Best fit for Golf Course Community for our family

Hudidad

Hey all! Our family is into golf, and we are moving to TX. I grew up in the Midwest and our family has lived in the Southeast and Midwest before we moved several years ago to CA for work.

I was hoping you all could help suggest some golf course communities that might help fit our wish list somewhat based on all your experience. For work I only have to be close to an airport, but we honestly have narrowed the search to either DFW or perhaps Cordillera Ranch just north of San Antonio. For a variety of reasons we really aren’t considering Houston or Austin areas at this time.

Thanks VERY much in advance - here is our wish list, as it were. We definitely recognize there are trade offs.

- An hour or so from an airport (SAT or DFW/Love).

- Somewhat larger lots. Would prefer .5 acre or more, if possible.

- Smaller town. I’m sick to death of SoCal traffic, so we really won’t want to be smack in the middle of Dallas/Ft. Worth traffic and congestion.

- Good Golf Course with decent practice facilities. I don’t really want to spend more than $65k on initiation, which I know takes some courses out of consideration. Less cost is better obviously. People in Texas have generally been super friendly and authentic in my experience, and that’s super appealing. Too many people in SoCal trying to impress everybody else. So a club that isn’t super pretentious would be awesome.

- Property tax rate. Though financial isn’t nearly the only motivation for us to move, I do want to be sure we aren’t someplace much above 2.3%. Lower is better lol.

Currently the following are on our list to consider. We have been to Cordillera Ranch and it’s still super high on our list. Going again next weekend to visit places around DFW.

- Cordillera Ranch in Boerne

- Gentle Creek Estates in Prosper

- Lantana Golf Club in Argyle

- Denton Country Club

- Stonebriar Country Club in Frisco

What do you guys think about each of these? Where else should we visit or consider?? What is the community and membership like? I would be super grateful for any input you all have, and THANK YOU!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golf club is most important, ideally inside the community. Important to us tho it’s not an old money club, but also prefer it’s not a Club Corp club as well with a ton of outside tournaments and players if possible.

Don't know if it is considered an old money club or not but Denton Country Club opened in 1922.

Stonebriar CC is a Club Corp course and opened in 1988. From what I hear, it has a ton of members.

Lantana and Gentle Creek are Golf Clubs and both opened in 2002.

I have played Stonebriar and Gentle Creek and I like Stonebriar but I love Gentle Creek. Extremely fun course. Have not played the other two.

Another poster mentioned Castle Hills and I have heard lots of good things about it.

.... but also prefer it’s not a Club Corp club as well with a ton of outside tournaments and players if possible.

That will eliminate Stonebriar. Over 900 golf members and they share the Fazio course with the Westin which loads it up with outside tournaments.

Argyle and Prosper are both good options.

Might look at Old American. Great course (they even play an LPGA event there), very inexpensive, small membership base, nice houses and on the lake. Definitely more of a golf club than country club.

Thanks guys! So it sounds like Stonebriar is out. Thanks for the input about Gentle Creek - sounds like an interesting course! We will be in town next weekend so we will check out that one and Lantana probably.

What would you guys say is the average age at the clubs I listed? I belong to one now where the average age is around retiree, and while a good golf course it’s not quite the same demographic as my wife and I.

My uncle lives in Cordillera. Flat out amazing golf course and gorgeous area. Clubhouse is amazing, and you might just hang out with George Strait (regular golfer) or Jimmy Walker. I have no clue about initiation or annual dues, but I would imagine they are stiff.

One of my favorite courses ever.

Thanks for the confirmation! Do you have any opinion about the membership there? Would you say it’s fairly unpretentious? We toured the facility a couple weeks ago but it’s hard to get a feel for the membership on a brief visit.

Cordillera is in a different ballpark than those other places. Also a very challenging golf course.

If you are wanting a great club with incredible practice facilities I’d check out Mira Vista in Fort Worth. Fun track and it’s new Fort Worth money for the most part. Also, Fort Worth is one of the best cities on the planet. There are quite a few tour guys that play out there or used to play out there. Last I heard initiation was in the 20k range but they run membership drives from time to time.

My opinion, Lantana is a great course, but not sure you would find a .5 acre lot there. Not digging into your personal information, but a lot is missing, like price of home you want to be in and live around. Is resale value of importance? If so, many on your list will be out. Also, it seems you have kids. Is the strength of schools a factor for you? If so, by what parameters? Are teachers, test scores, top sports teams, or all important? Lastly, are you looking for an equity club?

Sorry if it sounds bad, I just think there is a lot of missing information and you may get bad advise without fully understanding all of the above.

Even though Club Corp just took it over, maybe it would be worth throwing in TPC Craig Ranch. I doubt they will let this course go down hill. This is a major acquisition for them and a chance to display a signature type course. I know before Club Corp, initiation was around $35k, and due around $750/month. I would assume it would stay the same, since that pricing aligns perfectly with initiation and monthly dues for tier 1 club corp courses. Also most Tier 1 CC courses have lower membership and less tournaments. Not selling CC, I actually don't like their business model, but its an option. FWIW, Craig Ranch has been consistently ranked top courses to see PGA Pros.

My opinion, Lantana is a great course, but not sure you would find a .5 acre lot there. Not digging into your personal information, but a lot is missing, like price of home you want to be in and live around. Is resale value of importance? If so, many on your list will be out. Also, it seems you have kids. Is the strength of schools a factor for you? If so, by what parameters? Are teachers, test scores, top sports teams, or all important? Lastly, are you looking for an equity club?

Sorry if it sounds bad, I just think there is a lot of missing information and you may get bad advise without fully understanding all of the above.

Thanks much for the reply, happy to give some thoughts if it helps you give advice! I appreciate you taking the time actually.

I think for price of home we'd like to be under $1MM if possible. Of course part of that depends on the property tax rate in the area, but that's kind of a guideline.

Although we're not looking to move again soon, I think resale is always a key consideration. I'd really appreciate any insights there you have about trends or what may be problematic or an opportunity.

On the kid front, we have one in high school, so while it's a consideration we could also look at private schools or other options for his next couple of years until college. Often school ratings tie to resale, so it's always a consideration on that front at least.

On the equity vs non-equity question, I think it depends more on the club itself than what category it fits in. I've seen equity clubs run poorly and with tons of assessments, and non-equity clubs that still offer a partial refund on initiation fees and are run well. Sure appreciate any thoughts on how the clubs are run in your experience.

Thanks for the heads up about Craig Ranch. We hadn't considered it for the reasons you mentioned but I'll look into it!

Hope this info helps - let me know if you have any thoughts!

In the DFW area, Gentle Creek is a fantastic course. Lot of options to have a large house on larger lots. Well within your price range from an initiation standpoint as well. A few months ago, i would've also included TPC Craig Ranch, but they were acquired by ClubCorp. TBD on how that goes. You may also look at the 4 Seasons Club in Irving. Two courses, use of the resort facilities. Very large homes on the course, private carts allowed. VERY close to airport.

I know before Club Corp, initiation was around $35k, and due around $750/month. I would assume it would stay the same, since that pricing aligns perfectly with initiation and monthly dues for tier 1 club corp courses. Also most Tier 1 CC courses have lower membership and less tournaments.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I can guarantee your dues at Craig Ranch are going up as well as the membership base. Just ask members at Stonebriar or Glen Eagles, the two premier Club Corp courses in DFW. Stonebriar is at 900+ members and 35k/$865 + tax for dues. There is a dues increase EVERY year, we got 5% in 2019. Glen Eagles is 1300+ members and similar dues/initiation. Both courses also host a great number of tournaments. Right now Club Corp doesn't want to ruffle the Craig Ranch membership base but that will change in a year or so. Craig Ranch is an awesome course, it's just a shame what has happened with the acquisition. Club Corp has two primary objectives - Increase the number of members and increase revenue per member.

Thanks much for the reply, happy to give some thoughts if it helps you give advice! I appreciate you taking the time actually.

I think for price of home we'd like to be under $1MM if possible. Of course part of that depends on the property tax rate in the area, but that's kind of a guideline.

Although we're not looking to move again soon, I think resale is always a key consideration. I'd really appreciate any insights there you have about trends or what may be problematic or an opportunity.

On the kid front, we have one in high school, so while it's a consideration we could also look at private schools or other options for his next couple of years until college. Often school ratings tie to resale, so it's always a consideration on that front at least.

On the equity vs non-equity question, I think it depends more on the club itself than what category it fits in. I've seen equity clubs run poorly and with tons of assessments, and non-equity clubs that still offer a partial refund on initiation fees and are run well. Sure appreciate any thoughts on how the clubs are run in your experience.

Thanks for the heads up about Craig Ranch. We hadn't considered it for the reasons you mentioned but I'll look into it!

Hope this info helps - let me know if you have any thoughts!

No worries. In that price range you will naturally be on a larger lot due to the increased footprint of the home. However, as I am sure you know, that does not always equate to backyard space.

- Cordillera Ranch in Boerne : Cannot comment because it is out of my area.

- Gentle Creek Estates in Prosper - Nice course and community, but a hugeeeeeeeeee hike to any airport. Good luck if you have an 8am flight, plan on leaving at 5am to be an hour early to the terminal. I decided to not go north due to out of town visitors, family, etc. I would hate driving 1.5hrs in each direction to just pick someone up. Uber? Sure, pay $75-80 each way. Plus its not nice to ask guests who spent 2.5 hours on a plane to sit in a car for another 1.5 hrs to get to your house. Schools are okay. No one buzzes about them, so resale would be directly tied to the health and welfare of the course. Do you trust the course that much?

- Lantana

Golf Club

in Argyle - Good course, but not high-end amenities. Members are very nice, mostly, but expected at ANY cc. Cheap initiation and monthly dues. Homes in the area continue to rise (slightly), but watch out for taxes! The rate includes a PUD/PID/MUD tax. Schools are part of the Lewisville school system. I wont badmouth any school district, but do your homework - not strong.

- Denton Country

Club - Denton as a whole is known/billed/perceived as a lower household income area. However, there is plenty of wealth, just how it is perceived. Tax rate is extremely low and so are home prices compared to the rest of DFW. Schools again I would research - not strong.

- Stonebriar Country

Club

in Frisco - Frisco is hot right now. PGA of America is moving headquarters there ($550M investment). Many major sports corporations are calling it home now (Cowboys, etc). Schools are not bad but certainly no where near the strongest in DFW. People seem to be moving there a lot, so real estate has increased in value there. However, good luck with traffic. Anything North Dallas, get your brake and gas pedal ready. I know traffic, having moved here from NY over 3 years ago. I can easily say anything North Dallas is a nightmare similar to NY and CA. Also, the Club Corp business model is more about food/beverage than golf, and the clubs show that. Big money invested in everything but golf. Full disclosure, I play every Sunday with a buddy who has membership at a Tier 1. My muni in Grapevine has just as good if not better conditions, honestly. The membership numbers are high, but we don't have issues getting 8-9am tee times on the weekends, fwiw.

Having lived in NY where cc communities come at a major premium, and member expectations of the courses are very high, DFW is a disappointment in that area. We/I absolutely love it here and will call this permanent home. However, call a spade a spade. DFW does not do golf course communities well. Either the community is outrageous, and so is golf, but the schools are weak. Or, the community is great, golf stinks, and schools are mediocre.

The only community that I would say hits all three, good golf, good schools, and nice homes in that range is Timmaron in Southlake. However, do a bit of research on that as well. They have their own challenges, oh and the cc is a Club Corp course, lol. Welcome to DFW, the headquarters for Club Corp. They have a big foot print and are looking to grow. They will eventually own all of DFW.

I know before Club Corp, initiation was around $35k, and due around $750/month. I would assume it would stay the same, since that pricing aligns perfectly with initiation and monthly dues for tier 1 club corp courses. Also most Tier 1 CC courses have lower membership and less tournaments.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I can guarantee your dues at Craig Ranch are going up as well as the membership base. Just ask members at Stonebriar or Glen Eagles, the two premier Club Corp courses in DFW. Stonebriar is at 900+ members and 35k/$865 + tax for dues. There is a dues increase EVERY year, we got 5% in 2019. Glen Eagles is 1300+ members and similar dues/initiation. Both courses also host a great number of tournaments. Right now Club Corp doesn't want to ruffle the Craig Ranch membership base but that will change in a year or so. Craig Ranch is an awesome course, it's just a shame what has happened with the acquisition. Club Corp has two primary objectives - Increase the number of members and increase revenue per member.

I can see that happening, but doubt it will. I looked at the club a year ago, and have been hounded with phone calls to join ever since. They were desperate for members, and even offered membership with obnoxiously low initiation. I didn't bite because I knew why and where it was going, downhill. However, the upkeep is great. I just don't see people knocking down the door to get in there. I think it will be even worse with Club Corp as owners because of their bad reputation. Stonebriar is unique because of its location, and why it also has attracted more members. But, beware of social member numbers skewing the 900 you stated. However, you are spot on with tournament play. They will have many there, because CC does that very well.

I still think value, community, and what the OP was asking, it's the best option. If I had a choice in DFW, it would be my gamble. Even with a slight downhill slide, I think it will tick a lot of the boxes.

My uncle lives in Cordillera. Flat out amazing golf course and gorgeous area. Clubhouse is amazing, and you might just hang out with George Strait (regular golfer) or Jimmy Walker. I have no clue about initiation or annual dues, but I would imagine they are stiff.

One of my favorite courses ever.

Thanks for the confirmation! Do you have any opinion about the membership there? Would you say it’s fairly unpretentious? We toured the facility a couple weeks ago but it’s hard to get a feel for the membership on a brief visit.

To be perfectly honest I've only played there I think 3 or 4 times. The times that I did go, it did seem pretty laid back for a super pricey club. After one round we were hanging out in one of the men's 19th hole bar/grill area, it was a lot smaller and more intimate than I would've thought it was. Pretty soon George Strait and his foursome walk in and sit down next to us. They were giving him hell about his game, and it was pretty laid back.

However, that's about the extent of my interaction with membership there. It didn't seem overly pretentious.

Hey all! Our family is into golf, and we are moving to TX. I grew up in the Midwest and our family has lived in the Southeast and Midwest before we moved several years ago to CA for work.

I was hoping you all could help suggest some golf course communities that might help fit our wish list somewhat based on all your experience. For work I only have to be close to an airport, but we honestly have narrowed the search to either DFW or perhaps Cordillera Ranch just north of San Antonio. For a variety of reasons we really aren’t considering Houston or Austin areas at this time.

Thanks VERY much in advance - here is our wish list, as it were. We definitely recognize there are trade offs.

- An hour or so from an airport (SAT or DFW/Love).

- Somewhat larger lots. Would prefer .5 acre or more, if possible.

- Smaller town. I’m sick to death of SoCal traffic, so we really won’t want to be smack in the middle of Dallas/Ft. Worth traffic and congestion.

- Good Golf Course with decent practice facilities. I don’t really want to spend more than $65k on initiation, which I know takes some courses out of consideration. Less cost is better obviously. People in Texas have generally been super friendly and authentic in my experience, and that’s super appealing. Too many people in SoCal trying to impress everybody else. So a club that isn’t super pretentious would be awesome.

- Property tax rate. Though financial isn’t nearly the only motivation for us to move, I do want to be sure we aren’t someplace much above 2.3%. Lower is better lol.

Currently the following are on our list to consider. We have been to Cordillera Ranch and it’s still super high on our list. Going again next weekend to visit places around DFW.

- Cordillera Ranch in Boerne

- Gentle Creek Estates in Prosper

- Lantana Golf Club in Argyle

- Denton Country Club

- Stonebriar Country Club in Frisco

What do you guys think about each of these? Where else should we visit or consider?? What is the community and membership like? I would be super grateful for any input you all have, and THANK YOU!

I was a member at Cordillera Ranch for 9 years before transferring to Scottsdale. It is a sensational country club with a fantastic golf course, tennis courts, skeet range and horse facilities. There is a tremendous amount of activities offered and very family friendly. Boenre is the nearest town and it is beautiful, small town with year round activities. You are also near all the major medical, shopping and entertainment venues San Antonio offers. If you would like more information, I would be happy to talk to you via phone. Jim Just leave your cell number at 210-399-5732.

• 1 month later...

Too bad you ruled out Houston. Where I live would be ideal. Gated golf course community, custom built homes, lots from 1/2 acre up to multiple acres. Privately owned country club with a sound business plan (you must be at least a social member of the club to live in the community). Golf/tennis/fitness/great food in club/men's grill/pool. Not a fancy club but very affordable and friendly. You can own your own golf cart. Small community (well it keeps growing so not sure how long that will last). Quiet, out in the country. About hour drive to both IAH and Hobby.