2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

SLDR or Jetspeed or Aeroburner

Double Gee

Ok.

I've never owned a TaylorMade driver and certainly do not want to buy any driver, let alone TaylorMade, at such crap big prices.

I enjoy buying second hand or more budget priced new clubs that actually perform. My current Benross Evolution driver at £179 is a fun club to hit and with a senior flex shaft, it is up there as good as any I've tried.

That being said, I fancy a cheapie to hit over winter and spring to just 'remind' my gamer that it needs to perform ?

I've read some strong reviews on the SLDR-C model, not the SLDR and Jet & Aero.

Anyone tried a 3 who can help with which one would be most fun?

I'm 64, senior flex my drive ssr is mid 80s and drive well and straight, probably the best part of my game .

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aero>jet>sldr

Aero and jetspeed came stock longer than most. SLDR is great with high clubhead speed and consistently middling the driver face. I liked the stock shaft in aero vs jetspeed. I worked in golf retail fitting the masses when these all came out.

Brilliant Sammy. Nice insight.

Sadly in the UK I can't find the SLDR-C model but plenty of normal ones .

Regards to the Aeroburner, any ideas how the shaft plays? My go to shaft is a Recoil F2 or Kuro Kage A flex.

I remember reading a thread about adjusting a standard SLDR to make it super duper.

Can anyone give me the link as I've tried to search but can't find it.

Thanks

Garry

Not sure on the link but if you look up Bobcats posts you will find all you need to know about the SLDR. I still use one myself and i applied his fix but ended up fitting another weight to the toe side but then removing lead tape from further back on the toe side, which i think was his 3rd stage fix. Although it can still get out there, for your swing speed i would really look at the other 2 drivers you mention. They're both very competent. Look for something with enough loft and a shaft flex that can give you some help. Jetspeed and Aero will both be more forgiving than the SLDR.

just curious since it wasn't around that long, but did Jetspeed get much Tour adoption?

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Yeah. Bobcat posted a thread called the SLDR fix or something like that. As I recall, in essence, it entailed moving the sliding weight all the way to the toe. I think he said that made it much more forgiving, like the SLDR C.

EDIT -- here is it is. The info is in here:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580550-sldr-460-sldr-s-or-other/page__fromsearch__1

• 1 month later...

Yeah. Bobcat posted a thread called the SLDR fix or something like that. As I recall, in essence, it entailed moving the sliding weight all the way to the toe. I think he said that made it much more forgiving, like the SLDR C.

The full 'SLDR Fix" info can be found in Post #77 of the thread below. Complete instructions, with illustrations are included. Just click on the link below then scroll down to #77.

Note: Be aware that the 'SLDR Fix' applies only to the original 2013-2014 Retail SLDR's, (not applicable for the Tour-issued SLDR models). It applies to Retail 460, 430, and the 'S: models. The SLDR Fix is not applicable to the more forgiving SLDR-C model introduced by TaylorMade in 2015 which is an entirely different clubhead than the original SLDR Drivers.

SLDR Anonymous Meeting - Equipment - GolfWRX - Page 3

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

The 'SLDR Fix" info can be found in Post #77 of the thread below. Click below and scroll down to #77

SLDR Anonymous Meeting - Equipment - GolfWRX - Page 3

Makes me want to buy an sldr 430 head and slap one of my favorite shafts in it. Man...seduced by low spin long ball lol

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

The 'SLDR FIX' mentioned in the earlier post improves the original (2013-2014) SLDR Driver's forgiveness significantly! If done correctly, (per the instructions), you can eliminate those dreaded 'low snap hooks' that just seem to 'come out of nowhere' when using one of the original SLDR Drivers, even when you felt you made a good swing. There's a reason for that particular 'miss' with the SLDR Driver and it's due to an original SLDR 'flaw', that is easily fixable. You'll learn about the 'flaw' and how you can easily fix it, when reading the 'SLDR Fix' instructions.

:golfer:

Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts

Aeroburner was outrageously long and easy to hit. I just hated the look of it.

Taylormade Stealth 9* Driver | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 65g

Taylormade Stealth 15* 3 Wood | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 75g

Taylormade Stealth 19* 5 Wood | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 75g

Taylormade P790 UDI | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 90g

(Mizuno Fli-Hi 19* 3 iron | ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 90g)

Taylormade P770 Irons 4-PW | KBS Tour 120S
Taylormade HiToe Wedges 52* & 58* | KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 120S
Scotty Cameron 2014 Newport

Aeroburner is solid, it's in my backup bag and if my m2 cracked tomorrow I'd probably just play it for the next few months no problem. Jetspeed was a good driver but fell victim to the taylormade product cycle and hardly anyone played them for long. SLDR alternates between absolute bombs and drives 30 yds short of your average, don't play it unless you hit driver middle all day.

Since this is going to be a club to tinker with, I'd hunt for a Jetspeed on the bay, I bet one with a senior flex shaft would be absurdly cheap.

TM Stealth2 HZRDUS Black 6.0 60g

Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Black 80S

Ping G430 19* HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 80g

Srixon ZX7 4-PW C-Taper Lite 110s

Cleveland RTX 6 50,56,60

Ping PLD Oslo 4

The standard AeroBurner sets up a bit closed, has a long shallow face and a flattened head compared to D shaped Taylormades like the SLDR, R15, etc. It's a long and easy to hit driver, but the head is really light which is combined with a too long 45.75" shaft. They come in both a 12° and a HL version, I'd checked them both out and cut the shaft down a bit. Lots of these around, so a definite first choice.

The JetSpeed aesthetics did not click for many and was a huge bust for TM after the highly successful RBZ campaign. Besides, the new SLDR looked awesome and no one wanted a half-baked looking Jetspeed. It was an OK driver, but I'd take a pass on this one.

The SLDR C has little to do with the original SLDR driver. The C looks like a blown up SLDR S Mini with the Cs sole plate coming directly off the Mini. The 12° might work out perfect for you, it launches the ball easy and high. Not sure why we keep discussing these as the production was limited and and they are not easy to find. You're better off with the more recent price point offerings like the AeroBurner Black and the RBZ Black. The RBZ Black looks to have a modified SLDR C Sole plate and could be an SLDR C in all black guise.

I'm also in the aeroburner>jet speed>SLDR camo. I buy a ton of drivers because I'm basically stupid, and the aeroburner is among the best in the past ten years IMO. Are you set on Taylormade? If not, I'd also check out the Ping G25 in that same price range on the used market. GREAT driver.

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

I'm also in the aeroburner>jet speed>SLDR camp. I buy a ton of drivers because I'm basically stupid, and the aeroburner is among the best in the past ten years IMO. Are you set on Taylormade? If not, I'd also check out the Ping G25 in that same price range on the used market. GREAT driver.

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

The standard AeroBurner sets up a bit closed, has a long shallow face and a flattened head compared to D shaped Taylormades like the SLDR, R15, etc. It's a long and easy to hit driver, but the head is really light which is combined with a too long 45.75" shaft. They come in both a 12° and a HL version, I'd checked them both out and cut the shaft down a bit. Lots of these around, so a definite first choice.

The JetSpeed aesthetics did not click for many and was a huge bust for TM after the highly successful RBZ campaign. Besides, the new SLDR looked awesome and no one wanted a half-baked looking Jetspeed. It was an OK driver, but I'd take a pass on this one.

The SLDR C has little to do with the original SLDR driver. The C looks like a blown up SLDR S Mini with the Cs sole plate coming directly off the Mini. The 12° might work out perfect for you, it launches the ball easy and high. Not sure why we keep discussing these as the production was limited and and they are not easy to find. You're better off with the more recent price point offerings like the AeroBurner Black and the RBZ Black. The RBZ Black looks to have a modified SLDR C Sole plate and could be an SLDR C in all black guise.

IMO, the 2015 SLDR-C is the best of all the drivers mentioned by the OP, but as mootrail says, it's become rather difficult to find one of thsoe now, especially in the highly-desirable 9.5* loft. People owning those tend to hang on to them.

IMO, the 2015 SLDR-C is the best of all the drivers mentioned by the OP, but as mootrail says, it's become rather difficult to find one now, especially in the very desirable 9.5* loft. Those that own one don't wish to part with it.

Here's 10 of them, (although looks like none of them come with the "highly desirable" head cover):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=taylormade+sldr+c+driver&_sacat=0&rt=nc&Loft=9%252E5&_dcat=115280

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Here's 10 of them, (although looks like none of them come with the "highly desirable" head cover):

https://www.ebay.com...E5&_dcat=115280

Those appear to be 'Demo clubs' from a single seller.

The SLDR C has little to do with the original SLDR driver, it's an entirely different clubhead. The C looks like a blown up SLDR S Mini Driver with the Cs sole plate coming directly from the Mini. The 12° might work out perfect for you, it launches the ball easy and high. Not sure why we keep discussing these as the production was limited and and they are not easy to find. You're better off with the more recent price point offerings like the AeroBurner Black and the RBZ Black. The RBZ Black looks to have a modified SLDR C Sole plate and could be an SLDR C in all black guise.

You are correct that finding a (2015) SLDR-C Driver in 'new or mint condition'' is difficult now, but IMO, it's easily the best of the drivers mentioned by the OP, (especially with 9.5* Loft and Stiff Flex shaft). It was the last of the TM 'classic gloss black' Titanium Drivers, and was actually introduced after the R15, but before the first M-Series (multi-material) Drivers were announced.

You can still find these in 'used condition' on ebay, but 'Buyer Beware', for those that were previously 'demo clubs'.

The SLDR C has little to do with the original SLDR driver, it's an entirely different clubhead. The C looks like a blown up SLDR S Mini with the Cs sole plate coming directly off the Mini. The 12° might work out perfect for you, it launches the ball easy and high. Not sure why we keep discussing these as the production was limited and and they are not easy to find. You're better off with the more recent price point offerings like the AeroBurner Black and the RBZ Black. The RBZ Black looks to have a modified SLDR C Sole plate and could be an SLDR C in all black guise.

'

Finding a (2015) SLDR-C Driver in 'new or mint condition'' can be rather difficult now, but IMO, it is the best driver mentioned by the OP, (especially in the 9.5* loft and Stiff Flex).

However, that said, you can still find them in 'used condition' on ebay, but 'Buyer Beware', for any that were previously used as 'demo clubs'.

I thought this one looked pretty Minty, actually almost bought it myself on a whim, but that $12.90 shipping has me debating.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TAYLORMADE-SLDR-C-DRIVER-9-5-DEGREE-LOFT-STIFF-FLEX-RIGHT-HANDED-GOLF-CLUB/352605591711?epid=809538553&hash=item5218ee589f:g:9zYAAOSw8VNcb2On:sc:USPSPriority!44313!US!-1:rk:3:pf:0

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank