2019 HSBC Women's World Championship Feb 28 - Mar 03

Argonne69

InBee is most certainly doing InBee things. What a shame for Wiesy to WD. Evidently she was struggling mightily to play with the injury. What a setback after surgery and everything.

I know we keep saying it, but if Ariya can just figure out how to use a driver...it wouldn't even be a fair fight most of the time.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very tight at the top, well makes it easy when your pick to win is out of the tournament after one round (not injured, just at the bottom of the leaderboard). Maybe Brooke and So Yeon Ryu can find things to talk about and keep them interested during their round together, cause they both won't have to grind going for the win lol. I would say Brooke played terribly but when you are +4 on the Par 5's, you didn't play bad, you played stupid. lol So now I make the switch and will be pulling for YU Liu, I really like the look of her game and have always had a soft spot for the bombers :)

Lots of withdrawals from this one, although Michelle is the only one that seems to have an injury rather than illness. That's really too bad and it sounds like it's the wrist again. I wish her the best but not a good sign when the wrist keeps breakdown her.

Ariya is currently ranked 100th in driving accuracy, hitting only 66.5% of her fairways. Seriously, I don't see how she could do much worse with a driver. Heck, take a TaylorMade M5 driver, set the club face to open, slide the two weights out to the toe, and then add 10g of lead weight on the toe. It's not going to want to go left.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Ariya is currently ranked 100th in driving accuracy, hitting only 66.5% of her fairways. Seriously, I don't see how she could do much worse with a driver. Heck, take a TaylorMade M5 driver, set the club face to open, slide the two weights out to the toe, and then add 10g of lead weight on the toe. It's not going to want to go left.

It might not want to but would still be easy to miss left. A good player will feel the face hanging open and flip it shut.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

We don't know her shot dispersion with the driver, but I'm thinking it's gotta be really bad lol. Most likely a mental thing, that results in a self fulfilling prophecy, she thinks she can't hit it straight and she never does. If Ariya can get the Driver working, I say try the PGA, I'm pretty sure that gives her the length to compete with the boys .............. I'm betting she's longer than Jordan Speith lol

Yes, as long as they're not an Am, they'll get official money.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I have a general LPGA question. I know sponsor invites to not receive CME points but do they get official money? Guessing no????

Muni He was a sponsor invite at Honda LPGA Thailand last week; she earned $7,218 but her official money is still 0.

Sponsor invites earn official money on full field events with cuts, but not on no cut events.

We don't know her shot dispersion with the driver, but I'm thinking it's gotta be really bad lol. Most likely a mental thing, that results in a self fulfilling prophecy, she thinks she can't hit it straight and she never does. If Ariya can get the Driver working, I say try the PGA, I'm pretty sure that gives her the length to compete with the boys .............. I'm betting she's longer than Jordan Speith lol

Just aim way right and let it rip!

It really saddens me to see Michelle struggle with injury. She simply can't seem to catch a break.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

The few holes I saw yesterday Ariya was usually about equal with Minjee's driver (both were a bit behind SHP). I also watched the Ryu/Park/Lexi group a bit, and there were a few holes were Lexi was miles down past Ryu (who is similar to/probably a bit shorter than Minjee). If Ariya could play from where Lexi is driving it that would be crazy.

It really saddens me to see Michelle struggle with injury. She simply can't seem to catch a break.

Agree. I never really been a huge fan of hers but it's always good for the game when the "stars" (or in this case most popular) get hot. I was hoping she could have a good couple/few years stretch in what would likely be to close it out, but now just playing again at a decent level may be all we can ask for.

The few holes I saw yesterday Ariya was usually about equal with Minjee's driver (both were a bit behind SHP). I also watched the Ryu/Park/Lexi group a bit, and there were a few holes were Lexi was miles down past Ryu (who is similar to/probably a bit shorter than Minjee). If Ariya could play from where Lexi is driving it that would be crazy.

Yeah...on 18

SHPark 285

Ariya 265

MinJee 240ish (not sure what club MinJee hit but hole was long and had to be her driver.

Guess who made bogey???

All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fujikura Speeder 65
3-Wood : Callaway FT 15° Neutral Fujikura FitOn 160
3-Hybrid : Adams XTD Dry Proto 21° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
4-Hybrid : Adams XTD DHy Proto 24° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
5-PW : Adams XTD Forged Aldila RIP Tour SLT115
Wedges : Titleist Vokey SM4 52° & 258.08 58° TT Dynamic Gold
Putter : Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade

Yeah...on 18

SHPark 285

Ariya 265

MinJee 240ish (not sure what club MinJee hit but hole was long and had to be her driver.

Guess who made bogey??

I didn't see these tee shots and know SHP made bogey. Obviously you still need to play the rest of the hole but I'm pretty sure hitting 10-20 yards farther is an advantage for just about everyone of the course of a season.

The amount of speed SHP generates is impressive given how controlled her swing is. All are great players, but watching Lexi, Ariya, and Brooke swing are a bit different - their tempo and moves really make it look like they are going after it.

Oy veh. Anyone else notice that the broadcast had a picture of Mirim Lee in place of Minjee when they were showing the feature groups for the first round?

doesn't the LPGA have rules about shouting over 80? I recall Wie ended a round years ago with "injury" while en-route to a 80 plus score. Could this be a similar situation? pardon my ignorance

Not sure if the rule still applies, but I think rule is/was for non- members. If I recall correctly it was when Michelle wasn't a member yet.

And if I remember the rule correctly it states you can't get more sponsor exemption if you shoot over 80, cause plenty of LPGA pro's shot over 80 lol

Is there a specific reason why the LPGA re-groups players after round 1 vs having players play the opposite side of the draw for the first two rounds (PGA)?

At Sentosa, I'm sure the greens got marginally firmer as the day went on (typical) and the wind also seemed to kick up a bit.

Over the season, not sure if it really matters either way (at least most of time). There is always some luck in the weather and day to day conditions.

In limited field events with no cut they regroup. It makes for better TV in general with the leaders in the final groups.

'Interesting to see So Yeon take a practice swing in the penalty area on the 8th. That was a major rule change this year, and smart on her part. After failing to hack through the vegetation, she wisely choose a better option for her next shot.

Yeah, the over 80 rule applies to nonmembers only.

Did they ever say why Minjee got relief on the 9th hole? Her ball was close to some TV cables, but it didn't appear that they would interfere with her swing.

Also, she needs to be careful with her drops. That drop looked 3 to 4 inches above the knee. Better safe than sorry.

'Interesting to see So Yeon take a practice swing in the penalty area on the 8th. That was a major rule change this year, and smart on her part. After failing to hack through the vegetation, she wisely choose a better option for her next shot.

Can you only play a provisional for OB? I saw this shot and I was surprised they actually found it let alone any chance to play (weeds there are very thick).

It also seemed obvious that her ball crossed the hazard way back.

When they were all walking up, Lexi looked a little disturbed. I was thinking back to the drop (by Ryu) she questioned at the UL Crown last year. Lexi did go help look for the ball though....

Knee height is such an awkward level. Unless you have arms like Kevin Durant (ie can tie your shoes without bending over) it's just a funny motion - bend down and your knee starts moving down too. Seems like waste to theigh height would work much better, at least logistically. Know they want to eliminate the placements so maybe that would still cause an issue.

You can only hit a provisional for a ball that's OB, or possibly lost outside a penalty area. Thus, So Yeon had no choice but to look for the ball in the penalty area. She found it, but determined that trying to hit it out of the vegatation was going to be risky, so she selected the option of dropping within 2 club lengths from the point where it crossed into the penalty area. That point was way back from the green.

Looking at Minjee's drop, it was definitely too high. Her hand was above her hemline. That said, the rules official was watching the whole thing, so he must have thought it was good.

Looking at a closeup of her ball, I'm guessing she got relief from an embedded ball. It was sitting pretty low. With the new 2019 rules one can now take relief for balls in the general area, and not just balls embedded in closely mown areas.

I have no idea why anyone thinks knee height is difficult. If I asked you to stratch your knee, you'd just bend over and scratch it. I wear knee braces, and I'm forever pulling them up without contorting my body. Lol.

You can only hit a provisional for a ball that's OB, or possibly lost outside a penalty area. Thus, So Yeon had no choice but to look for the ball in the penalty area. She found it, but determined that trying to hit it out of the vegatation was going to be risky, so she selected the option of dropping within 2 club lengths from the point where it crossed into the penalty area. That point was way back from the green.

Looking at Minjee's drop, it was definitely too high. Her hand was above her hemline. That said, the rules official was watching the whole thing, so he must have thought it was good.

Looking at a closeup of get ball, I'm guessing she got relief from an embedded ball. It was sitting pretty low. With the new 2019 rules one can now take relief for balls in the general area, and not just balls embedded in closely mown areas.

No they said there was a fire ant nest under bush where her ball was, she got relief for that. After the drop spot was determine the official said she could leave her ball there but her caddie he'd grab it. I guess 10% of Minjee earnings is worth a couple fire ant bites lol

Knee height is such an awkward level. Unless you have arms like Kevin Durant (ie can tie your shoes without bending over) it's just a funny motion - bend down and your knee starts moving down too. Seems like waste to theigh height would work much better, at least logistically. Know they want to eliminate the placements so maybe that would still cause an issue.

Nope. I'm 67 years old with bad knees and have no problem whatsoever making a drop from knee height. And neither do the other guys I play with who are similar age.

Bottom line, if you can still tee your ball up without assistance, you can make this drop with zero difficulty.

Any professional golfer, male or female, who tries to act like this is difficult is simply making a total stupid a** fool of themselves.