Taylormade Tour Issue 2016-2018 M Series Drivers....Trackman Comparison Data

TollBros

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I have asked this already. But does someone know why M4 Tour Fairway was not used from Tour players and only standard M4 Fairway were in play?

In the past the M2 Tour Fairway received a lot of love, but not M4 Tour...

I didn't even know there was an M4 Tour....

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

I know I have asked this already. But does someone know why M4 Tour Fairway was not used from Tour players and only standard M4 Fairway were in play?

In the past the M2 Tour Fairway received a lot of love, but not M4 Tour...

The sole from the DF or "tour" head in the 2017 M2 and M4 both deviated from the 2016 deep face tour head. The one that everyone was playing. The 2016 head has a flatter leading edge and the 2017 model as well as m4 has more of a spoony, rounded sole from heel to toe. I just don't think the players seem to like that type of sole as much as the flatter sole and more uniform leading edge. It kind of reminds me of way back when the 200 series Taylormade woods were out and there was a flat sole version and a round sole version. The round sole was very popular with the ams but the tour players almost universally played the flatter sole version. The same holds true now.

Hi TollBros,

I consolidated the Trackman data from the four (4) different players.

Great Testing Series. Great Data. Clear Tendencies. Thank you.

Do you also have the average Angle of Attack for each player available? Would be also very interesting to assess launch angle and spin better.

The clear winner based on Data is M4 2018 slightly before M2 2016.

Andreas

Hi TollBros,

I consolidated the Trackman data from the four (4) different players.

Great Testing Series. Great Data. Clear Tendencies. Thank you.

Do you also have the average Angle of Attack for each player available? Would be also very interesting to assess launch angle and spin better.

The clear winner based on Data is M4 2018 slightly before M2 2016.

Andreas

That's some good work there! We collect all data. Path, AOA, dispersion, etc. We just don't give that info out, because we use it to create profiles that we use as a tool to help fit our customers. Giving that info out would help lazy club fitters who don't want to do their own testing and data collection, and just want to take others hard work for their own benefit. In other words, it would give our competition access to the reasons we are so accurate when it comes to fitting and identifying what profiles work best for certain types of swings at certain speeds. Hopefully that doesn't come off as rude, it's just the honest truth.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of people have been asking me what beat out my 7* g400max tour head and F9...well, here it is. I played m3 last year but cracked 3 different retail heads in less than 50 hits. These were retail heads so they were replaced each time but as you can imagine it got annoying to finally get a head dialed in and then starting all over. So I went away from TM with the g400max and f9 but I could never get consistent with either. Hopefully the stronger titanium and materials in the tour head will hold up for me.

What is it about the m3?

1) Top line graphics and alignment. I need a color contrast between face and top line color. Every time I try something else I struggle getting the club face lined up.

2) Specific specs. I need low loft AND an open face angle of 3-4* so I have this set at approximately 3.5* open with 7g of melt forward and toe side.

3) Adjustability. I don’t get to play often enough to always have my driver swing consistent. I may go 2 weeks without hitting it and at my speed, any small change in path or face angle can have a large directional impact. So being able to adjust a little too much of fade or draw bias gives me confidence.

Bottom line I’m so much more consistent and I am able to play a fade again. I can line up at the left 1/3 of the fairway and fully release it. If I over cook it at all it will only draw 3-5 yards and end up in the left intermediate. If I time it wrong and don’t shut the face quick enough and end up with a hard cut, the ball is still in the right intermediate cut. Each of those misses are extremely rare for me.

With the ping and f9 I couldn’t get my start line consistent and I either over hook it or push fade. They are both great drivers but just not a good fit for what I like to do off the tee.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

A lot of people have been asking me what beat out my 7* g400max tour head and F9...well, here it is. I played m3 last hear but cracked 3 different retail heads in less than 50 hits. These were retail heads so they were replaced each time but as you can imagine it was got annoying to finally get a head dialed in and then starting all over. So I went away from TM with the g400max and f9 but I could never get consistent with either. Hopefully the stronger titanium and materials in the tour head will hold up for me.

What is it about the m3?

1) Top line graphics and alignment. I need a color contrast between face and top line color. Every time I try something else I struggle getting the club face lined up.

2) Specific specs. I need low loft AND an open face angle of 3-4* so I have this set at approximately 3.5* open with 7g of melt forward and toe side.

3) Adjustability. I don’t get to play often enough to always have my driver swing consistent. I may go 2 weeks without hitting it and at my speed, any degree change in delivered face angle to path will have a huge directional impact. So being able to adjust a little too much of fade or draw bias gives me confidence.

Bottom line I’m so much more consistent and I am able to play a fade again. I can line up at the left 1/3 of the fairway and fully release it. If I over cook it at all it will only draw 3-5 reads and end up in the left intermediate. If Itime it wrong and don’t shut the face quick enough and end up with a hard cut, the ball is still in the right intermediate cut. Each of those misses are extremely rare for me.

With the ping and f9 I couldn’t get my start line consistent and I either over hook it or push fade. They are both great drivers but just not a good fit for what I like to do off the tee.

I've got something you need to try in it.

A lot of people have been asking me what beat out my 7* g400max tour head and F9...well, here it is. I played m3 last hear but cracked 3 different retail heads in less than 50 hits. These were retail heads so they were replaced each time but as you can imagine it was got annoying to finally get a head dialed in and then starting all over. So I went away from TM with the g400max and f9 but I could never get consistent with either. Hopefully the stronger titanium and materials in the tour head will hold up for me.

What is it about the m3?

3) Adjustability. I don’t get to play often enough to always have my driver swing consistent. I may go 2 weeks without hitting it and at my speed, any degree change in delivered face angle to path will have a huge directional impact. So being able to adjust a little too much of fade or draw bias gives me confidence.

Bottom line I’m so much more consistent and I am able to play a fade again. I can line up at the left 1/3 of the fairway and fully release it. If I over cook it at all it will only draw 3-5 reads and end up in the left intermediate. If Itime it wrong and don’t shut the face quick enough and end up with a hard cut, the ball is still in the right intermediate cut. Each of those misses are extremely rare for me.

Piretti Savona 

What is it about the m3?

Oh I bet you do!

Piretti Savona 

A lot of people have been asking me what beat out my 7* g400max tour head and F9...

I noticed, and was going to ask. Thanks for the update. Always interested to hear what you big hitters are wielding.

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

A lot of people have been asking me what beat out my 7* g400max tour head and F9...

I noticed, and was going to ask. Thanks for the update. Always interested to hear what you big hitters are wielding.

A lot of us really need very specific loft and face angles, and these days Taylormade is the only company left making heads in all lofts without this "one loft" nonsense everyone else seems to be into. It makes the choice easy, but it's also nice that the company that does this happens to make the best drivers in the world. Thank God.

I play the G400 lst now but have a Tm fitting on Sunday.

Will see if the Tm heads fix a potential spin problem or if it is just me that needs fixing... the m3 could be a contender

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I play the G400 lst now but have a Tm fitting on Sunday.

Will see if the Tm heads fix a potential spin problem or if it is just me that needs fixing... the m3 could be a contender

Have the actual face loft measured on both heads just so you know what you're dealing with. If you don't, one could be a degree or more off the other and you won't really know.

How many more sleeps until the M5/M6 data, TB?

I would think M5/6 tour issue heads won't be much different from retail in regards to ball speed and smash factor. Only benefit I could see now to a TI head is getting a specific loft or face angle. Or speed injection is a gimmick.

Taylormade SIM 8* - Matrix OZIK MFS Black Tie 70X
Taylormade M5 15* - Aldila Black Mamba 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* - Fuji Motore Speeder 8.3X
Taylormade P790 4-PW - Project X 7.0
Taylormade Hi Toe 52* and 58* - KBS $-Taper 125 S+ Black
Taylormade Ardmore 2 35" Super Stroke Claw 1.0

How many more sleeps until the M5/M6 data, TB? ��

I would think M5/6 tour issue heads won't be much different from retail in regards to ball speed and smash factor. Only benefit I could see now to a TI head is getting a specific loft or face angle. Or speed injection is a gimmick.

They’ve never been different in regards to ball speed and smash factor. The entire point of tour issue heads is to get the exact specs you want.

Piretti Savona 

They've never been different in regards to ball speed and smash factor. The entire point of tour issue heads is to get the exact specs you want.

It also allowed you to verify that your head was not a "dud" through CT verification.

Taylormade SIM 8* - Matrix OZIK MFS Black Tie 70X
Taylormade M5 15* - Aldila Black Mamba 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* - Fuji Motore Speeder 8.3X
Taylormade P790 4-PW - Project X 7.0
Taylormade Hi Toe 52* and 58* - KBS $-Taper 125 S+ Black
Taylormade Ardmore 2 35" Super Stroke Claw 1.0

They’ve never been different in regards to ball speed and smash factor. The entire point of tour issue heads is to get the exact specs you want.

Yes exactly. Making sure your specs are right on is massively more important than a yard of carry distance based on a CT reading. It's all about maximizing launch and spin with a correct face angle for the player.

They've never been different in regards to ball speed and smash factor. The entire point of tour issue heads is to get the exact specs you want.

It also allowed you to verify that your head was not a "dud" through CT verification.

With the difference between a dud and non dud being literally 1-2 yards at absolute most

With the difference between a dud and non dud being literally 1-2 yards at absolute most

Yes pretty much. The difference between a 239 and 254 CT is maybe 2 yards. 99% of the Tour heads I see are in the 244-252 range. The one I personally play is 247CT and I have never once cared or thought about it.

Years ago a major manufacturer ordered a line of their drivers with specifications not to exceed 0.83 COR. I played their drivers for a long time before that and swore I lost 5-6 yards and had no idea why until I played with their COO who told me about their “issue”. Lots of duds in that line.

Maybe worth it to pay up to know your CT is at least 239.

Years ago a major manufacturer ordered a line of their drivers with specifications not to exceed 0.83 COR. I played their drivers for a long time before that and swore I lost 5-6 yards and had no idea why until I played with their COO who told me about their “issue”. Lots of duds in that line.

Maybe worth it to pay up to know your CT is at least 239.

I think the thing that a lot of people disregard is the fact that all of these companies have specific patents on their face technology. Some of these produce higher off center ball speeds, and not so long ago higher center strike ball speeds. There is absolutely no question that seven or eight years ago certain companies were simply not able to make drivers with the ball speeds of other companies based on face technology alone. These days the Gap has certainly narrowed, but make no mistake certain face technologies are more efficient than others, and those are completely brand dependent.

How many more sleeps until the M5/M6 data, TB? ?

oh wow, I don’t know how I missed that! I know you get peppered with a lot of questions about “When will you post about...” and that takes care of that haha. Thanks TB!

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1747862-gge-content-schedule-2019-through-april/page__pid__18691324#entry18691324

Current shafts for my m3 tour head I got from from JT and GGE. The head was the 5th item I have purchased from them over the past 2 years and will certainly continue to do so. All items you see here have been from them. I’m excited to see what the green proto will do in the m3. I played the DF in a retail m3(well 3 of them) last fall so I am very comfortable with that combo. FWIW I didn’t get along with the DF in the other heads I tried(F9 and 7* g400max tour head) but the green proto was noticeably better pariring with those mid spin heads. I may have to adjust loft a little given how much lower spin the green is but I’m excited to see what the differences are.

Piretti Savona 

Current shafts for my m3 tour head I got from from JT and GGE. The head was the 5th item I have purchased from them over the past 2 years and will certainly continue to do so. All items you see here have been from them. I’m excited to see what the green proto will do in the m3. I played the DF in a retail m3(well 3 of them) last fall so I am very comfortable with that combo. FWIW I didn’t get along with the DF in the other heads I tried(F9 and 7* g400max tour head) but the green proto was noticeably better pariring with those mid spin heads. I may have to adjust loft a little given how much lower spin the green is but I’m excited to see what the differences are.

When you know, please let us know how the green works for you in the M3 head. It wad the exact combo I was very close to playing until the M5 came and changed things for me. I still have that club perfectly set up for me and will be holding on to it. It was every bit as good as my 2016 M2 and a little more predictable with the flight.

When you know, please let us know how the green works for you in the M3 head. It wad the exact combo I was very close to playing until the M5 came and changed things for me. I still have that club perfectly set up for me and will be holding on to it. It was every bit as good as my 2016 M2 and a little more predictable with the flight.

Certainly will once I get an opportunity to. Weather shows a warming trend this week and then daylight savings so I should have the opportunity soon.

Piretti Savona