Grandpa Syndrome

My boy played soccer. It was interesting. He grew tired of the team sport dynamic...where the coach's kid gets to try to score a goal over and over. After a season and a half of begging the coach (I didn't get involved) the coach put my son at forward. 20 seconds in...goal! Then, back to fullback for another couple weeks. Then, begging, 20 to 30 seconds on offence and...GOAL! My son inherited the sprinter gene in our family. Fast kid, just flew past the opponents. He'd get a pass and all our parents would jump up and say, "There he goes!"

He stood there, 11 years old, in front of the other parents at a practice and said, "I've decided to retire from soccer to focus on golf." It was cute. The problem with kids sports is the parents...

I hope I get to be a sports grandpa...

This is awesome.

The happiest day of my parenting career is when my kid decided he didn't want to play baseball anymore. I was tired of being around the other parents who wanted Johnny to play baseball year round. They were doing it for coach pitch so their kid could earn a scholarship at 18. I still laugh about it. Now they are playing travel tee ball in Florida. It blows my mind. The entire dynamic of travel baseball has ruined all of youth sports. Too many people trying to make a dime off of kids and sports in general. It honestly makes me sick.

I taught and coached basketball in an inner city school in Orlando 25 years ago. Had 4 kids from my team get involved with an AAU coach. He had asked them for $500.00 each to go to a tournament. I told the kids and their parents to watch out from this guy because he was a crook. Sure enough, they all payed the $500.00 and the coach never showed up to pick them up. These were kids that couldn't afford the $500.00. The guy left town and no one ever heard from him again.

OMG...who could do that to kids? Terrible.

The parental behavior a youth soccer games was terrible. Terrible. Had a guy try to start a fight with me right in front of his wife and poor kid. I just shook my head and walked in disbelief...

I played pop warner football when little. Now, a friend of mind who's coaching peewee football has to break up fist fights between parents (even from the same team) almost every game.

Watch Idiocracy...(you're welcome in advance)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They’re trying to make my grandkids into soccer or hockey players. I don’t know anything about those sports. They’re going to take away my “Grandpa Moment”opportunities!��

Hockey looks like a fun sport to play. Growing up in the 80's in south Florida it wasn't something I had the opportunity to try. Kids now in metropolitan areas of Florida can play. Wish I knew more about the game.

Soccer is as fun as watching paint dry. My daughter was 5 and came home from preschool. She told us at the dinner table that she wanted to play a sport. My wife, without blinking and eye, said "I can tell you one sport your not playing and that is soccer." Made me fall in love with her all over again. We gave her a list of sports to play and she picked tennis. She took lessons for a couple of years until she decided she was going to be a dancer.

not to mention womens soccer is one of the leading sports for concussions.

It is also high on torn ACL’s for women.

I’ve posted this on here before, but it still seems pertinent. My daughter in law played D1 soccer. My son was a D2 linebacker. She has many more physical issues resulting from the college athletics thian he does.

Why do I feel this is Nth time we are having the same discussion on the forum. I think everyone should just agree to disagree on this topic.

Winning at a young age helps but does not guarantee success.

It runs in six month cycles. We'll be talking about it again in August.

Why wait 6 months? Just looked at the the Rolex rankings and top 3 males either won UKSG worlds or did well several years at 12u. I’m sure if I took the time to research the top 100, the majority will have had success at 12u at the USKG level, winning local/regional tourneys (not only USKG) and going to world’s. Since the Rolex rankings is a strong indicator on getting an offer at top D1, the correlation of success at 12u and playing major D1 seems to be strong.

At the pro level - time will tell. USKG hasn’t been around long enough for an accurate sample set. I would say the next 10-15 years will be telling if there’s a correlation between 12u success and the pro level. Obviously, that correlation isn’t going to be as strong as playing D1 bc kids give verbals at 15-16, so the age gap is much smaller between 12u success and college commits/signings.

So I still believe success at 12u matters. Whether it’s experience or confidence, it matters. Yes, post-puberty matters more on what you will do with that opportunity, but you can’t deny the correlation if your aspirations are having an OPPORTUNITY to play D1 golf.

I’m sure we’re going to head down the road that playing for a non power 5/65 is more beneficial or opportunities at top DII is better; better yet, all the examples of the players that played well and never even qualified for world’s (USKG or IMG (Rory, els, Tiger, Day, Finau, Phil...) yada-yada-yada...

But really, isn’t the barometer for most on this forum D1 golf at a high level?

Why do I feel this is Nth time we are having the same discussion on the forum. I think everyone should just agree to disagree on this topic.

Why wait 6 months? Just looked at the the Rolex rankings and top 3 males either won UKSG worlds or did well several years at 12u. I'm sure if I took the time to research the top 100, the majority will have had success at 12u at the USKG level, winning local/regional tourneys (not only USKG) and going to world's. Since the Rolex rankings is a strong indicator on getting an offer at top D1, the correlation of success at 12u and playing major D1 seems to be strong.

At the pro level - time will tell. USKG hasn't been around long enough for an accurate sample set. I would say the next 10-15 years will be telling if there's a correlation between 12u success and the pro level. Obviously, that correlation isn't going to be as strong as playing D1 bc kids give verbals at 15-16, so the age gap is much smaller between 12u success and college commits/signings.

So I still believe success at 12u matters. Whether it's experience or confidence, it matters. Yes, post-puberty matters more on what you will do with that opportunity, but you can't deny the correlation if your aspirations are having an OPPORTUNITY to play D1 golf.

I'm sure we're going to head down the road that playing for a non power 5/65 is more beneficial or opportunities at top DII is better; better yet, all the examples of the players that played well and never even qualified for world's (USKG or IMG (Rory, els, Tiger, Day, Finau, Phil...) yada-yada-yada...

But really, isn't the barometer for most on this forum D1 golf at a high level?

Tiger won IMG Worlds a bunch of times..

http://www.juniorworldgolf.com/node/13408?pg=1984

http://www.juniorworldgolf.com/node/13408?pg=1985

http://www.juniorworldgolf.com/node/13408?pg=1988

http://www.juniorworldgolf.com/node/13408?pg=1989

http://www.juniorworldgolf.com/node/13408?pg=1990

http://www.juniorworldgolf.com/node/13408?pg=1991

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Stop beating a dead horse. Winning tournaments under 13 means nothing. Above 13 is what matters and always will. You can miss greens have a bad swing and you will still do well and win kiddie tournaments. Lots of parents dream dies when their kids turn 13. At that age it starts to be obvious who can really hit and who can’t

Winning on short easy kiddie courses is a different skill set set then real courses that need real skills. Like anything playing at a young age helps but that is about all you can say about it.

If anyone says they can predict success from looking at younger kids there just giving a line of BS.

Stop beating a dead horse. Winning tournaments under 13 means nothing. Above 13 is what matters and always will. You can miss greens have a bad swing and you will still do well and win kiddie tournaments. Lots of parents dream dies when their kids turn 13. At that age it starts to be obvious who can really hit and who can’t

Winning on short easy kiddie courses is a different skill set set then real courses that need real skills. Like anything playing at a young age helps but that is about all you can say about it.

If anyone says they can predict success from looking at younger kids there just giving a line of BS.

Do you know the difference between predictive success and correlation? I think the argument is around whether there is a correlation, hence, whether it matters.

I think Rolex rankings is a pretty good data point on this. What’s your data against the correlation?

Why wait 6 months? Just looked at the the Rolex rankings and top 3 males either won UKSG worlds or did well several years at 12u. I'm sure if I took the time to research the top 100, the majority will have had success at 12u at the USKG level, winning local/regional tourneys (not only USKG) and going to world's. Since the Rolex rankings is a strong indicator on getting an offer at top D1, the correlation of success at 12u and playing major D1 seems to be strong.

At the pro level - time will tell. USKG hasn't been around long enough for an accurate sample set. I would say the next 10-15 years will be telling if there's a correlation between 12u success and the pro level. Obviously, that correlation isn't going to be as strong as playing D1 bc kids give verbals at 15-16, so the age gap is much smaller between 12u success and college commits/signings.

So I still believe success at 12u matters. Whether it's experience or confidence, it matters. Yes, post-puberty matters more on what you will do with that opportunity, but you can't deny the correlation if your aspirations are having an OPPORTUNITY to play D1 golf.

I'm sure we're going to head down the road that playing for a non power 5/65 is more beneficial or opportunities at top DII is better; better yet, all the examples of the players that played well and never even qualified for world's (USKG or IMG (Rory, els, Tiger, Day, Finau, Phil...) yada-yada-yada...

But really, isn't the barometer for most on this forum D1 golf at a high level?

Tiger won IMG Worlds a bunch of times..

http://www.juniorworldgolf.com/node/13408?pg=1984

http://www.juniorworldgolf.com/node/13408?pg=1985

http://www.juniorworldgolf.com/node/13408?pg=1988

http://www.juniorworldgolf.com/node/13408?pg=1989

http://www.juniorworldgolf.com/node/13408?pg=1990

http://www.juniorworldgolf.com/node/13408?pg=1991

Yes, the aforementioned players all played IMG - was saying that you can’t just use USKG.

Do you know the difference between predictive success and correlation? I think the argument is around whether there is a correlation, hence, whether it matters.

I think Rolex rankings is a pretty good data point on this. What’s your data against the correlation?.

There is no such thing as predictive success. It been tried for generations and you know what no one has ever been correct.

You can read stats or interpert data all you want but there is no way to read what kid desires or work ethic will be when their 18 or 20. You can hope but a lot kids burn out lose interest and don’t care anymore. If there a way to guarantee success don’t you think with all the money in sports that someone wouldn’t have found a way to profit off it.

Want to know who going to turn pro look at the college and amature ranking those at the top usually do. How they get there though is unique for every player.

They’re trying to make my grandkids into soccer or hockey players. I don’t know anything about those sports. They’re going to take away my “Grandpa Moment”opportunities!��

Hockey looks like a fun sport to play. Growing up in the 80's in south Florida it wasn't something I had the opportunity to try. Kids now in metropolitan areas of Florida can play. Wish I knew more about the game.

Soccer is as fun as watching paint dry. My daughter was 5 and came home from preschool. She told us at the dinner table that she wanted to play a sport. My wife, without blinking and eye, said "I can tell you one sport your not playing and that is soccer." Made me fall in love with her all over again. We gave her a list of sports to play and she picked tennis. She took lessons for a couple of years until she decided she was going to be a dancer.

not to mention womens soccer is one of the leading sports for concussions.

It is also high on torn ACL’s for women.

I’ve posted this on here before, but it still seems pertinent. My daughter in law played D1 soccer. My son was a D2 linebacker. She has many more physical issues resulting from the college athletics thian he does.

I was a D2 fullback. That's why I walk like Fred Sanford now...

Why is it the Sanford and Son's theme song is now resonating in my head? Won't get rid of this tune for several hours now. Thanks.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Why is it the Sanford and Son's theme song is now resonating in my head? Won't get rid of this tune for several hours now. Thanks.

Haha!!! You're welcome. Great theme song. By the way I love, love, love that avatar! I'm going to drop that way from now on...

I don't want to derail the thread, but after 40 years in these sports, I think I can help you be a more active fan and by proxy, others in a similar situation for these two sports.

Hockey: First off, no one can really hear you except the other parents, the rink is loud with sticks, pucks, skates, etc. so know that. Many parents stick with these basics, but you can expand as you see fit and each can then be yelled louder with the annoying question tone for emphasis when there is no change. "Hit 'em!" "Step up!" "Don't watch the puck!" "Skate!" "Clear out the front!" "Keep your legs moving!"

Now hockey is notorious for parent fights, if this is more your thing, always lead with the players number and always direct it at the kid on the opposing team. If the kid's number is 15, it should always be "One five," so make sure each of these is preceded by their number. "Watch the elbows!" "Did your dad teach you that?" "Keep the stick down!" "Scoreboard! (good after a little chirpfest between players)" Generally the fight will be between yourself and the over-enthusiastic parent/grandparent of onefive.

To the refs, there isn't much you can say except, "Watch the cheap shots!" "He's getting mugged in front of the net!" "That was offside!"

Soccer is a little more nuanced since everyone can hear you, and the vitriol is usually reserved for the referee, but here are the varying levels, depending on who you want to be on the sidelines.

Beginner grandparent? "Boot it!" "Handball!" "He's holding!" "Run!" "Get the ball!" "Talk!" and my favorite, usually yelled at the young family member playing, "If he/she is holding (pushing, etc) then do it back. They aren't calling it!" This is usually followed by, and you really need to use the disgusted tone for this one, "This game is gonna get out of hand if the ref doesn't start to hand out cards."

Experienced, but not expert level: "C'mon, don't just boot it!" "Play it out of the back!" "Keep it on the deck!" "Support!"

Expert, but probably just watched youtube videos on the game: "Get it in the mixer!" "Play the knockdown" "Step up!"

Pretentious a**: "Answer the question!" "That is offside!" "Do you know the laws of the game?" "I know it is in your opinion, but it stinks!" The nuances here are deep. First, this is coach speak for those who have taken the coaching courses. The second one is there can only be offside, not offsides, because only one direction is offside, the other is on side. And the rules of soccer are referred to as the laws of the game, not the rules. And in each one, it starts with "In the opinion of the referee..."

Completely tongue in cheek, but I hope this helps.

That’s funny!

Thanks.... I have to stay out of this thread now. Ear worm again.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

That’s funny!

Thanks.... I have to stay out of this thread now. Ear worm again.

TIL - it's actually called The Streetbeater by Quincy Jones.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Apparently my parent guide to guide to fandom wasn't well received.

But, I my child participated in one golf tournament... you read that correctly, 1. It was a 3 hole tourney for 4/5 year olds, and they played a short par 3 with a bunker in the front with a lip about 2' high. All 8 kids went in the bunker. Now my kid had grown up in bunkers, you know, building castles, raking, hitting shots out of the bunker, sand angels... the normal stuff kids do when you are the last group on the course knowing the power raker is coming through at 6AM the next day before anyone played again. And for the record, I would rake the traps after the times spent in there.

My child stepped into the bunker and blasted out to about 20' from the hole (and then gloriously 4 putted after everyone got out). But the excitement of getting out first try was palpable. The other kids swung, and swung, and swung for what seemed like forever. When one kid finally broke down crying, the pro who was there to make sure the parents didn't go off the deep end said, "Everyone, just pick your ball up and throw it onto the green." So there is my kid on the green waiting patiently while these kids toss their balls onto the green and much closer than she was.

Proud dad thinks to himself, "Man, that was the turning point in this tournament and my kid is going to be a superstar! The only kid to get out of the trap, what a talent! They kicked the crap out of those other kids!"

At the trophy ceremony, we were given the 4th place trophy. I never said a thing to my child except how proud I was, but they knew the score. Next year I asked if they wanted to do it again, and the answer was, "No."

The kids mine "kicked the crap out of?" Two are playing college golf and one won the club championship last summer.

[EDIT] Since none of the other kids got out, they decided to make it a two hole tournament.

Apparently my parent guide to guide to fandom wasn't well received.

But, I my child participated in one golf tournament... you read that correctly, 1. It was a 3 hole tourney for 4/5 year olds, and they played a short par 3 with a bunker in the front with a lip about 2' high. All 8 kids went in the bunker. Now my kid had grown up in bunkers, you know, building castles, raking, hitting shots out of the bunker, sand angels... the normal stuff kids do when you are the last group on the course knowing the power raker is coming through at 6AM the next day before anyone played again. And for the record, I would rake the traps after the times spent in there.

My child stepped into the bunker and blasted out to about 20' from the hole (and then gloriously 4 putted after everyone got out). But the excitement of getting out first try was palpable. The other kids swung, and swung, and swung for what seemed like forever. When one kid finally broke down crying, the pro who was there to make sure the parents didn't go off the deep end said, "Everyone, just pick your ball up and throw it onto the green." So there is my kid on the green waiting patiently while these kids toss their balls onto the green and much closer than she was.

Proud dad thinks to himself, "Man, that was the turning point in this tournament and my kid is going to be a superstar! The only kid to get out of the trap, what a talent! They kicked the crap out of those other kids!"

At the trophy ceremony, we were given the 4th place trophy. I never said a thing to my child except how proud I was, but they knew the score. Next year I asked if they wanted to do it again, and the answer was, "No."

The kids mine "kicked the crap out of?" Two are playing college golf and one won the club championship last summer.

[EDIT] Since none of the other kids got out, they decided to make it a two hole tournament.

This is why you know nothing about junior golf! Enough said as they will be locking this thread soon too.