Orlando Fl Courses

Going to Orlando for a week at the end of March trying to figure out which courses to play. We're planning about 3 rounds of golf and we're staying pretty close to Sea World from what Google Maps shows. Any advice on what courses to play or avoid? I've been searching online, but don't know anything about these courses. We're not looking to spend a fortune, but I'd like to see if I could play at least 1 Championship style of course (Falcon's Fire? Reunion Courses?)

Also correct me if I'm wrong, getting out on Bay Hill requires staying at that specific lodge, and very costly, right?

Edit: how hot should I expect it to be at the end of March? I haven't been to Orlando/Florida in years and last times I was there it was the middle of winter.

Thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would try and go to southern dunes for sure. Next shingle Creek and grand cypress. Reunion is nice if you can play Watson course. Any of the Disney courses or championsgate.

I heard very mixed reviews about Shingle Creek recently from a group that was down there, I wasn't sure what to expect.

What's the difference between the different Reunion Courses, I was looking at the website, and they all seemed nice. Thanks for the input.

All of the Grand Cypress courses are great. Falcon's Fire and Orange County National are solid. havent played Celebration in years but that one was fun too.

High end resort courses - Ritz course is a great fun course. I'd stay away from the Waldorf course. Norman design that is way too difficult.

SIM 9 Degree set to 10.5 - AD IZ 6TX w/ TP adaptor - plays 44.5"

SIM MAX Ventus Blue 6S - std length

SIM Max 19 Hybrid HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist U510 4I - HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist 620CB 5I-9I - Modus 120X pured/hard stepped, 1 flat

Titleist 620MB PW & Vokey SM8 Raw 50.08F bent 1 weak, 2 flat - X100

Vokey SM8 Raw 54.10S bent 1 weak, 2 flat - S400

Vokey SM8 WW Raw 60 Low K bent 2 flat - S400

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Laguna Two - 36" 

ProV1x - #41

I would try and go to southern dunes for sure. Next shingle Creek and grand cypress. Reunion is nice if you can play Watson course. Any of the Disney courses or championsgate.

I heard very mixed reviews about Shingle Creek recently from a group that was down there, I wasn't sure what to expect.

What's the difference between the different Reunion Courses, I was looking at the website, and they all seemed nice. Thanks for the input.

I played all 3 Reunion courses last March during a March Madness basketball/golf trip. All 3 couses were very nice. The Nicklaus course was my favorite. Its a few minutes away from the resort and the clubhouse was an old trailer then but the course was immaculate. The Palmer course was nice as was the Watson. The Watson course has toooooooons of bunkers. I was in a bunker on every hole. Rather it been a greenside/fairway/waste. The clubhouse for Palmer/Watson is connected to the beautiful resort. Make sure to go to the top floor restraunt and grab a drink on the balcony overlooking the city. We bumped into John Scherholtz (old ATL Braves GM) in the elevator on our way up. He was there for Spring Training. He was a very nice gentleman. He even made a point to seek us out and asked how our stay was going. As far as the weather is concerned, it's Florida, it'll be hot and muggy with rain in the afternoon! I would also recommend Grand Cypress. It was in great condition when I played there last September.

There are multiple threads in the Florida forum on Orlando courses.

For high-end resort "championship style" courses I'd consider Ritz, Waldorf, and Tranquilo (now private but you can get on after 1pm and other certain times if you check).

Very solid, well maintained resort courses: Southern Dunes, Championsgate Country Club, Orange County National, Reunion, Celebration, Grand Cypress.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

• 2 weeks later...

I played all 3 Reunion courses last March during a March Madness basketball/golf trip. All 3 couses were very nice. The Nicklaus course was my favorite. Its a few minutes away from the resort and the clubhouse was an old trailer then but the course was immaculate. The Palmer course was nice as was the Watson. The Watson course has toooooooons of bunkers. I was in a bunker on every hole. Rather it been a greenside/fairway/waste. The clubhouse for Palmer/Watson is connected to the beautiful resort. Make sure to go to the top floor restraunt and grab a drink on the balcony overlooking the city. We bumped into John Scherholtz (old ATL Braves GM) in the elevator on our way up. He was there for Spring Training. He was a very nice gentleman. He even made a point to seek us out and asked how our stay was going. As far as the weather is concerned, it's Florida, it'll be hot and muggy with rain in the afternoon! I would also recommend Grand Cypress. It was in great condition when I played there last September.

lol. Come on dude he's going in March. Weather will be perfect. Hot and muggy with afternoon rain is strictly a Summer thing down here. June through Sept basically. He can expect sun every day with temps probably in low 80's with not much humidity. I played Watson Reunion in a tourney last year and was not very impressed. Played Palm and Magnolia in December and they were okay but neither would be worth the price they are charging. LBV is the choice if you are playing in Disney imo. Tranquilo if you can get on is top top. Grand Cypress is where you want to play though. Especially the New Course. Probably pricey and most likely busy but that entire place is pretty great. North South may put you on suicide watch if your game is rusty but that New Course is pretty special.

Going to Orlando for a week at the end of March trying to figure out which courses to play. We're planning about 3 rounds of golf and we're staying pretty close to Sea World from what Google Maps shows. Any advice on what courses to play or avoid? I've been searching online, but don't know anything about these courses. We're not looking to spend a fortune, but I'd like to see if I could play at least 1 Championship style of course (Falcon's Fire? Reunion Courses?)

Also correct me if I'm wrong, getting out on Bay Hill requires staying at that specific lodge, and very costly, right?

Edit: how hot should I expect it to be at the end of March? I haven't been to Orlando/Florida in years and last times I was there it was the middle of winter.

Thanks

Go out to Orange County National - both 18s are good, but IMO Panther Lake is a little better. PGA and Champion's Tour qualifying have been held there.

It's probably a 30 minute drive from Sea World.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Thanks

Orange County National is a must! The practice facilities area amazing. Get there early to take advantage! Good luck.

Qi10 LS 9* Ventus Black 6-S

Stealth2 Tour Issue 16.5* Hzrdus Yellow SB 6.0/70g

Stealth 18* Hzrdus Yellow SB 6.0/70g

TM Stealth2 Tour Issue Hybrid 22* Kuro 80x

Srixon MKii ZX5 5-GW Onyx DG AMT White S300

Cleveland RTX6 Black 54/58 Onyx DG X100

TM Spider GT Black on Black 33.5"

I am booking rounds for 8 of us in Orlando area in April.

So far I have both courses at Orange County National and I have Celebration booked.

I am considering Southern Dunes but I have never played it.

How does Southern Dunes compare to the courses above and to Waldorf, Hawks Landing, and Falcons Fire.

I have played all of those so I would love to know how Southern Dunes compares to them.

Thanks

I am booking rounds for 8 of us in Orlando area in April.

So far I have both courses at Orange County National and I have Celebration booked.

I am considering Southern Dunes but I have never played it.

How does Southern Dunes compare to the courses above and to Waldorf, Hawks Landing, and Falcons Fire.

I have played all of those so I would love to know how Southern Dunes compares to them.

Thanks

I prefer Southern Dunes to all of the ones you mentioned excpet perhaps Orange Count National's two courses. Here's a link to photo tours of all the courses you mentioned: https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157631972135446/

Southern Dunes: https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631966721322/

Bella Collina in Montverde is worth playing - not sure what they're getting out there for greens fees or if they've gone back to totally private.

Taylor Made Spider Mini

If you could only play one round in Orlando, what course would that be?

Private - tossup between Bay Hill and Lake Nona

Public - Orange County National (Panther Lake), Grand Cypress New, or Tranquilo

Out of all of them - Lake Nona

Taylor Made Spider Mini

Private: Bay Hill or Nona, wouldn't complain about either

Public: Tranquilo / Waldorf / Ritz, in that order.

Toulon Chicago

Tranquilo went private I thought. Or had to stay at the hotel onsite like Bay Hill

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Tranquilo went private I thought. Or had to stay at the hotel onsite like Bay Hill

I called Tranquilo and it is for members and resort guests only. Same as Bay Hill which is a bummer but that business model works if you have a great course like those two. I'm looking for public courses unless anyone wants to get me on Lake Nona :)

I called Tranquilo and it is for members and resort guests only. Same as Bay Hill which is a bummer but that business model works if you have a great course like those two. I'm looking for public courses unless anyone wants to get me on Lake Nona :)

Both 18s @ Orange County National, Falcons Fire, Shingle Creek, Southern Dunes. Drive a little bit and you can play LPGA International in Daytona, Mission Inn La Campeon in Howey-in-the-Hills, possibly Bella Collina in Montverde. Drive a little further and you can play World Woods in Brooksville.

Taylor Made Spider Mini

Book it through TeeTimesUSA. I'm playing there this Saturday. It's something funny like only 1pm or later on weekends, I don't remember exactly.

Toulon Chicago

Currently playing the Disney courses about 3-4 times a week and practicing just about every day. It’s hard to beat that Players Club deal. The Palm and Magnolia are both solid courses. They aren’t breathtaking or anything but it’s solid resort golf. The only complaint I have is the practice areas sucks. Just a putting green and range. Currently the Palm range is grass but you have to get a shuttle over there or walk. Magnolia range is still off the mats which is extremely frustrating. But no short game area at all is severely annoying. You don’t even need that big of an area. It would just be nice to be able to work on bunker shots and wedge game. Just makes zero sense. When they were still hosting PGA tour events did they have a short game area? I can’t imagine the pros would enjoy playing an event without a short game area to warm up at.

Currently playing the Disney courses about 3-4 times a week and practicing just about every day. It's hard to beat that Players Club deal. The Palm and Magnolia are both solid courses. They aren't breathtaking or anything but it's solid resort golf. The only complaint I have is the practice areas sucks. Just a putting green and range. Currently the Palm range is grass but you have to get a shuttle over there or walk. Magnolia range is still off the mats which is extremely frustrating. But no short game area at all is severely annoying. You don't even need that big of an area. It would just be nice to be able to work on bunker shots and wedge game. Just makes zero sense. When they were still hosting PGA tour events did they have a short game area? I can't imagine the pros would enjoy playing an event without a short game area to warm up at.

Did Disney ever do PGA events? I know they do AJGA and College Golf events but never PGA?

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Don’t mean to hijack your thread but I’m stuck on a choice between Orange County National, LPGA International, or Victoria Hills for one round.

Anyone have any advice on which to choose?

Victoria Hills is a good layout but generally in rough shape. OCN would be my choice by a landslide over those

Currently playing the Disney courses about 3-4 times a week and practicing just about every day. It's hard to beat that Players Club deal. The Palm and Magnolia are both solid courses. They aren't breathtaking or anything but it's solid resort golf. The only complaint I have is the practice areas sucks. Just a putting green and range. Currently the Palm range is grass but you have to get a shuttle over there or walk. Magnolia range is still off the mats which is extremely frustrating. But no short game area at all is severely annoying. You don't even need that big of an area. It would just be nice to be able to work on bunker shots and wedge game. Just makes zero sense. When they were still hosting PGA tour events did they have a short game area? I can't imagine the pros would enjoy playing an event without a short game area to warm up at.

Did Disney ever do PGA events? I know they do AJGA and College Golf events but never PGA?

Huh? It was PGA Tour event for 41 years

Which public courses in Orlando have hosted a PGA Tour event? It's always fun to play something the pros have played

Public courses? None currently besides Disney I guess. The only is Bay Hill which is private, but you can play a round if you are a resort guest.

I think Ventura CC in Orlando used to host a PGA event? It's public now, but its also a garbage goat track of a course. We have fraternity golf days out there now.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Huh? It was PGA Tour event for 41 years

Neat...I just googled it. Guess it was last played in 2012.

That pretty much predates my time in golf lol

1978-2013 I believe.

Just got back from our guys trip to Orlando. We stayed at a house in Reunion. Played the Palmer and Watson. The Palmer is a ton of fun and you can go low there. Courses are in great shape.

We also played Country Club of Orlando. Recently went through renovations and it was well done. Not worth the unaccompanied guest fees though, imo.

Championsgate has 36 holes, the National and the International. Good practice facilities and the courses were challenging. We played both but I preferred the International course.

We also played Southern Dunes. The rough, tee boxes, and bunkers were in great shape. And for $70 we payed, I was really excited. However, they just redid a bunch of the greens. A few were pretty bad and nearly unplayable. It was disappointing because the rest of the course was awesome. It’s honestly a great deal for a good course, but bad or recovering greens make it tough to recommend right now. This time next year it’ll be a must play for a public track.

The last course we played was Country Club of Winter Haven. It’s a bit off the map and was just founded 5 years ago. Everyone that worked there was super friendly and the course was awesome. Great layout with awesome green complexes. Really fun course to play with a group of guys and a nice hidden gem.

Our group has played Orange County National in previous years and everyone loves it there. So you can’t go wrong with that either. Have fun, the weather should be perfect!