Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

I have come back to these after 3 months with the 760’s. I love how the 760’s look and feel, would love to carry on with them, but I just couldn’t live with the 1 1/2-2 clubs I lost in distance... hitting an 8 from 150 yards is better than hitting a 6 any day.....

Are those yardages accurate?

I play P770s and only hit a 6 iron 150. I've been toying with the idea of switching to irons that give me more distance like you mentioned. In any case, the fact that you play to a + handicap with (what appear to be) the same distances as I do gives me cause for optimism!

I moved from P770 to P790 and gained 1 club. And my 8 still launches like an 8, and lands like an 8.

Exactly what I told when I got fitted for these in 2017. I was concerned about the lofts, and lower spin compared to my old clubs. He showed me that I was getting the same launch, and decent angle as my old clubs, but with better distance and dispersion especially on mishits. That was the end of my concerns about lofts, speedfoam, etc.

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* -  Ventus Black TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus Blue TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 19* - Ventus Blue TR
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up this P-790 3 iron with dynamic gold 105 S300 stiff.

E1-E13-BF9-AC4-D-4-FB7-86-A2-B15-D0626-F401.jpg

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

I think a lot of the concern related to low spin of the 790’s occurs when people compare the number on the club (7 iron to 7 iron). While the numbers on the P790 and P760s each say 7 iron, their lofts are very different.

Exactly, compare spin with lofts. I hate the idea of comparing two clubs that are 3-5 degrees apart. Might as well compare the 790 7 iron to the 760 6 iron.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't appear we are going to see any significant price decreases on the 790's until at least 2020, which is unusual for a TM iron set.

The 790's continue to fare very well against the newer (2019) iron designs from other Golf Equipment brands within the Retail space..

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Received my custom p790 3 iron bent 1° strong to 18° from taylormade. Played 18 holes today..wow very impressed! Very long off the tee as a driving iron and easy to hit off the fairway. Probably most forgiving and long 3 iron/2 iron I've ever hit, ball rockets off the face.

Thinking of getting one of these myself. Could you tell me how much it was? Also, why did you have it bent one degree stronger.

Im incredibly jealous of your results. I really, really believe this comes down to the launch/speed profile of the player. For higher speed/spin players I think this set is likely a freaking godsend.

I had the exact same issue with the CF16 irons - so it's not me crapping on the 790s. In fact I am meeting with a club builder this week to see if there's a shaft profile that might give me higher launch/spin to counteract my 790 issues. But I also have 760s right now, and find the distance management for me to be much better, I just like the feel of the 790s way better. I understand its a tradeoff with the construction.

If you can work with the lighter weight try the Nippon 950s. I'm around the 105 driver s.s mark and using the off the shelf 950 in stiff albeit at +1". Great combo for me.

I also had great success in the fitting with Shimada Constants which are similar, albeit a bit rare to find to demo.

I tried the 790 in Nippon 950GH shafts at a demo day and wow. It was one demo and only about 10 shots with a 7 iron but they were really good. After having the 790 w/Modus 105 and not likeing them at all. They are in the running for 2019. The best I hit on that demo day were the 790 w/950 shafts and the PING G410.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I've been liking my UDI, but I might cut it down at least a half inch to an inch. Would help with gapping from my AP2 4 iron as well. Anyone cut their 790s shorter at all?

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

I've been liking my UDI, but I might cut it down at least a half inch to an inch. Would help with gapping from my AP2 4 iron as well. Anyone cut their 790s shorter at all?

Just keep an eye on swingweight. The UDI's often come out light at standard length, so shortening could easily take them into the high C's swingweight range

Received my custom p790 3 iron bent 1° strong to 18° from taylormade. Played 18 holes today..wow very impressed! Very long off the tee as a driving iron and easy to hit off the fairway. Probably most forgiving and long 3 iron/2 iron I've ever hit, ball rockets off the face.

Thinking of getting one of these myself. Could you tell me how much it was? Also, why did you have it bent one degree stronger.

I paid $173 with tax shipped from Taylormade. I had it bent to play as a 2 iron/driving iron, I have 3 iron in my mp54 set at 21°.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

• 2 weeks later...

First round and range session in the books. My swing, right now, is almost as bad as Roy McAvoy's on the range before the first round of the US Open.....However

Shot my best round of the year, while not saying much due to the fact it is only March and I had been plying like crap, it is still a sign for hope.

As for the "mysterious" 20 yard bombs that "randomly" occur for some people I did not see anything remotely similar. I had to adjust to the fact that

A. Temps were low Saturday morning

B. These irons are at least a 1/2 club longer(almost same lofts) as my Srixon's

Even with that, I never once saw the mysterious mashed shot. I hit 4 or 5 absolutely nut pure which ended up just past flag high. (I was guessing on how much farther than my Srixons these went, plus how much the cold damp weather was affecting them) and I hit a couple super thin, but they still ended up around flag high.

One round is a small sample size, but I stayed on the range for an additional hour after eating some lunch and hit 90% of the shots with my irons and even though it was off the mats, I still never saw these miraculous murdered shots. I am a lower ball flight guy normally, and a high spin player, so maybe these fit the high spin players better than low or mid spin players and that is where these shots are coming from. However after talking to 5 players at my club that have the P790's and 4 are under a handicap of 3 and the other is a 6 not a single one of them mentioned flyer shots or trouble with distance control. That and based on my fitting are why I purchased, and so far I am really happy.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Anyone consider converting their 790’s to single length? I’m seriously considering testing with the 5 & 6 irons in my set. The concept makes perfect sense to me but not enough to commit to changing the whole set before testing. Interested if anyone has any experience with this.

I didn't try for single length -- too many adjustments -- but I've created a modified set in which I use 1/4 inch gaps between irons. I'm a tall golfer and this lets me maintain the length in the short irons where I need it without the added length in the long irons where it just creates consistency problems. So my set is:

5 iron = +0.0 over standard (37.75") SW D2

6 iron = +1/4 over standard (37.50") SW D3.5

7 iron = +1/2 over standard (37.25") SW D5

8 iron = +3/4 over standard (37.00") SW D6.5

9 iron = +1.0 over standard (36.75") SW D8

P iron = +1.0 over standard (36.50") SW D8

My distance gaps are normal, and I'm much more consistent with the longer irons, which are shorter and lighter than my previous standard (+1 inch). The only catch is that this setup produces ascending swing weights, but that is a plus not a minus for me. I like my clubs getting lighter as they get longer (same concept as AWT but with changes produced by headweight rather than shaft weight). Works great. I'll never go back to +1 length in longer irons. It honestly makes no sense and is a fitting issue (for taller golfers anyway) that the industry should start to address. Show me a guy playing +1 or longer lengths and I'll show you a guy who struggles to hit his long irons consistently -- or, at least a guy who could hit them MUCH more consistently with closer to standard lengths at that end of the bag.

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to use my tax break and get a set to try out. I am using CF-16's at the moment and figured I should compare the two and see what stays in the bag. Irons are still the one thing in the bag I seem to never figure out. After all the positive comments we'll see!

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Still the best set of irons I have ever played in 30 plus years playing this crazy game.

No fliers for me. Just solid distances that I rely on.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Got mine today and did some chipping in the yard with the pw. It is very soft, and control is great. So far very pleased and will put them in play sat. Thinking of pulling my 5 and 6 hybrids for the 5 and 6 iron, but the hybrids are great clubs, not sure if this would be wise?

Bag is in overhaul mode

I picked up a set yesterday. A buddy of mine has been playing them for several months. I’ve always liked hitting his. Ready to go play today!!!

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

Played sat and these irons are very soft off the face. I was trying a new ball the AVX , and was getting great distance off everything. The 7 iron stood out as a real weapon. I need more time to get the 9 iron dialed in on chips. These are fun irons. i don't hit hard enough for fliers! LOL!

Bag is in overhaul mode

Just one month into mine at 1 deg flat in the KBS CTL.....still getting used to this shaft, but starting to realize this is a true distance iron.

Primarily I have played 1-pc. forged MB lines - Honma & Callaway, and these P790s feel very good in comparisons on a flush for me shot.

I got them in that shaft to just ease it up on an aging player :# .....My MBs sets prior (also had some Mizunos) were in shafts of 115g up to 128g.

I always play a draw with my iron shots, and have seen no less curve using the TM vs. prior - I did keep the Razr MBs! :p

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

• 9 months later...

Just off the course now. On the 11th par 3 I hit an 8 iron. Heard a weird click sound when I hit the ball. Came up 10 yards short - weird I thought.

looked at the face at hit has cracked. 25 years playing golf & ive never seen it happen before. Small crack at the bottom of the face.

would anyone know the email address for taylormade Europe?

• 5 months later...

I'm going on 3 years with my P790's and I have nothing bad to say about them as these are some remarkable irons. Had the chance to go to PXG back when I bought these and glad I went with the P790.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I'm leaving them but only on good terms as I'm getting close to retirement age so I'm making the switch back to a set that got me started interested in golfing, and that's PING. I have a set of G710's 4 thru PW with Steelfiber shafts coming sometime in August. I will miss them as they have been very good to me. I'm not going to say the PING G710's will be any better as anyone who buys the P790 will be very pleased

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Basically this club is popular for a few reasons, but the initial attraction is golfers want to look like they are good enough to play blades, but in reality they could really use a game improvement club with jacked lofts... perfect, the p790.

The hollow headed, thin faced, foam filled irons are like dating a hot girl that can't read. Might seem great at first, and then you realize it's just plain dumb. At some point you have to leave the launch monitor and go play golf, and when you do, having a 7 iron that goes 230 yards and leaving yourself huge gaps between irons, and getting inconsistent distances, isn't going to help your game.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

speedfoam-bnr.png

Your irons are on steroids. There's photographic evidence. Put your hands in the air and slowly put down your 23 degree utility pitching wedges.

And some of you are facing serious time using a "bag full of drivers". Only one driver per bag gentleman... if I can even call you that.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

I was playing P770 earlier in the year and couldnt get used to the lack of distance. I played Srixon Z745s before that which were close in loft just slightly stronger and i was a full club shorter with the 770s. Picked up a set of 790s bent 2 degrees weak so they are similar to the 770s in loft and got my normal yardages back. The thing i like the best about them is i lose virtually no distance on miss hits. When i miss hit the 770s to a middle flag i would come up 10 yards short of the green with the 790s i still end up on the front of the green which has been really nice.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 2 Rescue @18.5* LAGP AXS RED 85HX
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback No.1

Taylormade TP5X 2024

That's so funny as almost every brand has jacked up lofts or injected with something. Are you a PXG hater or just TaylorMad, just curious. You either love em or hate em. I love em as I'm getting up their in age so if they give me more confidence and boost my ego who wouldn't want that

It was a joke

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

I figured that as I was basically wanting to know what are you are playing. It was funny

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking about switching to this as a "3.5" iron from my current MP-20 HMB. Can it be flighted down, and are the distances consistent (albeit longer)? Does the 2019 or 2017 perform better in this regard?

Wondering if it's versatile enough to hit off the tee, from thick stuff, and able to do the normal iron type stuff (knockdowns, partial shots, flighting in the wind, etc.) with predictable distances. Finding the HMB too spinny and very awkward at address due to the elongated face....almost like the sweet spot isn't where it should be. I hit a lot of shots that look good but feel awful, and it's not a great wind club. I'm hoping this is a better alterntative.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck