Help me plan my 40th birthday trip

so the wife just told me that I can go on a golf trip for my 40th birthday. Now I've got paralysis by analysis trying to figure out where to go. I'm on the East Coast (NJ) which might make a difference. I'm gonna have 4 full days, maybe 5 depending on travel times. I wanna have an immersive golf experience and play as much as possible. This isn't a "money is no object" kind of trip, but it doesn't need to be budget golf. There are a couple places I need to go play golf before I die, but I'm not sure if any of these places are doable in my 4-4.5 day time frame for this trip:

1. Bandon

2. Cabot Links/cliffs

3. Pinehurst

4. Streamsong

5. Scotland

Realistically Pinehurst is my best bet. I could drive down there after work on a thursday and be there by midnight, play for the next three days, maybe a short round on the fourth before getting in the car and driving home.

Here's my question, am I missing a place, is there someplace totally under the radar that would be awesome. This would be mid-late september.

I'm not averse to plane travel, but it needs to not be a crazy kind of travel time. I think that Bandon, Cabot and Scotland would end up taking a full day out of my schedule and/or would be better served by having more time at the destination.

I'm at the complete beginning planning stages, so any ideas would be awesome.

I really don't want other stuff to do except for golf, so Vegas and places like that don't hold much appeal. If I could get to a place and not have to leave the property I would be a happy camper.

Driver: Titleist 917 D3 /Oban Devotion 6x
3 wood: Taylor Made 2017 M1 w/ GD AD-DI 7x
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1/KBS tour hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP25/ Nippon 1150GH S
Wedges: 50,54 Callaway MD3 Chrome, 58 Titleist SM7
Putter: Odyssey O-works #9

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bandon. I went for my 40th in November, and am already dreaming about ways to get back there as soon as possible. The all-day travel is worth it in my opinion.

Titleist TSr2 9 

Titleist TSr2 16.5 

Callaway Apex UW 19
TaylorMade 2023 P790 4-AW

TaylorMade MG4 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
ProV1x

I can't recommend Scotland or Ireland enough. There are so many incredible courses close to each other, and Links Golf is so much fun. I enjoyed playing over there so much I booked another trip a few months after I got back from the first! Bandon looks incredible, but getting there can be just as tough as getting to Scotland from the East Coast. I would definitely like to visit Pinehurst and Bandon someday, but for me it's a no-brainer as to where I'd go if I had my choice. Hope I could help!

I agree with both posts above, Bandon and Scotland are by far on the top of my list. Here is my issue/concern. I am only able to take off a friday/monday (or thurs/friday or monday/tues). I would be able to leave NJ by about 3PM on Thursday, but would have to be back to work for tuesday morning. I have no problem being absolutely dead tired for that day of work, but I also want to feel like I "got my money's worth" out of the trip. I feel like scotland would be such a rush that I'd leave hoping I had 2 or 3 times as long as I did. Bandon might leave me with the same feeling, but at least I'd be able to play all the courses (probably). I guess with taking a red eye, I could leave thursday, be there for three full days of golf and travel home monday, Bandon seems like I'd only have two full days of golf.

All solid choices. I would add the Monterrey Peninsula and the local area (Pebble Beach, Spyglass, Links at Spanish Bay, Poppy Hills, Pasatiempo), and Wisconsin (Erin Hills, Whistling Straits, Blackwolf Run, The Bull). The RTJ Trail in Alabama is very nice, but certainly not the same caliber of golf as the other destinations.

Are you up to playing two rounds a day? I played four rounds at Bandon in two days. It beat me down, but I managed to get all four courses in.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Have you thought about somewhere like Ocean City, MD? I know its not anywhere near the level of prestige as the other places on your list, but for what you've described with your time constraints it might not be the worst place for you? There's a number of high-quality courses down there plus its only a 3 hour drive (possibly even less depending on where in NJ you are, I'm in Hunterdon county and its a little over 3 hours), so you wouldn't end up wasting as much time on the road. Just a thought

Yeah 2 rounds a day was kind of my plan, or if I did pinehurst, probably one of the main courses in the morning, then the cradle and thistle du all afternoon. I want to leave saying "I don't think I wanted to play any more golf than I just did."

I agree with both posts above, Bandon and Scotland are by far on the top of my list. Here is my issue/concern. I am only able to take off a friday/monday (or thurs/friday or monday/tues). I would be able to leave NJ by about 3PM on Thursday, but would have to be back to work for tuesday morning. I have no problem being absolutely dead tired for that day of work, but I also want to feel like I "got my money's worth" out of the trip. I feel like scotland would be such a rush that I'd leave hoping I had 2 or 3 times as long as I did. Bandon might leave me with the same feeling, but at least I'd be able to play all the courses (probably). I guess with taking a red eye, I could leave thursday, be there for three full days of golf and travel home monday, Bandon seems like I'd only have two full days of golf.

You could look at flying to someplace on the coast of the Carolinas, like Kiawah or Hilton Head. This would be pretty do-able if you can get direct flights to Charleston or Savannah. The downside, September is hurricane season. September weather is generally great, except when its terrifying.

I think with the short time-frame you have available, the logistics of getting to Scotland/Ireland or Bandon just eat up too much time. Late September opens up the possibility of a hurricane throwing a wrench at Florida or anything along the Atlantic coast. Pinehurst would be ideal from a logistics standpoint, and likely great conditions that time of year too.

I've not made it down to Branson from KC yet, but hear great things about Big Cedar Lodge from buddies that have been.

Reynolds Plantation would be another option

Give yourself more time for Scotland. I was over in the UK this fall and had two and a half days at St. Andrews and wish I had more. Links golf was a blast but I look forward to having an opportunity to go back and spending more time on the property, in town and other courses in the area. I would vote Pinehurst based on your schedule. Easily get two rounds a day and you want kill yourself making the drive down and back.

So your going to think I am crazy, but I think the easiest thing you could do to immerse yourself in golf is go to Scotland.

Hear me out, you can get a direct flight from Newark to Scotland. You can leave Thursday night and you will arrive at 7am in Scotland on Friday. Pick a town and stick with it. This will not be a hit the open rota trip.

Go to St. Andrews, you could be teeing off by 11am on any of the courses and play 36 that day if you get some sleep on the plane. You want to play the day you arrive at least 18, I feel it really helps with Jet Lag. You could play 36 or probably even 54 on Saturday and Sunday based on daylight until probably 9:30pm that time of year. You could also play Monday and fly home Tuesday or just fly home Monday. My suggestion would be come home Tuesday and there is your five days. You don't need a hotel Thursday night because you are on the plane.

Here is your only problem. September is a horrible month to go to St. Andrews. R&A annual meetings and the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship. So go in either August or early October. Or, go to East Lothian or Ayeshire and you won't have near the trouble. I would probably select Ayeshire over East Lothian just because to look at Muirfield and not play it will kill you, my assumption is they would be completely booked at this point.

Other thought, go to Kiawah. Newark to Charelston in the morning you are on a course by 12:30. You can play the day you fly home as well.

just my thoughts,

M

1. Bandon

2. Cabot Links/cliffs

3. Pinehurst

4. Streamsong

5. Scotland

Realistically Pinehurst is my best bet. I could drive down there after work on a thursday and be there by midnight, play for the next three days, maybe a short round on the fourth before getting in the car and driving home.

My two cents. I've been to Pinehurst 4x, Bandon twice, and Scotland. Streamsong and Cabot are on the list, just have to get to them.

Given your time constraints, I say go for Pinehurst. Golf in the Sandhills is very distinctive and you will enjoy it.

Instead of driving, I would fly into Raleigh. Depending on your schedule it will give you the opportunity some more golf and you won't be dog tired. As far was where to golf, here are my recommendations.

Pinehurst resort: Play the even courses, 2,4, 6, 8. They are the best ones. Even before the renovation #4 was good and it's supposed to be better now.

Off resort you should look at playing Mid Pines, Pine Needles, Tobacco Road and the Dormie Club.

If you had more time I would have suggested Bandon but it is such a PITA to get to that you really need 5 full days at least or you will feel rushed.

Good luck and have a blast!

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

So your going to think I am crazy, but I think the easiest thing you could do to immerse yourself in golf is go to Scotland.

Hear me out, you can get a direct flight from Newark to Scotland. You can leave Thursday night and you will arrive at 7am in Scotland on Friday. Pick a town and stick with it. This will not be a hit the open rota trip.

Go to St. Andrews, you could be teeing off by 11am on any of the courses and play 36 that day if you get some sleep on the plane. You want to play the day you arrive at least 18, I feel it really helps with Jet Lag. You could play 36 or probably even 54 on Saturday and Sunday based on daylight until probably 9:30pm that time of year. You could also play Monday and fly home Tuesday or just fly home Monday. My suggestion would be come home Tuesday and there is your five days. You don't need a hotel Thursday night because you are on the plane.

Here is your only problem. September is a horrible month to go to St. Andrews. R&A annual meetings and the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship. So go in either August or early October. Or, go to East Lothian or Ayeshire and you won't have near the trouble. I would probably select Ayeshire over East Lothian just because to look at Muirfield and not play it will kill you, my assumption is they would be completely booked at this point.

Other thought, go to Kiawah. Newark to Charelston in the morning you are on a course by 12:30. You can play the day you fly home as well.

just my thoughts,

M

It's not crazy, and the more I looked at it, the more I like the idea. A red-eye saves me a day and a night of accomodations. I am pretty much stuck with my timeframe though. Gotta be back to work by tuesday morning. I'm not ruling out scotland, but pinehurst has taken a front runner spot.

1. Bandon

2. Cabot Links/cliffs

3. Pinehurst

4. Streamsong

5. Scotland

My two cents. I've been to Pinehurst 4x, Bandon twice, and Scotland. Streamsong and Cabot are on the list, just have to get to them.

Given your time constraints, I say go for Pinehurst. Golf in the Sandhills is very distinctive and you will enjoy it.

Instead of driving, I would fly into Raleigh. Depending on your schedule it will give you the opportunity some more golf and you won't be dog tired. As far was where to golf, here are my recommendations.

Pinehurst resort: Play the even courses, 2,4, 6, 8. They are the best ones. Even before the renovation #4 was good and it's supposed to be better now.

Off resort you should look at playing Mid Pines, Pine Needles, Tobacco Road and the Dormie Club.

If you had more time I would have suggested Bandon but it is such a PITA to get to that you really need 5 full days at least or you will feel rushed.

Totally right, I just looked at flights and there are tons of options out of Newark for less than 200. and its an 1:40 flight, it gets me almost a full day of golf on my last day if I want it and like you said, I'm not tired as a dog. Didn't realize EWR to RDU is such a popular flight. Just have to add a rental car to the price, but that shouldn't be too bad

I turn 40 this year and I've been to Scotland three times and I've been Streamsong once.

All of my trips to Scotland have been for 4-5 days of golf at a time. Those trips included 36 holes a day, but anything less seems like it wouldn't be worth it. You would only be looking at 2.5-3 full days of golf.

I'm dying to get out to Bandon Dunes and have been reading a ton about it. From the east coast it almost seems like it takes longer to get there than it does to get to Scotland. It's weird though because I think three full days is the perfect amount of time there.

If you are looking at Streamsong, it is a great place for the amount of time you are looking. September seems like it could be a toss up based on the weather. If it is 90* then you are just gonna bake. The courses there are awesome though, accomodations and food are great, and it's easy to get to.

Cabot seems awesome. Would love to hear about it if you go.

I have not been to Pinehurst, but it has always been low on the priority list. Recently though I'm starting to rethink things. No. 2 sounds fun as a US Open course. No. 4 was just redone and I've heard good things. I love Mike Strantz designs so I know I would love to play Tobacco Road. I guess that the new age of design is built around courses being a bit more fun and I have always thought that this place would beat me up more than I wanted. So I want to play here, but it is still lower on the totem-pole.

I personally want you to go to Bandon Dunes but I can't wait to hear what you choose. Good luck!

1. Bandon

2. Cabot Links/cliffs

3. Pinehurst

4. Streamsong

5. Scotland

This times 100 given your time constraints. We aren't 20 anymore so the red-eye flights and 36+ holes per day will not allow your mind to soak in the experience.

I did my 35th this precise way and even convinced a decent golfing buddy to join me. Had a blast off-resort at Dormie (spectacular experience but was 6 years ago) and Mid-Pines and Pine Needles have so much history.

When on-resort at Pinehurst you'll just soak it all in and not have to travel far.

• TSi2 9*, G4 HZRDUS Black 60s
  • SIM2 Ti @ 17*, LinQ Purple 70S
  • TS2 21* + 24* HZRDUS Bl Smoke 80s
  • T100S 6-PW, TTDG S300
  • SM9 52* 56* 60* TTDG S300
  • White Hot OG 7 Bird 

so the wife just told me that I can go on a golf trip for my 40th birthday. Now I've got paralysis by analysis trying to figure out where to go. I'm on the East Coast (NJ) which might make a difference. I'm gonna have 4 full days, maybe 5 depending on travel times. I wanna have an immersive golf experience and play as much as possible. This isn't a "money is no object" kind of trip, but it doesn't need to be budget golf. There are a couple places I need to go play golf before I die, but I'm not sure if any of these places are doable in my 4-4.5 day time frame for this trip:

1. Bandon

2. Cabot Links/cliffs

3. Pinehurst

4. Streamsong

5. Scotland

Here's my question, am I missing a place, is there someplace totally under the radar that would be awesome. This would be mid-late september.

I'm not averse to plane travel, but it needs to not be a crazy kind of travel time. I think that Bandon, Cabot and Scotland would end up taking a full day out of my schedule and/or would be better served by having more time at the destination.

I'm at the complete beginning planning stages, so any ideas would be awesome.

I really don't want other stuff to do except for golf, so Vegas and places like that don't hold much appeal. If I could get to a place and not have to leave the property I would be a happy camper.

One option...kind of staying somewhat close to home...the Greenbrier...the other one that comes to mind up that way, Turning Stone in NY

Another option...RTJ Trail, Alabama (incredible golf value)

Finally...I saw this one earlier and second this choice...Lake Oconee GA (at least 5 top shelf courses there)...easy flight into ATL and you're there in about an hour and a half.

Considerably more expensive, but the golf is outstanding...Sea Island, GA.

The problem with Lake Reynolds is the hotels. Unless they've changed it recently, playing the courses requires one to stay on-site, and as a single, the rates are very high. I don't mind paying for golf, but paying $$$ for an expensive hotel room that I'll spend a few hours in sleeping eats at me.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

The problem with Lake Reynolds is the hotels. Unless they've changed it recently, playing the courses requires one to stay on-site, and as a single, the rates are very high. I don't mind paying for golf, but paying $$$ for an expensive hotel room that I'll spend a few hours in sleeping eats at me.

I hear on the hotel thing. I'd be heading to Streamsong in a couple of weeks if it weren't for the premium for being a single. RTJ Trail it is!

If you went to Scotland you wouldnt really lose any time based on your schedule. You would take an evening flight from NY Thursday and land early Friday am. Sleep on the plane and play all day Friday when u land. Then u have all day Saturday and Sunday and if you take the last available flight out Monday you will have time for 18 and you will land Monday PM (5h time change) and get to work Tuesday am. Less travel than driving to Pinehurst and much easier than Bandon assuming you can get to NY airports relatively easily. Take a look at Norwegian air they fly from Stewart NY direct to Edinburgh for cheap and the flight would leave Monday at around 400pm to go home.

IMO this is your best bet. As someone who also turns 40 this year happy birthday and good luck!

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Planned my 4oth 5 yrs ago and my wife loved it so much we have done many many golf trips since then. For me in September there are two bucketlist options.

1. Pinehurst I think most posters have done this credit. Great golf and compact, you will have time to breath a bit even with 36/day. You will enjoy this trip.

2. Wisconsin Weather is a bit of a crap shoot, but I would choose this 8 times out of ten over Pinehurst. Fly to Milwaukee drive to Sand Valley. Play 36, next day Erin Hills, Next day Whistling Straits and BWR River. Fly home. 3 bucket list destinations checked off in one trip.

In your short window Bandon and Scotland would be an exhausted slog IMO.

if you've got license to take a special trip for your 40th, you sure as hell shouldn't come to alabama ... if you can't take more than 5 days, then pinehurst is probably the only place ... streamsong is great, but you get an iconic course at PH, plus a very, very good one in #4, plus a couple others that are top notch, compared to 3 courses at ss that, while fabulous courses, do not approach the status of #2 PH or PH in general ... plus you have more time there ... could probably get in 3 courses in ireland/scotland, but they'd have to be near each other and an airport ... probably ballybunion, lahinch and a 3rd near shannon ... an extra day would really help you out there ...

if you've got license to take a special trip for your 40th, you sure as hell shouldn't come to alabama ... if you can't take more than 5 days, then pinehurst is probably the only place ... streamsong is great, but you get an iconic course at PH, plus a very, very good one in #4, plus a couple others that are top notch, compared to 3 courses at ss that, while fabulous courses, do not approach the status of #2 PH or PH in general ... plus you have more time there ... could probably get in 3 courses in ireland/scotland, but they'd have to be near each other and an airport ... probably ballybunion, lahinch and a 3rd near shannon ... an extra day would really help you out there ...

Easy for him to play 4 days of golf in Scotland on his schedule around Edinburgh or Glasgow. So many great options for courses. All the St Andrews area courses, Muirfield, N Berwick, Gullane, Carnoustie, Crail, Leven, Carnoustie, Troon, Prestwick, Turnberry and more all within 2h of Edinburgh Airport.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

If you went to Scotland you wouldnt really lose any time based on your schedule. You would take an evening flight from NY Thursday and land early Friday am. Sleep on the plane and play all day Friday when u land. Then u have all day Saturday and Sunday and if you take the last available flight out Monday you will have time for 18 and you will land Monday PM (5h time change) and get to work Tuesday am. Less travel than driving to Pinehurst and much easier than Bandon assuming you can get to NY airports relatively easily. Take a look at Norwegian air they fly from Stewart NY direct to Edinburgh for cheap and the flight would leave Monday at around 400pm to go home.

IMO this is your best bet. As someone who also turns 40 this year happy birthday and good luck!

I am going to have to seriously look at this. Thanks for the tip about the direct from Stewart to Edinburgh. Currently they don't have flights leaving on thursday, only friday, but they also don't have a longer schedule up. The prices were crazy cheap. If I can make this work in my schedule I might just have to do it.

One thing to remember about Scotland is that if you want to play the Old Course you will have to show up very early in the AM and wait for an opening since advance tee times are booked a year in advance.

How much of a disgrace would it be to go and stay at St. Andrews and NOT play the old course? I know it is the home of golf, and I would absolutely love to play it, but if I left without having gotten to play, but played my balls off at all the other courses in/around St. Andrews how disappointed would I be?