New TP5 and TP5X

jwb10

So got a chance to test more both side by side indoors with the full bag. Did some with trackman as the place I was hitting at has as few bays with them. Overall I would say its just "enhancements" between last years TP5/TP5X to this years. Nothing earth shattering.

It is very nominal between them with the real numbers, or so for me. TPX5 they felt almost exactly the same. TP5 also but it seemed like just a bit lower spin off the woods (not much only a 200 rpm or so) Given this I just ordered 2 dozen each of last years TP5 and TP5X for this season. Mainly as the are on sale and nothing is really that different from my testing.

Two things to note...its STILL a sweet ball (either model) and it does seem like '19 model cover is a tab more durable. After a bunch of wedges shots to both models the '19 did have a few less scuffs. Still had scuffs Its not Srixon durable (which is crazy honestly but some reason they spin way way to much for me)

Early reports were that this ball was amazing. Actual testing says that there is little to no improvement over past years. What made Rickie switch?

I switched from the ProV / X to the TP models a few years ago and I did see better results for my game. I think its like clubs, without getting the right fit its not the best for you. I am sure Ricky saw something during the Ryder Cup when he played the ball that he liked better. I moved over becuase I did gain distance off the tee with the TP models over ProV's. Everything else was very similar. ProV does have just a bit better feel. *Honestly I could game either with my limited skills :tongue: but settle on the TP more....

Early reports were that this ball was amazing. Actual testing says that there is little to no improvement over past years. What made Rickie switch?

I switched from the ProV / X to the TP models a few years ago and I did see better results for my game. I think its like clubs, without getting the right fit its not the best for you. I am sure Ricky saw something during the Ryder Cup when he played the ball that he liked better. I moved over becuase I did gain distance off the tee with the TP models over ProV's. Everything else was very similar. ProV does have just a bit better feel. *Honestly I could game either with my limited skills :tongue: but settle on the TP more....

All about money my friend....

The ball is amazing in comparison to the PROv1. Anyone that knows me know how outspoken I am against the prov1 line. A 3 piece ball isn’t worth the price they’re selling at. Same with the V1x. The taylormade ball is cheaper and reacts better.

It is all about the $€£¥. I think, when the rest of my ball stash is gone (8 dozen RZN platinum, 1 dozen Snell, 3 TP5/x, 2 dozen KSIG on and on) then I’ll go MTB X. Cheap and performs. By then, TP5 will be on sale

The ball is amazing in comparison to the PROv1. Anyone that knows me know how outspoken I am against the prov1 line. A 3 piece ball isn't worth the price they're selling at. Same with the V1x. The taylormade ball is cheaper and reacts better.

It is all about the $€£¥. I think, when the rest of my ball stash is gone (8 dozen RZN platinum, 1 dozen Snell, 3 TP5/x, 2 dozen KSIG on and on) then I'll go MTB X. Cheap and performs. By then, TP5 will be on sale

No offense but if your handicap is really a 15 I don't think any ball will make much of a difference. You can really only see the difference in these balls when you strike it solid and mainly from 120 and in (especially around the greens). If you gave a 0 handicap 6 balls of each PV1 and TP5X and watched them hit different shots around the green you could easily see and also hear a very big difference between these balls. I have tried for years to beat the V1 and V1X and can't seem to ever do it.

The ball is amazing in comparison to the PROv1. Anyone that knows me know how outspoken I am against the prov1 line. A 3 piece ball isn't worth the price they're selling at. Same with the V1x. The taylormade ball is cheaper and reacts better.

It is all about the $¤£¥. I think, when the rest of my ball stash is gone (8 dozen RZN platinum, 1 dozen Snell, 3 TP5/x, 2 dozen KSIG on and on) then I'll go MTB X. Cheap and performs. By then, TP5 will be on sale

No offense but if your handicap is really a 15 I don't think any ball will make much of a difference. You can really only see the difference in these balls when you strike it solid and mainly from 120 and in (especially around the greens). If you gave a 0 handicap 6 balls of each PV1 and TP5X and watched them hit different shots around the green you could easily see and also hear a very big difference between these balls. I have tried for years to beat the V1 and V1X and can't seem to ever do it.

I did that very comparison and found the TP5 to be miles better than the Pro V for me. Just all about preferences in what you want to feel, hear and see.

The new ball isn't the cure for cancer, btw, it's just a good solid ball.

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

It is all about the $€£¥. I think, when the rest of my ball stash is gone (8 dozen RZN platinum, 1 dozen Snell, 3 TP5/x, 2 dozen KSIG on and on) then I'll go MTB X. Cheap and performs. By then, TP5 will be on sale

I've seen different from that. As a ball retailer/course operator, almost every single customer that I've watched play/hit golf balls that was playing a ProV1 family ball that I've recommended something else to, typically a TaylorMade, Srixon, or Bridgestone tour level ball, has all switched away from Titleist because they like the new ball more and play better with it. To the point that I don't even stock Titliest anymore (which is almost unimaginable for a proshop), and my premium level ball sales have actually increased. ProV1s definitely aren't the best ball for everyone, not even lower handicap golfers. I've got way too many years of witnessing this with thousands of golfers for that to be true.

It is all about the $¤£¥. I think, when the rest of my ball stash is gone (8 dozen RZN platinum, 1 dozen Snell, 3 TP5/x, 2 dozen KSIG on and on) then I'll go MTB X. Cheap and performs. By then, TP5 will be on sale

I did that very comparison and found the TP5 to be miles better than the Pro V for me. Just all about preferences in what you want to feel, hear and see.

The new ball isn't the cure for cancer, btw, it's just a good solid ball.

Glad to hear you found a ball that fits your game. V1 wont work for everyone and TP5 won’t work for all.

I guess I'm gonna have to keep my hopes up for a yellow version, then. We still haven't seen confirmation either way on that front.

If you want yellow and like the TP5, just grab the '18 Project (a) - it's a very similar ball and a total sleeper. I put the (a) up against a handful of other "premium" balls and was very impressed. Was 7-8 yards longer with the irons and got about 1,000RPM more spin. Great feel as well. Even prompted me to move away from the RZN Platinum, which I thought would be impossible.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

I’m more off 18 right now actually. Fortunately for you, I can and do feel a difference. My score doesn’t constitute the ability to see how a ball performs for me. I’ve played every style premium ball in the last 4-5 years. Yeah, I can feel a difference and see a difference.

I’ll go ahead and say that most of the balls used on tour are because of money and continued performance. That’s just how it is. Taylormade might be paying rickie more. Bridgestone is paying tiger absurd amounts. Rory said he loved platinum RZN tour or black, which was produced by Bridgestone, but oh wait, he doesn’t use that because TM pays him more.

Long story short, a handicap doesn’t mean s*** when judging performance. I’ll tell people to buy this ball over titleist prov1 and x all day every day.

I'm more off 18 right now actually. Fortunately for you, I can and do feel a difference. My score doesn't constitute the ability to see how a ball performs for me. I've played every style premium ball in the last 4-5 years. Yeah, I can feel a difference and see a difference.

I'll go ahead and say that most of the balls used on tour are because of money and continued performance. That's just how it is. Taylormade might be paying rickie more. Bridgestone is paying tiger absurd amounts. Rory said he loved platinum RZN tour or black, which was produced by Bridgestone, but oh wait, he doesn't use that because TM pays him more.

Long story short, a handicap doesn't mean s*** when judging performance. I'll tell people to buy this ball over titleist prov1 and x all day every day.

I'm sorry but if you are an 18 handicap you are not making consistent enough solid contact to tell a difference. I would argue that most scratch or better players scores would not change over a 10 round average between the TP5 and ProV1. The differences between all these balls is very minor but at the end of the day can lead to a 3ft par putt versus a 4ft par putt which very well could be a stroke difference in score. Again this one foot difference is assuming you strike it well, if your chip it thin or fat it won't make a difference. I think the sound and feel is what changes the most between the balls and that just comes down to a comfort level.

Of all the premium balls I tested this year the only very obvious noticeable difference I found (other then feel or sound) was the TP5 excessive spin on full wedges. Basically all the other balls have slight differences that really are not going to make or break you over a 10 round average. The TP5 I found that I have to play a lot of dead hand/ knock down wedge shots or account for the spin.

I've seen different from that. As a ball retailer/course operator, almost every single customer that I've watched play/hit golf balls that was playing a ProV1 family ball that I've recommended something else to, typically a TaylorMade, Srixon, or Bridgestone tour level ball, has all switched away from Titleist because they like the new ball more and play better with it. To the point that I don't even stock Titliest anymore (which is almost unimaginable for a proshop), and my premium level ball sales have actually increased. ProV1s definitely aren't the best ball for everyone, not even lower handicap golfers. I've got way too many years of witnessing this with thousands of golfers for that to be true.

I really like the Bstone X ball.... I just don't see the performance differences that you speak of, to me the V1 and V1X perform close to the same as all others but feel and sound a little softer around the greens and spin a little more, which I prefer. The Srixon and both TM balls have a noticeable click, the Bstone I would put in lines with the Titleist balls but as strange as it sounds I am not a fan of the Bstone dimple pattern. Again I think over a few round average the only thing that would change my score is how I am playing and the ball would have very little impact.

I'm more off 18 right now actually. Fortunately for you, I can and do feel a difference. My score doesn't constitute the ability to see how a ball performs for me. I've played every style premium ball in the last 4-5 years. Yeah, I can feel a difference and see a difference.

I'll go ahead and say that most of the balls used on tour are because of money and continued performance. That's just how it is. Taylormade might be paying rickie more. Bridgestone is paying tiger absurd amounts. Rory said he loved platinum RZN tour or black, which was produced by Bridgestone, but oh wait, he doesn't use that because TM pays him more.

Long story short, a handicap doesn't mean s*** when judging performance. I'll tell people to buy this ball over titleist prov1 and x all day every day.

I'm sorry but if you are an 18 handicap you are not making consistent enough solid contact to tell a difference. I would argue that most scratch or better players scores would not change over a 10 round average between the TP5 and ProV1. The differences between all these balls is very minor but at the end of the day can lead to a 3ft par putt versus a 4ft par putt which very well could be a stroke difference in score. Again this one foot difference is assuming you strike it well, if your chip it thin or fat it won't make a difference. I think the sound and feel is what changes the most between the balls and that just comes down to a comfort level.

Of all the premium balls I tested this year the only very obvious noticeable difference I found (other then feel or sound) was the TP5 excessive spin on full wedges. Basically all the other balls have slight differences that really are not going to make or break you over a 10 round average. The TP5 I found that I have to play a lot of dead hand/ knock down wedge shots or account for the spin.

I’m the same, the biggest difference I see besides feel is with the highest lofted wedge. Most are similar still on full swings, it’s the 60 to green side yardages where some will noticeably spin less. Depending on your course conditions and the types of shots you prefer around the green you’ll have a different preference.

Agree about your better player stance, I know some people won’t like to hear their opinion may not be as valuable but oh well, can’t make everyone happy.

What do you do to test balls? I’ve been trying 5-6 models, I’ll putt, chip, hit 20-40 yard pitches, then take a flightscope out for 75 yard, full lob wedge, 8 iron, driver. Going to be adding long iron this year as lack of spin with 4/5 iron was an issue for me last year.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Just as an FYI, Bridgestone stopped making balls for Nike when the RZN line rolled out. Before then yes, but not the final ones, which were made in Taiwan.

It's cool to see high index golfers spending $40-50 per dozen on premium balls - they make great finds on so many courses.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

I really like the Bstone X ball.... I just don't see the performance differences that you speak of, to me the V1 and V1X perform close to the same as all others but feel and sound a little softer around the greens and spin a little more, which I prefer. The Srixon and both TM balls have a noticeable click, the Bstone I would put in lines with the Titleist balls but as strange as it sounds I am not a fan of the Bstone dimple pattern. Again I think over a few round average the only thing that would change my score is how I am playing and the ball would have very little impact.

No biggie, that's why they make different balls..people have different preferences. I just have rarely truly seen anyone enjoy going back to a ProV1 after making an actual true attempt to play literally almost any other tour caliber ball. I think it has a lot to do with people that play ProV1 typically have played it most of it's life (or their life), and are accustomed to its feel, sound, performance, etc. Hey...that's why Titleist does what they do...they've hooked people on it early (through various methods, I've mentioned them in other threads), and most people are creatures of habit. But those players that I've switched to a new ball and have played with it long enough to learn what it does (key point there...not just a round or two) almost always say it was the best thing they've done for their game, and wish they had done it sooner. Similar to when you get (just for kicks and giggles) a player who plays (and has played for a while) another tour caliber, non-ProV1 ball and ask them to play a ProV1...they usually report that they can't stand it/hate it, at least in my experience.

I've been in the business since before the ProV1 came to market, and I just honestly have never seen anything great about that ball. Tried playing it many times, and it's definitely not the cost that's a concern for me...I'm in the golf business, and you can get as many of them as you want for free more or less. I just don't see it being a great ball. I don't consider it in the top 3 tour balls in terms of performance. That's an opinion I've developed during it's entire life, from my personal experiences and from discussions I've had with all the lower handicap, higher handicap, and tournament golfers I've encountered in my career.

I'm the same, the biggest difference I see besides feel is with the highest lofted wedge. Most are similar still on full swings, it's the 60 to green side yardages where some will noticeably spin less. Depending on your course conditions and the types of shots you prefer around the green you'll have a different preference.

Agree about your better player stance, I know some people won't like to hear their opinion may not be as valuable but oh well, can't make everyone happy.

What do you do to test balls? I've been trying 5-6 models, I'll putt, chip, hit 20-40 yard pitches, then take a flightscope out for 75 yard, full lob wedge, 8 iron, driver. Going to be adding long iron this year as lack of spin with 4/5 iron was an issue for me last year.

Lots of chipping and pitching on a good green where I can see the differences. Get onto an empty course that I know well, hit alternating shots of tee, fairway, onto greens, etc and see how it performs. If I mishit a shot I really not take that ball into account. If I see anything that needs to be verified I will hit some on a monitor but it's generally not needed.

\

I'm sorry, but judging someone's ball striking ability, solely based their handicap is a ridiculous proposition. I'm a single digit right now, but it wasn't long ago I was an 18hcp, and I can tell you I was not a poor ball striker. I was not good off the tee, not good at putting, and only ok around the greens... but I was a good ball striker, certainly good enough to notice a difference between the different balls.

Well telling me I don’t know something due to score level doesn’t mean much in my eye. I never needed anyone’s approval on here. Still don’t. Maybe, I am ranked first in driving and scrambling but can’t not make a 4 putt to save my life. You don’t know, son. You don’t.

I see pitch mark versus where the ball stopped after in spins back. I see a ball releasing. I can feel the ball for compression and note it’s respnse off certain clubs. I def don’t strike center every shot. I’m sure you don’t either.

I’d still take this over any Prov1 any day.

Well telling me I don't know something due to score level doesn't mean much in my eye. I never needed anyone's approval on here. Still don't. Maybe, I am ranked first in driving and scrambling but can't not make a 4 putt to save my life. You don't know, son. You don't.

I see pitch mark versus where the ball stopped after in spins back. I see a ball releasing. I can feel the ball for compression and note it's respnse off certain clubs. I def don't strike center every shot. I'm sure you don't either.

I'd still take this over any Prov1 any day.

Agreed. More relevant would be swing speed and if your a high spin, medium spin, or low spin player.

Chris975d,

So what are your top 3 tour balls in terms of performance? I am interested in trying out some golf balls this year as I am in the camp that has habitually always played a ProV1. The Bridgestone ball and TP5x are on my short list of contenders to knock out the ProV1.

(too many quotes I couldn't figure out how to reply directly to you, hope u see this)

Well telling me I don't know something due to score level doesn't mean much in my eye. I never needed anyone's approval on here. Still don't. Maybe, I am ranked first in driving and scrambling but can't not make a 4 putt to save my life. You don't know, son. You don't.

I see pitch mark versus where the ball stopped after in spins back. I see a ball releasing. I can feel the ball for compression and note it's respnse off certain clubs. I def don't strike center every shot. I'm sure you don't either.

I'd still take this over any Prov1 any day.

\

I'm sorry, but judging someone's ball striking ability, solely based their handicap is a ridiculous proposition. I'm a single digit right now, but it wasn't long ago I was an 18hcp, and I can tell you I was not a poor ball striker. I was not good off the tee, not good at putting, and only ok around the greens... but I was a good ball striker, certainly good enough to notice a difference between the different balls.

I agree to a point, but by and large, he isn't wrong. Would you listen to what a 36 handicap says about a ball? They're lucky to get it off the ground more often than not. Not saying they can't contribute at all, just that their scope might be limited to a very small part of the performance of the ball (likely putting?).

I know there are anecdotes (like the post below yours) where someone says they drive it like a +4 but 4 putt greens or can't hit a driver, but are excellent ball strikers. Sorry, those people don't exist. 18s are 18s for a reason. They do everything measurably worse than a scratch.

As a golf pro, I played thousands of rounds of golf, fit and taught innumerable golfers and have never seen an 18 drive it like a <5 handicap. I will say I've seen 12s drive it well, while still being very new to the game and are rapidly improving (hitting lots of balls, very little short game work--they are typically very good athletes before picking up the game too). That's still a ways off from your original point.

Don't get me wrong, everyone has something to contribute of value. I just wish people would be far more specific in their reviews of a ball. "As an 18 handicap, I'm driving it straighter than ever before due to the less spin off the driver" etc.

While I don't use the TP5, it's good to know there may be an issue with excessive spin for a higher swing speed/low handicap players.

Sorry this is sort of off topic, but it is crazy how many perpetuate this myth... sort of like X celebrity/pro athlete could play on tour, etc.

I'll go one step further and say that without a quality test on a LM with similar strikes then we can't really have an accurate discussion on 1-2 degrees of launch or a couple hundred RPMs. There's just no way to see that on the course with any sort of reliability.

That said, on course testing does serve a purpose and can be very informative. I did a bunch of ball testing when the first TP5 came out and the numbers were close on the LM, but the aerodynamics of the balls in windy conditions were much different when I got them out on the course. Of course there is also green side performance that is a major consideration when selecting which ball is right for you.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

There may be exceptions but most higher handicap players just aren't consistent enough to tell any significant performance difference between the different Tour-level urethane balls. Feel and durability, ok...maybe.

My brother claims the Pro VIx is 10 yards longer off the driver for him (he's a 16 hc). I'm like, how the hell can you tell...you never hit two shots that look alike through an entire round. I just shake my head.

Anyway, I tested the new TP5x v. last year's model on a week long/10 round trip to the DR and to me they feel and perform almost identical to one another. I do think the new one is slightly more durable and resistant to scuffing, but the dimple edges started to smooth out over 18 holes.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I'll go one step further and say that without a quality test on a LM with similar strikes then we can't really have an accurate discussion on 1-2 degrees of launch or a couple hundred RPMs. There's just no way to see that on the course with any sort of reliability.

That said, on course testing does serve a purpose and can be very informative. I did a bunch of ball testing when the first TP5 came out and the numbers were close on the LM, but the aerodynamics of the balls in windy conditions were much different when I got them out on the course. Of course there is also green side performance that is a major consideration when selecting which ball is right for you.

I agree you cannot see 1-2° launch and a few hundred RPM spin with a naked eye. The reason I don't think a LM is needed is because 1/2 launch a few hundred spin is really a non factor compared to what you actually see and feel. Don't get me a wrong if I had a Trackman I would use it but at the end of the day it's not going to tell me anything that is going to sway my decision.

I agree to a point, but by and large, he isn't wrong. Would you listen to what a 36 handicap says about a ball? They're lucky to get it off the ground more often than not. Not saying they can't contribute at all, just that their scope might be limited to a very small part of the performance of the ball (likely putting?).

I know there are anecdotes (like the post below yours) where someone says they drive it like a +4 but 4 putt greens or can't hit a driver, but are excellent ball strikers. Sorry, those people don't exist. 18s are 18s for a reason. They do everything measurably worse than a scratch.

As a golf pro, I played thousands of rounds of golf, fit and taught innumerable golfers and have never seen an 18 drive it like a <5 handicap. I will say I've seen 12s drive it well, while still being very new to the game and are rapidly improving (hitting lots of balls, very little short game work--they are typically very good athletes before picking up the game too). That's still a ways off from your original point.

Don't get me wrong, everyone has something to contribute of value. I just wish people would be far more specific in their reviews of a ball. "As an 18 handicap, I'm driving it straighter than ever before due to the less spin off the driver" etc.

While I don't use the TP5, it's good to know there may be an issue with excessive spin for a higher swing speed/low handicap players.

Sorry this is sort of off topic, but it is crazy how many perpetuate this myth... sort of like X celebrity/pro athlete could play on tour, etc.

There may be exceptions but most higher handicap players just aren't consistent enough to tell any significant performance difference between the different Tour-level urethane balls. Feel and durability, ok...maybe.

My brother claims the Pro VIx is 10 yards longer off the driver for him (he's a 16 hc). I'm like, how the hell can you tell...you never hit two shots that look alike through an entire round. I just shake my head.

Anyway, I tested the new TP5x v. last year's model on a week long/10 round trip to the DR and to me they feel and perform almost identical to one another. I do think the new one is slightly more durable and resistant to scuffing, but the dimple edges started to smooth out over 18 holes.

:fan_1: :victory: