy," lolol.

Women��

Yea, my thing is that while I don't believe that DJ is the most driven guy on tour, he's by no means the Carolina beach bum that some try to portray him as, lol

He's a Closer for sure, as I believe that he learned from his early career blow-ups, which made Oakmont all the more amazing. I can't tell ya the number of guys, though they don't have the stones to admit it, that thought that he was gonna implode after that delay and subsequent ruling.

Yea, I was one of em, though I was glad that he responded like a Champion, as I've got no grudge against the guy. While I don't agree with some of his life style choices, actions & activities, I'll give credit where credit is due.

Again, thanks for the kind words Gents��

RP

Guys... Guys! Could we please get back to discussing whats best for DJ....

hahaha, I couldn’t agree more. This is bad for the game. Richard has been spending too much time with his shrink, haha. Pete wouldn’t recognize him :) M

-Chris

You guys are great and Richard is most definitely a “different breed,” hahaha. But that’s probably got something to do with why I fell in love with him, haha. Take care Fergs :) Madison

-Chris

Women

Again, thanks for the kind words Gents

RP

Absolutely. He had so many blown chances early in his career that anyone with little mental toughness would have folded and called it a career. He kept it going and became number 1. His game right now is pretty solid, and it seems he's more mentally focused than he has ever been. It's a good thing for golf, and not a good thing for his competitors.

And can the people stop with the he doesn't swing hard argument. It's been debunked and all tour players swing hard. Not out of their shoes, but pretty hard. They just sync things up more quickly and efficiently than most can ever imagine.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

-Chris

Women?

Again, thanks for the kind words Gents?

RP

Absolutely. He had so many blown chances early in his career that anyone with little mental toughness would have folded and called it a career. He kept it going and became number 1. His game right now is pretty solid, and it seems he's more mentally focused than he has ever been. It's a good thing for golf, and not a good thing for his competitors.

And can the people stop with the he doesn't swing hard argument. It's been debunked and all tour players swing hard. Not out of their shoes, but pretty hard. They just sync things up more quickly and efficiently than most can ever imagine.

Absolutely GJ!!

I’ve also noticed that some lump him into the group of Players who are just happy to show up, Play well, and cash a nice check, and then “lather, rinse, wash and repeat.”

I was guilty of being in this camp~

Then I looked at his record and more importantly where he stood against the Greatest Champions of All-Time~

He currently sits at T34, alongside Hale Irwin & Greg Norman(I know, I know, but he did also finish a few, lol) and ahead of such Icons as Gentle Ben & Ernie Els(Both with 19 Wins).

The only current PGA Pros on Planet earth who have more victories than him are Tiger & Phil!!

And lil Rorrs has to cap 6 more, IF DJ doesn’t win another in that span, to sit alongside him.

No, he may have kicked away a few and vomited on himself in a few others, however with the exception of arguably THE greatest Player of All-Time and another Top-10 All-Timer, Phil at #9 with 44, This Guy is the most prolific Champion on Tour.

So to put him in the same category as those that “just showed up to cash a check,” or even in the same breath as Luke, who while this has been said about, he did rise to a World #1 ranking, is a gross mistake and just an uneducated statement and colored by ignorance, bias and misdirected venom.

I was guilty of this~

Then the truth set me free??

The truth is that I’m still ignorant, biased and misdirected, however with Norman retired and DJ being the third most prolific Champion on Tour, I gotta find someone else to direct my venom at??

Next.....

Have a great weekend Gals & Gents?

RP