Ping G400 Max vs. Ping G410 Plus

NorbooNorboo Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
edited Feb 28, 2019 6:14pm in Equipment #1
Any real world by average golfer reviews? Is it worth the upgrade? Is 410 longer and more forgiving than the 400?

How is the 410 SFT vs. 400 SFT?
Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F3 and F5
Hybrid: Ping G400 3 & 5
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland CBX 50, 58
Putter: Honma CB8055 since 1989
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X

Backup/Benched
Driver: Ping G20
Fairway Wood: Tour Edge EX10 Beta 4 wood GD Tour AD F
Hybrid: Ping G400 4 hybrid
Putter: S.C. Golo 3

Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

Comments

• gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,331 ✭✭
    Head to head, I have a feeling that the differences are minimal, or even non-existing.

Now, if you pick one off the rack and happen to get a shaft that works for your move, you might find buried treasure. You never know. A dollar and a dream.
    Boyhood, like measles, is one of those complaints which a man should catch young and have done with it, for when it comes in middle life it is apt to be serious. - P. G. Wodehouse
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.
  • mantanmantan Members Posts: 2,518 ✭✭
    edited Feb 28, 2019 7:19pm #3
    I never get this line of thinking. The 400max is so freaking good, I can't imagine turning around a few months later and expecting the next club to be significantly better. PING stuff usually gets incrementally better and occasionally has a good leap. The Max was one of those good leaps.
    WITB (as of 3/28/19)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    PING Stealth ES Glide 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    PING Sigma 2 Fetch
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis
  • wutnotwutnot Members Posts: 1
    I am not a good golfer. I carry my driver 200 on a good day. The max feels bulky to me and I lose control of squaring up the head with the stick Alta 55 reg shaft. I hit the 410 plus in neutral setting with the stock Alta reg shaft and it just worked for my swing. I was able to be consistent with striking in the middle and control the head better. And I was able to really go after the swing and load the shaft well. I am not sure on the difference between the shafts but the new one was better for me.
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,682 ✭✭
    I didn't like the sound or feel of the 400 max, so I went with the reg G400. When I was fit by Ping they let me hit the new 410 and it felt and sounded great. If the G410 plus has the same sound, I'd go with that.
    Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s (In Play) / Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105s (Standing By)
    MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and RTX 3 Raw 58* 
     Bettinardi '16 BB1 / '16 Bettinardi Tiki /  '17 Studio Stock 8
    Chrome Soft / TP5/ Wilson Staff FG Tour
  • wobgonwobgon Members Posts: 7,502 ✭✭
    RainShadow wrote:

I didn't like the sound or feel of the 400 max, so I went with the reg G400. When I was fit by Ping they let me hit the new 410 and it felt and sounded great. If the G410 plus has the same sound, I'd go with that.

Isn't the 410 and the 410 plus the same thing?
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Members Posts: 570 ✭✭
    mantan wrote:

I never get this line of thinking. The 400max is so freaking good, I can't imagine turning around a few months later and expecting the next club to be significantly better. PING stuff usually gets incrementally better and occasionally has a good leap. The Max was one of those good leaps.

The advantage of the G410 Plus over the G400Max is adjustability, at the cost of a little forgiveness.

The Max only comes in 2 lofts (yes you can digitally loft) and the hotel has limited adjustability.

The 410 comes in more lofts, has more settings on the hotel and you can move the weight into a draw or fade position. This gives you or your fitter far more options to fit the driver correctly to your personal swing tendencies.
  • 3_Putt_Par3_Putt_Par Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. Members Posts: 879 ✭✭
    At a recent demo day, I brought my Max to hit head to head against the 410 Plus. Thankfully they had a Trackman unit so I didn't have to go by ball flight alone.

For me, I got pretty much the same numbers from both of them, however my dispersion was better with my gamer which I attribute to the shaft, since the only comparable shaft they had was the stock Tour shaft. The 410 did sound better and the additional adjustability is a great addition. If dialed in, the 410 could perhaps give me a few more yards, but not enough for me to fork out the dough for a new driver. That being said, the hybrid and fairway wood are seriously under consideration for spots in the bag this year.
    9* Ping G400 Max w/ Tour AD GP 7
    14.5* PRGR EGG HD w/ P9003
    18* Titleist 917F2 w/ Diamana BF 80
    24* Honma TW-U w/ Vizard IB 105
    5-PW Callaway Legacy Black (2011) w/ Modus3 125
    52/08 OnOff 2015 Kuro Forged Wedge Black Finish
    56/12 Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth w/ Modus3 125
    60/08 Fourteen RM 21 w/ Modus 125 Wedge
    Ever rotating 3 Putting implement of humiliation
  • vpexpvpexp Members Posts: 58 ✭✭
    My gamer is a G400 Max. I recently had a fitting at Hot Stix and we found that tha a Kyoshi Black shaft gave me the best results in my Max. Tried lots of other heads and shafts but overall the GMax with the Kyoshi was best. The last thing we did was try the 410 with that shaft. Got a touch better numbers with that combination, not enough to notice on the course though, but more importantly to me the sound, feel and dispersion were better with the 410 for me. I could easily make the case to just change to the Kyoshi Black shaft and stick with the 400 Max head, but I decided to get the 410 plus head as well, just liked hitting it better and felt like I had more control.
  • ORTORT Members Posts: 144 ✭✭
    vpexp wrote:
    My gamer is a G400 Max. I recently had a fitting at Hot Stix and we found that tha a Kyoshi Black shaft gave me the best results in my Max. Tried lots of other heads and shafts but overall the GMax with the Kyoshi was best. The last thing we did was try the 410 with that shaft. Got a touch better numbers with that combination, not enough to notice on the course though, but more importantly to me the sound, feel and dispersion were better with the 410 for me. I could easily make the case to just change to the Kyoshi Black shaft and stick with the 400 Max head, but I decided to get the 410 plus head as well, just liked hitting it better and felt like I had more control.

I see you and a couple others mention the sound. How would you compare the sound of the 410 to the 400max? After hitting the max in my garage range for a few balls my ears are ringing. After about 20 I've had enough. Wondering if the 410 is a little more muted.
  • bluerrpilotbluerrpilot Members Posts: 288 ✭✭
    mantan wrote:

Because a manufacture is not making money unless they are producing a new product
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,682 ✭✭
    wobgon wrote:

RainShadow wrote:

Isn't the 410 and the 410 plus the same thing?

Wasn't aware that was the case. I didn't remember the "plus" part.
    Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s (In Play) / Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105s (Standing By)
    MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and RTX 3 Raw 58* 
     Bettinardi '16 BB1 / '16 Bettinardi Tiki /  '17 Studio Stock 8
    Chrome Soft / TP5/ Wilson Staff FG Tour
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,849 ✭✭
    I love my LST but when the new one comes out, if it feels better and I can set if flatter and toe weight then I may spend the dough

The LST three wood will likely crack my starting lineup
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • KARL MKARL M Members Posts: 656 ✭✭
    Eraser hearing protection will reduce the sound level while beating balls in your basement, while still being able to hear music, or someone talking. Their very comfortable to wear.
    G400Max 10.5 Driver Red tie 6Q3 stiff
    917 F2 Fairway 16.5* Speeder TS mod 74 stiff
    917 F2 Fairway 21* Speeder TS mod 74 stiff
    Cobra F6 23.5* Hybrid White Tie Firm flex
    Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex
    Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
    Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
    Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
    Scotty Newport 2, prov1x, Kangaroo-hillcrest AB
    KARL M wrote:
    Eraser hearing protection will reduce the sound level while beating balls in your basement, while still being able to hear music, or someone talking. Their very comfortable to wear.

Do you have a link?
  • Hookasaurus RexHookasaurus Rex Purveyor of fine turf Members Posts: 1,062 ✭✭
    RainShadow wrote:

I felt the same way when I owned the 400 Max. I much preferred the LST...
    Cobra King F9 Avalanche 9* Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX
    Cobra King LTD 3-4w Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Titleist 913h 19* Aldila Tour Green 85hs
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 4-GW Nippon Modus 3 105x
    Cobra King Black 54*, 58* Modus Wedge 115
    PXG Bat Attack 35” 400g
  • t4t3rt4t3r Members Posts: 2,706 ✭✭
    The Max is loud, even on the course for me. Luckily I was able to demo one before putting into play the one I picked up. She went right back. A little hot melt I'm sure would do a lot for the sound but that cut down my weight options quite a bit as the head I had was on the chunky side.

Looking forward to trying out the 410 at some point.
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 10.5* - Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 60TX
    Callaway Alpha 816 DBD 14* - Diamana D+ 70x
    Titleist 913H 21* - Matrix Altus X
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 5-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 56.08M
    Callaway MD4 Raw 60.08C
    Taylormade Spider X
    t4t3r wrote:
    The Max is loud, even on the course for me.

I took it to the range one time since I bought it and people were looking at me to see what all the racket was about!
  • Arlin964Arlin964 Members Posts: 79 ✭✭
    I finished a driver fitting at club champion today. My first visit 2 mo the ago they put me into the G400 Max. At the time I didn’t love the feel, but I can’t argue with MOI since my main struggle is consistency in strike location.

Today I hit both the G400Max and the G410 Plus.

Dispersion and total distance was very similar between the two, but G410 Plus felt significantly better to me, and the sound was slightly better than 400 Max.

Add the adjustability of the 410 and I was easily convinced I liked it better. I PLAN to get better with strike location, so as I get better I can change the weight out of the Draw bias.

Walked out with a new driver 10 business days away for the first time since 2012.

Fitting information side comment - I game a TaylorMade R1. My fitter said he wouldn’t let someone pay him to try to get me into a TM driver. Said they’re nowhere near as forgiving as the ping drivers.

As with everything, keep that grain of salt nearby, but I had no reason to distrust the fitter. He knew all kinds of data about me just by watching me swing.
    TaylorMade R1 10.5*
    Ping Anser 3w
    Callaway Rogue X - 3h, 4h, 5h
    Nickent 6DX - 6-PW
    Wilson Staff PMP 50*
    Cleveland CBX 56*
    Odyssey #7s O-Works
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members Posts: 456 ✭✭
    What setting shall be used to have it similar to an SFT?
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,119 ✭✭
    Marco Colo wrote:

Start by putting the weight towards the heel, then increase the loft if you want the face a bit more closed.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • NorbooNorboo Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    Marco Colo wrote:

Just on a draw bias.

Note: G410 SFT is super draw bias vs. G400 SFT. G410 Plus on Draw bias is same as G400 SFT in terms of draw bias.

Backup/Benched

• J9293J9293 Members Posts: 324 ✭✭
    A properly fit G400 Max should beat out a properly fit G410 plus. The max is more forgiving (objectively) and ballspeeds should be the same if you hit both on the sweet spot since the CT and COR have been at their limits already.
    Driver: [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Ping G400 Max - HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 6.0[/font]
    3 Wood:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Ping G400 - Alta CB[/font]
    Hybrid:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Ping G400 - Alta CB[/font]
    Irons: [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Bridgestone J40 DPC - LZ 6.0[/font]
    Wedges:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Callaway X-Forged - S300[/font]
    Putter:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Scotty Cameron Red X5[/font]
    Ball:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Titleist Pro V1x[/font]
  • NorbooNorboo Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    J9293 wrote:

A properly fit G400 Max should beat out a properly fit G410 plus. The max is more forgiving (objectively) and ballspeeds should be the same if you hit both on the sweet spot since the CT and COR have been at their limits already.

Any data to support your theory?

Backup/Benched

• sailfishchrissailfishchris Members Posts: 896 ✭✭
    I thought the G410 was just an improvement on adjustability ...flatter lies and such. It's at 455cc -so just below the 400Max at 460cc. So I would think it's going to be pretty forgiving just based on it's a size Ping has a good track record with previously (G30, G) Full disclosure: I absolutely love my G400 so i won't be upgrading
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Synergy Proto 65TX
    Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Orange 80 TX
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Super Peening Blue X
    Vokey SM6 raw 52, 56, 60 DGTI-s400
    Toulon Memphis
    ProV1X
    Jones Player 003/ Jones Utility Trouper
    All this talk has me thinking about going to the next Ping demo day and doing a comparison between my 400max and 410. I do like the adjustability of the 410.....
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,376 ✭✭
    edited Mar 1, 2019 6:50pm #27
    410 Plus IMO is better in almost every way. Lower spin, better ball speed, and adjustable weights (leads to better fitting). Max is not a bad club by any means but there's a reason everyone on tour switched out of the max so quickly. I say be a **** and upgrade image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Project X HZRDUS Black Smoke 70 6.5
    Callaway Epic Flash 3+  / Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
    Is it wrong to upgrade when I haven't even had the 400 out on the course yet??? I think I might have a problem.
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,376 ✭✭
    edited Mar 1, 2019 6:52pm #29
    ORT wrote:

Is it wrong to upgrade when I haven't even had the 400 out on the course yet??? I think I might have a problem.

You're an Eagles fan so you get a free pass. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Project X HZRDUS Black Smoke 70 6.5
    Callaway Epic Flash 3+  / Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
    J13 wrote:
    ORT wrote:

You're an Eagles fan so you get a free pass. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Hahaha, thanks!
  • Olde MaroonOlde Maroon Playing your old gear Members Posts: 375 ✭✭
    J13 wrote:

410 Plus IMO is better in almost every way. Lower spin, better ball speed, and adjustable weights (leads to better fitting). Max is not a bad club by any means but there's a reason everyone on tour switched out of the max so quickly. I say be a **** and upgrade image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

I have no basis for arguing one is better than the other, but the reason tour players switch is almost entirely based on what their sponsor agreements require them to do. You can bet every club manufacturer pays a huge premium to get their players in the newest driver ASAP. Using tour players as a reference is seriously flawed.